Was the MK4 Supra actually a good car?

Was the MK4 Supra actually a good car?

When stock, was it fast? Did it handle really well? Did it do anything to earn the fame it accrued post F&F? Did it deserve to be apart of the same lineage as the 2000GT?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CaXDNtE11VA
youtube.com/watch?v=fTsTyxg5eJQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No,no, and no.

That's why it sold like shit

Yes to all of these, people really only car about the engine now but stock skidpad ect tests show that the car was actually good on a track turning also.

maybe

Sure its a good car, but it will never be worthy of its actual legendary meme status.

No car would be really. Maybe the gt40 or something.

Not OP but what about the older gens of Supra? Were they noteworthy on their own or was it just the 4th gen that ran away on meme status?

Considering that the turbo one was only 10k cheaper than an NSX bought new in the 90s it wasn't really that impressive but it was a great engine in a decent car that got memed.

1st and 2nd gen were abysmally slow failures when it came to performance they got by on comfort
3rd gen is a shitttier heavier uglier mk4

this, comparing to other sports cars on the market it was nothing super impressive.

>MkIII uglier than MKIV
Opinion discarded.

>liking bland 80s design

opinion discarded indeed

>Bland
Sleek, sexy, beautiful lines
>MKIV
Front looks like a chimp laughing.

Celica were better - a 1972 Celica handled better than a 240 and any fat muscle car yankee doodles made.

meh just looks like boring ass generic design

looks cool with a Soarer front tho

>Sleek, sexy, beautiful lines

I mean that basically describes the MK IV when compared to the fatty MK III

lolno

Celica was an economy car that got btfo by the 240Z in every way magazines didnt even like it that much

>Celica was an economy car that got btfo by the 240Z in every way

Your opinion is trash, I suggest you revise it.

Or else.

>opinion

thats a fact

Celicas were just economy cars with sporty bodies S30 was a legit sports car

pig fat that a 1JZ Toyota sedan weighs 400 lbs less

MKIII is more refined, for those with taste. MKIV is for instagram kids chasing likes.

Hey kid, Celica were decent cars but every year they got btfo by another car in same segment. I remember when last Celica gts came out, they got btfo by integra gsr in every measure. I think Toyota fucked up when they moved from rwd to fwd. last Supra was sad also.
I never met or knew anyone who bought one at msrp or under. Typically they were marked up 10 to 20k.

>Celica Supras are now coveted meme machines that sell for $100,000
>shitty donked Integras can be found for $3,000

lel

Your homosexuality is a fact. Your thoughts on cars are just opinions. And not very good ones.

Nope, C4 ZR1 is a real sports car. Toyota was an overpriced GT for 40 year old men. FnF basically changed public perception of t
he car entirely, for the worse.

mk3 is for pretentious children who think 80s cars look good apparently

theyre ugly worst Supra

lol Celica Supras sell for like $5k in great condition

and no its a fact you retarded fanbabby

Yea it's funny how things turned out. When I see clean 240sx or ae86 going for more then 3k I laugh.
They were whatever new, now kids are eating them up crazy.

the Celica and the 240z is not an apples to apples comparison. the 510 would be a more apt competitor.

As opposed to a plastic blob with a ridiculous spoiler and a toothless grin that matches the mouth of anyone who likes them.
2JZ is a good engine, but the hero car it sits in is ugly as sin.

nigga Im not the one who brought it up

Id say a 710 would be better comparison

yet compared to a MK3 its a beauty queen
I dont even think the MK IV is a great looker

spotted the Nissan fanboi

nope

Im just a realist

something I quickly realize Toyotafags have no overlap with (goddamn you Supra and MR2 fags are the worst)

>tripfag having shitty opinions

what else is new

Never change, Veeky Forums

>user shitposting because his feelings get hurt over facts

yeah things stay the same

don't shitpost too hard, heartbreaker will think you're trying to take his title

the 710 is a boat by comparison. you meme about the Celica being derivative of the Corolla, but you forget that the Corolla itself was smaller and lighter than just about any other car on the market. its why i made the comparison to the 510 because nothing Nissan/Datsun made ever came close to being that light. in fact, i think you'd be hard pressed to find any non kei car that comes in under the 1800 lbs mark.

lolwat

>Datsun 710
1005-1060 kg
105 hp

>Celica
890-1160 kg
96 hp

Celica isnt even based on the Corolla

Are you seriously going to post that with a hellaflush PoS as a picture?

you really think 400 lbs isn't that much?

>Celica isnt even based on the Corolla

its "based" on the mustang and other american pony cars, but if you've ever actually sifted through a toyota parts catalog, it is very much based on the corolla.

