/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

chrono.gg/ziggyd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm pretty sure alchemy 10 is actually stronger than crafting 10. Crafting gives you constant big bonuses at no additional cost, but +50% damage berserk and 10 damage poison are excellent without even getting into the absolutely insane shit like 6 AP extended stimulants.

How do I not get raped by archers as a squishy character?

After 200 hours in the game I would say that all things considered they are pretty much equal but one can be better than the other depending on the build.

10 crafting means +5 damage from whetstones, compared to just +1 with no crafting.

The best gear you can find is mostly blue steel with level 4 upgrades. 10 crafting lets you makes sky metal stuff with level 5 upgrades. There is some stuff made from sky metal and blue steel with level 5 upgrades but those are extremaly rare and won't be of any use to most builds.

Crafting is especially good for crossbows because it allows you to craft pic related (unique hand crossbow, only 1 AP to shoot and only 2 AP to reload) and it's the only way to get a scoped crossbow with any upgrades.

Crafting is also very good for bows- best arrows you can find without crafting are steel with +3 damage, with 10 crafting you can make sky metal arrows with +5 damage.

What you said about alchemy is true, high level stuff is amazing, but not as amazing as it seems at first glance.

>+50% damage berserk
With a significant THC penalty. THC is usually a bigger concern. Enemies that are easy to hit are usually easy to kill anyways.

>10 damage poison
You can make 4 damage poisons with only 4 alchemy or loot them from scorpions/scolopendras. If you joined Boatmen and managed to keep Colton alive he gives you a 6 damage vial as a reward.

While poison is great 90% of the time, there are cases where it's almost useless. Al-Sahir has so many antidotes poison does almost nothing to him, demons from Inferiae/Zamedi, constructs and final boss are immune to poison, etc.

> 6 AP extended stimulants
Widowmaker from the Arena holds a 5 AP 25% THC stimulant. Thieves can find AP 5 25% THC one is Ganezzar tunnels. You can find quite a bit of +4 ones, too.

Another thing- crafting is much more useful fro interacting with pre-war tech. Alchemy gets checks to blow stuff up or poison someone from time to time, but it's not nearly as significant.

Does Alchemy 10's poison really do 10 damage? That doesn't sound like a great upgrade over Alchemy 8's 9 damage.

Alchemy 2: 3 damage, 9 total, 5 SP to unlock
Alchemy 4: 5 damage, 15 total, 20 SP to upgrade
Alchemy 6: 7 damage, 21 total, 30 SP to upgrade
Alchemy 8: 9 damage, 27 total, 40 SP to upgrade
Alchemy 9: potent, 9 damage, 45 total, 25 SP to upgrade

8 to 9 is a huge jump, but even compared to the rest this:
Alchemy 10: 10 damage, 30 total, potent 50 total, 35 SP to upgrade
doesn't sound like such a fantastic improvement.

I thought Age of Decadence was about romans?

It is.

With fantasy/sci-fi elements, but they are generally very low-key.

The factions are mostly Roman, but many of the characters, the locations, the weapons, the mythology are Arabian inspired. And then at the core there is some science fiction, but you won't encounter it often.

Niko is such a cute.

Superficially roman, but it's actually a mix of cultures. The setting is post-apocalyptic alt-history with elements of scifi and cosmic horror in pre-war tech.

This may sound like a total clusterfuck, but it's well written.

>post-apocalyptic alt-history with elements of scifi and cosmic horror in pre-war tech
You w0t m8

Cultures similar to roman, arabic and mongol appear but it's not set in the past. It's low magic. And magic isn't really "magic":

Yup. That's about as confusing as I can explain it.

He summed it up pretty well.

Imagine post-apocalyptic Lovecraft mixed to Tacitus.

This game really surprised me

Crafting has more generalized applications yes, I just meant in terms of raw combat power. The thing is, Crafting tends to be needed to be paired with another skill (typically lore) or high INT to actually do much in terms of checks anyway.

Berserk Potion upgrades not only increase the damage boost, they also decrease the accuracy penalty. At level 10 you get +50% damage with only -5 THC, a damage boost so big that it arguably makes up for the sharpening/metal difference all on its own, and then you have poison on top of that as well. Good neurostimulants are very limited in number, as you yourself just described. If you were actively relying on stimulants to any significant degree you would run out extremely quickly.

