What's better; Anti-lag or 2 Step?

>What's better; Anti-lag or 2 Step?
After watching videos, they still confuse me. and I can't decide which is better for a turbo
I'm currently saving up for a 1991-1993 240sx, it's gonna be my first drift/race car
>Would a Varying Geometry Turbo circumvent turbo lag enough not to need either?
>Would I benefit from one 2 step or Anti-lag anyway?
>Can you even find VGTs for a 240sx?
>If now what's best turbo option?
part B to the question:
>I currently live in Commiefornia, would they both make me fail smog?
inb4 get a supercharger, I don't want a super
I'm still learning, that's why I come to this thread, so pardon any ignorace

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SBZGP0VjxBo&feature=youtu.be
youtu.be/A4Db_YXWjW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you get the right size turbo and a good ball bearing turbo, lag should not be an issue. Unless if you plan on doing dig races you shouldn't need a 2 step, all a 2 step is is a secondary red limiter that you can launch off of typically at full throttle without traction loss, but that's for drag cars. Anti lag is mainly a rally thing that is a bitch to tune and install, plus it is very hard on the turbo. Just go for about a 38mm Garret ball bearing turbo and call it good. Do injectors and fuel system and ignition system upgrades. Also, get good tires. Traction makes all the difference in any car. Pinch your pennies and buy the best wheels and tires you can buy, same with suspension. Also if you want driveability try to get a limited slip diff don't weld it. Dailying a welded diff is stupid and unsafe. Also get good brakes too

But thats a 180

>pic semi-related

>180sx
>LHD

lol dumbasses, its just a 240sx with 180sx tail lights.

check out where the steering wheel is

its not hard to make a 240sx look like a 180sx. Only thing you need is money

that's the 240 I;m saving up for, the owner put in the JDM rear tail lights in the 1991 240sx

shameless self bump for more opinions

>antilag
pros:
no lag
godlike sound
envy of everyone at the meet
cons:
chance you will destroy your engine or turbo
complicated to fit
requires reinforcing on parts like internals, exhaust manifold and turbo
expensive to fit and maintain
fuel usage is through the roof
your car is now undrivable

>2-step
pros:
doesnt grenade your engine (in comparison)
a good alternative
still the envy of the meet
cons:
expense
thats about it

why don't just buy twin scroll turbo?

>Varying Geometry Turbo
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

2 step is just a lower rev limiter that is imposed at a lower rpm than when driving, with the idea that you can set it at the right rpm just keep the car floored and launch somewhat consistently

antilag is ontop of 2-step. it requires a seperate set of most importantly igniton but also fuel maps to be used just for launch. i find the load cells that the car sits in while on the 2-step and make an island of extreme negative timing with some extra timing changes extending up with load axis. i can take a screenshot of what this looks like, but here is a video of a car i personally did this to in action:

youtube.com/watch?v=SBZGP0VjxBo&feature=youtu.be

antilag can be also implemented off-throttle with some kind of system to get air directly into the exhaust manifold before the turbo. this can be heard here on the silver evo-
youtu.be/A4Db_YXWjW8
jdm evos have a emissions related system that can be used for this exact purpose fitted to them, and there are a few different designs from different places over the years but it's the same basic idea

sequential twin turbo with antilag

sorry, the silver evo at 4:27. here are the modified maps i was talking about- the upper are the launch ignition maps and the lower is the normally used map. also i forgot to mention but antilag is pretty hard on a turbo, but if you don't go fucking around with it all the time at the gas station or w/e spot the local hoons go, you shouldn't have issues.

>I'm currently saving up for a 1991-1993 240sx, it's gonna be my first drift/race car
save up a few years first you underage phoneposter shit

Don't even think about it. You also sound very underage

what's your opinion on how antilag and two step affect turbo and engine longevity?

I'm 20
and I didn't phonepost. haven't the slightest Idea where you fags got either of those idea from
I too would like to know

You don't need anti-lag if your turbo is the right size for your engine. lag happens when your turbo is big and you don't get boost for the first bit of your range

that evo is on a stock 9 turbo, it has the same amount of shaft play as it did before i put this on about 2 months of daily driving ago, i know- i specifically checked it before and recheck it regularly because it made me very nervous. it doesn't sit there for longer than it takes to hit 20psi ever and isn't used for showing off though

just some jealous old fucks who wish they got into cars earlier.

