/arena/ - Arena FPS General

>implying we'll make it to bump limit again edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions: mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta waves are each week and usually last for 3-4 days each starting on either Thursday or Friday. The beta is no longer under NDA.
UT4 Patch Notes: [YouTube] May 2017 Patch Notes (embed)
Quake Champions interview with Zero4 and Tim Willits: twitch dot tv/videos/144807974
twitch dot tv/videos/144852481

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NrSoAEO4GZI
youtube.com/watch?v=Mxgs7yFFRHI
youtube.com/watch?v=1Iab9w9sHmY&list=PL37zHS9Suk9SQL1B0Ak29zvxuzZbEEDvW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw its your first time ever playing Quake and you just get constantly shit on by veterans

Wish they'd just release the game already

I don't want them to release the game until it's capable of killing Overwach

>until it's capable of killing Overwach
Don't think that's possible considering how many people will still play Overwatch no matter how bad it will get

>Implying I won't be able to bump twice as well with all this fresh OC the shoopers made

Hang in there user; Quake is a really hard game to pick up but once you get the hang of it, its pretty rewarding.

I know, I joined the /arena/ discord and found some guys that helped introduce me in QW. It's a lot of fun, even if I keep getting bodied

you underestimate the power of retards and blizzshills my man

kay, I will refrain from posting my oc so other people can bump the thread when it inevitably starts dying
the OP is an exception

Blizzard poured an insane amount of money into Overwatch. They started up the hype train and emptied entire banks into its engine, then threw the brakes out the window. That being said I don't know that ID/Bethesda will do that. We also don't know what ID's overall plan for the game is, if they want it to be 'e-sporty' like Overwatch or not. Time will tell, in the meantime Hunter when?

Blizzard games don't die unless Blizzard themself kills it.

Gomen user, please post away

I think part of the reason the general dies is cause we all have a small amount of AD/HD

RG/LG*

overwatch esports are a joke
id/bethesda have to be extremely incompetent to fuck it up but then again they implemented a round based duel and thought it was a good idea

>tfw literally a quakedad but don't have the time to play quake while they are this young.

what did he mean by this

0-4 play quake online
5-9 play arcane dimensions

So it's sunday are yall doing that QW night thing again or nah
Wanted to last time but I forgot

I wasn't planning on it for this weekend since we didn't announce it beforehand.

We should put an announcement in the OP and a link to Discord

Yeah we can make an announcement for next sunday and maybe make a poll for which games people would like to play. We were thinking either try quakeworld again or do Quake 3 with mods.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=NrSoAEO4GZI

what happened to all the supposed quake veterans that whined about QC not being real quake when the general was still /qcg/

Since there are no quake veterans

We are all lies

You say that like there's a reason to lie about being a quake player on a mongolian throat singing bulletin board.

>that song name
Is there any character in Quake (3+2/4) that could beat Judge Dredd?

Only pic related

Is it possible to unlock characters permanently from loot boxes in quake champions?
I dont like Ranger, but when i rented scale-guy he was p.cool.

yes

Aw yuss.
Then maybe i shall suffer on. I really blow though.

theyre apparently really rare though, i was level 25 or so and havent gotten a single one

and Blizzard kills its games all the time
see: Starcraft, Warcraft(RTS), World of Warcraft, Diablo(and then later resurrected, props to blizz on that), and Heroes of the Storm as a game that died before it was born as not even blizzdrones and nonstop promotions can prop it up.

Overwach is the product of a shiny paintjob, promotions, and a starved genre. The community playing it is also generally negative about the game and hateful towards the developers- in stronger and stronger proportions as the skill levels go up. Blizzard is forcing their esports on Ovewach and it's literally dying before it starts because it's bad on all three sides- investment return for esport teams because they're dealing with Blizzard, low pro player skill level and interest due to the poor and frustrating nature of the game, and watchability for viewers. As always, Blizzard is in hard denial of all three of these problems.

Ovewah is an overripe fruit ready to be split open. QC isn't to absorb the Ovewh base(ie. the consolekids, the bronze elo retards, the tumblrinas who schlick to Oveh fanfic, etc.), its role is just to squish the rot.

The difference is that OW has longevity, long as they pump out 3-4 heroes this year, couple maps, and keep events and "story" fresh theres no reason it will die. The core of the genre and that its a kinda fast paced fps means most games feel unique. Esports and taking comp OW seriously is absolutely a meme until the roster is 6-10 heroes bigger and blizzard stops making drastic balance changes every patch based on the current small roster and popular opinion

I assume that by 'kill a game' you mean 'kill my favourite character, waah' or 'nerf my favourite ability, baww'?
>Warcraft(RTS)
Blizzard didn't kill it. WC III has an active playerbase and even gets updates. Pretty impressive for a 15 years old RTS.
>Heroes of the Storm as a game that died before it was born
Fuck off, I get into matches in a matter of seconds.
Never played any of the other games, but I bet they're also ok.

Massive roster and infinite interractions between characters is why dota 2 and league still exist, ow employs the same idea of mechanical interractions and incompatabilities but simply lacks a roster big enough to make that list of interractions anywhere near as long as the aforementioned mobas, limiting unique gameplay

Either they get a ~40 char roster ASAP or it will most definitely lose players

>3-4 heroes this year, couple maps
absolutely wrong, the player uptick on the latest heroes and maps was indistinguishable from noise(and significantly smaller than holiday skin events). in addition, they haven't produced 4 heroes ever, they barely managed 3 in the first year with increasingly negative receptions on all 3. They've only produced 2 maps.