The thing is crafting is basically pointless unless you're actually going to max it, while alchemist is strong at pretty much any investment level, so in a mixed situation it's generally better to prefer alchemy. I'm just saying that, if you had to choose only one, then Alchemy would probably be better because of the sheer number of raw damage boosts it provides (accuracy usually becomes less of an issue after the earlygame). It's also obviously better if you don't have the points to max one at all. Something like 10 crafting 6 alchemy would be stronger than 6 crafting 10 alchemy however, mostly just because crafting gets you an entire additional equipment tier (which is frankly a little silly).

>so in a mixed situation it's generally better to prefer crafting
fixed

So I started decadence as a loremaster with a lot of talking skills, just arrived at madoraan after fixind up those machines in the cave, gaelius offered me to make an oath but I refused figuring that I'll stick with merchant guild for now. So my question is, how many factions can I "belong" to at once? Was that a bad decision to turn down the oath? They seem like the most alright house so far (I mean, artefacts and stuff seems the most compelling thing to me for now).

If you get skill points because you already have training in a skill you receive training toward, do those skill points get multiplied by your INT bonus?

>(accuracy usually becomes less of an issue after the earlygame)
Not in the most difficult fights. The final boss has ridiculous defense rating, especially vs ranged. Levir enforcers after you finish Ganezzar questline are pretty hard to hit as well.

>Something like 10 crafting 6 alchemy would be stronger than 6 crafting 10 alchemy
Yeah and that's why I usually go with 10 crafting and 4 alchemy. I can afford that much and 4 alchemy is much better than 4 crafting.

>mostly just because crafting gets you an entire additional equipment tier (which is frankly a little silly).
There is some sky metal gear here and there. Widowmaker has a sky metal 2-handed axe with level 5 upgrades, Zamedi demon has a pair of sky metal swords and daggers, etc.

>So my question is, how many factions can I "belong" to at once?
One.

> Was that a bad decision to turn down the oath?
Eh, there are no "bad decisions", you will just play as a merchant, but I would say Aurelian Praetor is hands down the best questline for loremasters.

Pretty much all Aurelian Praetor quests are related to pre-war stuff. Being an Aurelian Praetor is the only way to visit Darius Tomb and acquire the Helm of Destiny.

Gaelius has a loremaster that could teach you lore/persuasion/etiquette.

Hell, you were invited to Gaelius exactly because you were a loremaster, that should give you the clue.

Why is Strength so insane as a stat?

Newbie Trap stat. Pick Dex

You also completly ignored that alchemy is almost only offensive (liquid fire that lasts longer being a notable exception for ranged) while crafting also offers superior defense.

Look at pic related, 12 fucking DR and 11 max AP with only 20 dodge penalty and no sneak penalty. Would be 13 if I was willing to spend that much sky metal on armor (you can get 20 lbs if you give the power armor to Valla but I want to take a power tube instead).

Compare that to Al-Sahir armor that also allows 11 AP has only 9 DR, 15 dodge penalty and 2 sneak penalty. Yeah it has 5 dodge penalty less, but 3 DR more than makes up to it. No sneak penalty can be a big deal for some builds, too.

If you wanted 12 max AP you could make a segmentata with 10 DR.

The murmillo helmet in the pic has 9 DR and no THC penalties.

Dumping STR as a melee character is the biggest noob trap in the game. Ultimately the game can be broken in half by kiting which renders raw damage largely unnecessary, but for non-kiting builds the STR package is far, far more functional than any kind of low-STR melee build.

DR potions and regeneration though.

>DR potions
Fair enough.

>regeneration
Is going to get you killed in the final boss fight and tend to be a shitty deal without high CON and DR.

If you have low CON should you really be that worried about DR in the first place?

Even with 10 dodge you are not going to dodge everything.

12 DR at the cost of 20 dodge is a really good deal. Much better than 9 DR at 15 penalty or 5 with no penalty with the unique ordu armor. DR gets progressively better the higher it is.

It's not like dodge doesn't get better the higher you stack it as well. Depending on the enemy that 20% could double your chance to get hit.

In any case, the point is simply that if you're surviving multiple hits in the course of a fight then you in high likelihood have time for that 5 HP to refund itself.

I've got $15 in Microsoft Rewards. I'm not sure what to spend them on.

The only conditions are that it must be available through the Microsoft Store and playable on XBox One or Mac computer.

Some games I like: Life is Strange, Harvest Moon 64, Ancient Domains of Mystery [ADOM], The Sims 3, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure and the original Doom. I'm partially way through Firewatch and enjoying it thus far.

What does /indie/ recommend?

If only Belgutai knew this was the first time he got me out of the something like 20 fights we had in the past 30 minutes.

