I've been considering getting a GTI

I've been considering getting a GTI.
Up until now, I've only owned Jap econoboxes.

Is the common wisdom of German cars true?
Are maintenance schedules required to be followed more closely?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cpLzx9Z8Puw
youtube.com/watch?v=dm4LqmKcH44
youtube.com/watch?v=0HsEgc9MnaY
youtube.com/watch?v=YS8Xw5yhNW8
fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow
youtube.com/watch?v=EHF2Onul7po
nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/
autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/nurburgring-lap-records-definitive-rundown
fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife
stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/95090091/subaru-wrx-sti-under-7mins-around-nurburgring
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>owned two econoboxes
>wants to buy a third
y tho? why not buy an actual good car?

Because it's still practical, while offering an incredible driving experience.

have a 2015 GTI, pain in the ass to keep running. No mechanical issues yet however it has a reciprocating ball bearing turbo so you have to baby the car when you start it up and when you turn it off

Try owning a gti, you will be better prepared for a BMW or Merc later.

>tfw looking at a 2004 mk4 gti
Is there anything to be noted about these? It seems to be begging to be further modified since it's already got a headstart with the turbo system.

why do you need practical?

I got a 2001 MK4 V5 ( European market only )
There are a few things to look out for with the mk4 chassis.
There's a good chance of rust under the plastic covers of the wheel wells. This is because dirt and leaves and shit get stuck in there and they catch water and moisture, which in turn speeds up rust formation.

Make sure to check the gearbox properly, some cars have been hammered so hard that the synchro's literally get stuck sometimes, and you won't be able to put the car into a certain gear without shifting around a bit until the synchro unfucks itself.

I'm not sure if the US ever got a 2L GTI, but steer the fuck clear of that 2L engine, it will start using oil, and get very bad over time.

Some other small problems most Mk4s have is the mass airflow sensor, car will run very poor stationary, and sometimes will have reduced power when you floor it.

and as with all older german cars, check to make sure all the electronics still work.

Small tip when buying any volkswagen group car, check under the carpet in the trunk, there's a sticker.
This sticker will tell you all the options this car originally came with. It's an easy way to know if someone messed with it in any way. ( like adding cruise control or different seats )

That's good practice and you should be doing that in any turbo vehicle.

I baby my 2015 STI in that way, but still drive her like she's meant to be driven.

>incredible driving experience
if you consider understeer and rattling interior an incredible driving experience...
lol

>you have to take care of the turbo

and?

pretty clear you havent driven one of these cars. hot hatches in general are mad good these days

>Is the common wisdom of German cars true?
What do you think? Try to drive it first.
>Are maintenance schedules required to be followed more closely?
It is same as other cars. You know you have to change the oil every 5-10K miles or that car will hate you.

Cool thanks for this, quite helpful.

nigga are you mongoloid?
I worked at a VAG store for 2.5 years, and unlike you I also have friends who has cars so I guess i drove more cars than you ever will lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=cpLzx9Z8Puw

just sayin

haldeks xd

kek

They are good but they feel chavy

21150 for the base, any reason to go higher in trim?

Not unless you want leather or a sunroof. The lighting package in the SE is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash. The one thing that would make the higher trims worth it is the fender audio system, that shit is great, wish I had it

Why doesn't the Us get the Scirocco R? All of the Golf R goodness without any of the gay Haldex shit.

>citation needed

I have a '16 and the thing is solid as a rock and drives like it's on rails. There's a reason Clarkson dailies a DSG GTI... they're THAT good

Volkswagon should make a new sport model of the GTI, The GTI-UP. Get it?

>if you consider understeer and rattling interior an incredible driving experience...
>lol
this, also FWD.

Gti vs si vs st vs wrx. What's your pick?

GTI takes tunes infinitely better than any other you listed. Also has the best interioR

>fwd fwd fwd awd
hmmmm

Kid, get off the bus. You're a faggot if you actually care about 0 to 60 times. I guarantee you don't have anything near as nice as the cars he listed

When will this meme end?

Just get a WRX

>AWD
>faster
>better handling
>better grip
>looks actually sporty instead of just another cuckbox on the road

Also the GTI is FWD...that should be enough to discard it

If you think AWD is only good for 0-60 times, then you're the busrider.

cute phoneposting fwd-shitters

I cross-shopped all of these two years ago, along with the BRZ, and ended up in the WRX. I can answer any questions if you want some input.

Samefagging level: Hard

youtube.com/watch?v=dm4LqmKcH44

>better handling
>better grip

my sides see

>Faster

youtube.com/watch?v=0HsEgc9MnaY

>hhmmmm faster

youtube.com/watch?v=YS8Xw5yhNW8

>fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow

52. Subaru WRX Randy Pobst 1:27.33 272 / 1508

91. VW Golf GTI (Mk VI) Randy Pobst 1:31.47 211 / 1318

ouch! at least your anecdotal youtube videos are evidence enough for you, though! :^)

>Fastlaps.com

Somehow this is supposed to weigh more than actually seeing with your own eyes?

