/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Ancestor edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Igneous_intrusive_layer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Modanon here, posting what i said in last thread since i didnt really get any kind of response.

Holy kek.

I know this is old news by now, but still. Remember a few months ago when someone hijacked the OP to include a discord link? Supposedly, this is what the Toad has to say about that discord channel.

>mfw I somehow managed to assign ALL my items for trade and haven't noticed until like five minutes later

>mfw i watch all the other races combine forces to purge elves completely from the world

Does anyone know if the invasion chances by beasts or gobbos is higher on smaller worlds or on larger worlds?

My argument is in larger worlds there are far more goblin civilizations and all types of beasties, so the invasion chance would logically be a bit bigger?

>got adamantine before iron or steel
h-hehe

Seems pretty legible to me.

I'm not the user you're replying to, but our monitors must be radically differently calibrated.

xD well said my fellow urist
fuck elves, I kill them with !!SCIENCE!!

so, i embarked in a zone with just garnierite, how fucked i am?

not very fucked lol

really?, i mean a cant make weapons of it, or can i?

Educate urself
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Igneous_intrusive_layer

This is unlikely the only layer in your embark though so its likely you have ore and stone not included in that layer.

you can make pretty, vibrant, spring-like, green furniture and constructions for your elven long-term residents to live in

What am I doing wrong?
I am pumping water on lvl Z1 and water doesn't flood the floor. But after lvl Z2 it started flooding. Why?

Im the user who requested cookies

sorry for not replying last thread, probably missed your post
can you expand on the multiphase boss monster?
Also, Im also the guy who's been modding cocaine in-game
Im having lot's of problems, mainly because Im new at this, would be cool if you could give me some advice

Im not too sure, but on Z1 you are pumping from the south to the north.

Damn, I got it. Sorry for asking.

I have never embarked with a neighboring tower. Can I expect more undead then normal with 3 towers as neighbors?

Trying a new bridge for wall defenses and accidentally crushed a child putting it down, this will cause trouble right?

make a slab

Actually, yes.

Unlike all other neighbours, the number of entities actually matters here.

For civilisations, the number doesn't matter: the game will just pick one of them and then that one will be the only one you encounter in that fort.

For towers however, you'll actually encounter each one you neighbour. All of them will lay siege on you. Expect it to be intense.

Nice, hopefully you have some weapons grade metal in your embark, you'll be needing it. Also take care, I think it's possible for you to be invaded by more than one necromancer at a time, although I don't know if they'll team up with each other or try fight. Either way, expect fun.

I'd park near necromancer towers more if they didn't attack early game.
I just don't see how you can get properly equipped to take down an undead horde until mid game.

Oh okay, Seems like i got myself a coated Artifact.
If i try to enter adventurer mode i'll be able to grab this baby right?

I don't understand your problem.

all you have to do is build a tavern, and mercs from all over the world will swarm around your fort and practically beg to be allowed to defend it.

The multiphase boss monster is a megabeast that changes its form (along with attacks, weaknesses etc) when damaged enough. I havent decided yet what exactly IT is but i have few ideas if i cant find any good suggestions ITT.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Could you post your raws so i can take a look at them?

yeah, but I can't guarantee that the coating will remain when you retire the fort.

>tfw 20 out of 90 dwarves died to the beast's deadly dust including all soldiers and then migrants arrived just after. All the brave dwarves that dared face that damn abomination are now dead.

>be noob
>Autumn has come
>only have four stone mugs to sell
>don't even know how to put them up for sale
is my fortress screwed?

I almost never trade for anything at all and when I do trade it's generally not until the third trade season or so.
So no, I wouldn't say you're screwed because of that, but maybe due to not knowing what you're doing.

cheesemode: build a couple spiked balls at your carpenter's shop
normalmode: you don't really need to trade to survive unless you've embarked somewhere really weird

cocaine_powder_template

[OBJECT:MATERIAL_TEMPLATE]

[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:COCAINE_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:cocaine high]
[SYN_IDENTIFIER:COCA_HIGH]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[SYN_INHALED]
[SYN_INJECTED]]
[SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
[SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:100:1000]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:5:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:0:END:110:DWF_STRETCH:4] for ataxia
[CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS:SEV:23:PROB:10:START::PEAK:480:END:1200:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_BLEEDING:BP:BY_CATEGORY:NOSE:SEV:30:PROB:30:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:45:PROB:20:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500]
[CE_NUMBNESS:BP:BY_CATGORY:ALL:SEV:60:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:110:END:230:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:35:PROB:30:START:0:PEAK:230:END:550:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS:SEV:50:PROB:5:START:230:1000:END:1500:DWF_STRETCH:4]

