C-can I ask you guys for some advice?

C-can I ask you guys for some advice?

Hoping there are some professionals in here who I can talk to in their field...

My company is giving me all the shitty projects and I make a lot of money sitting on my ass

I want harder work and much more advanced which I am capable of but they are giving me shitty projects and they hired me for so much fucking money it is crazy

you can kill yourself

On the off chance you aren't trolling, what field of work?

Tech, and I'm not trolling. Everyone who I have talked to tells me to not worry about working on shitty projects and just keep working for that big payday, I'm just not comfortable taking money when I'm capable of much more

Work in IT myself. This is basically how it goes in any tech field

1.)Get a Masters/MBA, and go into the business/management side of the industry. You'll face more challenging work off the bat, get to have more direct involvement in the big picture of your company, but you're not going to be working directly on projects

2.)Accept the fact that if you go with a more hands on tech/IT position (coding, networking, system design, security) that you will spend the first 5-10 years of your career working on shit tier to low-level tier projects as you work you way up the ladder and build up a CV

There was a similar thread on /g/. Here's what I posted:

This could go a few ways:
1. Your boss assigns work out of your area, so you get exposure into the areas you'd like;
2. You're given more responsibility in your current area, giving you the potential to move up into a more senior position;
3. Your boss blows you off;

They usually blow me off and I don't understand why I'm being paid so much and what exactly am I supposed to do when I finished most of my projects already?

What am I going to work on when my projects are either on hold (from the client) or I'm near completion and getting bored as fuck

Why Veeky Forums out of curiosity?

Do you have a good rapport with your boss?
Ask them if they have a minute, and sit down and talk.
Say you feel you can handle more responsibility. I would leave out the bits about you feeling overpaid.

I see my boss once twice or three times a year

Are you a remote worker, or is he a traveling regional manager?

I used to be a highly skilled engineer

Used to work on a lot of projects and had to put in some long hours, and I loved it for low pay.

Took a job offer that brought me up to six figure salary

Now all they give me is bullshit projects?

Are you fucking kidding me? Everyone who knows me says shut the fuck up and take the money, the problem is I'm not happy being a low class engineer when I took a salary bump and title bump but the work is shit???

I met with my boss twice this year, I met with the director once this year, I met with people from my dept twice this year

I can see anyone else in any company I want but they are not in my dept and its tough working with them

I kind of don''t care anymore, and will ask for advice from anyone

Being a boss/having the position someone like the OP would most likely come to in order to have this conversation, let me throw in my 2 cents

The IT/tech field is hilariously over-saturated in most places (in the US). The gold rush to get into the field 10 years ago means you have tons of well/over qualified applicants any time you go to open a reg for a new posting

It's great for us as a company because it means you can staff even low level positions with extremely qualified candidates, and the industry pay average is such that even at these levels, people make good income

It sucks for a lot of employees because they get stuck working positions or projects that are far below their ability level, but as a company, we still need people in those roles to make the day to day business function

That said, no one is going to take notice if you don't raise your hand. It's always a good thing to let your boss know you want to move up and take on more challenging projects, just keep in mind you are likely one of many. Find a way to make yourself stand out

Bro just take the checks and fuck off, don't overthink it.

Make your own purpose in life, don't rely on some dumb job to give you meaningful work to do. Having a good paying job that requires no effort and leaves you extra bandwidth for your own shit is basically ideal.

The company is talking about stock options, they are talking about benefits, they give me projects which I feel is beneath me, I have to get on a call with everyone and talk about my projects even though the people who talk after me are literally working on projects I would love to have my hand in and I understand what to do, but they don't give me shit

and yea, I realize this is stupid, but the guys there who are over 10 years in the same office are friends with everyone. I don't know anybody, I'm planning to throw this career away if they do not start giving me challenging work

Take the checks and fuck off??

What if a job offer comes in a year, what do I say? I fucked off and earned a pay check but didn't work with anything useful? I didn't get to learn anything useful at this company??