In what universe is that 'Hellaflush'?

i want it so bad

problem is that 890 is the lowest earliest basest model

a 710 was quicker than the Celica or just about the same

Corolla =/= Carina

>all of these filtered posts
I'm not even gonna guess which virgin loser tripfag is in here shitting it up with their garbage opinions

imagine being this much of a snowflake that a name triggers you

poor babby let me detrip to address you so you can get the attention youre asking for

>tripfaggot getting triggered they drop their trip to have an autismo-fit
kek

>1974 Celica GT

0-60: 11.5 seconds
1/4-mile: 18.2 @ 73.9
Top speed: 104 MPH
Source: Car and Driver, May 1974

its on par with a pigfat late 70s Datsun 510

kek just a name is all it takes to make these guys go retarded

anons ruin Veeky Forums but I dont want the attention whore to kill himself because he didnt get any attention

>make supra in a N/A 2JZ
>it sucks
>Its pigfat
>220 hp in a 3.0 DOHC lol
>panic
>throw a turbo because you have no other good idea
>suddenly its a japanese muscle car godmachine pro driving spirited racing JDM god monster

Amazing what a few mods will do, isnt it?

forced induction works wonders doesn't it

>car culture is for instagram kids chasing likes.

fixed that for you.

Maybe in America.

Also nobody wanted to pay (once you factor inflation) the equivalent of $50k for something with a Toyota badge on it. Which is why Lexus was created, to trick know nothings into buying premium Toyotas. Which is why the next Supra will be badged as a Lexus.

Handling was never the Supras strong point. Car and Driver and Motor Trend at the time both noted the less than inspiring handling.

anyone who thinks it's a bad handling car is a fuckwit.

Consider the fact the supra's braking was #1 in the world until 2004, when the carrera gt dethroned it.

Or it's skidpad ratings.

The supra was great not because it was an amazing car stock, but because as a tuning platform very few cars can compare to what happens when you start pouring money into it.

But it was not a 'bad' car stock.

Okay, so we're doing this meme again.

Depended on year and trim. Technically speaking it only broke 50 once. Why do we complain about Supra prices but never complain about NSX or R34 prices?

I was agreeing with the first half of your post. But the second half of your post implies it didn't compete with the greatest contemporaries of its era with no mods. Which it did. I would really like this "it underperformed stock" meme to end, because any legitimate review of it at its launch was thoroughly impressed with it.

The fuck is up with that pricetag.
>the newer the more expensive
What the fuck happened in the 97 and 98?

>back when ultra high end sports car couldn't even reach 300 kmh
Man it sure does feels good to live a few years past that. JDMs might not be as fun but getting a sports car to break 200 mph isn't that odd.

You know that's still $72-78,000 in 2017 money right? For a Toyota.

You could pay $57-60,000 adjusted for inflation for a E36 M3 instead (or $35-40,000 in 95-99) and get four seats and a BMW badge.

>my car is as fast as a stock toyota supra turbo mk4

fuck yeah

It was good, but not necessarily much better than other cars in its price range. Ultimately its just the potential of the drivetrain that made it special.

Some of those numbers just seem sad now

>and a bmw badge

confirmed for absolute moron

and the chassis

Yes, it actually was a great car.
Deal with it your contrarianism doesn't change reality.

you'd also get none of the interesting stuff.
Supra is a rare excotic sportscar from japan made to be a GT car and a legend in pop culture. It is one of the few cars to have unique styling and it is guranteed to draw a crowd even with normies.
A e36 m3 is just a spiced up e36. They are so ubiquitous they are possibly one of the most boring and obvious cars to get. They are nice cars but it's like being able to go to any restaurant in the world and just going to mcdonalds.
And you'll get BMW reliability.
But honestly I live in balt where every second car is a bimmer and honestly an M3 is a reasonable choice.
In the end it's all down to personal preference but I'd rather hang out with a guy who has a supra than with a guy who has yet another m3

it had incredibly good brakes and a motor that is still considered one of the best 20 years later. the car had no major issues at all. it just was so expensive that you could get an even cooler car for a little more.

Japan's bubble bust

Is this a joke?
Your question literally answers itself

It makes sense that it's expensive. Less than 40k miles kept stock. That's the clean man's tax, not the ricer tax

>y good on a track turn
Pretty much every supra ever was a piece of shit except for the final twin turbo variant.

Sure the old ones were fun, like how a shittier performing FRS/BRZ/86 is, but its not like a god tier sports car.

Supras were basically suped up miatas for the most part. The K20As that shipped with the base models were woefully underpowered what with their 4.0L v6s. The fact that they ran that through a FWD system also didnt help.

Hopefully the new Toyota Supra coming up will have something cool in store like a big old VAG 2.0 TFSI.

I love this logic. "It was nothing special. Just the drivetrain and the chassis."

So ... the car.

It's almost as if this were 24 years ago.

Half of the people posting on here didn't exist when these were being tested.

DID SOMEONE SAY 10 SECOND CAR AND OVERNIGHT PARTS FROM JAPAN?
youtube.com/watch?v=CaXDNtE11VA

This, 100%. Just because you want to be a unique snowflake doesn't change what it is.

It's expensive precisely /because/ it has no flaws. Any problems people have with it are subjective, it is a very solid machine.

Also, this.

