Which is the best golf?

Which is the best golf?

mk2

/thread

MK2>MK1>MK5>being raped>MK4

the 6 onwards are boring junk so i have no idea which one is comparatively "better"

Is the Mk4 really that bad?
I was considering buying one but opted for something else.

Mk4 is sort of a bad in-between being slightly underpowered but still too heavy, lacking both the improved build quality/reliability of later gens and simplicity of earlier ones.

Most of the bad things people remember about Volkswagens came out of the mk4 era.

The mk3 was the first to be assembled in Mexico, but was largely fine because it was still a simple as fuck car.
The mk4 was much more complex so it had a lot of issues, especially earlier ones.

MK7 (huge build quality issues) < MK6 ( Advent of the disastrous TSI engine ) < MK5 ( clasic Golf return ) < MK4 ( A Nokia phone in a world of smartphones ) < MK3 ( Golf 2 on McDonalds ) < MK1 < MK2

Is the tsi really that bad? I know that the 2.0 was a disaster but I'm curious if they managed to improve it on newer models

the original 1.2 TSI which debuted on the MK6 Golf was a total disaster, especially the 105 bhp version. The chain was good it would snap at random time and speed and you would have the time of your life replacing the engine.
There have been many cases of engines getting killed at less than 30k km.
The 2.0 TSI had also this problem, but not to the same degree as the 1.2 TSI.
Then there was the 1.4 TSI introduced on the MK 5 Golf GT, the 170 bhp version. That one had a small turbocharger AND a small supercharger ( essentially a twincharger ). That engine is one of the least reliable pieces of junk in recent engine history.
The regular 1.4TSI however, the 122 bhp one, had only a turbocharger and that engine is actually quite a sturdy little city engine.

The current 1.0 TSI generation seems to have sorted out the problems of old, but it suffers from a short lifespan due to incredible strain which is put on a pigly 1 litre 3cyl engine.

The latest fashion in engines is the 1.5 TSI which has been adopted also by VW and BMW. We shall see how this will fare.
And yes, ladies and gentlemen, the 2017 BMW 3 Series has a 3 cyl 1.5L petrol engine. And rumors have it that it will soon be fwd.

thank you wise user

Mk3 rusts like nobodys buisiness

You sure about mk7?
I heard nothing but good things about them

I'm not talking about the engines, I'm talking about the whole car. Door seals falling off, infotainment system issues, suspension issues, start stop issues and so on.
They are built to just barely make it to the expiration of the warranty.

Serious question. If I were to buy a used golf for cheap. Should I get the MK3 or MK4? How easy are they to work on and service?

Mk3s are piss easy unless you get a VR6, but they rust like a motherfucker.
Mk4s are more complex, but still pretty doable.

As said, the Mk3 is old af now so it will have a lot of rust on it.
The MK4 is much easier to service and find parts for, whereas the Mk3 is easier to work on.
The MK4 is a much better day to day car as the MK3, but it is also much less agile.
cheap thrills : MK3
day to day usability : MK4

Just watch out for the diesel engines which have over 2 million kms by now, every single one of them.

Well I am a poorfag, my local selection in my range is a shit ton of Saxo's, 206, 106, Clios (1st gen), Polo's (mk3) and golfs (mk4, few mk3)

I been leaning towards the polos because they're so dirt cheap

Saxos and 106s are pretty fun and simple as fuck, so I'd say they're viable alternatives as long as you don't care about certain death in the event of a crash.
Those Polos are everywhere and they're pretty decent cars as far as I know.

Also obligatory Twingo suggestion. Can't go wrong with one of them for maximum cheap.

>diesel engines which have over 2 million kms by now, every single one of them.
there are a lot of diesels here yes, late 90s and early 00s cars here tend to be gasoline, that was around the time everyone went bezerk for diesel.

But most cars here tend to have less than 200000 km.

>Also obligatory Twingo suggestion
true. I'll get a twingo later on, already have access to one lol, and theres not a lot of them locally here, id have to travel a bit to get them and usually just first gen.

The 6n Polo is one of the simplest cars to buy, run and repair.
Just make sure you get the 1.4L petrol engine.
For cheap thrills you can go for the 1.6 petrol 102 bhp which is also chain driven.
Both the 1.4 and the 1.6 have been installed on the Mk 3,4,5 and 6 Golf so you can find parts plenty ahoe.
Just avoid the engines below the 1.4. Even the 1.4L is somewhat slow ( especially in the Golf 4 and 6 ), but in the 6n Polo is an adequate engine.

If I were you I'd go either for a 1.6 petrol MK3 Golf or a 1.4 petrol MK4 Golf. But best value for money will be the 1.4 petrol Polo 6n.
A fast as fuck alternative will be the 1.8 petrol MK3 Golf which punches 125 bhp, but that engine is abit thirsty. Reliable, fast, but thirsty.

Saw recently an ad for a 2015 Passat B7 2.0 TDI DSG Wagon, it had only 462.000km on the clock. Yes, 462.000km in less than 3 years.
Fucking germans.

>1.8 petrol MK3 Golf which punches 125 bhp
The mk3 GTI 8V didn't even put out 125hp and that had a 2.0, do you mean the mk4?

MK4 are pretty reliable to it's MK4>being raped> MK5

MK4s are wank. imagine driving a huge landbarge but it's actually in a tiny hatchback so you have all the disadvantages of both styles of car. Then everything electronic breaks and you understeer into a tree. The body roll is comical, no wonder every cunt lowers them, they're all slow except the R32 (which is still slower than it's rivals but sounds good) and the 1.8t when you swap the turbo out for a K04 and map it. Diesels are for paedophiles so we'll ignore those.

on the plus side they look quite nice, the aftermarket is huge (mainly because of how much they break) and the interior is quite well put together if you get a high spec one like the 4motion.

tl'dr avoid.

>Saw recently an ad for a 2015 Passat B7 2.0 TDI DSG Wagon, it had only 462.000km on the clock. Yes, 462.000km in less than 3 years.

Soon to be sold in eastern europ with '''only'''' 200.000km

I have a mk3. I wish I had a mk2. Looks so much better.

Mk.3 is the one with the worst rep in my country for some reason.

If you can land a 106 Rallye don't hesitate.

Or a GTi, or a Saxo VTS 16V. Incredibly fun little cars.
Insurance might fuck you up though.

Look at it this way, by asking your self one question;
if someone offered you any gold brand new state. Which one would you take.
I think i would most certainly go for mk2, knowing i am good with it for next 30 fucking years is something else.

Golf 1 GTI

mk5

Mk 3 is ok. Mine should be rustier for an Ontario car but the previous owners have under sprayed in the past. I would avoid the VR6, absolute pain in the ass to work on and has limited performance