In the tech field this is ridiclous

see
Bro, you have to fucking climb the ladder. No one starts on the top. Doesn't matter career field you go in to

I climbed the ladder at my last company, you mean start at the bottom at this one??

My title or position is an improvement from the last title, I would think I would get more challenging work or something

You should be able to show that you took the shit level projects you were given and fucking hit every single one of them out of the god damn ball park .

You should have a work record that clearly demonstrates you are ready for something next level.

Yes, I already did

Projects are on hold right now since clients have other things to do and I'm just sitting on my ass

it means that no company is going to give it's best shit to the fucking new guy my man

Then like other people have said, approach the higher ups in the company and tell them you're ready for something more difficult, but like said, no company is going to hand it's best/most challenging stuff to the new guy, no matter what level you get hired in a company.

Tech is a lot like Law in terms of the workflow man. You will spend a lot of time doing nothing. When you do get to do something, it's usually going to be grunt work as the best assignments will go to the most senior people in the company, and it may take years to work yourself into a position where you get better projects

All the shit you are talking about is why I fucked off back to school to get a Masters and go the management route in IT.

Management in IT
(Especially the depts I have to work with) are some of the shittiest and horrible people I have met

Fuck it, you want to know how bad it is getting

New people hired on left and right, not sure what they do but here it goes

They have comments on "some of our work"

>Topics include, should not use gender pronouns in documentation, wiki pages, IT tech papers etc..

That's your fucking concern, whether someone wrote he or she in a document

WTFFFFFFFFFFF

>Topics include, should not use gender pronouns in documentation, wiki pages, IT tech papers etc..

Good god, if someone was actually dumb enough to write/voice that as an actual opinion they'd be laughed out of the company.

Yea, they have a group they want people to join

I checked out a video for the local company event

LGBT rights and discussions

>Yea, I'll be sure not to go into that meeting

Thankfully the PC Police really haven't made it to the south yet.

So should I just take the money and keep working there or look for another job???

If you finish your shit find out if you can help coworkers doing the stuff you want to do. Surely most of them would be happy to receive help, and it's better than sitting on your ass whining that you have too much free time and money. Actually fucking do something about it.

Its a highly competive workplace, only place you ask to help someone is a workplace which is not competitive

I had to fill on and help out on a project for another guy for two weeks, he kept saying over and over only two weeks

They need my help for two weeks only, nobody really wants to share work

And like I said how do I build a relationship with them if I see them 3x a year. I've seen them twice this year, one more time right guys

Op, youre a whineass.

I don't know of many people who would be dissatisfied they get paid good money to do low end work thag makes them look great because its always done early and properly.

I'm an IT Manager at a managed IT company (we travel to tons of places in our state/region to do IT for people), and make 50k/year + expenses, and i'm doing everythjng from remote support, to on site network and server building, setting up vpn's between 12 locations, or maybe just virus removal. It varries a lot, but I sure wish I made more for this work.

Before this I was the IT Manager of 3 hotels (higher end) in my region. That only paid 35k/year.

Stop whining.

Getting close to completing another project maybe in a week or two. Feels good, but damn I kind of hate this job

Do I take the money and stick to being the new guy? Or do I find another job and work on much more advanced projects?

I'm better than this, and I damn well know I am dedicated. But the scrapes of work they're handing off isnt what I'm used to, I fucking love tough projects and especially the ones that keep me awake at night

Get paid good money to do low end work?

Sorry, buddy
I'm not a tier 1 or 2, I'm way above that and I shouldn't have to put up with simple projects at my experience level. ...

Are you a minority?

we can trade so you can have hard jobs and get paid shit for them

Work harder find another job

>Complain on Veeky Forums about not enough work

Thursday morning hits, hey user we have you getting started on this project and lets start setting time frame etc.... Just picked up some more work senpai

Where u work pham

Then quit. Either way, don't whine.