Aussie get itt

I'm looking at buying a vz commonwhore v6 for a family members first car, but I've only ever played with 5ltr and ecotecs. What should I be looking for on the alloytec 3.6l? I was told something about the timing chain years ago but I'm lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Astra-2004/OAG-AD-15133203/?Cr=10
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ba/bf is better in every conceivable way.

Not my decision, I'm afraid. I'm just supposed to make sure it's not fucked. I told her to by a ecotec so I'd actually know what I was looking at.

Timing chains were faulty on early Alloytecs (premature guide wear and chain stretch), but fixed on the VE onwards. Any timingchain replacement on a VZ after this period were replaced with later model parts that all but fix the problem. Just check the service history to see if your car has had this replaced, otherwise its a $2000 job.
In what way?

Thx m8.

>getting a commodore
>not a v8
For what reason?

No dramas. If it weren't for the timingchain issue they're otherwise great cars. The SV6 is a fair wack of fun for a full size sedan, as long as it has a proper gearbox.

I've owned a 2003 VY Commodore for about 3 years. It's a great vehicle for a first driver. Enough power to have fun but not get in too much trouble. Heaps of room, great visibility and economy is okay as long as you're not a lead foot. I can get 8L/100km cruising on the highway, but I've had it up to 14L/100km during harsh city driving.
My main issue is the 4 speed auto is crap, not sure what the VZ has though.

First car for little girl on her Ps
Yeah, I have no issue with the ecotecs. Last forever until you blow a radiator hose and you're too retarded to notice until the piston is slapping the block.
t. Cooked a vy about a month ago

early 3.6L alloytecs had issues with the timing chain guides. This was fixed for the 2009 model year and has been a non-issue ever since.

>First car for little girl on her Ps
Does she want a Commodore or is it a surprise?

She picked it, I'm just gonna go with her to have a look and pretend I know about cars and shit

First car for a girl.
A massive sedan with a 3.6L.

My theory is your whole family is a bunch of terrible drivers. That's why you don't think she'll be safe in a Civic. If she gets taught how to drive properly she would be absolutely fine. A driving instructor would have been a good choice

I'd imagine they picked it because commodores depreciate in value so quickly that you can pick up a low km 2005 car for $5000 and are easy to get parts for. Also im pretty sure she did learn from a driving instructor. Nice psychoanalysis attempt on a 4chins post tho, m8.

>2000s
>still using pushrods

Try convince her to get a vy instead. Similar looks but a much better engine as you already know.

>Make sure the timing chain is done
>still no word on my SS from RACV :(

What happened to your ute user?

He tried to do sikk skidzā„¢ and lost it like a pleb

Old mate hasn't even responded though so I think I was bang on

I am op. Sorry for the confusion

alloytec is dohc im bretty sure

Yeah well trying to park that thing with p plates and no y chromosome she's going to be doing a lot of walking

>seden with power steering and parking sensors is hard to park
Just lol

>16-17 year old female
>parking anything well

Everyone has to learn

Riiight. I was talking about your or me was I

My dad taught me with garbage bins. Cars are a bit different.

Look m8. I wasnt the one to teach her to drive and I wasnt the one to pick out the car. I'd just the cunt who got cucked into making sure it's not on its last leg or had major work done. What exactly are you trying to get out of me? Do you want me to just say its a heap of shit and buy a Yaris instead?

>Do you want me to just say its a heap of shit and buy a Yaris instead?
Yes.

And what kind of fucked little buzz box do you think I'm gonna pick up for 5g? I'm probably the goober thats gonna be servicing it and I don't fuck with jap cars since my days as a hilux and Civic owner.

I'm the guy you asked.
And yes. Just let her know parking will be the main problem (unless you can teach her). People usually work their way up to bigger and more powerful cars for a reason

carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Astra-2004/OAG-AD-15133203/?Cr=10

>buy a 10+ yo small car instead
No thx.

Yeh just get a 10+ year old v6 which she'll spin out and swipe a tree with instead. great fucking idea.

Stretched timing chains that eventually ruin the engine

Also about to buy my first car at the ripe age of 28

would getting one of these be a bad idea. especially if I don't know how to drive a manual car yet?

but a shitbox and learn in that m8, not point in wrecking the car due to inexperience.

I have much more confidence in a gm v6 than the shit you posted. Astras are heaps of shit when they're new.

who gives a shit youre buying a v6 kys

Learn to haggle while buying car privately. You can get something better than that for the price it just takes a _bit_ of bullshit

why would I wreck the car? Im a pretty careful driver to begin with

There are over 13,000 cars for sale under $5k. A VZ is not going to be your best option.