>1994

1997-2002 or bust.

Wew lad

A lot of people think Supras are expensive due to FNF and other stupid shit, but in reality it's expensive just because it's rare as all fuck. It's rarer than a R34 and it's just as rare as some Italian exotics.Ferrari made more F40's than Toyota made LHD Supras.

RHD Supras production numbers were ~5,000 whereas LHD Supras were only about ~2,000, couple with the fact only about half of those were 6 spd TT's, shit nigga. This is the chief reason why RHD Supras are way, way cheaper than LHD ones, not simply due to the fact American Supras had non-ceramic turbos like some people think.

I have the production numbers bookmarked / saved somewhere on my car folder, but I'm way too lazy and high to find it.

>absolute moron

explains why they sold 37,000 e36 m3s in america to 11,000 mkiv supras (of which 7,000 were turbos)

I'm not saying its a bad car, I'm saying it was expensive for what you got which is why they didn't sell well.
It cost $10-15,000 more.

And forget sik mahdz most people who bought them new weren't thinking about opening a HKS catalog and overnighting parts from Japan. They were...badgewhores, yuppies, etc who just wanted a cool looking sports car to pull up to @ da club.

That's great, I'm talking about if you were a yuppie in 1995 living in Miami who wanted a new sports car.

>due to the fact American Supras had non-ceramic turbos like some people think.
Wait, what. I've never heard this before. Tell me moar?

Also, nice digits mah dude.

>I have the production numbers bookmarked / saved somewhere on my car folder, but I'm way too lazy and high to find it.

I have quite a few production figures, and I'm not sure any match the ones you're citing. Which country are you referring to? Because global production was much higher.

>And forget sik mahdz most people who bought them new weren't thinking about opening a HKS catalog and overnighting parts from Japan. They were...badgewhores, yuppies, etc who just wanted a cool looking sports car to pull up to @ da club.

It came out in '93. By '95 it has already gained a solid reputation for tuneability. The people you're talking about, if they did exist, existed for a very brief period of 1-2 years.

>That's great, I'm talking about if you were a yuppie in 1995 living in Miami who wanted a new sports car.
I don't think the Supra ever attracted these people. What reputation did it have with the A70?

Is this the Chick that showed up in Noriyaro's new video?

This post... What a fucking ride.

Just in general. My point is back then there was no internet and you knew about cars from other people and magazines/TV. Tuning wasn't exactly a huge thing.

The people that buy cars like these new ($50-75,000) even today aren't going to run out and mod it or think

>wow it has a 2jz turbo engine capable of 1000hp with a few simple mods

They literally just wanted a high-end sports coupe. And $45-50,000 was a lot for one when the Corvette and M3 were $5-10,000 less. SUVs started getting popular too back then so the demand for sports cars was going down. Just look at sales figures towards the end of their lifespans for the FD, Z32, MKIV, VR4, etc, each sold hundreds in their last year.

Badgewhoring was a actual factor back then too which didn't help sales of Japanese sports cars that cost the equivalent of a $70-75,000 car. Nissans, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, etc were still "foreign" and its tough to ask that money and get the same level of service as you would for a Altima or a Camry.

lolwat

there was 11,315 Supras imported into the US and like 40,000 in total

but yeah compared to other big 90s Japanese cars maybe its not so many

151,454 Stealth/3000GTs
89,156 Z32s
13,879 FDs
8,997 NSXs

Celica was in all ways shittier than the 240 and you know it, Yota shill. Just look at those skinny tires. BTFO yota cuck

2JZ-GTE Supra stock is still faster than an E36 M3 though, even EUDM.

>320hp/3500lbs vs 240hp/3200lbs

no shit?

>faster != better

How about
>320hp/3500lbs cs 320hp/3200lbs
The TT Supra was faster than the EUDM 3.2 E36

>The GT86 was great not because it was an amazing car stock, but because as a tuning platform very few cars can compare to what happens when you start pouring money into it.

Toyotafags in a nutshell.

>151,454 Stealth/3000GTs

Shit, why are there so few left?

Mk4 Turbos were turned in during cash 4 clunkers

>E36 M3, EU Spec 3.2 litre: 5.2s
>JZA80, turbnocharged: 4.6s

Just took those out of Wikipedia, but even if they weren't super accurate, over half a sec is still quite a difference.

Too bad it gets BTFO in every category by pic related

>30k miles
>this car has 36k miles
First warning sign that you're getting ripped off

Is that a real question?
kek

STOP! DELET!

I'll never stop hating the Obama administration for this.

>when you're so high you only recalled the 97 production year

Well I certainly fucked up

Alright, correction, from 93 to 98, only ~3,500 Mk IV Supras 6 spd TT's LHD were made, 11,000 in total were made though.

Here's a sick vid from best motoring with a veilside supra duking it out with super cars. There's another one that races in stock form and it's racing gtrs but I can't find it. They recently re-uploaded everything so it's a mess to find shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=fTsTyxg5eJQ