[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL:-60:FACET:PRIVACY:-60:FACET:BRAVERY:70:FACET:CONFIDENCE:50:FACET:POLITENESS:-15:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:40:ANGER_PROPENSITY:30:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:-30:VIOLENT:30:PERSEVERENCE:50:WASTEFULNESS:35:AMBITION:45:HUMOR:40:PRIDE:50:VENGEFUL:50:SINGLEMINDED:40:CURIOUS:20:PERFECTIONIST:35:EMOTIONALLY_OBSESSIVE:40:SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS:45:IMMODERATION:25:GREGARIOUSNESS:-30:ASSERTIVENESS:55:ABSTRACT_INCLINED:15:ORDERLINESS:-30:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:EUPHORIA:SEV:125:PROB:100:START:00:PEAK:0:END:1500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR:SEV:70:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:00:PEAK:0:END:1500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:130:500:AGILITY:130:850:TOUGHNESS:130:600:ENDURANCE:200:300:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500]
[CE_MENT_ATT_CHANGE:FOCUS:165:500:WILLPOWER:160:825:PATIENCE:80:-450:MEMORY:125:230:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:110:500:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:130:200:SPATIAL_SENSE:140:500:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:120:500:ANALITIC_ABILITY:170:750:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500]
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:133:PROB:100:START:0:PEAK:0:END:1500]

[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cocaine powder]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cocaine powder]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:WHITE]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:liquid cocaine]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:liquid cocaine]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:none]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:none]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:none]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:800]
[IGNITE_POINT:10400]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10500]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:600]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[SHEAR_YIELD:10000] no data
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:10000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]
[MAX_EDGE:0]
[ABSORPTION:100]
[POWDER_MISC_PLANT]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]

this is before the syndrome tag. I couldn't post everething at the same time

These are the raws for the normal quality cocaine. There are ten different kinds of cocaine based on quality, I intend for all of them to have different value and descriptions, as well as slightly different effects.
I know these are just templates, and I dont know how to link them to actual objects in a reaction in a building
I also dont know why my modded building doesnt show up
building raws coming next

I have each thing in a different .txt

[OBJECT:BUILDING]

[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:CHEM_LAB]
[NAME:Makeshift Chemist's Laboratory]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:4:3]
[WORK_LOCATION:3:3]
[BUILD_LABOR:ALCHEMIST]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_Y]
[BLOCK:1:0:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:1:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:3:1:1:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:' ':' ':150:' ']
[TILE:0:2:' ':' ':'/':' ']
[TILE:0:3:'-':' ':' ':' ']
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:' ':' ':'=':' ']
[TILE:1:2:'-':' ':8:' ']
[TILE:1:3:' ':' ':150:' ']
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:'-':' ':8:' ']
[TILE:2:2:' ':' ':8:' ']
[TILE:2:3:' ':150:' ':' ']
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:' ':' ':' ':' ']
[TILE:3:2:035:035:' ':' ']
[TILE:3:3:035:035:' ':' ']
[COLOR:3:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:3:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:3:3:0:0:0:7:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
I dont know what I am doing at all, and I apologize to any deeply offended modder that is reading this
No raws are handcrafted, I copy-pasted this from the soap maker workshop and changed stuff
Yes, the building is allowed on the dwarven entity file, but it doesnt even show up in fort mode

>mfw rimworld general has "Dwarf Fortress" and /dfg/ in their OP so I keep getting re-directed there instead of here.
anyway

How come Capnduck is such a pleb these days? He used to be a good DF LPer but now he's a massive pussy. He plays so anti-fun it hurts and he makes literally the same fort every damn time.

>turns off werewolves in world gen cuz "they're too hard"
>abandons any fort that undead show up to
>hasn't embarked in a haunted/terrifying biome since Snarlingurn many years ago now (he refuses to embark in FUN areas nowadays)
>only ever embarks to green grassy areas (no ocean forts, desert forts, glacier forts)
>every single one of his videos now starts with a 5min "here's my patreon guys plz donate" segment
>has engravings turned on so his 1-room box forts look like a clusterfuck

Any other DF LP recommendations? Capnduck's basically a sleep aid at this point. Looking for someone that has FUN, like "embarking on a scorching terrifying desert where body parts melt off and start attacking things"-fun.

