Why are they upgrading pickup trucks so quick now...

Why are they upgrading pickup trucks so quick now? Usually they would keep the same design for just about 8 to 10 years while adding little things on the side over the years and maybe even a facelift, then fully redesign the truck for it's next generation afterward.

This is the 2019 Silverado prototype. Reminder that the current Silverado (and it's twin the GMC Sierra) was unveiled in 2013 then was released to the public later that year, four years ago.

Is it because of the high sales of pickups?

THEY HAVE TO BE BIGGER!
WE NEED IT BIGGER!
IT'S NOT BIG ENOUGH YET!
I WANT MORE TRUCK!
MORE TRUCK!
MORE MORE MORE
BIGGER IS MORE
MORE IS BETTER

>t. Truck buyers

its because they aren't farm equipment anymore
they are regular cars
this is what people expect from cars

Look at how fucking small this bed is, this isn't even a truck anymore.

I am certain that 95% of the people who own this truck will never use if for the original purpose of a truck that is pulling large objects and transporting supplies.

lmfao that front end just keeps getting fatter and uglier

GM confirmed for shittiest goddamn truck maker of the 21st century holy fuck GM get it together, even RAMs look better than your eyesores

I also love how they keep making the beds shorter and shorter every time, its like the engineers over at GM are having a contest to see who can make the most non-functional truck.
>Front of the truck keeps getting fatter and fatter
>An even larger fucking engine that guzzles gas and creates a fuckton of noise pollution
>Smaller and smaller beds because "They ain't hauling weight anyways :^)"
>Even higher than usual so you need fucking steps to get inside the damn thing and so the driver can feel good about themselves

lol, how much bigger they want it to be? seriously I sat in a new F150 at the auto show and it's just as big as my grandpa's 18 year old F250...

>I am certain that 95% of the people who own this truck will never use if for the original purpose of a truck that is pulling large objects and transporting supplies.
They wont. The truck will also be crystal clean everyday while they try to outgun fast cars in the city to make up for spending 50k on a useless truck

Common on most crewcabs and I can see why, those are fucking family haulers. And the bed is the luggage trunk with a aftermarket bed cover installed on top.

Think of it as an "overweight sedan".

Time for a dump!

That hood looks even taller than I remember any truck hoods being.

Christ.

Because the updates consist of changing the plastics where as 20 years ago there was no point because people were not dumb enough to think new plastics = new car.

They're not really that useless even of you never use them for "truck things". I don't know where you live but here most people with trucks also have a big boat or travel trailer and kids with a lot of shit.

So do you spend $50k on a sedan that can barely fit the kids and groceries or do you spend $50k on a truck that can tow said toys, has a spacious cab with a roll up bed cover to protect the groceries/hockey gear?

The truck would probably smoke any low end German car in that price range. Now can see why trucks are getting so popular as "cars"?

I doubt automakers actually wanted this but the customer speaks; trucks are money making machines. They're extremely profitable, trucks now cost as much as BMWs but are probably one of the cheaper things for them to make.

This is causing an issue though. Because of CAFE standards, every truck they sell they need to sell shitboxes to make up for it, but less and less are buying cuck cars. So they have to squeeze every mpg out of the trucks, causing very frequent updates and shoving them out to production.

That's probably one equipped with a small diesel inside.

I rarely see families in trucks here, just young dudes and actual working men who have filthy trucks.

More like overweight SUV but this user is right. Modern crew cab trucks are used as big SUVs/minivans by suburban dads trying to look "rugged"

Serious discussion now.

I want a diesel truck for rigorous work, a utility truck with multiple storage compartments on the sides of the bed. Something small such as a ford ranger with a diesel engine and a long bed so I can actually utilize it.

Those dudes and working men still have toys to haul. It's no different than putting around in a $100k sports car. Just because you're not using something to it's full potential doesn't mean it's pointless or a waste.

Inb4 some euro faggot posts a VW towing a big 800lb boat

A $500 truck can do that. Almost nothing can do what a $100k sports car can

holy shit.

only """small""" diesel truck we have in merica that I know is the chevy colorado.

All a $500 truck is going to do is teach you how to fix trucks. I've owned several. People want something reliable weather it's to make it to the office in time or not be stranded in the bush.

You could easily out perform a $100k sports car on a tight track for a fraction of the price. Yeah it's not going to be pretty but neither will $500 truck.

shit meant to reply to

Dude seriously I was out working on a solar farm and I caught a ride in one of the company trucks, I'm 6'5 and I felt like I was 5 foot in that shit, the leg room and size was ridiculous

>Turning Japanese, I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

The beds will keep getting smaller, then they will put on a hard cover, lower them down to a normal height and claim to have invented a new vehicle type.

I'm going to shoot a shot in the dark but I bet it's because regulations keep changing really quickly

Toyota give us a diesel Tacoma or the Hilux you Japanese jews!

Because they think it will result in a greater profit for the company

>The truck will also be crystal clean everyday while they try to outgun fast cars in the city to make up for spending 50k on a useless truck

happens all the fucking time when they try to red light race me in my fucking camaro, it's hilarious.

People who actually tow shit have useful trucks tho?

Which is either an older truck or a heavy duty.

The rest are bro tier coal rollers with fuck hueg tires that will never tow, work or see dirt.

>tfw any basic 2wd half ton can cross 2 feet of water because they're all so damn tall
>tfw cucked into being stranded on the roads during harvey because my car is 3.5 inches off of the ground

Don't know where the he'll you live, but no middple class or upper middle class family is going to be hauling their boat with their 1987 Ford that's falling apart.