How do shields and dodge interact? I tried making a character with 4 shield and 4 dodge, but in the opening fight he doesn't ever seem to actually block anything.

>buying games

Why did you fight him 20 times then?

>How do shields and dodge interact?
They cancel each other out. If you failed to dodge, block isn't going to be checked.

> I tried making a character with 4 shield and 4 dodge
Don't. It's one or the other.

Because I'm trying to break this quest. The Ordu camp doesn't allow you to start combat, unless you provoke the khan, or challenge Belgutai. The former is in a tent though, so that's not good enough.

Now the problem is that attacking anyone else while fighting the guy doesn't aggro anyone except the one you attacked, and when the last hostile dies combat automatically ends. So to kill the entire camp I'd have to do a chain where there always has to be at least one hostile enemy until they are all gone.

Never mind, I don't have to aggro them one by one, they just have to be in line of sight when one of them gets hit. That's much better.

If you are an Aurelian Praetor, you can provoke all the 20+ guards in the Haran Pass to fight.

You are only supposed to survive running away from the pass, but I wonder what would happen if you actually managed to kill them all. SAdly I couldn't manage to do that, there was too many and ranged builds are fucked when surrounded from literally all sides.

Make a spear guy. 10 spears with a masterwork spear gets you 100% AoO chance. Then die to archers.

>Then die to archers.
If they were all melee I would just come with 20 liquid fires and spam them.

The trouble is half of them are archers and pillum throwers. When you get shot at 5-10 times a turn you are bound to be hit.

Nevermind, I actually found the tube somewhere else and took the sky metal. I could afford to make a full set of armor, helmet and 59 bolts.

I'm pretty sure I'm as fucking badass as it gets and should be able to kill the final boss. Maybe even without the canister.

Almost had them this time. Killed Balgutai, the khan, his four guards, the three warriors standing around the fire, and the archer near the ring, but couldn't attack a new target in time.

>tfw I wanted to help and Googled M$ Rewards
>"This service is not available in your country"

>whatever, let's visit the M$ Store instead
>no option to sort games based on price
>no option to filter titles available to Mac
>games priced at $15.99 but with GOLD

Nobody can say I didn't try, but this is just a trainwreck.

Minecraft

So what's the deal with travelling between cities in age of decadence? If I want to go back to first city from the second one I get prompt about events unfolding without me, does that mean some quests autofail or anything? Should I just stick to the second city and don't travel at all except for into explicit quest locations?

There's just one big trigger for Teron

> If I want to go back to first city from the second one I get prompt about events unfolding without me, does that mean some quests autofail or anything?
Kinda. It basically means almost all significant quests (mostly guild-related ones) will be unavailable. You don't want to do this.

> Should I just stick to the second city and don't travel at all except for into explicit quest locations?
You can travel wherever you want except for Teron and Ganezzar. Once you finish your guild questline you are free to travel to both cities. Just keep in mind other significant quest such as the Abyss will be unavailable.

You are probably thinking this is retarded right now, but in a game with so many branching paths it's necessary to prevent sequence breaking.

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I have this. If I missed one somewhere I'm going to scream.

The bad news is that I had no choice, had to drink the Kool-Aid to stand a chance.

Has anybody played this? Thoughts?

chrono.gg/ziggyd

I see you are wearing a leather armor.

If you don't have any crafting and really want to stay at 0 dodge penalty, buy the unique ordu armor from the ordu trader at Madoraan trading plaza- it has 5 DR and no penalties whatsoever, probably the best overall non-crafting armor with no dodge penalty.

I have crafting. I don't know if I'll be able to get it to 10, but I probably will since it's currently at 7.

I FUCKING JINXED IT

>Thank god that changed though.
But procedurally generated random elements would increase replayability and that would go nicely with all the build diversity that makes you want to reroll every few hours. Sure, hand-crafted random elements would be even better, but that's just too much to ask from a small team already short on time.

>I have crafting
In that case you might want to craft a Manica.

A steel manica should have 5 DR. The base armor penalty is 10, with 7 crafting masterwork will reduce this to only 4, 0 at 10 crafting. It has 12 max AP, too.

>not just killing Kadmos for your free blue steel masterwork manica, 8 DR 0 THC helm, blue steel stats one-handed spear with reach, and godlike buckler

Yeah. I don't know why Microsoft won't sort games by price. Maybe to keep visitors around longer as a selling point to advertisers.

FINALLY. Now to see if it breaks anything. I hope it doesn't, I got a lot of skill points out of this crap. 1 combat SP, 9 general SP, and 1 combat training. All in all not bad, if I can keep it that is.

