Asking for someone very important to me

Asking for someone very important to me

Are programs like this worth it? Diesel/auto tech positions and a few years of training

How much can someone earn? I have someone very important to me planning on entering this field, I'm proud and hoping things work out

>I have someone very important to me planning on entering this field, I'm proud and hoping things work out
Hi Mom

Are you my mom? I thought you said Veeky Forums is evil?

>How much can someone earn?
google is your friend

I mean, the best path is to go mech eng with automotive concentration but you can probably still make up to 70k out of a program like that.

yes but with a mech eng with auto concentration you could make 70k as starting

Schools like UTI and Wyotech are complete fucking garbage/borderline scam schools. You pay over 30k in tuition alone plus cost of campus living if you're not commuting from home. For that you get some one-year crash course in auto-repair with a "certificate" given to you at the end that's worth less than the paper it's printed on because most employers will still only start you at the bottom changing oil and emptying trash cans. Further the auto-repair industry is a completely shit field to work in where you get fucked by tool mongers, fucked by service writers, fucked by service managers, fucked by parts department workers, and even your closest co-workers will fuck you because flat-rate pay breeds an environment of back stabbing and double dealing like you wouldn't believe. But if despite that you still insist I highly recommend you go through a 2 year community college auto-repair course instead. Yes you'll have to do "real" school work like math and english but in the end it costs usually less than 30k and you get a real actual college degree that can be stepping stone to a different degree in a field that doesn't suck complete ass.
t. salty mother fucker

Just go get a job at a shop.

It's not neccessary, I got a job in auto repair straight out of high school, less than a year in and I Was outperforming kids who took 3 year programs. Experience is worth more than education. Anyone can read a book or take a test, actually doing it under pressure, when it isn't scripted or planned, that's a whole other animal. Try a job in a tire shop or something, make sure they're actually ready to work long hours outside for not much money. It's a hard job, I've seen quite a few who just couldn't handle it.

If you didn't get certifications in high school you fucked up and your best bet is to start as a lube monkey at a shop. Don't waste money on that scam.

>costs $85 to $120 an hour for labor to work on a car not including parts
>technicians make $13 to $23 an hour
Really makes you think

>programs like this worth it?
Only for those able to scam a few more years of parental support.

If you knew how expensive it was to run a shop it wouldn't really make you think.

went to a vocational school for two years during highschool for free and i graduated with my ASE certification and inspection certification lmao
our teacher said that UTI/Wyotech is a huge scam, but even with a nice engineering degree from a nice expensive school you will still be changing oil for a few years before you get to do fun shit like building motors. i'd personally stay away from the auto industry for a few reasons 1) it's backbreaking work 2) it will never pay like you want it to 3) the auto industry is changing rapidly and you will have to keep going back to school every 5 years to keep up with current tech

>Expensive to run a shop
Fucking tripfags. Once you own the building the costs are very minimal.

>Workers are required to use their own tools
>Workers aren't usually in heated/cooled work areas

There's a reason mechanics are on strike in Chicago.

OP here

Someone in my family is interested in going to it and he loves cars and has been working on cars

He's only 16 and thinks this is a great field, I'll support him but this worries me in a way

This shit can fuck up your life with debt and than you;re in a job you dont really care about....

Yep you have it all figured out, that's why everyone that runs an independent is a millionaire

Tell him he's an idiot about to waste thousands. It's one of the few trades that basically anyone can break into, if you're not on drugs and can show up everyday most shops will hire you to at least change oil.

Its his choice, I dont want to be a dick to him

I'm the oldest brother, I went my own path and became very successful

My youngest brother says he likes cars and wants to go to UTI

Good for him, but being honest it is tough work and I like cars (thats why im on O) but i would never want to fix other peoples cars all day

Guess i shouldn't pressure him to go into my field even though my family want him to, i'll let him do what he wants....

I probably shouldn't care, but I'm older than him and I know the reality of most industries and business in the US

unless he's super into the electric/hybrid shit then he's in for some disappointment. i hate to say it, but gas engines are going to be phased out over the next 10-20 years, and they're going to do it by increasing taxes on gas vehicles which will inevitably render them unaffordable. it's fucked up but there's nothing we can do about it

>but there's nothing we can do about it

Dont buy electric, advocate others to do the same. simple

>Workers aren't usually in heated/cooled work areas
Lmao that's why they're retrofitting AC into all the shops here.

they'll begin releasing affordable electric cars within the next few years and they'll throw a nice warranty in the mix to bait normoids into buying them
as soon as the gubbamint decides they want us to drive electric cars there is nothing we can do about it

Can confirm. Literally got hired out of fast food changing oil at a shop because they were running out of people that could pass a drug test.

