Riddle me fucking this Veeky Forums

Riddle me fucking this Veeky Forums

Why do Tesla-fags and eco-wanks get all hot and bothered by the idea of the electric car?

Why are we not talking more about hydrogen fuel cell cars? They're superior to electric cars in almost every way.

They're shills.

Because this year's Tesla buyer was a believer in the Prius before it and all the eco feel good save the planet marketing the brochure had, regardless of actual environmental impact. These cars make the buyer FEEL good and FEEL like they're making a difference and FEEL like their saving money, regardless of hard facts.

They're shills, or brainlet appleslaves.

electric cars are a meme.

hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. why the fuck aren't people paying attention to the potential of hydrogen fuel cell cars.

That's what I'm fucking saying.

>There's no battery bullshit
>There's no fucking around with recharging stations or limited range
>Because of that less eco damage than the Tesla fag
>It fucking refuels like a normal ass car
>The only exhaust is H2fuckingO

Toyota is working on it, i think Honda too, but Americans are still making bank of their power plants, removing them altogether would be 'bad'

EV shills control the media's mind and the jews fear the samurai.

Current electric cars are faster and recharging an electric car is easier and cheaper than refueling a hydrogen car.

Water vapour is still a greenhouse gas

While that's true, it's a positive feedback loop opposed to a negative one like fossil fuels.

Hydrogen leaches out of the container, has to be kept at a low temp, expensive and slow to produce.
Something something BIG BIG BOOM.

*gets rear ended

Did you do any research on hydrogen fuel cells?
See Quoting Wikipedia: "Hydrogen is industrially produced from [...] fossil fuels [...]. The energy content of the produced hydrogen is less than the energy content of the original fuel."
It's expensive to produce and shitty to keep. I work with hydrogen and helium from time to time and the particles are so small they leak through pretty much everything.

THIS
To produce hydrogen without using fossil fuels you have to do electrolysis of water. Dunno if you've ever tried it, but it requires a fuckton of electricity. I did the math on the Toyota Mirai (newest hydrogen car there is on the market). It's got 155 hp and will drive some 400 km on a single filling of hydrogen. A single filling of hydrogen on a Mirai is 5 kg of hydrogen. It will cost you 5 kWh to produce just a cubic meter of this gas with electrolysis and will cost you 56 kWh to make ONE kg. That means a Mirai will cost you 280 kWh of electricity for ONE filling (given that you don't wanna make it with fossil fuels).
Compare that to the 85 kWh Tesla Model S which will drive just as far with three times less energy consumed.

Hydrogen must be produced, distributed, stored, pumped before it's "combusted" (in the fuel cell), which creates electricity to drive the car. An electric car takes the electricity and uses it for propulsion directly. Its distribution network is already made (power lines) and its energy losses are at a minimum.

> tl;dr hydrogen propulsion both starts and ends with electricity. Why the detour through hydrogen?

electricity can be produced in a near infinite number of ways and is already present everywhere civilization exists. Hydrogen-shills seem to love the idea of having filling stations that control the means of propulsion.

>no battery bullshit

You sure about that, sweetie?

>tl;dr hydrogen propulsion both starts and ends with electricity. Why the detour through hydrogen?
nuclear option

How the fuck do you make money off of water when it's everywhere?

>hydrogen is the most common element in the universe.
Yeah, in THE SUN
It's not abundant in the atmosphere is it you fucking moron
Most hydrogen right now is produced from natural gas so it's not sustainable
You can also get it from water but that requires a ton of energy which makes it completely impractical

You're so fucking stupid it hurts

>Fuel cells are expensive (lots of platinum)
>They don't last very long
>Hydrogen needs to be stored at pressure
>Pressurised hydrogen is a literal bomb
>They degrade when you start and stop
>They can't handle temperature changes
>Hydrogen is crazy expensive to make (electrolysis takes a lot of power)
>Nowhere to refuel

Fuel cells are a meme that needs to die.

>hydrogen fuel cell cars

Big oils wet dream.

You get hydrogen from natural gas.

You need complete extraction, refining and distribution infrastructure as for gas.

Whole point of hydrogen is that money stays where it is, at oil companies and doesn't shift towards power distribution companies.

Hydrogen tech is so shitty that no amount of lobbying can fix it.

Start by asking the literal aisles of bottled water at supermarkets.

People talking about range concerns for electrics:

1. Telsa's superchargers can add 170 miles in 30 minutes
2. Their cars already do like 250 - 300 miles on a full charge which is far more than most people need for daily commuting and trips too
3. Battery swapping is possible, you can swap out a battery in less time than it takes to fill a car with petrol
4. Soon we'll have wireless charging making it even easier

Battery swapping is pretty risky, since batteries are fairly important structurally in modern cars.

Formula E chose to go with entire car swaps rather than trying to get battery swaps working safely.

If you have to go further than 300 miles just fly.

If you can't afford plane ticked take your 2nd car or rent one.

Gonna swap a small reactor in a Tesla, get on my level.
>tfw clean energy
>tfw slightly higher cancer risk
>tfw pissing of hippies

Near-future, hydrogen fuel cell cars are really the thing.
But what I wanted right now it's just diesel hybrid shitboxes. Long live long range.
Fuck electrics.

Reddit. You know how I know?

>we will Have

We will? Like you contributed anything or could afford it

Nuclear power is the only way desu

This post is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

nuclear energy is the future

screenshot this post

But that's chump change compared to the oil industry.

CH4 is also generated from landfills and during sludge digestion, so some amount of this is sustainable. I ran some quick numbers, if you used 10% of the CH4 generated annually in these processes (that's pretty difficult), it's enough to power 13.6 Million cars (assuming 12,000 mi/yr). Obviously you are still putting out CO2 during the industrial process, but EV also requires generating some CO2 at this point.

So I agree, it's not going to become a widespread technology for cars for some time. If we unable to find a way to make batteries for significantly more energy dense, then maybe H2 cars will be more viable as our energy grid includes more solar and wind power.

Why the fuck can you only lease this in California?

Because of the huge manatees.

>Why are we not talking more about hydrogen fuel cell cars?
Because they're shit

they're inefficient as all fuck and they cost way more energy to produce than it yields when burning it.

Its a waste of time and there isn't any going forward with this technology because you'll never make it worth it.

>1. Telsa's superchargers can add 170 miles in 30 minutes
my civic adds 450 miles in 2 minutes

Because we don't want the members of the religion of peace to have easy access to significant quantities of H2