Turbocharging a V6 Mustang

I'm planning to buy a V6 Mustang and then turbocharge it.

Is this a good plan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7xvPWLtmnm8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why not v8 so you don't have to turbocharge it?

The one in the pic makes 407HP/471TQ on E85 at 12 PSI, and 325HP/357TQ on 93 octane.

For comparison the 5.0 makes 435 hp/400 lb-ft

Now, I don't know how much turbocharging a V6 affects the fuel economy. Do you think it'll affect the fuel economony a lot?

I do like the V8 but since after I realised that I could mod a V6, I'm so much exited to buy one and do it. Plus my main intention of this thread to know how much it'll affect the fuel economy.

No. Sell it and buy a V8 and then supercharge that.

yes just do it user, if only so you can enjoy a new Mustang with a slightly different edge to it over all the masses of normal mustangs out there. I figure it's not about horsepower for you, it's about the funn of actually doing something like this at all?

Either way make sure to post update threads here on Veeky Forums though, sounds like a fun project.

You'll void your warranties, spend near $10k upgrading everything just to be as fast as a new V8. With worse fuel economy.

Whos got the money for this shit man. Just thinking about financing a brand new car stresses me out.

seems like anyone that has a v6 mustang eventually changes to a v8

If you are worried about mpg, just go with bolt on tune. Or save up for 5.0

Bolt on like what?

Not everybody is broke. If you were born into shitty poor senpai, you need to work Harder then others to get out of it.

Why do they have a NA V6, Turbo I4, and a NA V8, but not a Turbo V6 from the factory?

Yes, it's not about the horsepower, it's more like about the fun I wanna experience. Plus if I keep it very subtle, i could surprise my passengers.

Good to know. Thanks for your input.

For 2018, they are only gonna sell the 5.0 V8 and the EcoBoost 4. The reason why they don't sell a TV6 is obvious. Just turbocharging a V6, it makes a very similar power as what the V8 makes. So from a company's standpoint, they want more V8s to be moved. Plus a V8 is always charged more than a V6.

All I want to see is a Mustang V6 Performance package like what Chevy has, the V6 Camaro 1LE.

>Is this a good plan?

No, you will still have a 2 star NCAP mustang.

If you want to be a special snowflake get a Chevy SS. Or a retired Police Caprice with a V8. Or even a used CTS-V.

Damn you Ford.

no, almost doubling the amount of air and fuel the engine uses will have no effect on economy. of course it will, it will actually use more than double of the 5.0 when you're gunning it considering 7.4>5.0

Dude, so ford is scared of customers buying v6 instead of 5.0 ? How can you be this dumb ?

>V6 Camaro 1LE
fucking god-tier car.

Its ironic that ecopoop """GT""" made me hate V6s but the V6 Camaro made me love them. most people hate V6s in Pony cars but with the V6 Camaro id say fuck them the car has earned its existence beyond posers who just want a cheap pony car but can't pay for a V8.

>Dude, so ford is scared of customers buying v6 instead of 5.0 ?
Do you think not? Well, you are wrong. Then how come they don't make a V6 anymore for the 2018?

And, I was talking about a Turbo V6 and not about a V6. My answer was a reply to the post which literally states "but not a Turbo V6 from the factory?".

And not everyone are car enthusiasts. Most just buy a non-V8 Mustang based on just the looks. Another kind of buyer is OP who wants to buy a V6 just to turbocharge one. Understand the shit before you call out dumb on someone.

Since you're asking here you probably have no idea what you'd be getting into. Like massive costs and intense labor, not to mention a loss of some reliability. It just happens when you fab up a FI system on any car.

But that being said, its not a terrible idea. The 2015 and up V6 cyclones have forged rods and cranks, with the weakspot obviously being pistons. Since it probably isnt worth it to start with a complete motor build, you would need to really be careful on stock pistons with boost. E85 or methanol would help with cooling them, as well as a good intercooler setup or anything to lower IATs and thereby prevent detonation. Conservative timing and AF ratio would be a must.