>wanting discord/steam group circlejerks
/dfg/'s better than this. just post about dwarves, it's not hard.

read the wiki, it walks you through how to trade. if you still need help watch any LP and watch what they do when the caravan arrives.

I Hear you, wish i had something to make the work day on the fields up on the surface bearable.

Tired of the sun and looking on the great open sky? well i got the right stuff for you right here.
This is the new and well crafted Dog leather cowboy hat reinforced with cat bones to strengthen the structure of it.
it will keep the sun off you and make you look like a real hunk to those well groomed lady's at the tavern.

It comes with a double stitched brim and will probably outlast you. not to mention its been treated with out newest textile wax made from a mixture of elf tears and goblin fat for water proofing and longevity,
It also got this really cool skull emblem on it

buy now and receive one our famous Skull cups at the first purchase.

>Due to the Dwarfen becoming highly aggressive of the smell of goblin and elfs its not advised to go to the tavern wearing this article

Marcus Aurelius & Kruggsmash

Marc is a really good DF player who has a pretty good series right now which spans around three forts in the same world.

Kruggsmash is a long time df player who keeps his game natural and doesn't use any extra bits like the rapist or df hack. He also does art and has fun with all of his things. Also masterly edited everything.

Why does one of my ghosts have an unhealthy obsession with removing my dwarves' right buttocks?

I'll probably be called a casual for this, but are there any dworf mods that add a usable interface?

After having played rimworld I just can't deny anymore that actual graphics add a lot to immersion

Why don't you have to make toilets?

I mean this is the game where dwarves comit from lack of sunlight, where they will inevitably level up their crutch walking skill when they get maimed, where they can get diseases that melt of their skin in clumps. Why are toilets not in the game? There's literally no reason to not have toilets where your dwarves either need to bucket dump the shit to the refuse pile or you need to build a cistern for your shit.

I want to build a trap door and throw goblins into a pool of shit so they drown.

Is starting with a group of miners and a year's worth of supplies, tunneling out a massive fortress, then abandoning and resettling with a more normal group a good idea?

@178807913
@178807989
@178808009
@178808184

>this desperate to bait

Well, we need to answer one very important question then - should poop have quality levels?

Haven't seen this episode in a while.

>select all images with bridges
Captcha is mocking me.

toady is adverse to df being defined as "the one game with shit in it"
but honestly that was a fair amount of time ago and i think dwarf fortress is well known enough at this point for that to not be a problem

>Members of my elite army use tigers, a cheetah, a lion and a rhino
Badmouth the elves all you want but these guys bring some great exotic animals

And Then I Shat In The Ore Minecart is an example of The Devious Shit. The work has no particular subject. Overall, this shit is amateurish at best.
The Devious Shit is a form of shitting used for entertainment originating in The Berry of Dangling. The rules of the form are applied by shitters to produce individual excretions which can be shat. The shit comes from the rectum. The entire business is very fast. It is completed without a preference for privacy and in the irritating pattern.

Why do bridges have a maximum length?

Seems like an arbitrary limit to be honest.

I started a fort on a lake with a river leading in and out, on the southern end of the lake it narrowed into a U shape, with the bottom of the U leading to the only stone cliffs in the area. I wanted to make my fort entrance on that cliff with a bridge going in a T shape connecting to both shores of the lake, but I had to make like 14 different bridges because you can only make them 10 tiles long.

unless you really need to retract them for some reason, just use floors

I wanted to have the whole thing retract.

The top part of the T would retract into their opposite shores and the bottom would retract into the fort entrance.

Basically I wanted to lure the entire army onto the big ass bridge then dump them all in the water for the fish to eat.

But I couldn't do that.

A /dfg/ discord seems like a neat idea but then again im not all that familiar with Veeky Forums discord channels so i have no experience with the shenanigans that would ensue.

Why not start with 7 miners, tunnel out a massive fortress, and then... keep playing?

Because bridges are all drawbridges in dwarf fortress. Longer bridges should probably be made from constructions, with a drawbridge in the middle if you want to control access.

Because I never have enough supplies left over by the time winter hits, and then all my dwarves freeze, get dehydrated and die.

don't

It would turn into another meme spouting brainless cicrlejerk i guess

worse case it goes ball deep into drama

its bad and this general is good enough, whoever pushing the discord is some guy who just wanna get his ego jerked

Why are jewelers important to a dorf society?

