Sedans are retarded

Give me one objective reason why we are not all using wagons and hatchbacks.

In high-performance cars, sedans provide a slight performance benefit, but unless you're racing your car on a daily basis, the extreme loss of functionality is not justifiable.

Some argue that sedans look nicer than their equivalent wagon counterparts, but this is not only very subjective, but largely only applicable when the wagon variant was designed as an afterthought.

Consider pic related and tell me again about how ugly wagons are.

Your 2008 Kia Optima does not need to shave .1 seconds off its lap time, and it's already so ugly that any stylistic change severely limiting its functionality is absolutely insane.

Economy cars should be as practical as possible. Really, all cars should be. Wagons can, and have, looked nice. Source: Volvo 1800ES.

Very few brands put any effort into designing nice looking wagons. Really, Volvo is the only brand that's ever tried. The vast majority of buyers either buy sedans due to lack of choice or through genuine preference to this aesthetic.

The crossover was born as a rebellion against the limited functionality of a sedan, but this completely ignores the wagon, which is not only better than the crossover in every way, but equally functional!

Wagons are the patrician choice. They can be as sporty as any sedan, while exponentially more useful.

Join me in this revolution, Veeky Forums/

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Skoda/108482/Skoda-Octavia-2017-18-TSI.html
ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Mazda/108179/Mazda-3-2017-SKYACTIV-D-22-150HP.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're preaching to the choir, user. Veeky Forums already loves wagons

True, Veeky Forums clearly puts more consideration into their cars than most people.

I switched from an Explorer to a compact sedan. Wagons/hatches/crossovers/vans all look like Vans. Same shape. A sedan is businessy and aggressive looking to my eye. Coupes are feminine/girly. Practical hatches are in the same realm as cuckovers.

I can load up bikes, kayaks, and tow jet ski just fine with my sedan. Ive never not had enough room. Coupes hinder you big tine (ever had to vacuum the backseats? Its sucks) Wagons are nkce if youre short. suvs/ vans if youre above 6'.

sedans have slightly more quieter interior(most people probably ignore that) and many people people care about look

Large/ modern Mid Size is best size. 3 series'look like jokes when a 5 or 7 or S Class rolls up.

>ugly as shit
>pointless if you don't have kids/need to haul lots of shit every day
>heavier, worse handling, usually worse mpg than sedan counterparts
Yeah nah, I'm good.

I really love masculine looking sedans. Hate how curvey cars have become. Will share one more Lincoln, or Oldsmobile or Plymouth before I have to go to work

I like wagons and they're definitely top-tier for practicality while still maintaining some semblance of fuel economy, but most people don't haul shit very often, if at all, especially in this day and age.
Sedans have ever so slightly superior aerodynamics, are usually slightly lighter than their wagon counterparts, get better fuel economy as a result of those two factors, they're often the cheaper bodystyle, the fact that the trunk is a separate compartment from the cabin makes them quieter inside, they're usually stiffer than wagons resulting in fractionally better handling, and wagons have a bit of a boring image among normies.

Yuros already like wagons.

In the US, wagons have a long history of being wood exterior paneled family shit boxes. Lots of people don't like being reminded of that.

My biggest gripe with wagons is that nobody sells them in a manual. Currently the only manual wagon is the golf sportwagen/all track. I hate the front end look of the golf -- really wish we got the Passat estate in the US.

A good alternative for the normies that's gaining tracking is the Sportback design which is basically a sedan with a C pillar that looks like a coupe with a hatch. We already have the A5 Sportback, 4 series Gran Coupe, and 3 Series GT (ugly). We'll be getting the Kia Stinger, Buick Regal Sportback, and VW Arteon next year. As of right now it looks like ALL of these will be automatic only. Sad.

Any car with any semblance of utility is auto only these days thanks to companies selling to soccer moms.

Love the 4 door Impala in the Supernatural TV show. So badass when the pop the trunk and on that bitch. They talked about how a coupe muscle car would have killed their image when people complain about the car choice for the show.

Get a tow hitch and cargo rack if you have to. Hatches are Prius Vans. Kthxbai

Old Volvo wagons are the best. Shaped like a square for maximum capacity and all space is usable. You can literally fit a bed in the back.