Theres a pre forged rods cyclone v6 (11-14) with a single turbo (76mm iirc) on YT making like 600whp PLUS nitrous, destroying a bolt on GTR. The vid says they got a bottom end and are waiting to put it in.

And from a more objective standpoint, the 3.7 cyclone has decent heads and nice flat power from 5k to 7k rpm on stock cams. With forged rods/crank and companies like MMR making internals and more, I think its a real possibility to drop 10kish in a setup and outrun GTs. And itd put you at the same price point. (Although desu s550 v6s get worse shocks/springs and wheels than the ecoboost and gt)

Eventually if you keep it turned up past 450whp, you'd surely detonate and take a piston out. But reasonable daily driving and conservative boost could make it last a long time before you have to throw in a full 4340 steel setup with good bearings and ARP hardware.

There are 2 companies that make complete kits, one is notorious and the other is liked, do your research here.

Also I'd run a 76mm at low boost on stock compression, 10:1. (Maybe 67mm if you plan on staying loost boost or desire lower lag for a manual trans/street driving). Once you rebuild the motor, something like 9ish to 1 CR with 93 and up'ing the boost to 15-20psi would really put a 67/76 in its efficiency range.

>also

Once you do all that, it seems like cams and a head port and intake manifold would be next, but most people dont even go this route and Im not sure whats available here. As in, if gains can be made from porting, or if cams are worth it. Heck, youd be out more money for a custom sheet metal intake too.

I think that a centri with full exhaust would be a much SIMPLER build, maybe not as much HP or TQ but nice cool IATs and more responsive linear buildup, but not as flat of a tq curve. Should be 2 or 3 grand cheaper

The ecoboost 4 cylinder is more powerful and probably has less emissions. It makes sense to drop the v6

The V6 Camaro is actually a good performance car and the 1LE package makes it even more better. Ford just don't understand the potential the V6 in it had. Chevy went the right way by giving it a 1LE package.

Agreed. But who actually wants a car this big and a car always known to have a V8 or a V6 with a 4cyl in it? I personally don't like the idea of a 4cyl EcoShits Mustang. Get a BRZ or a MX5 instead. They could had actually improved the V6 they had. Everyone ewwed when Ford came out with a 4cyl mustang and I say Ford was dumb not giving the V6 a performance upgrade from the factory.

V6+turbonium=V8 powers
But
V10 appetite for fuel

Mustangs have had 4 bangers since 1975. The real question is who buys a mustang without a V8. Evidently enough retards do.

Yeah, I don't understand why a car this performance oriented should be equipped with a 4 cyl and IMO I don't like them. Evidently people buy them because they like them. Who are you to question someone's preference?

You say it's a performance oriented car so why even have a v6? The 4 banger outperforms the v6 in power and fuel economy. It being lighter helps weight distribution too.

the only 2 reasons I can think to have the v6 is it is more reliable with 1 less system with numerous oil and coolant connections to fail AND it is less stressed which leads back to reliability. I love my v6 in both my vehicles.

Rule of thumb: for any given V6 ponycar budget, you could buy an older V8 model and go much faster.

The one in the pic makes about the same WHP as a 5.0, but using expensive fuel, and of course without a warranty. It'll start at 25K, then require a 10K turbo kit, plus installation and tuning of course.

Meanwhile, you could be having a brand new 5.0 GT, with a warranty, that'll get ~375whp on every pump fuel, and it'll cost you less than 35K. Mod that thing, and it makes even more sense.

>2017
>Not getting a car with leather

Nigga buy a used 2015 base GT you fuck.

>
Correct. Had a V6 2004. Bought a 2017 5.0 instead of the new I4 turbos.

