/MR-RR GENERAL/

MR-RR GENERAL

all rear wheel drive cars with engines behind the driver welcome, FMR cars not welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/private/details/Alpine-Renault-GTA-1987/SSE-AD-467970/?Cr=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

had pic related for 3 or 4 years. 1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop, manual n/a.

been on many adventures. was an aussie delivered one. done 347,000kms. engine was in need of a rebuild, and there was some rust that needed to be fixed (quoated, best case to fix was $1500), was always planning on getting a SC one, but i had strict criteria, had to be 1988, SC, Manual, White and hardtop (for the roof racks) so i thought i'd have to import one from Japan when i got around to having that much spare cash lying around.

1/?

How does one even get into this car with a bar blocking entry?

2/?

It was slowly coming to the crunch time of whether i spent alot of money on the 87 n/a or put the money towards what i wanted. so when this appeared, i snapped it up. fitted all the criteria, even came with the toyota pop up fog lights (hnng). so going to grab all the good parts from the 87 and put them in the 88, get the rust fixed on the roof of the 88, swap the wheels, radio over from the 87 to the 88. can't wait for all the adventures headed this ones way. only done 130,000kms. so happy with that. obviously sat for a while at some point (the rust on the roof hints at that)

anyone got a decent link to a page that goes through all the differences between JDM models and export markets as well as the years?

the doors feel lighter, same as the engine lid. interior wise, there's no centre console cassette holder anymore. radio antenna in a different spot to the 87. can't wait to change the steering wheel, someone put in some ugly POS thing, putting the stock one from the 87 into it. just can't wait to get to spend some time on it, and in it. stupid work.

MRS here.
Just got coilovers now the fucking thing drives on rails. Some sporty hatchback with front tow strap tried to fuck with me in twisties, didn't even have to try hard to shake it.

>get hit in the side
>sidebar snaps and pierces your spleen, both your lungs and your heart
Brilliant """safety""" device.

MR/RR sports cars with roof racks / roof boxes are my fetish.
Nice MR2

be a midget asian man

Go drive your cucktruck or suv 10 under the speed limit, soccer mom.

cheers. paid through the nose for them, so worth it.

that a hard top?

No, soft top.
Don't see a reason to get hard top since front tower bar brace is cheaper and I only drive it in summer anyway

kk fair enough

needs a lolfuckhuge wing.

I don't want one yet, I'm focusing on getting most out of the 1zz. I really do want a fuckhueg wing but flat underbody and CF hood and engine lid and race seats and all that shit comes first.

Also posting the hottest car on hot version

My favourite car. Will own one soon.

Don't be a fat fuck, you fat fuck.

>AW11 reporting for duty

Huh, I didn't know there was a non-widebody version of this car.

Hi guys.

I just finished putting a ST202 3S-GE into my USDM MR2

lol are you french? do parts for this car still exist?

portuguese. Most parts (including the running gear) are renault, and the car is generally reliable. Will be a pain if the exterior gets damaged though.

sweeeet. What colour do you want your alpine in?

How hard was the swap? I always hear that it's not as easy as it sounds.

Blue, white or red is fine. Biggest obstacle is actually the retarded road tax that makes you pay for an imported car as if it were new.

>spendtugal

carsales.com.au/private/details/Alpine-Renault-GTA-1987/SSE-AD-467970/?Cr=0

that car has been on my local sales page for approximately 3-4 years now. Stupidly, the price has actually increased due to the buyers perception of overseas demand and relative rarity in australia.

I have desperately wanted it for the past 3 years but I unfortunately couldn't warrant spending 15ish thousand on an unreliable french sportscar when it would be my daily driver. Im hoping that it just never sells or one day i have the funds to import a nice RHD one from britain or japan.

good luck with finding one yourself and if you do make sure you create a thread for it.

>go out for a drive on a twisty with 3 mr2's a seat leon and e39 and e90
>take a break to figure out the rest of the route
>when cigarettes are lit leon shows up
>when cigarettes are getting thrown away bimmers show up
I'm glad I didn't fall for the bmw meme

E39s are heavy, E90s are heavy
My e30 could keep up with an mrs on most roads

Mechanically, it is a simple swap. However you need to be able to read Japanese to figure out the electrical diagrams. Also there's essentially no documentation on this swap, while there's plenty of documentation on the various 3S-GTE swaps.

Hello chums.

Maybe you should make a write up so I can do it too :^)

(Jokes aside I'd really appreciate something like that)

Would you drive 1650lbs and 750 hp if you got it for free but had to be your daily driver?

I know I would.

Comes with a cigarette lighter to die even faster.

no lie, i'm actually translating my ST202 3SGE electrical diagrams into English right now. Even posted some of it on /r/mr2 (leddit ecks dee). Don't think I could ever put together a full guide on the swap, as I didnt take very many good-quality photos of my work. I'm definitely happy to help you out though. Do you have an account on any of the MR2 forums I can contact you at?

hon

Twingo has evolved

Supercharged?

>first corner
so smooth

for a second i thought that was Hal from Macolm in the middle in some kind of spoof

20v Blacktop

>tach rotated to the near redline area is upwards

I'm assuming that's so you can see it better, since that's where the needle will always be. I'd daily it.

you swap it in yourself?

>I'm assuming that's so you can see it better, since that's where the needle will always be. I'd daily it.
Before shift lights, the tach was rotated so that top dead center would be your shift point

And because yes, in a race that's where the needle would be

Here's my Gen. 4 3SGTE swapped AW11

CT20B turbo, E153 transmission from a 97 MR2 turbo, 3rd gear from a celica, engine is from a 2000 Caldina, KAAZ LSD and I'm sure plenty of other shit I'm forgetting

A better picture with is a little bit cleaner

Nope, I bought it with it in but I have swapped in 4AGZEs and a 3SGTE Gen III across my other cars before.