Do you guys even get the same Passat nowadays?

Very true, euros are the only ones that make even vaguely decent wagons (compare 2007 A5 Avant to 2007 Ford Focus wagon).

My main point is that wagons don't have to be ugly. Volvo, Audi and even certain Mazdas are shining examples of good wagon design. If Amuricans bought into the wagon life as opposed to the CUV hype we'd be so much farther along the road to the ideal everyday car.

Also if you're gonna drive a wagon it better be one with the standard ride height of it's sedan counterpart. If you give yourself elevated ground clearance you destroy the driving dynamics and you might as well just get an SUV.

We get the same sedan, I think. Just no wagon.

>it's a "sedan doesn't even have fold-down rear seats because muh 0.05 decibels of cabin volume" episode

>2007 Ford Focus wagon
That's a Euro Ford though.

The XC70 has the same clearance as the original Jeep Cherokee while being vastly more stable

No. We are stuck with the "Americanized" Passat.

Euro Passat looks drop dead gorgeous

Sorry, I meant the 2005 Ford Taurus SEL wagon, AKA the ugliest Ford of all time and half the reason no one buys wagons in this country.

Absolutely zero thought given to aestheticism

It doesnt have solid axles so no, its shit in every way compared to a cherokee

Here's a shot of the current Passat we get over here (in Europe).

Wagons/wagons are a pain in the ass to get things in and out of. Maybe you guys are manlets, Ill stick with a low slung coupe and a truck suv, you guys can have your jack of all trades

The one upside to the globalization of car models. Americans will get wagons again. Here's the new Buick Regal aka Opel/Vauxhall Insignia aka Holden Commodore if I'm not mistaken.

Unless you're doing serious rock crawling, it's irrelevant.

The XC70 will easily handle forest roads, deep snow, unpaved mountain passes, etc. Unlike the Cherokee, which requires significant sacrifice in terms of use as a street car, the XC70 is quite at home either place, assuming you're not going completely crazy.

On the other hand you don't have to lift shit as far up, and the handling is pretty much sedan-like unless you're actually Randy Pobst. If multiple cars aren't an option for whatever reason, wagons are the single best choice.

You sure America will get the straight up wagon variant, and not just the jacked up "tough" wannabe crossover?

Checking them diggos

I wasn't aware of that distinction. Still better than nothing.

It's basically the same thing with a slight lift and plastic cladding, you might even be able to convert it to a regular wagon using Euro-spec Insignia parts or something.

Does it even 4wd?

If you're so inclined.

If you wanna call Haldex "4wd". It's still a transverse-engined FWD platform, and they even ditched the 300hp 2.8l turbo V6 option. It's turbo 4 or bust.

>Wagons/wagons are a pain in the ass to get things in and out of

Not really?? I can slide my bike in on top of all my camping shit with the wheels on without any issues and I'm 6'1. It's way easier than moving shit under the deck lid, shelf thing of a sedan and the sedans trunk is recessed which makes things hard to load too.

But yeah a truck or SUV are better at most things. Fuck sedans.

You're exaggerating. They aint that big.

Momma mobile to the max. This looks gay as fuck

Depends on the size of the bed, but I've moved with a V70 before, including a twin xl mattress. One haul from home and one haul from IKEA and my college room was complete.

You guys cant comprehend there are billions of people with different lifestyles? Why are you hating on their car selection? If their car is burdening their lifestyle, they would change it. Obvious cars are too small, wagons are limited, thus the SUV craze. A wagon is still a compromise in comfort and capability. Some people might like a 1.5 lb hammer, you guys would probably argue with a fit that you could drive nails with a 16oz. Hammer.

>Volvo is the only brand that's ever tried
U wot?

>obviously 2000 sqft houses are too small and limited, thus the 3000 sqft house craze, has nothing to do with showing off and keeping up with the joneses, gotta have my separate sitting room and family room and dinner room and guest room and home office and laundry room and hobby room and mancave

Sedans can have cool ass wings and downforce bro.

We have the space to do so why the fuck not? Try living in a house like that then try to go back to your 90 sqft flat. It's okay to strive for a bit more instead of living with the bare minimum like Europe.