Blizzard spends more time trying to justify why they don't come up with more content and getting hated for it than they do actually releasing new content. One of those reasons given is "we realized that new heroes really upset the meta and its hard to balance".

>kinda fast paced FPS
>most games feel unique
actual opinion is that Overwatch plays like you're underwater and that games are extremely repetitive.

In fact some of the maps are so negatively viewed (the 2 capture point maps in particular) that there are increasing player trends to quit/dodge the map (and stop playing altogether) than put up with it.

esports in OW is Blizzards basket; they're putting their eggs into OWL. Yet earlier this year, with the games age less than 1 year, the following pro orgs have dropped their teams and exited OW:
>Denial
>TSM
>Red Reserve
>Complexity
>Splyce
>Reunited
>Luminosity's Gaming's Loyal team (though kept the Evil team)

Many tournament orgs have also decided to drop OW tournaments (Alienware Monthly Melee, Dreamhack) and events in lieu of uncertainty in the field with Blizzard's OWL, which is getting delayed. Again.

>"they barely managed 3 in the first year with increasingly negative receptions on all 3."

I agree, but also disagree.
Ana was a great character to play and was able to establish herself into a vital spot within the competitive meta. Everyone really liked Ana's backstory, and everyone saw that she was a great healer.

However, Sombra and Orisa were implemented poorly, with Sombra's poorly done ARG and Orisa's sudden announcement and release, making both of them terrible, is what ill agree with you on.

they killed their games because nobody plays them
Starcraft 2 is dead, and has been dead for years. Legacy of the Void is a great game, but Blizzard had made sure starcraft 2 game interest was nothing but dusty bones sealed in a coffin before then, and the esports community had already crashed by a combination of stale, frustrating gameplay and Blizzards esports mismanagement. Starcraft HD is literally Blizzard's surrender agreement, admitting their defeat.

Disgust with Heroes of the Storm is so mainstream that PA makes comics about how they hate it.

>killed starcraft 2
Right. That's why they keep releasing content like balance patches, mission packs, ladder maps, announcers, etc.

Why would blizzard NOT want SC2 to have interest? Modern gamers are too casual for the genre and the e-sport scene faded away like wc3 did over time.

I dont see how the HD retexture is anything but a possibility to get people back into starcraft in general. You're trying too hard to fit this narrative.

Did you practice your circle jumps today?

i don't even know what that is

You're grounded now go to your room. No more tendies for a week either.

I wonder how many disaffected OW players will jump ship more or less permanently to QC leaving it to the waifu shippers and mercy mains . Its been a year.

i don't even know what those are

underage b& or newfag b&

I doubt OW will ever have 40+ heroes if they only 2 or 3 a year

pros dont circle jump
only defrag scrubs do

Better version

Do any of you make arena shooters or mod em in some way? Share some stuff why dont ya?

i dicked around in hammer/worldcraft 10 years ago

i dicked around in trenchbroom 10 hours ago

trenchbroom wasn't around 10 years ago you fraud

kek

i didn't say years you donut

oh sheit

lel

What's been the general consensus of QC online? Would be interesting to see the amount of people playing the betas.

i'm going to rip QC ideas for a doom mod
if that counts

Im trying to figure out how to make a third person model be hidden while aiming in first person like in quake in unity.

>unity
why

Are there any multiplayer map sets or just maps for Quake 1-3 like Gothic99 purely focused on visuals?

Arcane Dimensions for Quake 1 looks fantastic, but is focused on gameplay as well.

that's SP only though isnt it
i want something multiplayer focused

You said "just maps," I assumed you meant "or singleplayer."

There won't be much of what you're looking for because in Quake multiplayer everyone turns all the fuckin' graphics off anyway.

why not?

you're objectively wrong

Hello and good morning /arena/ are we ready to make some meme magic.

its 11:59PM

not in Holland, it's like 9 in the morning now. but don't worry pumped out some fresh OC.

sorlag is a girl

I know but they are both pasted on the body of a guy.

s-source?

boku no pico

bump

The circle jump meme has to be one of my favourite /arena/ memes.

I don't know if you can do anything with this, but I've seen a few edits of this poptiepic frame.

You could do a take on the 'It was me Dio" meme

no, this meme is shit and doesn't fit any of the champions
t. jojo manga elitist

I need to read it, I got to part 5

Toxikk isn't listed here? Yeah it has like 60 people playing and half of them are boots but it's still fun.

what do you think?

Pretty good senpai, crash fits very well as the pipimi

Another one that might work for Arena

Right then lads, goodnight

maybe not that one. give me one with text

ded

youtube.com/watch?v=Mxgs7yFFRHI

Watch some of that guy's videos, his explanations are pretty long-winded but at least they're aimed at newcomers. Once you get the hang of the basics you can probably learn a lot more from watching streams etc. but it's a good start.

For movement I quite like this series: youtube.com/watch?v=1Iab9w9sHmY&list=PL37zHS9Suk9SQL1B0Ak29zvxuzZbEEDvW

huh

huuuh

HUERGH

if quads thread won't die

grenades in QC when

never because it contributes to nothing but blind spam

bad meme

prove me wrong

quake 2 exists

and
q2 gl is arguably the worst in its category in the series, it's damn near useless

t. scrub that can't aim cooked nades

>gl
>hf
>gg
>wp

reminder