FLYING GODDAMN CARS

So flying cars may be a very real possibility in the next 20 years, but they'll really be just cessna sized electric drones (pic related).

How would Veeky Forums design a flying car (with technology that already exists)?

Other urls found in this thread:

lilium.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ohig71bwRUE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. make a car
2. make it fly
3. ???
4. profit

>Flying cars

No way, nigger, I'm not letting slanty-fuck no-license immigrants play with a 3rd axis of mobility.

They will be insanely expensive and exclusively for rich people.
they will be small helicopters not cars anyway.
what you posted is that is for sure.

>implying they won't be self flying

sorry, this is a pipe dream. A pilots license takes hours and hours to get and costs a load of money -- for good reason, too. There's a bucket load of added complexity when it comes to air craft.

again, they will fly themselves.
planes have been flying themselves for decades what makes you think these would be any different?
auto pilot in a modern air liner can take off, fly to a destination and land by itself.

>Implying street rats will be able to afford them

takeoff, taxi, and landing are all done manually. also, the pilots ensure that everything is operating as intended and can (and will) take manual control to make course corrections as per instructions from a radio tower

The only reason it is done manually is because it makes people feel safer, it can be done by the computer and the computer never fucks it up.
notice how 99.9% of plane crashes are pilot error not computer error if we exclude mechanical failure?

which lets be honest, mechanical failure is the main reason flying cars won't happen not because of chads being morons in them.
car breaks down and it stops, aircraft breaks down and ya die.

Something like pic related will be insanely easy to build. Essential a glider fuselage with 4 electric dusted fans that tilt forward.

that wouldn't work lol

thing needs wings to generate lift, with engines like that, they generate only thrust

Many years of building stupid shit on KSP tells me that won't work, it needs a lifting body then it would work.

>$2 million flying buttplug

It would work, just not as pictured for more than 20 seconds. It would just never have the engines pointing horizontal with fuselage, constantly at an angle of 45 degrees or so, depending on airspeed/thrust.
You can point thrust in different directions, you know, like a VTOL aircraft. They're just extending this to 'flying'.
It will work, but as with KSP, you'll be using a fuckload of energy/fuel in keeping it aloft without generated lift.

Worryingly poor display of aero knowledge up in here.

Zee Germans are busy working on it.

The Lilium Jet – The world's first all-electric VTOL jet
-300 km range
-300+ km/h
-5 seats
-foolproof
-safety

>“You can’t hear it when it’s flying, you don’t need to build any infrastructure that cuts through nature, and it doesn’t create any emissions [fine dust or CO2],” says Wiegand, claiming that the Lilium jet can potentially become the means of transportation that creates the smallest impact on the environment possible.
>On the topic of Lilium’s Munich-based HQ, Wiegand says the jet’s ‘made in Germany’ engineering has been “a very good friend that is well-known,” not least in the eyes of investors.

Lilium has just raised $90 million in Series B funding. A year ago it raised $10 million in backing, bringing its total capital investment to a cool $100 million. Pretty good going for a company that was only officially founded in 2015. Lilium is now a thriving start up driven by the passion to revolutionize personal transportation. Financially secure thanks to reputable investors and supported by the European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA.

lilium.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=ohig71bwRUE

What happened to that one with the folding wings?

>notice how 99.9% of plane crashes are pilot error not computer error if we exclude mechanical failure?

That's because Boeing and Airbus has their hands deep in the investigator's pocket, so they rarely give fault to the equipment and just say it was the pilot's fault (because it's easier). There are tons of class actions that tries to challenge this current illegal and corrupt system.

I would prefer my flying car have better range than my car at 1/3 of the tank. I would also prefer the ability to manually control it. I know that's not safe for most normies who cannot ever be trusted with a plane, but I just see no freedom or ownership in a vehicle that I can only enter the destination in in advance. This thing is an express taxi for cities that are already crowded past the ability to happily inhabit.

>Can't move laterally
>And attempt to turn mid air will result in your death because you can't roll the damn thing
Insanely easy to build, insanely easy to die in

The difference betwee fantasy and real life lies in pic related.

It never was a problem of control, power or cost. It's a problem of weight and size, because for a given weight you need a certain area to be able to lift off. Use less area, and the amount of power you need climbs through the roof, not to mention the noise.

>How would Veeky Forums design a flying car (with technology that already exists)?

>How would Veeky Forums design a flying car (with technology that already exists)?

Given that most people can't even handle two dimensions without crashing, I would refuse.

>again, they will fly themselves.
I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING
I'M TURNING THIS THING TO MANUAL
IT WON'T LET ME? I'LL FUCK WITH THE WIRING UNTIL IT DOES!
I'M NOT DRUNK I'M FINE TO DRIVE THIS SMALL AIRCRAFT MANUALLY EVEN IF THE COMPUTER DOESN'T WANT TO LET ME
*crunch*

>>You can point thrust in different directions, you know, like a VTOL aircraft. They're just extending this to 'flying'.
Vehicle that do a VTOL have wings on them that produce lift... that thing in your picture has nothing to produce lift when the motors are angled like that, and it would drop altitude like a rock.

Its fucking stupid
now:
>something stop working
>pull over
flying car
>something stop working
>??????

Then the solution would be to place the fan nacelles on the tips of short wings, like the old Wankel-powered Moller Skycar.

After all the engineering work, he only managed to make a couple of brief hover tests with the aircraft tethered to a crane for insurance reasons. The design was allegedly supposed to cruise at 300mph at 25,000 feet

>what are airframe parachutes

If I remember, a bunch of Chinese bought the company and are trying to restart development.

Not too sure about parachutes. You can land in/on anything to begin with and I can't imagine a parachute working for a fast moving object at decently low altitude as it makes no sense to go stupid high for short courses.