don't mind them user

if I had anti lag I would probably show off all the time lel

>Anti lag is mainly a rally thing that is a bitch to tune and install
It requires literally no hardware.
It can be done 100% with tuning.
Yeah, it's a real bitch alright....
Actually, most of the shit you typed is wrong as fuck.
Every con you posted about anti lag is wrong.
Different things for different reasons, not mutually exclusive, you can have both.
2-step: Just a tool to build boost from a standing start.
"Anti-lag" : Comes in many forms. Good tuning makes anti-lag useful for transitions when drifting, because you have boost available instantly all the time. It's hard on your exhaust valves and exhaust valve seals. Your turbo itself doesn't give a shit.
Fuck no. Not even a little bit.
>Varying Geometry Turbo
Forget completely about this.
The OEM turbo from the SR20. You're a beginner, and presumably on a budget, so you'll want lots of midrange, a cheap setup, and very little lag. It's the best cheap option by far.
Yes. There are plenty of ways to circumvent this. Plenty of drift communities have common knowledge. Smog the car before you modify it, then figure out how to circumvent for next time. There's ways.
>I'm still learning, that's why I come to this thread, so pardon any ignorace
Then learn.
>inb4 get a supercharger, I don't want a super
Don't close off options before you fucking know anything.
Get a good standalone ecu...
>why don't just buy twin scroll turbo?
Expensive and unnecessary.

>antilag can be also implemented off-throttle with some kind of system to get air directly into the exhaust manifold before the turbo
You need no hardware to do this. run 100% iac duty during the anti-lag event, adjust the low throttle stop until you can build target boost, then re-tune idle control. If the turbo is massive, you might need to go to rotational idle.
It's really not that hard.

>what's your opinion on how antilag and two step affect turbo and engine longevity?
Be prepared to do exhaust valve stem seals more often, which is easy as fuck, and other than that don't fucking worry about it.

>Anti lag is mainly a rally thing that is a bitch to tune and install
It requires literally no hardware.
It can be done 100% with tuning.
Yeah, it's a real bitch alright....
Actually, most of the shit you typed is wrong as fuck.
Every con you posted about anti lag is wrong.
(OP)
Different things for different reasons, not mutually exclusive, you can have both.
2-step: Just a tool to build boost from a standing start.
"Anti-lag" : Comes in many forms. Good tuning makes anti-lag useful for transitions when drifting, because you have boost available instantly all the time. It's hard on your exhaust valves and exhaust valve seals. Your turbo itself doesn't give a shit.
Fuck no. Not even a little bit.
>Varying Geometry Turbo
Forget completely about this.
The OEM turbo from the SR20. You're a beginner, and presumably on a budget, so you'll want lots of midrange, a cheap setup, and very little lag. It's the best cheap option by far.
Yes. There are plenty of ways to circumvent this. Plenty of drift communities have common knowledge. Smog the car before you modify it, then figure out how to circumvent for next time. There's ways.
>I'm still learning, that's why I come to this thread, so pardon any ignorace
Then learn.
>inb4 get a supercharger, I don't want a super
Don't close off options before you fucking know anything.
Get a good standalone ecu...
>why don't just buy twin scroll turbo?
Expensive and unnecessary.
(EDIT) linked wrong post at the top before.

you've been so fucking helpful I can't thank you enough user

what's a good exhaust system?
any recommendations?

Tomei is one of the only cheap brands that makes quality parts.
They make a very good cast turbo manifold that will let you bolt up the SR20 turboto your KA24... Cast manifolds don't crack.
Use the stock downpipe elbow on the turbo... Stock cast elbows don't FUCKING CRACK from the SHIT WELDS on the vast majority of aftermarket exhaust.
Then you use whatever SR20 catback you want... I suggest finding a shop that will make you a test pipe to connect your elbow to the stock catback. Less noise, less cops. ESPECIALLY drifting on the street. Won't cost that much power.
Have a local shop fab you the intake and fmic piping, or buy the Greddy parts that bolt right the fuck up.

But more importantly - because you can't afford any of this shit yet... Save up for your 240 and buy it. Buy 4 of the little donut spare tires. Go practice drifting. The limit will be very low, the car will be very easy to handle, and you'll do lots of very good learning... Rather than sitting around on the computer dreaming about parts you can't afford yet, and being unable to handle them once they're on.

I learned on snow and ice, but if you don't have snow or ice available, the little pizza cutter spares, all aired up, are fucking awesome... They handle great on the stock suspension. You need a tougher suspension for real tires. Weld the diff. Ignore fucking idiots that tell you not to. Fuck tire wear. Drift all the time. Once you have real power, Achilles ATR sport tires are cheap as dog shit from SimpleTire... Drift on steelies. Have spares. Find a shop that will stick tires on for cheap... Better yet, a DIY shop that will rent you space and equipment by the hour. Those are a thing in many cities now. And unlike most dumb fucks, you will have the baseline experience and feel to handle the car with the power, and toss it around like it ain't no thing...

Pic unrelated