QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

A place to ask all your short automotive related questions.

>ProTip - A simple Google search may actually answer your question.

Also go through the thread and look for questions to which you could answer to.

Previous Thread Hit Rev Limiter - → →

Other urls found in this thread:

ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/how-self-driving-cars-work#.WboIr9FLfcc
youtu.be/AligG3Qyf7w
youtu.be/Wtnvpgdfq9c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do self driving cars work?

ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/how-self-driving-cars-work#.WboIr9FLfcc

>which gasket?
Unsure which one
>do you have access to a brick and mortar
No, why?
>you or someone qualified have examined the exhaust system yes?
Yes.

How much does a good paint job cost?

$7-9k

What's the process for buying an older used car from those small local dealerships? I've never bought from one of those places, I'm not good with a wrench so I'd want to have a 3rd party mechanic check it out, and it's priced a little higher than I think it's worth. How do I go about getting it checked out and talking the price down while also avoiding all the cheap dealership tricks?

Just go on Craigslist. That's where they get half their lot from and they mark up the price by double or even more

Reposting from last thread.

Civic Hatchback Sport or Mazda 3 hatch for my next car? Either will have a manual and the Mazda would be the 2.5.

I like the 1.5 turbo in the Civic for fuel efficiency and low-end torque but prefer the infotainment system in the Mazda and think it's a little more comfy. It's a close thing but I think I preferred the ride on the Mazda, too.

The Mazda comes with a lot of features like the torque vectoring and automatic emergency braking that I'm concerned with holding up long term, though. Similarly, I've never owned a turbo car and am a little concerned with the 1.5l in the Civic being a bit of an unproved engine.

You're buying brand new? If so, then neither

Why do you say that?

If you think you'll want to do performance modifications for the car then don't get a Mazda 3. Mazda sucked as much power as they could out of the engine so you won't be getting much of anything until a year or so when turbo kits are released.

If you don't care about getting more torque or hp then the Mazda 3 is a really nice car. As a daily driver it's comfy and it handles well when you're doing a little spirited driving if you put a little bit of money into it(rsb, tires, etc). I've never driven a Civic but I've spent a lot of money on my Mazda 3 and know the ins and outs of it so ask away if you have any questions.

Yeah I won't be modding too much. I just want something fun for a DD. I know I like both cars, I'm just concerned about some things with both.

How has the 3 held up for you? Is it pretty reliable? Is there anything that's known to fail on them?

Is the 718 Cayman/Boxster the best car under 100k? I mean at first I was really bothered by it losing 2 cylinders but now that I know it actually makes more power and torque with that 4boxer than the 6 it had, I kind of want it. And this is coming from a person who pretty much was about to get a Corvette GrandSport. The Grandsport is really too flashy and I simply chose to ignore the Cayman because it became a 4cyl. Now I kind of like it and I'm considering to spec one. Thinking it a bit more, I'll get less looks from a 718 than a GS so I think I'm a lot more leaned towards the 718.

What do you think? 718 or GS for daily? I currently daily drive a 2015 Lexus GS350 FS as my daily and earns 120k a year and lives a minimalist life.

Would going from a Y pipe single exhaust to just two pipes from the cats back with a cherry bombs sound like this or no?
youtu.be/AligG3Qyf7w
It's for a 2001 3.8l mustang
>inb4 get a V8
Sorry boyo insurance is a cunt and doesnt like fun also I have personal reasons as to why I have a V6 over a V8

Also I know that it's kind of a no-go because who'd actually buy a 4cyl for nearly 80k but look at the power it makes. Isn't that what matters? An it gives around 3 mpg more from the old model.

If you earn 120k a year why are you asking us? You obviously have your shit together. Why do you need to be spoonfed?

I've had my '14 M3 for a little over a year now and nothing has fallen apart. I replaced my tires as soon as I bought the car as well as most of the suspension system. Since then I've replaced my brakes because of wear(I DD this car and take it to the track) but aside from that the car is a ton of fun.

As far as "parts known to fail": nothing comes to mind aside from things every car will need replaced, i.e. tires and battery etc.