A tuned GTI still costs less than a WRX, AND would get a much faster time.

same driver, same track, same conditions, source is actually a reputable publication.

yep, that means more in my eyes. do you just watch youtube highway pulls like a 14 year old all day? do you even get out and drive?

sure thing buddy, we'll take your word for it lmao
also, that four seconds is a fucking huge gulf for your krautbox, it's the difference between the stock wrx and a gt500

ass mad subaru boy spotted

youtube.com/watch?v=EHF2Onul7po

Holy shit, I had to revive a dead meme for you

phoneposting vw ape can't deal with stats, whoda thunk? same to the guy with the reddit filenames :^)

>vwpleb is a game of plebs fan too
the memes write themselves! what's next, you gonna start posting facebook memes?

Its almost like all the sub memes are true

Oh shit, we got ourselves a faggot from /b/ lol

>Veeky Forums master race!

yo keep posting those hella freakin epik reaction images vwfriend, that's sure to make the lap times go away lmao

nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

I'll just leave this here..

Lol, I can almost smell your vape juice through my screen kid

Hmm, its almost as if the subaru fanbois are full of shit lol.

yeah, those motor trend subaru fanboys have a huge conspiracy going against VAG

autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/nurburgring-lap-records-definitive-rundown

Not a single sub on the list kiddo

no shit, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence
the mclaren p1 isn't on that list either, doesn't mean it's a slow car
how stupid do you actually have to fucking be?

fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

Same website, better track. Faster car was the GTI.

Take a look at the list under your post, same website that you posted. But this time with the only track that matters.

OP. This turned into a shit show... The GTI is nice, if you have any more questions, hopefully they can be answered. Don't let these flame wars sour your mood.

the only wrx nordschliefe times you find are the bullshit modded ones like this stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/95090091/subaru-wrx-sti-under-7mins-around-nurburgring which don't mean anything

that's why you use the ceteris paribus times (i.e. same driver, same track, assured stock, same publication, same conditions), not that VW apes would know anything about the scientific method

also, to the guy who wanted buying advice, here's my assurance that I know better than VAG apes

I'm out, my time's more valuable than any VW poorfag's

Keep making excuses. We've seen that the gti is faster

OP here.
I'm sold on the GTI - I'm just killing time waiting for VW to do 0% interest again.

I also like to know all the little details, so I post a GTI thread on Veeky Forums every once in a while.
I shopped for a monitor for over a year before I finally bought one.
I started looking at the MK7 GTI in late 2015, decided to get one in mid-2017 but missed the 0% by a few months.

I imagine the next time 0% rolls around, I'll be buying a 2018.

>My times more valuable
>Proceeds to next thread to spew more horse shit

t. BTFOed poorfags
stay aspirational kids, you'll make it one day!

I think you are right. Id imagine the next time they throw that promo out will be a couple months before they release the Mk8

>buying a Volkswagen
lel

>Id imagine the next time they throw that promo out will be a couple months before they release the Mk8
Nah.
They do it end of model year and beginning of summer like clockwork.

>Daddy bought my car AND paid for my school, Im so prosperous!

TFW I make more than you ever will even after your schooling is over

Ah, you sure seem to know your shit lol

Subaru fangirls BTFO AS FUCK

Why so deadset on new?

Working on my mk4 has been a blast tbqh.

I'm leaning more do and want a rear ac vents. I can have all of that from a grinder for 21000. The cheapest new wrx from the one Subaru dealer in PHX is 24500.

not the cupra300

>same drivetrain layout as Audi, which puts the engine ahead of the front axle
really made me think

Yes. Practically the same car but looks a 100 times better.

Cheaper, too.

What horseshit, he was clearly going too fast for the corner, the car looks like it starts to roll before it even hits the berm (tho WRX can understeer).

I just bought a MK5 a few days ago and with out a doubt reccomend an even newer gti. They're a wonderful drive, well equipped and smooth on the motorway.

>steer the fuck clear of that 2L engine, it will start using oil, and get very bad over time
The fuck are you talking about? The 2.slow is underpowered, sure, but it's one of the most reliable engines VW has ever built.

It is all about how bad are the drivers. Most owners of Audi, Subaru, and so are really bad because they don't know how to drive, they are going into the corner with too much power. Any car will understeer if you hit a corner going faster than the car can handle it. Plus, if stability control was turned off, it's the driver's fault anyway. Unless you're drifting, or are a professional driver, you're stupid to turn off ESP on a car.