Now that casette tapes are seeing a resurgence of popularity with millennials, hipsters, and nostalgiafags...

Now that casette tapes are seeing a resurgence of popularity with millennials, hipsters, and nostalgiafags, do you know of the tape deck in your 20+ year old shitbox even works still?

The one in my truck does. It works really well and has Dolby noise reduction. I have a bunch of tapes on my truck to listen to because ipods run out of battery

My AW11 doesn't have one because the previous owner replaced it with a gaudy pioneer unit that I can't figure out how to work. I need to replace that.

My trucks 8track is 40 years old and still works. Damn if I know if your shitboxes tape deck still works.

The tape deck in my 20yo shitbox is at present presumably sitting in a scrap yard, and the volume knob is seriously crapping out bigly. The replacement on my shelf I presume works but I never had a chance to install it ;_;

But that's OK. I didn't even have to fabricate my own aux port for my newcar to plug my walkman in to it :D

Have one in my 240z.. works well, I even have an aux cassette

It does, and it works better than the CD player all the way in the goddamn trunk.

It even had a complimentary geriatric-special tape in it when I bought it!

Is it good? I have Ray Conniff's Christmas album on vinyl and it's like everything wholesome about life in one neat packge.

I don't know, I never listened to it. The other side has a bunch of soap opera opening songs, which I also never listened to, but when I first turned it on it was playing the Days of our Lives theme, at least according to my old man who used to watch that shit.

I think I've got ZZ Top in the tape deck right now, that or a Queen tape I found in the garage from before Freddie died. Tried one of those tape deck aux adapters- multiple brands, actually- but for some reason my phone sounds like fucking hot garbage through any aux cable so I just burn CDs in stacks of 6 and fill up the changer in the trunk.

Why though. The quality of tape recordings is shit.

Not all of them. Recordings on good quality cassettes in a good quality deck can sound decent. Techmoan on youtube has a boner for cassettes and retro stuff.

Lies. Overdriving the recording head or the tape a little bit sounds amazing. Of course you have to be using a real hi-fi to appreciate it. Even the oldschool circuitry sounds great. I turned one of my old walkmen into portable practice amp for my bass. It sounded yuge.

Or just get a descent deck. Even the low-end Dragon I picked up has shocking clarity.

Its broken, im trying to find a replacement but the number of people who kept the stock one is low as fuck

>do you know of the tape deck in your 20+ year old shitbox even works still?

Nigga that's my aux. Been rockin a sony tape to 3.5mm adaptor that came with my mommy's walkman. All after market radios are either rgb rice or way too pricey for what you get.

I have the soundtrack for Strafe that came on Cassette.

The tape reader still work in my 94 maxima but the 6 CD changer doesn't.

tried to compromise and i think its ok

how tf do i know where to solder my aux cable to, the shitty little casette deck i'm working on has no schematics online and only one discernable IC, please help

Honestly, you should just take it to somebody and have them fix it. It's probably something stupid like a perished belt.

Hell yeah, to me it's not an "upgrade" if I can't use it easily while driving and that rules out damn near all modern systems. I want to get in my car and drive, not worry about pairing my phone or losing the data connection and my music stream or all that bullshit--it's unacceptable in a vehicle.

The one thing I'd consider is one of those modules that plugs in to the (unused) CD Changer port and lets you add a USB/3.5mm/BT thing--as an option and not my ONLY choice it's fine.

The factory stereo is comfy as fuck, don't want to give it up.

>The quality of tape recordings is shit.
Depends on the equipment really. Most econoboxes that had tape decks were usually inferior with a sound system to match. Likewise, ones installed with CD player equipment of equally cheap quality didn't sound much better. A good hi-fi tape deck will sound just as good as any of the factory CD players installed in most cars of the time.

The very act of playing a tape and running it across the headers corrupts the data, it's inherently a shitty format. I can play a digital format virtually as much as I want and it'll sound as good as the first time but magnetic tape cassettes only go downhill, doubly so when you consider their age as an antiquated format.

I would but its got a couple other issues, balance is off and there's static, changed everything else already too

My 2000 Plymouth's factory head unit has a cassette deck that still works great which is nice since the in-dash 5 disc CD player doesn't.

Funny to think the tape deck would end up being infinitely more useful with those Aux jack tapes.

my shitbox came with a security code locked casette deck, so scoured the maintenance book to no avail. I eventually unlocked it using the last digits of the VIN number now i can listen to old 90's hits with my gf feelscomfyman.png

Used to have a shitty Sony tapedeck that barely worked. Got the OEM unit in pristine condition, works like a charm and the sound is no worse than a CD.
Using type II tapes and recorded on Dolby C.

I'd never swap out a Volvo head unit just 'cause I love that weird curvy font they used to use on everything.

Kek, I drive 05 Tahoe, my cassette port is the only aux I have. Though the cassette 3.5 jack things quit working every month, I just buy more. They're really cheap.

False. That's only true for ferric tapes without Dolby. Using chromium tapes with Dolby B or C can't be distinguished from CD, unless measured for SNRwith lab equipment. Using Dolby S and metal tapes (type iv) is objectively equal to CD.

I listen to self-recorded tapes made in my Technics triple-head tape deck with Dolby C. Shit's cash.

For the task of storing data eternally, I agree. For the task of listening to music, it's a perfectly viable medium as it's indistinguishable from other audio sources, given proper equipment.

Brofist.

My AW11's cassette unit has been working flawlessly until just a few days ago it started making this "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" screech noise when it tries to read the tapes, I hope it's not dead. Fucking with the FF/RW buttons can usually make it play the tape thankfully.

Depends on whether or not your copy was recorded when the master copy was new or when it was worn out

Digital is objectively better in every single way though, fucking hipsters

CD player hasn't worked in 15 years but the tape deck still does. I just use the aux in though.

Works fine, it's the speakers that are gone to shit.

ITT: People coming straight from the latest Techmoan video and think they're now tape experts