You could install a tileset if you like looking at pretty things while you play. I recommend installing Phoebus or Ironhand (cant remember which is good)

gonna second Kruggsmash. Edits out all the boring parts

Some folks like DasTactic. I find his videos to be too slow and boring, can barely finish one without falling asleep

Fair enough, although i dont see how such a high quality general could have a shitty discord.

Embark in a warm biome or one with an aquifer.

Maximum swag, of course.

Are these all of the raws of your cocaine mod?
I'll try fixing your problem once im done with your cookie people if you havent managed to solve it yourself in that time.

Holy shit, what tileset?

But muh mountainside fortress

I found a start where I can easily lock the fortress down with a single bridge and give the dwarfs access to natural sunlight so the don't get cave sickness, I'm not giving it up.

Just imagine a gigantic fucking stained glass window, but made with gems laid on the glass instead

Enjoy.

>install Masterwork
>runs perfectly
>don't see why everyone hates it

Neat.

its bloated shit

aaaaaand I lost in a crash. He didn't discover it again, he's discussing anatomical studies instead.

intersects with dwarven value on mining and craftsmanship

>Guy who makes it steaks mods and claims them as his own
>Acts like a cunt cuz he's a spoiled rich brat in El
>Begs for donations for his hard "work"
>Adds heaps of bloat that doesn't fit the feel of DF
>Claims that it runs better than DF when it crashes constantly
>Removed leather cloth etc types

If you want a harder DF just install fear the night, fortress defense or DF chocolate instead. If you want better frame rate just install modestmod. Masterwork is where burned out DF players go to die.

Kobold camp and orc fort are pretty cool though but you can get them as stand alone mods iirc

>Steaks
Meant to write steals

>ask user where to embark
>says to do it near that big purple I for candy caravans
>don't spoil myself and embark as close to it as the game allowed
>nothing happening yet
>peek at wiki out of sheer curiosity
>mfw I just embarked in a necromancer's backyard
how the FUCK do I throw a competent squad together /dfg/?

Are tower sieges fun? I wanna embark on a volcano but there's a tower right next to it and I don't wanna bother if it's just gonna be wiped out within my first spring.

begin by pausing the game,
building a lot of farms inside, plump helms only.
now, make sure you have a competent stonecarver, and a good wood stock.
wall yourself in, no doors to outside, completely walled in.

Now rev up those slab engravers cause youre going to lose ALOT of migrants

So are your dwarves running around naked?

So gobbos are in the habit of beating the shit out of each other for the slightest thing.

Furthermore, it seems the influences of not eating and drinking good sstuff are by far the biggest deals when it comes to happines

Since I am of course an official representative of the Demon Lord of the Fiend of Hooves, i shall allow and observe this behaviour

Could DF run better/faster if it wasn't coded in c++?

>mfw I was the user who enticed you with candy
I regret nothing.

No

How do you spice up the game when it's pretty self sufficient and not much to do?

Am I just too nub and missing more things to build?

Outfitting military/combat is the spice of the game for me

>fear the night, DF Chocolate
Do these even exist in the latest version? DF vanilla but more threatening and rebalanced (and without the horrible framerate drops in goblinlands) sounds great

have 90 dwarfs, 10 kids

10 melee dwarfs and 5 marksdwarves. All have full copper gear. Is Iron really deep or hard to get. Should I have more military?

>copper
Do you not have any tin? Bronze is a BIG upgrade from pure copper. Iron can be traded for, gotten from melted goblin armor, or POSSIBLY found.

possibly, what do you smelt tin from?

You know, instead of us bitching about lack of updates and fortress A E S T H E T I C we could be making mods.

You can only get it from casserite. It's supposedly only found in alluvial layers and granite, but I'm on a mountain and there's tons of casserite outside of granite layers.

highly unlikely

the issue is largely that df is predominantly single threaded, requires a high number of calculations per entity, and to be enjoyable requires a large number of entities.

Besides, if any language came along that was even arguably better than C++ at C++'s niche, it would already be dominating the desktop development scene.

What alternative would it be coded in? There isn't much lower level language than C++, so it's hard to see where it could further optimize by switching languages rather than just being coded in C++ better. Unless it were to switch to assembly and get recoded for each processor.

So my starting civ is at war with the local elves. Now I don't mind putting some treehugers in the ground where they belong, but does that mean I'll get elven sieges right off the bat? I've always initiated the hostilities before, and only after enough prep time.