Long distance car

Hey Veeky Forums. I need a long distance car that I can take from New York to California every two months and back. That's around 10 000km round trip so I'll need above 40MPG and have it be very reliable and able to be repaired at almost any road side mechanic.

I'm thinking of buying a VW Golf / Jetta at 200k mi with the TDI and five speed. Those have reported 44MPG on highway and are pretty easy to fix. I also plan on doing a lot of preventative maintenance so I could buy another broken down, not running VW for around $600 and harvest it for brake calipers, spare tyres, spare radiator, and anything that normally breaks down on bimonthly road trips.

Anything else you could suggest, Veeky Forums?

why are you driving that so often? what's your current car?

Have you considered flying?

Toyota Camry. High mileage proven, unparalleled reliability, rock bottom repair and maintenance costs. Plus if you're going to be driving that long of distance with an unknown amount of belongings, you seriously need to consider the interior/cargo space and overall comfort aspect. 3k mile trip in a Golf full of stuff? on purpose? multiple times?

Buying a broken down car for parts is a terrible idea. How is having an equally shitty spare radiator going to help you when you're in the middle of a drive halfway across the country?

Also, this ain't Europe, you can stop subjecting yourself to 90s VW garbage. Fuel is cheap here too.

Hell of a fucking drive
My 2007 RAV4 Sport went from cali to central Alabam and back without skipping a beat. Its not the best on gas though, and the seats are a little uncomfy when youre in the car that long

/n/shill pls go
I need to haul a trailer and goods back and forth between my two work sites. I also leave on a moment's notice so often the plane ticket's are often $800-$1000 one way and oversized luggage costs me around $200.

2015 honda pilot, 2014 civic rs, fj80 land cruiser

I'd like the diesel because then I'd be able to tow a light aluminium trailer and carry even more stuff under 1400 lbs. Plus golf / jetta has the hatchback which means loading even more.

Most of the cheap camrys I have been are pretty uncomfortable. I'd even go for corolla for the extra few grand to make me much more comfortable during the trip.

Would consider that but savings of fuel, storage space, and highway reliability are my primary concern right now.

tell your shitty company to pay for that shit

He's moving weed cross country.

Optioned up Prius

Close. Weed paraphernalia.

We ship the weed because it's still too hot to transport across states.

Too small of a company, unfortunately. Also part owner so I eat a lot of these costs.

why not just ship the paraphernalia separately?

Because I have to go down there myself too.

Honestly your best bet is a Prius. They're known to be super reliable, gas milage is good, the only issue is the battery but apparently you can service it yourself. The only issue I see is the whole trailer thing

they get highway 48 compared to the VW highway 44. that's really not that big of a boost especially since diesel costs (normally) 5% cheaper than gasoline (where i am)

get a fucking sprinter

>towing a trailer with a golf
>thinking having a 90hp 1.9 diesel makes you more capable of towing
>buying a compact hatchback for its spaciousness over a midsize sedan
>trusting your business to the reliability of a 20 year old car

You deserve whatever comes of this

Is your trailer enclosed? If so, you're dreaming if you think you're going to get 44 mpg. More like half that

So I should get a Jetta?

The trailer is for future use. Won't be doing it the first time around since I just have to transport some empty pieces of glass, circuitry, and other small items around the country.

Be prepared to possibly do a lot of work on a TDI with 200k.

Owners of these often take care of them, but there's a ton of wear items, especially if the vehicle is not well maintained.

You can do it all yourself for not a lot of coin, but it's a lot of wrenching. Those particular models are very well documented online due to the ubiquity of the chassis. You can rebuild most of the front end drivetrain/suspension for ~$500-700.

Those old 1.9 Tdi's are pretty bulletproof though.
Imo one of the best engines VAG put out.

S350 Bluetec. Disable the AdBlue system, it's the only unreliable thing about the car. The engine is the same one used in Sprinter vans
I get 50mpg on the highway in total comfort. And beleive me you want something comfortable for that long of a drive
With a 23gallon tank that's like 1100 miles of highway range

If it's out of your price range then you may want to reconsider your job and whether it's worth driving across the country several times a month

So fly down their,

Drug pushing faggot

>ubiquity of the chassis
Main reason i'm looking at the 1997-2003 Jetta / Golfs. They're hecking everywhere so as long as I have AAA, I don't mind staying in a motel for one night as I drag it to some automotive shoppe to get it fixed for a night or two. I'm expecting a lot of work since i'll be putting on 7k miles in a week every few months.