People in Canada, at least eastern Canada use them as family cars. They have tons of room, don't have to worry about driving themnon our shit ass roads and damaging them, good in the winter, can haul shit with it and throw creap in the back.

They make a good family vehicle. A suburban or Tahoe or something would be better, but they're also priced ridiculously.

slamvan?!

>50k on a sedan

Try 30k new

I owned a $1k truck before. It sucked. Now I own a used $20k 4x4 with a bumper to bumper warranty that can haul my baikus and doggos and I don't have to worry about wether it's gonna start or get stuck in the mud

Worth it.

>Don't know where the he'll you live

He literally lives in a trailer.

Will we ever get a normal sized, well built, affordable, good looking truck with a V8 ever again Veeky Forums?

oh fuck I love and hate these threads at the same time since it reminds me of the direction the industry is headed

>MUH PEDESTRIANS!!!

It's all fun and games until someone sees the edits and thinks that's what people actually want.

I live in ghetto ass deep south texas. Were talking ghetto farmer cowboy wannabes. Anyways down here where most men tend to leave for months on end to find work on the rigs or in scaffolding their teucks are their status symbols. Now i cant, and i doubt normies can either , tell the fancy loaded trucks from the base models with cloth seats. But truck bros down here have to show their welth by getting some desiel danali or kings ranch and throw a lift kit in it to one up all the other bro trucks. In reality all.these trucks do is act as long commute cars, to make that 500+ mile trip every few weeks. On the other side of this you got spics who try hard to low ride every truck they can, usually beat to shit chebbys. Both of these fag groups think they have race cars and always speed and do stupid shit on the road.

$30k gets you a mid range Accord or a fancy Hyundai. Aka dick all.

We already have shit like that. It's called a base model single cab long bed silverado. They're cheap as shit of you can live without 4x4. Yeah she's got some love handles but if an extra inch of girth on a truck is too much for you then you should look at something like a crossover.

No user, that's considered hatethink.

most current base model V6 trucks have the same load/tow capacity of older trucks you lust over so there's that.

Around me it seems most newish half ton trucks are used as family sedans. Most older half tons used as actual trucks. Most of the 250/2500s are used as trucks aswell new or old

I have a vendetta against V6s because every single one I've had has been garbage. I only like an inline six or small block v8 as a driver.

And finding a regular cab, long bed, manual transmission, V8 truck is near impossible unless you special order them and I don't want to pay the premium for a new truck off the lot.

Srsly, the new crew cab short bed trucks re just a more "manly" option than a CUV. Ford and GM dont mind because of the insane profit margin on trucks (less material/work, higher price)

>And finding a regular cab, long bed, manual transmission, V8 truck is near impossible

Oh come on. You don't need a fucking manual in a truck... It's just pointless now days. If you're "Mr. Trucks for work only" then you should be looking at the truck like a tool, Which should be easy to use.

A V8 reg cab long bed 2wd is $27k brand new, Which is the same as a BRZ. The used truck market is a joke so have fun with your overpriced fully specced out crew cab short box mall cruiser or a overpriced 5 owner 500k mile work truck.

Lmao

>be me
>out at work
>see soccer mom pull out of her driveway with kid in actual soccer gear driving a lifted 2500 with oversized wheels
>this thread
Fuggg

>>be me

Baby boomers want to showoff how rugged and hardcore they are in the constant game of one upping.

Probably see if I can snap a few pics this winter. GM's cold weather testing facility is up the road from me. During the winter we'll see all sorts of GM zebras driving about. Occasionally a few other manufacturers too if they've decided to test here, but usually GM. C7's driving around in the snow is always cool.

>implying that meme didn't start here
Fag

Buyers want more opulent trucks. They need to keep up with this.

The true truck buyer wants a base model - mid range model for their work. Most of the silverados I see here are either LS or LT trucks with ladder racks and tool boxes. Fords are more or less mall crawlers. I rarely ever see one being used for work other than the pre 08 models. Same with dodge.

The true pickup died long ago when crew cabs came to half tons.

It's time to go back.

Call me slow, but holy shit... I never knew base model single cab pickup trucks were like around $26k now.

I can see why people bitch about pickups being to costly to own.

Chevy dealerships are selling 17 silverado base models for like 20k flat. Usually trucks at the dealer cost 5-7k of msrp

off*

Okay, remember to be sneaky. These fuckers are like timid deers when people try to approach them taking pictures of the prototypes.

Let's pretend that screenshot isnt fake.
How'd you get it?
Kill yourself.

Reddit kid having a meltdown lmao

Is that supposed to be a lot? That's the same as a Civic Si. Yet you get 350hp and it's capable of towing and hauling things.

Super competitive segment, truck sales are insane right now.

lots of spot-free pick-ups on the road with empty beds. fun stuff...

THICC

Ah, okay.

>Is that supposed to be a lot?
Eh, I don't really know. It's up for debate if that's a reasonable price for an ordinary pickup truck.

>wash your vehicle once a month
>put your shit away
That doesn't mean it's not being used.

because americans keep getting exponentially fatter tbqh senpai

>pedestrians
would you rather get hit in the shins, and fly into the windshield or get hit by a fucking massive wall of a grille? I know what I would want

he did an AMA on reddit during his campaign

There's no way someone can get that fat without fucking dying. Just no way.

>Why are they upgrading pickup trucks so quick now?
what the fuck
how did no one call OP out on this?

That woman has never been anything but fat her whole life, and I bet her mother was too.

All these people saying short boxes are useless, the shorter boxes (at least for the half tons) usually have a higher tow capacity. That's why I opted personally for the short box. That and I think it looks better.

you have the Mitsubishi SUV one too?

>limitless
half the snowmobile hanging off the back.

CAFE

Did a van not work?