Help deciding on a new car

So I'm thinking about getting a new car, and I always consult Veeky Forums before I make large financial decisions. I'm trying to decide between a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, or Civic Si. Opinions? Needs to have a manual and a backseat are my two big qualifiers. I want new and I don't want to spend more than $30k.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4
youtube.com/watch?v=gwl1f0WbdxA
priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/
youtube.com/watch?v=5UUIctl9hWk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fpbp

how is this even a question? mustang gt.

Need a backseat
They look pretty nice. I had a '97 Mustang when I was younger and the interior seemed pretty cheap. I know that was 20 years ago, is it better now?

Subaru WRX

good luck getting a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS under 30k.
The Civic Si is trash. Don't touch the 1.5L Turbo.
So all 3 of your choices are trash.

That said, here are what you should look at for the price that's new.
Chevrolet Camaro V6 1LE
Ford Focus ST
Subaru WRX
Toyota 86
Subaru BRZ

>'97

Compared to the years of barely driveable garbage? YES. Ferd still isn't perfect though. Don't buy hondashit.

gti or wrx desu

Theres a dealership in my town that has a number of base model mustang gts for around $28k. They seemed pretty tempting. I almost bought a 2ss Camaro last year for $39k last summer but the salesman was a dick so I walked away. I've since realized I don't want to spend that much on a car. Why is the Si trash? I've been driving a Civic for the last ten years and it's been pretty good to me.

>Theres a dealership in my town that has a number of base model mustang gts for around $28k
wait to see that "dealership fee" and other shit they tack on

get a used gt premium. once you have cooled seats you'll never go back.

I know, that's why I'm assuming it will be around $30k +/- $1k. I guess Camaros jumped in price, just searched and it looks like $37k for an 8 cylinder.
My wife's kid hauler has those. I'm a big fan of the butt chillers. This is just going to be my commuter car.

The old Civic Si's used high revving K-series engines known for making lots of power. The new Si doesn't and instead uses a Honda Fit engine that they quickly threw a turbo at to say "look! Performance!" when the L-series engine HAS NO aftermarket support BECAUSE the engine is such shit.
The $35k Civic Type R is a decent buy, but that gets a 2.0K K-series turbo.

So do you think the Type R justifies the extra $10k? I have a hard time justifying that much money for a Honda Civic.

it's a better buy than the Si, let's put it that way. Because with the L15 engine, the Si is trash.'
Personally, I'd just get a WRX or a Camaro V6 1LE.

>Why is the Si trash?
Because honda has really lost their way recently.

The old Civic Si used a 2.4L n/a engine that was actually pretty peppy for what it was. Now its a much much smaller 1.5L engine with a dinky turbo to make up for the power loss. The turbo is really small and theres a ton of boost on the engine. It makes about the same power and torque as the 2015 civic si did without any real benefit. Basically the Civic EX with the 1.5L and turbo is the same engine set up as the Civic Si with the 1.5L and turbo except it makes much less boost. Some japanese guys took a civic ex, replaced the turbine in the turbo and swapped an intake and made something stupid like 350hp out of the dinky 4 cylinder.

Basically the new civic si makes the same performance as the old civic si but it costs 1k more

You'll never find a civic type-r for 35k. They're all bloated with dealership markup out the ass.

I've owned 4 Trans Ams in the past, so I'm a bit partial to the F-body (if that is even what the Camaro is these days). A V6 fbody always felt like you cheaped out, and I didn't like them. That being said, my last one was an LS1, so it's probably comparable to a V6 Camaro these days. Is the difference still that big?

The new V6 Camaro is something else.
It can do mid-13 second 1/4 miles. It can scare a 5.7L V8 Dodge Challenger on the drag strip.
The V6 Camaro makes 335 HP, which is more than recent 4.6L V8 Mustangs.
They're fast.
And the 1LE is a handling package only available on manual transmission cars. The 1LE package has gained fame among enthusiasts for the DRASTIC difference it makes in handling.
Besides.
>Dat noise
youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4

youtube.com/watch?v=gwl1f0WbdxA

aftermarket support is in progress. see hondata/ktuning

The Si was just released 3ish months ago.

OP needs more qualifiers than just manual and backseat.

Wow, that might be worth looking at. I didn't realize that the V6 had improved so much, and it actually sounds pretty good. My last TA had like 327HP or something like that. Sounded really good though.

Honestly, that's really it. Just looking for a fun car with a stick and a backseat for under $30k. I have no brand loyalty anymore. Just the transmission narrows it down very significantly.

wrx

I have an Si.

Here's what I wanted: fun daily commuter with good mpg, but also fun to drive. wanted a decent backseat and stick. It's cheaper and better equipped than both a wrx and gti. Gets better fuel economy and actually has a real diff unlike the FoST. If you have any questions about it, lmk.

I keep thinking I need to test drive one of those. I'm just a bit turned off by the whole 'old lesbian from vermont' vibe that Subaru gives off
Was there a markup at the dealership because it's so new? I'm assuming there wasn't much in the way of wiggle room, was there? I have a 2008 EX and not having power locks is getting old. I'm assuming it has all of the creature comforts?

>I keep thinking I need to test drive one of those. I'm just a bit turned off by the whole 'old lesbian from vermont' vibe that Subaru gives off
congrats, you've dismissed a car because of a 90's meme

No, I got it for less than MSRP. It's possible to get them in the low 23s from what I've seen without much effort.

I know, and I feel stupid about it too. I just can't shake it.
priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/
It's their own fault though.

maybe you should go drive one one instead of buying into stereotypes

I think you might have just sold me on the Si. Sounds like I can get one for $7k less than a mustang GT, and have all of the same gizmos?
Honestly, I really wanted a truck but an auto transmission is a deal breaker for me and I don't want a Dodge 2500 Diesel. I used to have a V-6 Silverado with a stick and it was perfect.

I'm planning on it, desu. There are enough people here mentioning it that it seems worthwhile.

You should drive everything under the sun first. See what suits you.

I think the cars in the segment go after different things. WRX goes after awd and hp. FoST goes for hot hatch. GTI goes for grown up hot hatch. Si for grown up sedan.

The only things I don't like about it so far are the ultra light clutch and the rev hang. It's not a rocketship but somehow only a tenth behind the FoST in the 1/4 mile.

youtube.com/watch?v=5UUIctl9hWk
Note that their test Camaro is a V6 with the 8 speed automatic

So it has one of those clutches where the friction point is really finicky? My dad had a Hyndai Elantra with a stick for a while and it is the only car I've stalled at a traffic light since high school. It was awful.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Anyone have an opinion on the Challenger? I kind of forgot that Dodge even existed.

I don't think it's super finicky. Just lighter than other 'sporty' cars. It catches up top, but that's where I like it.

My 2008 has a stick, and I'll be interested to see the difference when I go drive an Si. The one I have right now is a pretty good balance between a really loose clutch and something that's too sensitive.

they're not as fast.
They don't handle as well
they're heavy
but they're comfy, and the V6 isn't that bad

But then you have own an FCA product.