That looks like a very comfortable option for something later down the line. Right now, I need something quick and easy to drive down and in around 3-4 months, I'll be in a position to be a lot more comfortable and carry a lot more stuff. So maybe a crossover is in order (unfortunately)

but as a personal shuttlecraft, it's good to know the S350s are that good on fuel. I had always thought the S-Classes after 2000 were lumbering barges of fuel and mechanic eating vehicles.

ok

Well the gas powered S classes with guzzle fuel, but the diesels are very efficient
Mechanically modern S Classes are just fine, you don't really hear horror stories about them like you do about BMW's VANOS and Audi's timing chain guides now do you? Another big issue for an old example would be the air suspension failing, but even those can be replaced with regular coilovers for well under $2k

I'll add that a lot of horror stories about these cars shitting themselves come from poorfags that buy 10-15 year old examples and can't afford to maintain them
Maintenance is more expensive, obviously, but if you do most work yourself it isn't ridiculous

A well maintained S Class will treat you well

Can probably find someone to bend the coilovers to fit pretty comfortably, too, then. the other option is to shove this TDI I'm about to buy with an injector and turbo upgrade into an old BMW Diesel X5 as a heart transplant and use that to drive in the near future. I would want to do a lot of things but can't since I need this car in the next week.

In any case, the blutec horror stories I hear are from the ML 350s and others which costs the price of 2001 Jettas to replace all their glowplugs that seem to malfunction at random intervals. I'll look into the S350 engines and see what they pull. One of my cousins has a BMW X3 with a timing chain held on by pieces of plastic. Muh programmed obsolescence etc.

>S350
>50mpg

lol no
that thing gets 35 mpg tops. And that's when driving like a turd with the ac off.
Good for you that your dad got a nice car but stop talking shit.

35 MPG is insanely good for a modern lux class land barge

Holy shit you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Granted but that's not the point. No chance in hell it does 50. Not even close.

I'm just drunk and everything sounds like a good idea right now.

These all sound good tho:
>re-tension springs to make them more comfortable
>change factory limiting injectors and TPS on TDIs to get 90HP up to around 110HP. not sure about turbo options
>swap in a TDI into a BMW X5

>ML350 BluTecs are really unreliable and so are BMW X3s

>factory limiting injectors
>1.9 tdi

That thing does 143 bhp with a simple ecu remap you turd.

>he can't into hypermiling

Are you sure that's for the old TDIs? Because if that's it, why are people paying up the ass for turbo "upgrades"?

Yes because I did it to my mk4 golf back in the day. And I don't fucking know. Are they? Literally everything you said so far has been either blatant lies or complete nonsense.

Sorry.

I've had nothing but horrors having people work on my 04' Jetta

Don't know what it is but people seem to not have a clue how to work on them properly after the half dozen mechanics I've had work on it.

They're not that strange, really, but there's this "it's a vw, bleh" type aversion I've seen to get about it from them. Also some utter shite hack jobs I've had done to it which end up costing me more down the line.

Is it just with the aforementioned chassis or other issues as well? did the "issues" go away once you started taking care of it yourself?

I get the VW bleh mentality too from both owners and anyone who sees you driving one. It normally ends up being a "wow that's so very normal and plain" reaction.

2nd gen Prius
You can find them for like 3-5k
I got my 07 at an auction with a bad battery for $1200
Thousand bucks later it has a reman battery, new brakes, new tires, and a tune up
I get 45-55 mpg

Geo Metro

A lot of them are for sale around here for similar prices with bad batteries. Are the replacements really that much cheaper?

What kind of tune up do you have to do to a prius?

More just fucking faggot mechanics not putting shit back where it should be.

Hoses into clips, nuts that hold clips that hold hoses. Stupid shit like that.