BritBong here

I'm on holiday (vacation) in Florida, USA (Land of the Free) next month.
I'm renting a car, is there any driving rules I need to I need to read up on?

make sure you use the right side of the road

Thanks m8. I'm really leaning towards the Mazda 3. Something about it has just taken me.

I've heard certain AWD cars like the skyline have a relay that you can yank out and functionally become RWD
People even build switches that can achieve this on the go, effectively a RS drift mode
is there any other awd cars that can to the same?

youtu.be/Wtnvpgdfq9c

Is this doable in a fourth Gen fbody? I have one that I wouldn't mind cutting up if this is able to be done.

Is it legal to replace my seats with this in the US?

Is it legal to replace my seats with Go Kart seats?

With my back seats completely removed, could I legally dive passengers who are sitting on pillows?

Kinda gotta pull the front driveshafts, but more or less. No idea about other cars.

Does pic related make any noticeable differences and are they worth it?

What if I pour all three of these in my tank at one time?

iirc there's a linkage or something similar on AWD civics that can be removed to make them RWD

I've got 10 grand. What Lexus should I buy? I care mostly about speed and looks. I also don't mind doing any engine work as I will have to swap the automatic transmission out anyways. Preferably pre-2005 because I want as little infotainment and computer based shit as possible.

What do people mean when they say they "track" a car? Does it mean they race it?

Usually a timed run around a track or course.

Neat. Can anyone do it?

yep. in any car

Gotta schedule a time and pay some fees but aside from that, yea. You'll need a car, not a truck or SUV, and a helmet.

718, if you want to be less seen because I guess that's what you want. CGS if you want to be sterotyped as a mid-life crisis man(if you are over 40s), wake up your pissy neighbours off and shitty Corvette loving faggots waving and asking questions about your car when they could actually google those. You already have it figured out, which is the 718. Good luck m8.

By the way, I actually don't mind giving 70k+ for a sensible car even though what engine it possess.

drag races too

What is needed to be done, to achieve more juicy exhaust sound? Not fartcan, not scream-like, not extremely loud, but just to have that bassy note. 1.6 4cylinder N/A engine.

Most of the time either muffler delete or a new, lumpier camshaft. Most likely the camshaft.

Wait till your exhaust starts rusting through making a few holes.
Or take a a leaf out of Mr. Baillie's book.

>Bailly tip

Getting rid of the catalytic converter on a standard exhaust system will make a difference

Hi, I'm OP here. I just have a few things to say.

>Also go through the thread and look for questions to which you could answer to.
Is this sentence grammatically correct? If not, please reply with a sentence which you think is grammatically correct.

Also, I'm not trying to take over the QTDDTOT business but I'm trying to make the appearance of the threads more clean and nice because I have seen many QTDDTOT threads just start of like below and make a whole lot of mess.
>Hi, why is my transmission not working? Should I do the fixing alone or leave it to the mechanics. And yeah, QTDDTOT
Which seems very lazy of the poster.

Also, you can totally give me suggestions on what to add or correct in the OP. Like any references to auto-help websites, choose a picture for the thread, etc.

Have a good day, people.

Is there a site that review cars or like a wikipedia?

www.netcarshow.com or www.caricos.com

Where would one look if one wanted to participate in these activities?

Google tracks near your area and they'll have a website that tells you what groups you can join to go to their track days. The nearest track to me is almost a two hour drive.

What should I do to cheer myself up after getting a speeding ticket?

Strip club.

Speed some more.

Got a rwd with an auto
>accelerating from a stop
>give it some gas
>rpms increase but car barely moves
>car jerks after it gets to about 10mph and rpms decrease (shift?)
>rpms increase and car accelerates somewhat normally
What's going on here? I'd say my transmission is fucked but it only does this from a stop. I've got a bad u joint, could that be causing this?

This is an auto question but also a financial and mindset sort of question.

What would you guys choose from a loaded B5.5 Passat and basic B6 Passat?
For the money required for a base, 2006 B6 Passat with the 1.6 petrol engine 102 bhp I can get a Highline B5.5 Passat from 2004 with the 2.0 petrol 130 bhp engine, and the Passat B5.5 would still be 500-1000 euros cheaper.

Thing is I really want a stealth wealth car and the Phaeton is too much for me at this moment and the Passat is a fairly anonymous car.