Although I spent about 3 months tinkering with the internal components of the 20v before finding the cause of my throttle bogging issue which was frustrating af.

I like it a lot, clean and looking stock despite the flares which are subtle enough to work.

If I had an aw11 I'd try not to rice it out too much, but one thing I'd DEFINITELY do is change the exhaust. Those tiny pipes just don't exude the confidence the rest of the car does... that's a personal opinion tho

What wheels are those?

Also got an AW11 but it has shitty 3-spoke Taiwanese wheels, I don't trust their strength and they're pretty ugly.

Borbet Type C

Looking at an MR2 in the coming week, any advice for me?

Just bought a mr2 mk3.
I'm now paranoid about pre-cats

what year?

check for rust in the trunk and frunk.

1987, not sure whether a Mk1a or b.

Nice 3rd gen buddy.

What kind of coilovers did you get and what's your wheel setup?

I'm stock save for a painted CF frunk hood, air intake, and 2zz swap with aftermarket headers.

Why isn't MR and RR more common? Why does it cost more to develop than FF?

Probably has something to do with reduced trunk space and snap oversteer memes, and being harder (and more expensive) to assemble.

Jesus christ how did you fit all that in the AW11? Show us an engine bay photo my dude

Here's a shitty engine bay picture.

The battery was relocated to the frunk, the air intake is on the driver's side of the car. I want to get some thermal wrap and a turbo blanket and then having it rerouted to where the intake should actually be.

This thing gets around pretty quickly but it's not without problems

Oh yeah there's also an HKS EVC in there that isn't hooked up yet. I need to do that soon.

Just buy an aftermarket header, problem solved.

I didn't feel bad about chopping up the fenders because they were already rusted out, so I really just saved a set of fenders.
But a new exhaust is definitely in the works. Planning to just take it to a muffler shop and have them put me in something medium loud with a nice low tone. It will reduce a LOT of weight as well. The damn stock muffler is super heavy.
I'm thinking about turboing it in the near future as well. Or maybe a 3sgte swap.

Does the intercooler get any air from that position?

Yes, the car itself is a supercharged model so there are slats cut in the engine lid for the supercharger's intercooler.

I want to get another lid that I can cut sluts in on both sides for better air flow or maybe build a duct that'll go over the roof and feed air directly into the engine bay.

Or maybe a front mounted one, I haven't decided yet.

>front mount
>on a mid-engined car
Plumbing that is gonna suuuuuuck.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about doing the duct.

But the oil cooler and radiator are both front mounted too. Likely I'll just do the duct and reroute the intake and cut slats in the lid

Maybe you could go for a water-air intercooler with front mounted rad or something? None of the increased lag, about half of the plumbing hell, and none of the fab work for the duct.

'sup, scrubs?

Just had to fix my license plate light. Shit was surprisingly easy. Socket was a lil' worn. 2 nuts and it came right off. Easiest light work I've ever done.

what rims and tire base are those? thinking of putting similar wheels on my mr2

hmm, that could work.

Probably the hardest part is going to be finding the parts or trying to get parts to work. I think some guys make fiberglass side ducts but I like the idea of making my own. Lot's of choices but I think an air to water intercooler would be a good idea

>mfw you guys are making me miss my aw11
>it's been sitting in my driveway ever since it got stolen and got it back with a blown head gasket and some life things happened that made me lose motivation to even fix it
Fuck you guys

Slow pieces of shit.... I can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

- 10 point cage with Parachute
- 3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
- spec-R full drag suspension
- Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
- 1 044 bosch pump
- 1200 rc injectors
- golden eagle sleeved block
- cp 10:1 pistons
- Eagle rods
- arp headstuds
- oem h22 headgasket
- Balance shaft delete
- competition clutch twin disc
- Port and polished head
- skunk2 valve springs and retainers
- Str cam gears
- crower stage 1 cams
- aluminium radiator with slim fan
- gsr transmission with itr lsd.
- qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
- k20 rbc manifold
- qsd throttle body spacer
- blox 70mm throttle body
- 4bar omni map sensor
- 6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
- hks bov
- Garret 102mm turbocharger.
- Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
- 44mm tial wastegate
- Custom water to air intercooler set up
- aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
- tuned on chipped p28
- 13 inch volks drag rims
- 2 15 inch volks rear rims
- arp extended wheel studs
- si cluster
- 150 shots of nitrous

I am making 248 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because that's the only place the power should ever be.

Stay mad Toyboys.

Make sure to post progress if you decide to go that route, I'm curious to see how it'd work out.

That, and Veeky Forums needs more actual worklogs.

Will do. I wish there were a better way to get info on the engine's performance because the car is OBD1 but the engine is OBD2 so it makes things difficult.

I'll definitely post progress as it's appropriate. I'll probably start with the small and easy things like cutting slats and getting a scoop or duct in there and rerouting the intake
But I'll post logs or whatever as I can

Man, you can fix it. If you have to, ask a garage if you can use their tools. Once you get into it, it'll be easy enough. Fuck, the guys at the shop would probably love to fiddle with one. It's worth asking.

(see pic)

lurk more retard

XD

ayy

Fiero owner here. Any of you aw11 owners ever driven a fiero before? I would like to know how similar/different these cars drive.

The latest iteration of Fiero wasn't bad at all, the earlier ones were pretty garbage though.