LEGAL BOOKS

Lawyerfags, what are legal books I can read to get a better grasp on legal/law stuff?

Would love to be a lawyer, but I don't have the time to go to school for all that without giving up having a family in the near future

Other urls found in this thread:

loc.gov/law/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We used the Smith and Robertson book during my Contract/Tort and Commercial Transactions classes.

Honestly though, you're better off hiring a lawyer. The books don't teach you how to research or get access to relevant case law.

>Hiring a lawyer to learn how to be a lawyer

Not gonna happen. Learning the law requires intensive training of your critical and logic skills. In America, the law primary comes from court cases (precedent) not rules printed in some book (code law). 85% of what you do in law school is learning how to understand, apply, challenge, extend, analogize, limit, and interpret the thousands of court decisions that make up common law.

Reading some book is likely to be more harmful than helpful, to be honest.

U.S. Legal Code

>Implying every single court case in the United States isn't public record you can go access in five minutes

Law school is a cartel that makes its business by broadcasting common law as an esoteric art only wizards can understand. Meanwhile, the average citizen gets fucked because he doesn't know how to approach the police properly because he's only ever told "HURR CALL A LAWYER AND SAY NOTHING" by you chuckefucks.

The prison-industrial complex grows.

I studied law in a small European country, so I'm afraid I can't give you proper sources.

But I'd start here: loc.gov/law/

Law is basically the art of asking the right questions and then knowing where to look for the answers. And when you think you've found an answer the trick is to try and clarify every word of it.

>tfw I kind of do that already with political discussion and theory

holy fug

Nah fuck what that other guy said.
Buy a suit, download an app with Black's law dictionary, and start writing unsolicited amicus (a-mee-cus) briefs to judges hearing important cases, to get your name out there. If you're interested in corporate law, then download some templates for complaints and summons, learn to fill them in correctly, and just start mailing them to companies. Depending on the state, you may be able to add Esquire to the end of your name. Let people know that you won't be having your lawyer look over anything before you sign it, because you're your own counsel.
If it comes to it, always represent yourself in court.

>Implying every single court case in the United States isn't public record you can go access in five minutes
Show me where I implied any such thing. Your argument skills suck.
>Law school is a cartel
Fuck off, tin foil asshat.

Law is largely the product of politics. It are two sides of the same coin. That's why so many politicians are lawyers.

Unless you're a lawyer, learning law is almost a complete waste of your time. You haven't read hundreds of cases about warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or bailments.

Retarded. Please kill yourself.

Well, it's more useful than watching tv.

>Fuck off, tin foil asshat.

$250 an hour for a lawyer

The same guys that write our laws and become judges.

Defiantly not a cartel in anyway shape or form.

Free market, dumbass. Supply and demand determines prices, just like any other product or service. And if you're legitimately poor, you can get one for free.

If you want to hire a $19.99/hr lawyer, go find one. He'll have your same lack of intelligence, skill, and wisdom, so you'll probably get along great.

Why is it that if there is a dispute between two people or organizations, in court, if one party doesn't have the money to pay for legal services, they are likely to lose, regardless of whether they're in the right or wrong? How can this be called justice?

I agree, but there are so many different situations in life that we need rules of "right and wrong" for that we need a profession that studies these rules and knows how to apply them.

I think my biggest gripe is that if a person is involved in a criminal or civil matter, they can't do a little research and defend themselves, they HAVE to hire a lawyer, and not hiring a lawyer is considered disrespectful to the judge.

It isn't really a free market when a person HAS to go to law school to practice law.

It used to be that you could take the bar and practice law without going to law school, but they made law school a prerequisite.

So in a sense, it's an expensive club that you must join to defend or prosecute in the court system. It's a bit exclusionary to the common man.

>It isn't really a free market when a person HAS to go to law school to practice law.
>It isn't really a free market when a person HAS to go to med school to practice medicine.
#rekt

Yes but the difference is that a person can be forced into a court of law.

With medicine, conditions can arise or not, and the person has full power over how they choose to treat the condition AND they can try any OTC or holistic treatment that they want.

Incorrect analogy there sir. Cash me outside.

>Yes but the difference is that a person can be forced into a court of law.
Damn, way to waste those repeating digits.

>With law, conditions can arise or not, and the person has full power over how they choose to treat the dispute AND they can try any extra-judicial procedure, negotiation or mediation that they want.

#rekt
#again

Uh no.

> have flu
fuck it, I'll just not do anything about this

> receive a subpoena
you have to go to court or you'll get a default judgement or get sent to jail in some cases

This is clear cut mane. How bow dah.

By your own admission in your post they HAVE to respond to the legal situation.

Which is my very point.

>have flu
>fuck it, I'll just not do anything about this
>>die

>receive a subpoena
>fuck it, I'll just not do anything about this
>>lose case

Same shit, different day. You can do or not do whatever you want, kid. But there are consequences to your actions. Alway consequences to your actions.