Bonus points for the Passat being hugely popular in Eastern Europe so you can find just about any part or trim you want, either new or second hand, so you can easily rack up on options that can be added after.

Pic related : This is what the fully loaded Passat B5.5 interior looks like.

So, fully loaded B5.5 Passat or basic B6 Passat ?

What's a good starting point for learning about cars and car maintenance in general?

Buy a car and work on it. You can read books, watch videos or whatever but the best way is getting hands on experience

My steering wheel is turned about 5-10 degrees to the right and my car is turning to the right as well. What could be causing this?

bump pls

How do i fix this? It's crooked and stuck. Tried hitting it with a hammer...

Straighten the wheel?
But seriously your alignment is fucked

Thread's probably fucked, get a new one.

I have a set of vintage fog lights I'm putting on an old Tacoma of mine. Only thing is they don't have lenses. What's a good, melt proof, plastic material that I can cut into homemade lenses?

I have PO171 and PO343 codes, and also what I believe to be a coolant leak.
How difficult would any of these be for me to do myself, assuming I haven't really done any work on my car that was particularly difficult before

considering what kind of car I want and I've been considering a camaro, problem is my mom owns one. is it weird to drive same car as mom?

Anyone know what car this is? Thought it was the new miata from a glance, but I have no idea what it is.

What is this shit (firewall cover?) and why can't I find a single guide on the internet on removing it so I can access my master cylinder.

This is not a bad u joint. A car at my work ('14 impala) has this exact problem. Its transmission shit, beyond the scope of most amateur mechanics.

fiat 124

Oh dang, never heard of it. Thanks for the help ol chap.

I'm thinking of buying a Mercedes C230 from 2006.

Is that model known for any problems that I should look out for?

>yfw you realize the clips are visible in this pic
they're the round things, git gud dodgefag

What is this called? I obviously need to replace it.

"chassis ground wire" doesn't really give many results

ground wire

it's fine just leave it

Is it worth it to buy a 500$ bmw that has an overheating engine problem if I'm planing to do an engine swap anyways. I have no experience actually working on cars and I already have a DD.

Probably lots of other stuff wrong with it too, so put aside another $5-7K for all of that shit.

I have an 01 Durango with the 4.7, it was running fine until recently when it started running rough as fuck (the whole vehicle shakes) and stalling when letting off the gas. I'm not super good at diagnosing issues, any ideas?

throttle bottle or MAF sensor might be fukt - is it throwing any dash lights or codes? do you have a scanner/reader?

could be a fuel pump issue, oxygen sensor problem, etc.

Ah thanks, any idea where I should start looking to gain more knowledge about the things I'll need to do and the steps necessary before I decide buy it?

>No car experience
>I wanna do an engine swap.

You'll never finish it. Save your money for something that actually runs, and learn on it firs.

Depends on the state. Has to still have a restraint system, aka a seat belt.

>Is it legal to replace my seats with Go Kart seats?

That would be very un'wise'

>With my back seats completely removed, could I legally dive passengers who are sitting on pillows?

No.

Buy a Haynes manual, and start cruising some vehicle-specific forums. Usually they're a hotbed of faggotry but there's always some technical experts hiding among them.

Googling "[car make and year] common problems" usually works too. Try using it with other stuff like "transmission problem" and "electrical problem". Usually those will link to threads in forums where they're discussing common issues.

Not throwing any lights, I don't have a sensor personally nor do I know anyone with one

well it is a 16 year old Chrysler product - it may be a special way of asking you to kill it, and end its suffering.

i suggest parking it on the train tracks at night.

Are old Mercedes S class cars worth getting cheap? or are they bound to be a headache?

I'm looking at a 2000 S430 and it looks real nice for the price.

From back when Daimler owned Chrysler so a double whammy

First time Veeky Forums poster. The passenger seat airbag has gone off in my Ford focus '04. I don't want to replace the seat. Is there a way I can fix up the wiring so it thinks the airbag isn't deployed?

So I hit a guys side view mirror and he has to get the entire assembly replaced. His mechanic is quoting him like 650 USD for it installed. I'm gonna see the actual quote tomorrow, it's some kind of GMC truck not sure specifically what at the moment. But does that seem ridiculously overpriced? I'm assuming he's getting a oem part but that still seems really fucking overpriced.
Thought I'd see what you guys think.

