/stsg/ - Starsector General

Previous Thread: >What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8a-RC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

Paragons are for _________!

kikes

Target practice

MINING

DELET THIS

Circumstances where tactical lasers are effective:
>Enemy doesn't have shields
>Enemy has bad DMG/flux shield ratio
>Enemy has worse flux stats
>Enemy can't reach you

NO U

mutli-ship focus fire

which they're also good at setting up since they have 1k range

damn, this thing is overpowering the Dom-D's shields with just the fucking HILs

70 BV worth of pirates and they haven't even scratched the hull

Anti fighter weapon

Other circumstances where tactical lasers are effective:
>The enemy is outnumbered.

Sounds about right.

forgot mah pic

setting up local superiority is pretty important m8

You're going to lose that flux battle, you know.

turns out that this stupid thing trivially overpowers an onslaught if you add in a few officer skills

>Paragon
>taking damage to anything but its shields

i had it on auto, dumb thing decided to vent

Was nerfed.

Ow sorry, thought this was Crawl.

>already page 10
FUCK YOU GUYS

well, there is nothing left to say. We all complained about 8.1 enough already.

Okay. See you guys in 2020

Hey Alex there should be a list of weapons on the side of this loadout screen
So people who don't know all the icons by sight can see what weapons are loaded

But weapon groups button already does that

No

but these cunts don't have the weapon group button up on their screen shots

how often do you encounter a screenshot inside Starsector?

I encountered ur mother(and fked her)

What mod are those ships between the XIV Onslaught and the Paragon from

OmniCorp Universal Systems

thanks

*besieges your planet*

God that's fucking retarded. When Alex adds industry in 2020 I hope he makes AI fleets consume supply and fuel as well

assuming an average complement of ~500 that's 50 000 dudes coming to fuck your shit up

not too shabby

something i should probably release, my latest rc seems fine.

adding more shit is more fun than actually putting out a release though.

Mein Gott....

I hope is config toggleable because joining in one of such furballs with a single frigate (or something that can mount Pilums) and watching as the insanity unfolds is one the things that tickles my fancy

Which (((IBB))) ship is your favorite?

the doom variant with temporal shell and a large universal slot

aww it found a friend to play with
I´m more bothered by the fact that the player has a default limit of 30. I don´t really see a reason for it, and it forces me to go for the most broken shit to be able to face things like that pic. went to config to change it, but why put it in the first place? I don´t really get it

I don't have the webm but
AMERICA
FUCK YEAH

Jesus fucking Wept

idgi

Those guys were labeled as "Scavenger Fleet" and came and burned after me once they had eaten all the nearby Hegemony detachments

r8

i didn't think it was possible to make a genuinely bad paragon, but you managed it. congratulations.

The only thing that it can't beat is another Paragon.

>beams
If you've meant "tacticals are inefficient and thus loose most of the time" - then ok, I understand, I didn't know you were talking about efficiency.
HOWEVER, tacticals most of the time are mostly to shorten the time it's needed to overpower an enemy. Besides, due to beam high range they can be fired with enemy unable to retaliate (not reliable against capitals, though).
Generally beams don't work always and against every ship, but when you spam them enough, they become safe and reliable option to destroy enemy.

Not Paragon with phase teleporter/10

hm, yes. final destination, bitch.

Give me the gesundheit on imperial ships and weapons

no

beam guido: the simple beams (tac, graviton) are GOOD on their own against two things ONLY: unshielded small ships, and fighters on approach

BUT they are also good against anything that has less flux dissipation than the total beam DPS vs shields that is being put out

however, even if beams don't ride up flux on their own, as soon as a ship starts shooting and building its own soft flux it will start feeling the pressure. as the beam dps tanked can be viewed as a debuff to the ship's flux dissipation as long as it has shields up - this can often mean a ship becomes vulnerable way sooner than it otherwise would, or loses the flux war it would otherwise win

its generally good to have at least one beam ship per fleet!

just like to add that the part about deceptive beam strength is REALLY underrated - if a ship has 350 flux dissipation and 50 shield upkeep and its being hit by 280 beam dps, even if that ship wont build flux from being beamed and just shielding, almost all its flux dissipation is effectively gone once it comes to dissipating any soft flux built by weapons. it will NEED to drop shields in order to dissipate any flux at all.

this is why graviton beams are good, they cost nothing to fire and tend to cause this effect against a wide range of targets, especially destroyers and frigates. and also why you combo beams with other weapons, so that once ships drop shields you can punish them for it. Or you know you just use HILs and kill everything

I have a shorter beam guide:
Less than 400 combined DPS: only good against frigates.
Less than 800 combined DPS: good against destroyers and smaller.
Less than 1000 combined DPS: sufficient against cruisers and smaller.
Less than 1250 combined DPS: you can defeat anything but Paragon.

Your advice to have at least one beam ship per fleet is bad. Unless you make them support only, you should have at least a pair of beam boats in order to make them efficient.

>its generally good to have at least one beam ship per fleet!

lmao

To be fair, though: this is about beams defeating an enemy on their own, without any other weapon.

I can't wait for AI fleets to sustain burn so I can run into shit like that at high burn.