Yeah, I still haven't decided on my end game gear, so thanks for the advice I'll think about it. The main reason why I'm running around in leather is only partially the no dodge penalty, the other part is that I simply like how it looks. The shittiest reason, I know. But for now I can afford it.

That's an option, too.

Does killing Kadmos actually do or lose anything? It seems weird that the game will just throw such a wonderful loot pinata at you for free.

Maybe it's an apology for how hard it is to find good two-handed spears.

D:

Well this is a little awkward.

>be in imperial guard mission
>impale someone
>it crits
>lose my weapon
>can't loot it
>have to redo mission because I'd lose my spear otherwise

You are the worst attack ever holy shit

It's cool to finish the final boss with impale crit though.

Not like you are going to need this spear anymore anyways.

Okay, so killing everyone at the Ordu camp doesn't do anything, at least not in the Imperial questline. It's not acknowledged, and they still show up in full force during the siege.

Well, it's not like it was their entire army. Most likely just the main camp.

Well, yeah. But it's a main camp you could poison to weaken them.

Nah, this is fine. The skill points and training I got from it were more than enough compensation, especially since I abused the system to get them.

Well the final boss was easy after being weakened with an expired canister. He didn't even get to act at all. Bola OP pls nerf.

I was able to kill him without the canister too but that took a few reloads.

It's actually quite fun if you have an Xbox 360 controller. Would not advise playing it with a keyboard & mouse.

I'll probably pick it up later today, thanks.

Arkantos give me backj nmy crows

>Stardew Valley
Does this game live up to the hype?

I miss Niko so much.

The feel of this bit justifies the generic gameplay in the rest of the game.

Thread almost died right there.

Dead Cell is really fun so far. I haven't played any of the other metroidvanias that are on steam so it's refreshing for me.

>indie games
>no rape, ryona or loli games
the japanese and western indie scene are so different...

>Release Date: 30 May, 2014
>Current Date: 02 June, 2017
>tfw GearCity is still (!) in EA

It gets repetitive quick

is the word "shill" a bad word in English? I want to buy a domain with the word shill.

I'm not a shill btw

What did he mean by this?

Shill's just a buzzword thrown around by /v/idiots, it's used to disparage any praise raised towards a piece of media by accusing said praise of being false and meant to advertise the media

A shill is a faggot trying viral marketing.

Does "The Long Journey Home" get discussed here at all or does it have it's own thread? Has only been out a few days.

If here, anybody figured out quests yet? What's a good way to make enough credits to generally be self sufficient and not die horribly all the time?

>is the word "shill" a bad word in English?
yes

>still no good Kumo RPG

That would imply there are crappy ones out there. You holding out on us?

thanks, since it seems a derogatory term I have no trouble finding plenty of domain combinations

Now I need actual indie games to shill. Please someone hire me. I accept keys and other gifts

>dead cells now crashes whenever you try to load the final area so you can never complete a run
>certain bows can't be fired from crouch anymore
>the mech spiders are now satan and will continuously spawn bats to chase you down if you try to fight indirectly
>the new enemy nerfs the shit out of backstab builds cause you take damage if you melee it form behind
>electric whip's range is now much shorter
>no new rewards in timed rooms as promised
>bosses no longer give cells
>the damage buffer skill got nerfed into the ground so fucking hard it's fucking worthless at this point
At least the stutter is gone.

Also, oil bomb and torch is fun as fuck and they somehow made hook viable.

Sounds like they mutilated the game a bit there.

I've also heard they've introduced a fairly common error that renders a save file unusable, but I haven't had it yet. Fortunately it's not that hard to back up your saves.

I honestly am less afraid of the new mech spiders. The threat of the old ones using that AoE attack would always keep me away, while the birds just die as I slap that things shit.

>Spartan Sandels

Outdated memes aside; this is a joke weapon, right? I went full damage and it still took me a while to kick the boss from full health to dead.

I assume it's intended to be used with either the impaler or the whip.

Enemies take fall damage too so depending on the map it would be pretty good.

It's not a boss killer.

Well, there are a couple of RPGs where you can minmax like crazy, but are they fun?

And this is why you stay away from Early Access for the most part.
About the only EA game I'd suggest getting into is Factorio. Every other game has either turned out shit or released a good product with the EA phases being weaker forms of the final product to the point the final product isn't as enjoyable.

>tfw shit gets real on the Solstice route

Goddamn, I legitimately wasn't sure if everything was going to turn out ok at some points.

Minmaxing doesn't sound like fun.

I believe I already told you why it would be a terrible game.