>450whp turbo V6 Mustang
For that kind of money, you could be having a 500-550whp V8 one instead.

not really, dude above said you only get within 10hp using e85 which fucking evaporates when youre giving it the beans and on the highest octane you can get just under race gas its lacking nearly 100hp while still consuming more than double that of a v8

My first Mustang was a red 2011 V6 with the performance package. Family friend owned a dealership in my hometown, and knew I was looking for a a RWD car with decent highway mileage that I could fit my 6'3" ass comfortably in. Drove from Ft. Benning, GA to Illinois frequently. Wasn't planning on a Mustang, let alone a V6, but it turned out to be a fantastic car that could see 33-34mpg at 70mpg with a tune and a few basic addons. Never gave me any trouble aside from lower control arm bushings which was a common issue.

Almost 2 years ago I got this car, a 2014 GT with the track pack and Recaros. Similarly issue free, though I haven't done a lot to it other than some cosmetic things and wheels/tires. Saving pennies for some parts next year. I take the highway to university four days a week at 40 miles one way. I generally see 28mpg on the highway at 60mph, and overall average both ways and city driving usually nets me a total of 24-25mpg

My advice, if you're getting a 2018, is to get either the new GT or the Ecoboost of whatever trim level you can afford and get the track package with the Recaro seats. You'll have a great base to work from with either car, though I would personally choose the new 5.0 because of the new changes to the motor and MT-86 transmission.

Pic didn't attach.

>I'm planning to buy a V6 Mustang and then turbocharge it.
I head the v6 has forged internals
do it faggit

also, obligatory video:
youtube.com/watch?v=7xvPWLtmnm8

I don't know shit about anything but I'd think you'd end up spending more buying a V6 Mustang and adding a turbo than just buying a V8 Mustang.

I thought we told you never to come back, Setk.

how would it have WORSE fuel economy?
i'd like an explaination

Oh you know, thing called boost

>more air
>means more fuel
>means less mpg
not that hard of a concept

semi-unrelated

Are the 05+ v6's good daily drivers?

Been looking for a decent deal on a nice daily driver upgrade. Currently driving a 95 bonneville that has had a bad headgasket getting progressively worse for 3 months and trans slipping bad under more than 50% throttle. Been car hunting but picky because I want something that'll last a few years or at least be worth fixing when shit goes wrong. There was a point where this bonneville quit being worth fixing shit on, rockers are totally rusted and gone. A/C died on me at the same time as fuel pump. Right after replaced fuel pump was gonna do AC but trans started slipping then starting going through coolant and its not the intake gasket this time.

Anyway some kid in a class of mine who isnt a car kid at all mentioned that his dad wants to sell his mustang he didnt know anything about it whether it was a gt or not. I was looking for something like a camry/accord for 3-4k. But I looked at the mustang.

dads not knowledgeable either just likes mustangs. It's an 05 v6 mustang premium. Identical to one in picture. It's 5 speed. 112k miles. Good like new tires. New brakes. Clutch at 105k. New serpentine belt. Only mod is it has a magnaflow dual exhaust. Its actually still super quiet. Guy just said he did it cause he wanted dual exhaust for looks.

Said he wont go lower than $3500.
Decent deal for 12 year old v6 car? It's super clean. Everything works. Stereo is great. AC cold cruise works. Keyless entry. way nicer than the shitboxes Im used to.
I wouldnt want to try modding it just use it for a reliable daily driver I wouldnt be ashamed of taking a qt3.14 out in.

I sold my 2004 V6 with 106k miles for $4k cash. Decent deal.

To be honest, they're great if your other choice was a Camry or whatever, but I'd really save more money and buy a used GT. You'll thank yourself and me a random ass user. Trust me. Take the extra cost/insurance.

To be honest, if you really want to reduce the difference in rates between a V6 and GT, take a defensive driving course. Geico offers 10% off, I'd wind up saving almost $700 a year (currently driving a 2017 5.0). Gonna be taking it soon.

Do it user. Don't go with the V6 get the 4.6

Dude it's an old V6 Mustang. If the girl already likes you she'll say whatever the fuck she thinks you want to hear. "Ohhh user, what a cool car :) Man and it's a stick shift, it must be fast!" or "Cool, my dad/mom/grandfather/uncle/brother/sister/aunt/cousin had/has a Mustang!"