I was a hard headed stupid kid at that age that hated school and went on to fall for the Wyotech scam. For the love of God at least steer him toward an associate's program at a community college, the cost is the same or less anyway. Better yet help him find work in a shop during the summer while he's still in high school, that way he can see what it's really like, might change his mind then. Depending on the shop there might even be a few older guys that'll pull him aside and red pill him on the realities of the industry. Be sure to seek out shops that aren't climate controlled because very few are. A stint in some cushy-ass shop might give him the wrong idea.

lol'd

You get out of UTI exactly what you put into it. The programs like Ford FACT and BMW STEP are the best programs to get into. Especially STEP. I worked at a BMW dealer, and our best technicians went through the STEP program.

I did the Ford program, and got hired by a BMW dealer. Strange, I know. But the Ford program is very attractive to many dealers because the program focuses a lot on electrical diagnosis.

It's a good program, it's just VERY expensive.

Hes working right now on cars and fucking loves it, so did I at that age

But I went to another field and made it big in the tech field, he will do what he wants. Thats fine but I would rather not try to steer him in a specifc direction

I'm the oldest son and I fucking made it, my other brother is a pizza delivery guy with two degrees and doesn't know what he wants to do

He is partying his life away right now and drinking/smoking his nights away with friends. Thats cool and all, but this is what scares me about my brothers

They will find their own path and I will always be the successful son? Do you know where this can end up? My brother turns 30 and I turn 40 and he is still not successful??

He will fuck up his life, and my other brother when he turns 25 will he want to stay in fixing cars all day???

Not my problem, but I'm just thinking about life and how things will turn out in our lives, I'm way older than him and successful but where will they end up ?

>the program focuses a lot on electrical diagnosis.
i'm too stupid for electrical shit. it's why i gave up on being a tech

>tfw electrical was the only ASE certification I could pass

am i autistic

I dunno man, you-do-you as they. They'll possibly resent your success in the future if they don't already. Could turn into a toxic relationship, might have to cut them out of your life. Really can't predict how things will go beyond educated guessing.

I will never cut my brothers out of my life

I just want to see them make it, but it scares me if I continue on this path and I am already more successful than them, wtf is going to happen to them??

Family doesn't mean anything does it, my fucking brother has two degrees and doesn't know what to do in life

I understand, he wants to drink and smoke weed with his friends, but at 24 I already started entering my field....

He mentions he wants to move in with me, but that wont happen. He doesn't mean it....

Not him but if he wants to move in with you. You gotta put down some ground rules.

this 100%
i worked 5yrs as a mechanic before i left the field. it is full of greed. nobody wants to give a rookie mechanic a start, everbody just wants people with experience. i have about 10K worth of tools sitting in my closet. they still come in handy for my car. flatrate is cancer. the only mechanics who have it good are civil service auto mechanics (police mechanic for example)

honestly its a hit or a miss. at the end its all about being able to land a good job in a place where the person can actually learn. expernece is the real teacher. when i first started my mechanic job i was told forget everything i learned in school

This right here.
I already knew this though so I went the next eng degree route.
I work on industrial diesel engines doing emissions and performance calibration mapping stuff.
Not what I dreamed of ,but infinitely better than changing oil or brakes for minimum wage.
And it pays well enough for me to have fun hobbies, holidays and a mortgage.

He's a good kid

Just needs to understand you make a choice today to follow the same career path for as long as you can, don't come to me when you're 32 and wondering if you should have done something different....

I'm also a fan of working on cars, but changing oil all day long or doing basic maintenance in some dealership is kind of boring

Working on cars != designing miniscule parts for cars with hundreds of hours of CAD work and computer simulations
They're really two totally different fields and require a different mindset

Personally I took the community college route and got my associates DEGREE through an automotive program. UTI can't give you an actual degree, but a college/University can. I'm currently working on an advanced vehicle systems bachelor's degree and I have an internship at FCA this next summer.

what the actual fuck is wrong with america, for all your shitgrinned spouting of muh murican cars you sure as fuck don't seem give a damn about the people maintaining and fixing your cars, its like some lobby WANT cars to fail all the time.. o wait nvm

OP tell your family member he should work at starbucks for a year, then move to germany and get an Ausbildung as a mechanic or bodymech( body being the better choice) that will be 3.5 years with shit pay (around 450 first year to 700 3rd year) but you go to expensive courses for free, one month you work one month you go to school, still better than paying 30k for some bullshit cert. once hes got his degree he most likely will be taken by the company he did his traineeship in, which is almost always the case. now save up 12k for meister school (2 years) and once that is done he'll be fully able to run his own shop. but wait... there's more... save up a bit more or take up a loan and you can be a Automobile Technician which is basically the top notch degree where you can get engineering spots or production line developement or whatever there's so many fucking possibilities. a technician makes on average around 4500€ a month if you have a shit

from then on all doors are open, you can go the solder way if you like that, the electric components way, running your business, developing parts for muh german cars so make sure you make then really easy to assemble and impossible to dissassemble without breaking it. orrrr you go restoring old cars, plenty of that around here, just stop being cucked by your country's money hungry ways it's bullshit