/bmwg/

BMW general thread

Do you own a bimmer, want a bimmer or are interested in bimmers? Get in here!

Post bmw's, discuss bmw's, replace water pumps, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

autotopsdirect.com/BMW-Convertible-Tops-s/52.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Water got into my e90 from the hurricane. Pooled water on the passenger side. Car runs, but interior lights, turn signals, and windows don't work.

wat do.

I want to buy a 323ti off Craigslist, what should I be looking out for? Is the rear subframe issue from the sedans present on the estates?

Am I the only one that fucking hates how their xDrive cars feel when driving? It's like driving in sludge or some shit

It's only present on m3's that have been driven hard.

Haven't driven one myself but most people have said they prefer the normal rwd drivetrain and simply use good winter tires in the snow

The wiring going from the battery to the lighting modules to the lighting has been fried. You're gonna have to replace all that and then clear the codes. It's a lot of work but it's much cheaper to do it yourself. Isn't your insurance covering it though?

What kind of shit won't I be able to repair by myself with basic tools? I want a bimmer but I don't want to spend extra money bringing it to a shop just because they can charge extra for the brand.

>only present on m3's that have been driven hard
But not on any other trimline? That's kind of weird, anything else to look out for on the 323ti?

Got my oil changed today. Mechanic guy said my car is in perfect condition. I feel like a proud parent.

why did they change from Es to Fs?

spotted this at cars n coffee

Only the M3 exerts enough stress on the subframe to cause cracking. If you were to build the 323i engine without reinforcing the subframe then you might have it then too. Other issues off the top of my head are the cooling system and the window regulators. If the water pump and rad hoses have been replaced, and the window regulators are working properly/replaced then it'll be fine.

I've gotten that too, feels so good. Most memorable was when the exhaust guy thought my car was a 2014 (it's an 07)

HOT!!!

I dropped my keys in the trunk of my E46 while I was unloading stuff and my trunk closed and is also locked. All doors are locked and all windows are up. I google this situation and apparently it's very common and almost impossible to take the keys out.

How fucked am I?

I have a 2011 328i xDrive and I regularly let it rev to about 5 to 6k. My dad was telling me that since the engine is at about 75k miles my engine was gonna break down soon. Is he right? I'm a poorfag and I want to keep my car running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible. Should I try to limit my revs to about 3k?

Is this a joke? Your dad seems to not know anything about cars if he thinks that's the case. Your engine will be fine user just make sure you change the oil regularly and in about 5-10k miles change the spark plugs.

I bet if you tow it to the dealer or even a german mechanic they'll know how to get them out

Waiting to find out if my E30 got flooded I'm the hurricane. It was at a shop by the beach and they said it would be safe but I think the flooding was worse than they expected.
>Bronzit E30 in the collage

>shop by the beach
user, I..

I know... My neighborhood is still flooded, so I'm scared to find out what happened there. Maybe he put it on a lift?

wow, still no e21?
e23fag here

But I just learned that "my" E34 touring is still where I thought it was. I just need to find a way to tow it and a place to tow it to. It's really rusty and doesn't run though and I'm kind of ashamed of it. I'll probably just part it out.

Praying for your E30 to be okay, collagebro

Signed e60bro #1

Where in Florida are you? I'm in Jacksonville

There goes the HVAC sword of my E32, had to order a new one from Japan because I am not quite confident in my soldering skills just yet.
Just when I managed to replace the shifter linkage rod, shit had snapped in half right in the middle.

What are the 3-5 cheapest to run and buy BMWs in order? I want to commute with a BMW or have one as my second car, or both.

You need a locksmith or call the cops to wedge your door open but it will create a door gap forever.

I bought an extremely rusty E34 525i with big ass holes in skirts and rust bubbles all around.
I am going to restore the car because it's mechanically immaculate - one granddad owner for the last 17 years.
I would buy your both front fenders if you cared to ship them to yuroland, they're the same color i need

I just realized that I need an E38 740d in my life. That twin turbo diesel V8 tho.
According to my research, that engine is used in fucking trains in Germany.

Smash a window and get your keys trough the ski-hole in the middle of the rear seat. Possible alternative, remove one of the rear speakers and get it trough there.

post you research
sounds like BS but i'm curious

Well it was the M67TUD40 to be specific, the slightly improved diesel V8 that was in the E65, but they were also used in these things, the Siemens DuoCombino trams.
My mistake as it was a tram, not a train.

Still need a twin turbo diesel V8 E38.

wtf i had no idea. that's pretty badas

Anything with a naturally aspirated I6. 525/528/530 & 325/328/330 off the top of my head.