>Less than 1250 combined DPS: you can defeat anything but Paragon.
You can still defeat a paragon by taking advantage of its slow shield raising speed. Induce the AI's "flicker shields on and off to dissipate flux" behavior by stop firing for a second, and then aim at the exposed sides and get a split second of unshielded damage in.

That is a thicc ship.
more?

>sweet picture
>"starsector"? never heard of it
>M&B in Space?
>Beaglerush playing it??
>in 2015???
what's the fucking catch?!

we're trying to have it die to lasers, not old age

It doesn't take long at all to chew through that armor, even with a split second of exposure.

Ok, so I've been thinking of ways to make ship losses more impactful (I'm that guy) on the player, without having to muck about with changing the economy. In a very broad view, I think crew experience should be brought back, BUT crew should be assigned to ships (instead of ALL the crew being in the general pool in the cargo hold like it is now). As a crew gains "experience" in battle, they slowly learn the quirks of their ships/equipment/fellow crew members ect, and gain very small increasing bonuses to OP, flux, ect. If you strip a ship (i.e. mothball, destruction) of its crew, they go back into the generic pool in the cargo hold (think of crew coming on-board a new ship, have to acclimate to the new controls, ect). Thoughts /stsg/?

I like the idea of crew experience, especially if they gain "levels" in whatever ship they crew. If you've got a Hammerhead that has had the same crew compliment for multiple battles, they'd gain experience working the ship systems. If the Hammerhead gets blown up, the survivors would still have their Hammerhead-specific experience, but they'd be a bit more crap at flying whatever replacement spaceship you stuff the surviving crew into. At least for maybe the first fight.
Have crew give other bonuses that aren't ship-specific as well.

paragons have 1500 armor. even a HIL takes several seconds of sustained fire to get through that.

sounds like a lot of miserable and largely pointless micromanagement. alex is much smarter than you.

???
so where is the weapon grouop tab? I don't know what weapons are loaded

Hey buddy, you forgot to name your ship before showing everybody.

4x Plasma cannon
2x Pillum LRM

>never been out of corvus

aren't plasma cannons low range

no

In a Paragon, they get double range.

They're normally 700 range. With unstable injector, that gets cut down to 525.

So, about 1050 range not including officer bonuses.

i clicked random name once and changed nothing else i swear to god

r8

>ITU
>go manfight at point blank

fix this
Also put better weaponns on that onslaughter

sabots are balanced/10

ITU is the core of the build. The Vulcan cannons don't even shoot at anything but touching distance without it.

>Paragon and Astral from the same battle
Now if only I could get my hands on an Onslaught XIV for collection's sake.

sounds like you need one of these

there is hope

Not quite true. Paragon's built-in multiplies the range by 2.0, but UI reduces that bonus to 1.75, which results in 1225 total range. Most percentage bonuses in-game are additive, not multiplicative.

>area saturation.

+% = additive
-% = multiplicative
So it should be autistic 50% range increase (2*0,75)

well it certainly ain't point defense

I've never seen that gun

have an action shot

i think this is from when it still had 800 range though

So I find a mothership floating around while I was off in the middle of nowhere with a destroyer fleet to save supplies and fuel, and decide to fuck with it just to see what happens

>It and friends don't do fuck all to my half triple (D) modded destroyer fleet

That was a little disappointing

yeah the mothership isn't supposed to be a top-tier threat but i think it's still a bit undertuned

>Devastator Dominator.
My fucking nigga.
I would highly recommend replacing the ITU with armored weapon mounts, some other mods you might want to consider as well are missile racks and insulated engine assembly.
The one thing I've found about manfighting ships is that you cannot afford to have weapons or engines down.

You think that's bad, imagine my disappointment when I went at a mothership for the first time with enough firepower to kill a fully operational battlestation.
At least I didn't have to worry about supplying the trip back.

Honestly I'd be able to defeat all this with a single hammerhead... Mothership isn't supposed to be strong, just like the rest of metal boxes

>search abandoned station
>find like 2000+ stuff
>don't have any room for it
>leave
>station disappears
fk

Also is it just me or are massed Salamanders actually pretty good
Especially with a Captain that improves the turn speed of missiles

Salamanders are good for making AI pilots freak out.

>Neutrino Research Lab only spawns on black holes
>There are only 2 black holes in my entire map
>Neither of them have the lab

FUCKING REEEEEEEE

well i mean, there's absotely a point where you have enough salamanders

they're nice. but sabot pods are also nice. very nice.

>actually put in the effort to raise stability of my most frequented system
>it goes up from 4 to 6
>feelsgud
>go on a bounty mission and come back
>it's right back to 4

Why even bother.

did you check the entirety of both systems? they could have spawned in the middle of nowhere

How do bounties scale in size?

Is it level or something else?

how many you've done, iirc

Is it worth joining a faction?

Only if you really want access to the ships and weapons from the military markets. It'll make everyone hostile to that faction hostile to you, so you'll be locked out of a nice number of other markets unless you abuse AI core turnins for rep. Keep in mind that you can get ships that show up on restricted markets through deserter bounties.