I think I got caught doing 60 in a 45 (I'm only scared cuz I live in VA and they'd actually ticket you for this) by something that looked like a speeding camera but I have no idea. How long until I can stop holding my breath every time I bring in the mail and I'm sure they won't ticket me?

The scissor jack for my car broke, and I don't particularly care for carrying my floor jack around with me.
Replacing the jack with an identical one seems expensive, but it would still fit in the trunk kit. Should I go for it or just get a bottle jack?

Why not call a junk yard or two and see if they can hook you up with an exact replacement?

When mine shit the bed I figured I'd rather have a beefier one anyway so I just got something off amazon. It wound up being a little to big to fit in the same compartment, but there was room to stick it inside the donut spare so just moved the straps I usually kept in the spare to the jack compartment.

I haven't looked in to airbag tech in many a year. IIRC on my old car it was as simple as sticking a resistor in the plug. You'd probably be better using a search engine for your particular model and/or a brand-specific car forum.

That does seem expensive, but when I broke my side view mirror and tried to source an OEM replacement I was surprised that the only option was to order some whole ridiculous assembly that cost way more than I was up for paying. And I would have had to take apart way more of the door than I wanted to bother with.

$650 seems like an awful lot, but if it's motorized / electric defogging / has a turn light, and then the mechanic is going to have to take half the door apart to replace everything then that could be legit.

>he doesn't know you can get them from any junkyard
some separate them from the cars and you buy up front
some are just left in the cars
>mfw every PNP I've been to is littered with tire irons and spare tire jacks

This, keep in mind they're maybe no way to defeat it at all, aside from pulling the dash warning light.

I was surprised that the only option was to order some whole ridiculous assembly

American and Jap parts suppliers are like this for some godforsaken reason.

Say what you will about the Germans but at least you can order that odd ball piece of plastic knob on the console without having to order the whole fucking console.

so at some point in the near future, im going to get around 30-40k as a reenlistment bonus, and i want a new car.

was originally thinking e46/9x m3 or a much cheaper car i can throw parts into (i.e na miata, s2000, rx7, etc).

to that end:
ap1 or ap2 for s2k?
is an evo worth it? theyre all 25-30k.

thanks

One time I lost some silly mounting bar for my glovebox.
>well maybe I should get myself a new bar for christmas so I can have a glove box
>GLOVE BOX ASSY $350
oooook then
fuck glove boxes they're stupid anyway!

>That would be very un'wise'
Would that be unwise because it would be uncomfortable, or would it be unwise because it would be illegal?

>drive my 2006 cts-v to visit my parents
>cruising on the highway at 75mph, little traffic
>guy in a wrx/sti (couldn't tell, dark) goes past me about 85mph
>think to myself "hey, let's have some fun"
>we get out of a pocket of traffic, some open road before another pocket of traffic
>go from 6th to 5th
>punch it
>get up to 130 mph no problem, never gone this fast before
>only got the car 4 months ago, good god I didn't expect speed this easy
>go back to 75mph, no party lights thankfully
>subaru catches up
>passes me, rolls down his window, gives me the finger and speeds off

Why was he mad? I didn't cut him off or anything, we were in different lanes the whole time

He might be tired of people racing him. I got a BRZ a while back. It's not really a fast car but it looks neat. I've never had people pretend race me before, and I usually wonder if they thought I was racing them or didn't like the way I was driving or what they thought they were out to prove.

>P0171
System too lean cylinder bank 1
Can be difficult to track the problem and repair

>P0343
Camshaft position sensor
Not too sure about this one, sounds easy on paper but anything that sounds easy usually isn't

Varies by engine, but I've seen cam and crank sensor codes get thrown from barely noticeable misfire. Taking care of bank 1 being too lean could potentially eliminate the cam code.

Keydance nigga

>Insert key into ignition
>Rotate to ON position (not START)
>Repeat rapidly 3 times
>3rd time leave key in ON position
>Should display codes on odometer after a few seconds

what effect did you use on the text to get it glowy?

>You'll never finish it. Save your money for something that actually runs, and learn on it firs.
You can learn how to do an engine swap without practicing engine swaps?