How does one go about choosing tires?

How does one go about choosing tires?

Other urls found in this thread:

autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-2017
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_road_network_size
youtube.com/watch?v=9F7XJNEH_qE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I suppose you read reviews and grip ratings.

Anyway, are the Toyo Proxes CF2 any good?
I have to buy new 205/45 R17 tyres.

>soft
>cheap
yip

I go to the store
I say I need tires
He says which ones
I say whatever's cheap

In the EU they're rated for wet grip, rolling resistance and noise, so you narrow it down to the cheapest tyres with a good balance and read some reviews.
Or be like my dad and go to the neighbourhood tyre shop and get whatever the hell they've got in stock and are trying to get rid of.

put a different tire on each wheel, go for a drive and choose which one you like

I bought pretty much on price alone. Turns out they are pretty damn good tires.

Put about 4500 miles on them so far, still no problems.

Google, it helps if you spell tyre not like a retard.
autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-2017

itt: A britbong forgets that there are countries outside of his precious caliphate

Don't worry, you'll conquer them one day, inshah'allah

It's not our fault your country is illiterate as well as broke.

And which country is that? :^)

Buy Sumitomo tires.

>buying all season
kys faggot

Find what size you want/need

See what is available through your tire dealers/websites

See what fits your budget

See which of the tires that fits your budget do the best in the tests that fit with your driving pattern and terrains

Buy tires

What's it like living in a area with shitty weather conditions and rust?

I got 265/65R17. While not a massive tyre one costs more than a years worth of insurance in my country so I shop off price.

THIS
I have the HTR P02s and they are fucking awesome

Ameriburger spotted.
All season tires = no season tires.
They are worse at everything, give me just one good reason to use all seasons.
Only reason to buy them is that you're not enough of a man to change tires two times a year.

>but it's warm as shit here all year

Then fuck off and buy proper tires for your climate already

Fuck off with your fake superiority complex

>Sumitomo
Doral are produced by them.

I live in Texas, we have flash floods, and flash ice storms. 100+ degree weather and sub zero weather. Droughts and 6 feet of snow.

All season is the easiest way to be prepared without having to change my tires every morning during season changes. Plus, dirt cheap.

This is what your posts look like when you have never tried proper winter tires in snowy conditions, ever.
Enjoy your road noise, premature wear, high rolling resistance and shitty breaking distance.

I can kind of get this since that is basically offroad use, especially if you are talking about m+s type of tires. But.. using all seasons in 6 feet of snow? American insurance rates suddenly makes a lot more sense.

>in 6 feet of snow
It's usually a sudden snow storm that lasts a week with most things shutdown and then its dry again till a few more storms pop up.

Starts snowing usually late October in North Texas. Usually drifts are 6 feet high. It's not too uncommon to have a storm end up like image related. Just not worth the extra money to have multiple sets of tires when you don't end up driving in the snow long enough for it to matter.

>insurance rates
Aren't most of our rates way cheaper outside of major cities?

I live in Texas too and I can run summers all year, what are you talking about? Summers have better dry grip and hydroplane resistance. The one day out of the year it actually gets 32° F you can just either not drive or take it real easy.

I'm North Texas. Not South Texas.

also
>round
is pretty good quality to have and also
>black
is probably good

Ah. It hasn't snowed in Austin in 6 years and the lowest we had last year was 28 without any precipitation.

Sometimes I forget just how stupidly massive Texas is.

I rep all seasons, all seasons. Never had an issue. And I live in northern Canada where it's winter 8 months of the year. How about learning to drive first

all season make sense on a 4x4
not on a subcompact

>size
>speed rating
>load rating
Everything else is irrelevant.

Really? Pls explain

>how stupid massive Texas is
Had an argument with someone about how shit our roads are sometimes compared to other entire countries.

They didn't understand we have 675,580 miles of road in just our state. Twice as much as the second largest state Cali. Hell Texas alone has more miles of road than all of Canada and nearly as much as Japan.

FWD shit boxes work well enough in the snow and ice. I'm not in the fucking mountains. Just heavy sudden snowfall a few times a year.

because they are generally all terrain

Not OP, but a tire question...

First time with directional tires, going to have my car jacked up for oil change anyways.. rotate, front to back? Or is it worth taking to a tire shop for rotation.. are they going to just go front to back, or actually take tire off the wheel and swap?

>222 countries listed as having roads
>Texas places 7th
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_road_network_size
Literally why?

other way round all terrain are generally all season because of deep profile
it's still better to buy proper winter tires if you live somewhere in the north with long winters
because their rubber compound is better suited for the cold

I always used Michelin tires they never let me down and good quality but Veeky Forums is too poor and will bitch about price

well yeah
i should have said they make *more* sense on a 4x4

I'm comfortable with my skills youtube.com/watch?v=9F7XJNEH_qE

Now post your driving with the all seasons.