I'm buying a 1987 325i this Saturday. Super pumped. Everything on the car is in great shape except the roof so I'm looking to buy a new one and replace it. Does anyone have a recommendation of Stayfast vs. Twillfast?

any California anons here?
I am planning on moving from eastern europe to Los Angeles for work, I will be making about 2400 usd per month and my (future) boss says I'm going to have to buy a car after a while because traveling to work is best by car.
I have owned older BMW's all my life so I would probably buy an e30, e34, e36 or e46 (I see they can be had for cheap in classifieds) so maintenance wouldn't be much of an issue but I have heard that owning a car in ''commiefornia'' is hard because of smog laws, high insurance costs and other taxes.
Can someone confirm this?

I don't think it's that hard... California has one of the largest car scenes in the world

It was from Irma. I'm in Houston. Car was never in standing water, it's an old leak that I THOUGHT was very small. The ridiculous amount of rain ended up being sufficient to get in and do more than just make the car musty, this time.

Not using insurance because cheapest liability insurance life.

Going off what people say and my own experiences

BMW E34 530 or 535 with the M30 engine (easy to work on and rated the most reliable BMW ever made)
BMW E30 (most models are pretty reliable)
BMW E36 (heavily depends on the care of the car now but they're pretty solid if the PO wasnt a tard)
BMW E39 (moving towards risky territory here but on the whole they're pretty good)

And an honorable mention is the E32. They're a pretty solid 7 series since they didn't have too much crazy tech like the E38 that can go wrong.

Any of these are really reliable as long as the PO didn't abuse them or take poor care of them. Maintain it and it will last forever.

Nah it's not hard. Every 2 years you get a smog check, costs $40 and takes 10 min. Taxes might be higher but you'll be fine.

also is the insurance not going to be ridiculously expensive since I would be an immigrant with no driving history etc.
I'd only buy the cheapest liability insurance probably.

>I'd only buy the cheapest liability insurance probably.
This is what you do unless you're like 50 years old and never had a speeding ticket

yeah, but approximately how much does the insurance cost? $100 per month?
I'm turning 22 in a few months btw.
browsing craigslist right now, cars are so cheap to buy in the U.S. Might even finally afford an M car for the first time.
Driving by the californian coast during sunset in a sports car has been on my bucket list for a while and it hopefully will come true, super excited

Ehh I wouldn't go for an M unless you can foot the maintenance, you have to remember a used M car has been driven fucking hard for a long time. If you're worried about insurance already then I would stick with something normal like a 328 or 530i. I mean I could afford to get an M6 (my dream car) but I won't because of I just can't deal with how much parts and gas will cost.

But anyway yeah it should be from $100-150

yeah i think i might start out with a 328is or something and will see how it goes.
I think a u.s spec E36 M3 should be decent on maintenance though, it shares many parts with the 323i and 328i M52 engines

Yup that is true but the problem is finding a clean, well-maintained e36 m3. If you can find one and can afford it then go for it user.

Thanks user. My dad is a mechanical engineer but he studied like 30 years ago so I'm sure his info is outdated.

you won't kill the engine by revving.
but something actually may go bad on the engine and your dad probably will blame you for revving it. Lol

He's outdated alright. He thinks an engine at 75k miles is going to completely shit itself soon and thinks revving will destroy it? Your car is fine senpai. Ask literally any other mechanic or engineer.

user, being a mech eng doesn't mean you know engines unless you had a concentration in automotive engineering.

A bmw engine especially an I4 is not going to shit itself at 75k, certainly not from revving it high. Hell my e60 is fucking 10 years old and gets redlined on the regular, yet it runs perfectly. Actually it prefers to get redlined from what I can tell.

The E32 is a bitch to maintain in any form to be honest.
M30 powered ones, unless manual, have a lot of transmission issues due to age.
M60 powered ones have their fair share of problems too due to the still new V8 engine, mostly to do with chain tensioners and cooling system.
M70 is M70.

E38 728's were not half bad at all, especially if you have the manual transmission. The 728 was base of the base, so there's not much to go wrong there, yet you'll still look fly as fuck.

I've known of E38s to have some pretty bad electrical issues. The V12 engines are nightmares too, the workspace is pretty poor.

I'm surprised about the E32s being bad though. They really didn't have that much tech on them.

sup fags I got another e36

this

The E32 is ancient, has hundreds of miles of wiring running through it and archaic electronics that fail every now and then.
The E32 did have a lot of tech in them, especially for the time and that tech hasn't aged too well in them.

Can agree on the V12 part though, changing spark plugs is a 4 hour ordeal if you don't want to break stuff.