It's okay to strive for more if you have the means to, but even the oh so might, oh so wealthy United States don't. Urban planning turned to shit, commute times turned to shit, utility costs turned to shit, roads falling apart. Per capita you now have far more infrastructure to maintain than if you lived just a bit closer together, and additionally everyone needs to spend hundreds of hours a year in traffic just for work and basic trips. You just hate to admit it to yourself. You can't admit that you've made poor decisions as a society.

>You can't admit that you've made poor decisions as a society.

Ehh not as bad as trying to populate a tiny island with no resources.

Wew

So can wagons.

In fact why stop at one wing?

Thats so gay

>Consider pic related and tell me again about how ugly wagons are.
That's a fucking crossover.

>Better suspension than sedan counterparts.
>More luggage room.
>Can put a dog in the back.

Sedans often get better gas mileage than crossovers/SUVs. Tires are also cheaper for sedans.

So, that thing is a "wagon" in burger standard.

>exponentially more useful
That's not how the word "exponentially" works. Exponential refers to CHANGE, not just any random comparison you stupid fucking idiot retard fuck.

>funeral at 9:00
>track time at 10:30

Agreed, wagons are the best. I live in the states and I've been thinking of investing in one.

Only problem is the selection and price point. Volvos start at like 40k-50k, bmw 330i starts at 44k, audi alltrack starts at like 50k.

VW has the sw and alltrack for less than 30k, but you're stuck at 170hp. Also thinking about getting a used wagon and doing some work on getting it to around 250hp, but I like the modern AWD. I'm not going to be racing or anything, but I like to have the power for when I need it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

get a roadmaster with the towing package

Personally I like the looks of sedans.
I'd rather have a more practical hatchback, though.
My next car is probably going to be the new HB Octavia, but as I've never seen skodas mentioned on Veeky Forums before, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with them?

>skoda

I'm genuinely curious what Veeky Forums got against Skoda. None of my car enthusiastic have anything bad to say about them, but I have never seen them mentioned here, but if it's because they are just too normie and boring, or if there are some serious concerns, I don't know.

No I mean they're decent cars and don't use much gas, I just find them boring but that's only my opinion.

You can actually get the V6 variant now.

Totally fair point.
It's just when I compare a Skoda Octavia HB 1.8 TSI with a Mazda 3 Skyactive D 2.2 (same price in my country), then it seems like the Skoda would be the better choice.
ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Skoda/108482/Skoda-Octavia-2017-18-TSI.html

ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Mazda/108179/Mazda-3-2017-SKYACTIV-D-22-150HP.html

Not all wagons looks ugly but in most cases the sedan looks better, hatch/fasback are usually the best imho, though sedans can be a bit quieter due to having more sound dampening than just a parcel shelf.
In terms of practicality wagons are usually too low to offer any useful storage space if you need to fit larger objects, you're better off with an MPV if you want actual versatility.
I've moved an entire fucking sofa in my MPV whilst I couldn't fit even fit one of the chairs from the same furniture set in my cousins wagon.

I love wagons but I despise SUVs.

You are losing more on gas mileages than you might think and nobody really needs the added "practicality".

Wagons are pretty cool. Sedans do have a certain look of formality though. I wish we got the Mercedes C-Class wagon in the US, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

you can fit a bed in the back though. I've done it.

>Give me one objective reason why we are not all using wagons and hatchbacks.

Sedans have smaller rear gate opening
=stiffer body frame
=better soundproofing and sharper handling

Also better aerodynamics and better fuel economy

So the Regal now DOES get the V6, but the Insignia (and Commodore) are stuck with turbo 4s, when last gen it was the other way around.

my parents owned one, and we did fit a mattress in the back when moving

Why dont you nerds have the same philosophy when it comes the RAM gigabytes and other shit in life? More is more. Nothing wrong with having a giant SUV unless youre an environmental faggot. And they make easier and better if you can afford one.

>can put a dog in the back
>implying I can't do that with any car with a trunk
I can stick one into the front trunk of a huracan user

90% of hatchbacks and wagons are hideous

I really like the look of E34 wagons.
This is my 530iT

jeep cucks BTFO