I don't even know how much the bloke is asking. I'm just guessing from what seems to be the going rate. I only know it's a vz seden.
Commodores and falcons are always cheaper than similar cars as long as you don't want an SS or Calais

>anyone but Sean Finn killing themselves

>VZ
>parking sensors
Yeah nah

t. VZ owner

>I don't know how to drive a manual
>I'm a careful driver
I've played a lot of video games, I'm a pretty dab hand with marksmanship, I'm confident in my abilities at shooting if I go to an actual range

Got cut off at 80 in very wet weather

Buy an avalon
Cheap, comfy, and reliable as fuck

RE timing chains, the way to tell if it needs one is to start the car dead cold and listen at the front of the motor. If it rattles like fuck before it builds oil pressure, it needs a timing chain. The tensioner is spring+hydraulic.

watch out for sludge from those v6s better off with a v8

No reason for sludge unless there's a lack of oil changes.

This thing looks like one of those modern art benches

Thoughts on the R8?

Is Lada 4x4 Bronto any good?

Why do people seem to think the VZ Commodore is a power house? It's fucking tame as fuck, especially with the 4 speed auto

No.
Do not buy a vz sv6, at around 200,000km they need a timing chain replacement and it is a very expensive job.
this problem was not fixed until the late model VE commodores.

so either get a VY ecotec v6 or just get a VY SS like a normal person.

They sludge up because the passenger side rocker cover has only a tiny hole for crank case ventilation.

Yes they are awesome, they are better than a VE all other things being equal.

how expensive are we talking?

$2000-$3000
you could buy like 5 replacement LS1 engines for a VY SS for that much.

False sense of power with an open diff, I guess.

>LS1 for under a grand
Fucking where.

you being serious?
Go to pretty much any wreckers in Australia and you will find a written off commodore with an ls1 that can be yours for $500

This. V6 Commodore is rubbish. Either get a LS2 Commodore of if you must get a six get a Falcon or Territory

>LS2 commodore
u wot?
only HSVs ever had an ls2 in them, commodores went to the l98 after the ls1.

Fuck you fuckin aussies, bloody impossible finding a decent LS1 in NZ for under 2 grand.

Well whatever the 6.0L is called in non HSV. Fucking GM and stupid naming conventions.

yeah but ew.
they are only making 270kw at the crank, a vy ls1 is making 250kw at the crank but guess which is cheaper to maintain/modify?

that niggers full of shit, I have never seen a decent LS1 for that price my Kiwi brethren

what about the vz thunder?

Been wanting to look at a VX S near me. Anything to look out for on this model?

Not the LS1 which is constructed of pinton slap and burning oil...

Drive past on Sunday and saw the churned up dirt in the centre ditch and your exhaust, not a single fucking tyre mark. RACV is going to tell you to eat a big bag of dicks

So what does the lack of tyre mark suggest to you?

Hey bus rider. Usually, if you're travelling at 80km an hour and someone pulls out into your lane, and you want to avoid a collision, most drivers will stomp on the brakes and throw the clutch. This often leaves thick black parallel tyres marks.

No tyres marks, leaving the road and into a ditch from the outside lane doesnt really suggest that. Combined with the lack of witnesses or police report and there's absolutely nothing to back up the story. In Australia, careless or reckless driving invalidates your insurance.

Guys, I need a final verdict
>Be me, learner with only a few hours left and will hopefully be on my p's well within 3 months
>Want to get into mechanics, since I've pissed around with motobikes and really enjoyed it
>Looking at a VT commodore that needs about $300-$400 worth of parts
>Have list of what's wrong with it
>Dude is selling it for $800; that's after I haggled with him a bit
>Around 180000 km's
>In decent condition; being sold due to the owner upgrading

I am thinking of buying this as a Summer project for while I'm on uni break. I'm aware that the resale value is pretty much nothing, but it'll be nice to have a car I can work on myself, as well as one that I can crash into a wall or some shit and not really care.

Thoughts?

manual swap it if it isn't manual.
Get it though, cheap and easy to work on. I bought a vy for my first car and it's been awesome to work on and learn.

It's an auto, and right now I'm not practiced enough in a manual to really justify swapping it. Would definitely consider in the future when I've had more practice in other cars though.

But thanks for the response user. I think I'll go ahead; the stuff that needs fixing all seems pretty complicated, but I'm pretty confident I can figure it out given time. And them being easy to work on makes it a little less scary.

Have any mates that are into cars? I would always ask my mates to help me and once I've been shown something, I get pretty comfortable with it.

But yeh, one of the best/cheapest cars to fix up so you'll be fine.

They're all rank beginners too, but interested. One or two mates who are into cars, but probably not going to be able to help me due to their jobs. That being said, there is an engineer in the family who worked on these at Holden, so I'm not totally screwed if I need help.

Cheers for the answers user. I'm sending the message tomorrow morning telling the dude I'll buy it.

Whats wrong with it, exactly?