I mean the "bleh, vw" mentality of "oh its a german car it's hard to work on overengineering fucking germans blah blah blah" when in reality those are just about the same as any other econoshitbox

Once, when I was having my auxiliary coolant pump replaced along with the heater core, apparently there must have been an issue installing a hose to the aux coolant pump. I know this because there was a section of fuel line spliced into it, rather than a new, specific, hose (

other vehicles to consider:
2011-2015 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
The 6 speed manual is rated at 41 MPG highway, but owners have reported over 50 MPG. The car has changes to make it more fuel efficient. The wattz link was removed from the rear suspension, it got a smaller gas tank, a small spoiler standard, active grill shutters in the front for aerodynamics, lighter wheels. Lots of weight savings on the Eco model. I think they removed a total of 2-300 lbs of weight.

There's also the Cruze Ecodiesel, which comes with a 2.0L Fiat turbo diesel, but they didn't sell very well, were automatic only and only came fully loaded with every possible option. Was rated at 46 MPG IIRC though.

Good post.

Some autist made one go 99.7 MPG.

Oh and don't get me started on the "Sealed transmission" bullshit that most people will try to feed you.

This is due to VW stating that it's sealed with "lifetime fluid", of which both parts are utterly untrue.

Even without autistic hypermiling they're capable/more than capable of OP's fuel economy requirements. But yeah they're capable of ridiculously good empeegees

The Chevrolet SOnic as well, when equipped with the same 1.4L Turbo and 6 speed manual,, is capable of similar fuel economy numbers. And if you change your mind later on, there's enough aftermarket support to scare muscle cars at drag strips. Currently, the limit of what's been achieved with the 1.4L is around 300 FWHP.

Sorry what are they capable of?

>I need to haul a trailer and goods back and forth between my two work sites.

>40mpg 1500 or 2500

Not happening.

39 mpg city, 46 mpg highway is the official rating. Again, they can do even better

How? Lower them?

>2015 honda pilot, 2014 civic rs, fj80 land cruiser

dude you own three cars already, two of which are pretty new.

don't buy a goddamn 1997-2003 jetta or golf to run drug paraphanalia across the midwest. putting a trailer onto an old VW is the best way to break down in Arkansas. Especially doing long days on the highway.

get something new (no breakdowns and you control the maintenance log) that was made to tow. like a diesel chevy colorado

S classes are pretty aerodynamic. They lower themselves at highway speeds to improve mileage and have really smooth undersides
Now shove a modern, lean burning diesel running off boost in one and high mileage numbers aren't out of the question

>he doesn't know that moving paraphernalia across state lines is illegal
>uses federal service to move federally illegal product
wow you are dumb as shit, guy
t. still remembers operation pipe dreams

Paraphernalia related to the industry and not to marijuana. In any case, both are not illegal per say and there's a lot of stuff that aren't used primarily for marijuana.

Literally every single weed producer ships it. As long as you vac-seal it, no one knows. Also better to ship under 5lb at a time.

What's wrong with the midwest? Upgrade coolant?

How easy are these to fix? I can't find a single ecodiesel in all of my county.

I suppose no one in their right minds would open up a specific VW dealership like private BMW or Benz dealerships...

>Comparing vw reliability to Toyota

That Volkswagen will leave you stranded at some point. The Toyota won't.

Based on what you've said so far you are one of the very few people I would recommend a lease too. Lease a new light SUV hybrid through the company, make the payments out of your pocket and write the payments off on your taxes, have the company pay for licensing and insurance, and get a new vehicle every two years before it gets to abused.

Lets do some basic math then.
10000km = somewhere arround 6213 miles
at 40mpg you'll need 155 gallons of gas, now lets multiply the 155 by 2.47 which is the average price of the gallon currently.
Each trip is going to cost you upwards of 380 bucks. Then add the maintenance of the car and every single shit that could go wrong in such a long trip.
Are you sure? Do you really think that doing that trip by car is the best option long term?
Work smart, not hard user.

get a Prius you potato. Drive it for a month to make sure there aren't any outstanding issues.

But it IS lifetime fluid. Lifetime meaning 150K miles which is the designed lifetime of cars according to the EPA. When cars are designed, their emissions systems are designed with 150K miles in mind. If you put that many miles on the car, you really should change the fluid.