Otherwise she'll either think you're a tryhard for driving an old Mustang or other bro-fags will laugh at you for having an old V6 'stang... or she won't give a fuck and treat it like any old beater.

But honestly, though, at $3500 for a car that you know was decently cared for? Just fucking buy the damn thing. You're not going to find much better than that. It's fun, it's cheap, and it'll last you a good long while.

The difference is, with this V6 he knows that he's not buying a piece of shit with 100 problems lurking just around the corner.

So he thinks.

I replaced half the shit on my 2004, wouldn't be surprised if half the other shit went wrong after the kid bought it.

Fact is he's buying a used car and will have problems. No matter what. Might as well man up and get the GT.

GT's seem to go for 7-9k in this body style still. If anything the 99-04's are going for the same too its like they're going up in value. no interest in a foxbody or 94-98.

i literally just want a daily driver and dont need the GT for my purposes. Sure maybe it'd be nicer but not for doubling my budget for a beater.

i have my MR2 already back home that is my project/fun car I really dont need another. Just something to drive through winter and go back home for winter, spring, and summer breaks (8 hours driving)

i have high hopes about this mustang if they're known for being good cars. That's mainly why I posted just to see if anyone had experience with these things being reliable or not.
This guy bought it new and has a folder full of all its basic service and the few bigger maintenance pieces like the clutch.

Just seems like if they're known for being decent reliable $3500 would be too bad to be in on it.

I swear to fucking god, we get these threads at least 3 times a week here. Why is it always mustangs? I never see anything about anyone turboing/supercharging camaros or challengers. Always fucking mustang v6s.

Listen man, I'll tell you what I tell everyone else when this thread pops up: it's dumb. The turbo kits spent to get this thing to optimal power is dumb when you can get the 5.0 and not have to deal with the headache. You get MUCH worse fuel economy than the 5.0 and to top it off, you're putting way more stress on a smaller engine than need be. The not to mention that v6 engine they used for the mustang does NOT like boost, and you're more likely to end up with a blown engine than anything.

Buy the 5.0 and upgrade internals as you go. Those things are the opposite of the v6, as they do like abuse and boost.

I'm OP here and I'm glad people are pouring in their opinions like you did. At this moment, I'm sadly gonna drop the plan because I really think it's a tedious task that includes a lot money and time than I thought. Really good discussion so far. However, I'll be mostly considering a Camaro SS or a Mustang 5.0 in the near future. Thank you all!

I daily drive a 5.0 and its worth the extra cost. The Mustang is meant to be driven every day, no matter the engine. You will outgrow and not enjoy the V6 that much quickly. Just get the fucking GT.

Don't get the Camaro. Low visibility, shit interior, only looks good in Black, and driven by small dicked faggots. You'll enjoy the 5.0 a lot more. It has a way bigger aftermarket, and is more reliable. Plus no body really cares about Camaros, but say Mustang and everyone from a little kid to that hot girl next door to your parents will lowkey love it, even if they don't admit it. When my JDM friends drove mine they had a huge smile on there face.

the guy is talking about a $3500 shitbox daily driver and you guys are trying to talk him into a car that runs $7000-20000. Cheapest option will still double his budget. He's not asking about building something just something for A->B

I swear people just hear what they want to hear in these threads.

I have the same kit by the same company as the one in the pic. My 2012 stang does 400hp 550ftlb @10psi on 93. They have it tuned conservatively. My car gets 19mpg.

But I would just buy a v8 or swap the F150 3.5tt into it.

They're good DD cars, my little sister has an 2006 V6 and it does pretty well. It would be great if they had the newer 3.7 if not for the power but the fuel economy. The 4.0 is a reliable engine and the only issues I'm aware of with my sister's car is the front lower control arm bushings going out, but I put in the Roush part so that won't happen again. Even when they're going out they just creak over big bumps.