Pro tip: you won't.

so i live in california where the only weather option is sunny, what kind of tires should i get? all season? summer? i'm just looking for tires for my DD, basically no spirited driving. is passanger tires a "category'?

All seasons are more like 3 seasons. They're perfectly fine for daily driving outside of winter and tend to have the highest wear rating and lowest rolling resistance

>without having to change my tires every morning during season changes
>he doesn't have air jacks and center lock wheels on his car
>he doesn't change his tires before every drive for optimum performance
stay mad plebfag

Centre lock wheels are usually torqued to 400+ ft-lbs, not something you can easily change out

Dumb frog poster

>implying someone that has air jacks won't have a pneumatic impact gun
lmao

All round or just rears?

>implying someone with a car with centrelocks won't be able to afford paying someone else to change the tires out for him

Getting some sweet Chinese "ultra high performance" all seasons put on for skids right now.

Because they do alright in pretty much any normal scenario, and won't kill you if there is a tiny bit of snow

They also tend to perform very strongly in the wet compared to the cheap/mid-tier summer tires, and wear out really slowly
Plus; they're usually very nicely priced

I wouldn't invest in winter tires if I saw/drove in snow for only 3-4 days per year, and during those drives the speeds are extremely low due to traffic and there is no ice beneath the snow or sharp acents/decents

Because they do alright in pretty much any normal scenario, and won't kill you if there is a tiny bit of snow

They also tend to perform very strongly in the wet compared to the cheap/mid-tier summer tires, and wear out really slowly
Plus; they're usually very nicely priced

I wouldn't invest in winter tires if I saw/drove in snow for only 3-4 days per year, and during those drives the speeds are extremely low due to traffic and there is no ice beneath the snow or sharp acents/decents

So please, don't try to sound like an elitist hardcore cunt just because you own two sets of tires and have barely enough brainpower to know how to swapping them. Its good that you have them because you probably need/make good use of them where you are, but don't make assumptions about the tires choices of an entire fucking continent

Summer tires

Hardcore elitist cunt here. Not even assuming. I spent a year in PA and drove to NY a lot, and I know that driving with all-seasons in snow is the rule and not the exception in states that have snow.
I actually had to order tires for the shitty E23 I had because they didn't even stock 15 inch winter tires at the local shop.

I like the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 as a budget option

I bought nankang tires for my Miata shitbox for $180 for 4 new tires...

Not bad overall. Too much grip in summer weather is a downside imo

Yes, I'd like the one that survived the crash

Back in business. Sentury UHP, made in Thailand

Michelin or Continental, they both came stock with my cars. Looked around for their offerings on summer and winter tires when it was time to change. Both of their offerings had a product that came as one of the best in the price/performance bracket in various reviews. Ive always been keen on value for money. 85€ is about the most I would pay for a single DD tyre.

>pick tire with ~200 tread wear
>avoid chink tires
wow so hard

>They make cheap tires under a different name

Is this supposed to be some kind of argument against Sumitomo?

Front to back.

>2nd largest
>California
Alaska, Texas, California, New Mexico. In that order. California is 3rd largest.

>alaska
>roads
Alaska only has like 12,000 miles of road. Re-read what I wrote.

Not state size, miles of road in the state.

You re read it. Not once did you say states with largest amount of roads.

>first post states Texas largest amount of roads with number
>states California is second largest right after this
This is a context user. You need to learn to read it. It's like you read largest and second, but completely skipped the topic of miles.

>888888
Can't get anymore confirmed than that.

Non native speaker here, You all a bunch of chuckle fucks. In the guy's defense....

>Had an argument with someone about how shit our roads are sometimes compared to other entire countries.
Bitches about CONDITION not quantity. Context is a Country vs. State comparison.
>They didn't understand we have 675,580 miles of road in just our state.
References roads per state, but never said that figure means the state with the most roads. This is where the first major fuck up was. Simply make the point that Texas has the most roads of any state at X miles. Or state that TX alone has somewhere close to 10% of the countries roads alone. Which would imply its got the most roads way more than just one number. Either way this enlarged scope of argument from single state to full on country. Its just a number, and taken as is here from the last statement its a Country vs. State turned Country vs. Country argument.
>Twice as much as the second largest state Cali. Hell Texas alone has more miles of road than all of Canada and nearly as much as Japan.
"Second largest state Cali." Largest is most often referring to a size than it is a quantity. From word association alone a vague context was implied here. If it was worded as "Twice as many miles than the next state, Cali. with X miles...." Any chance of misreading that would have gone.

repeating digits.

>texas has X miles
>twice as many as the second largest state
>the second largest state
>the second
Who does this imply is first then? I mean really, fucking read. If Texas has twice as many as the second largest miles of road, who is the largest?

As someone who you isn't a native, you need to learn context and reading comprehension.

>All Season tires have better milage rating and sometimes match their summer counterpart. like the BFGoodrich Comp2 A/S. Has better wear and performs just as good and costs less.

>Who does this imply is first then? I mean really, fucking read. If Texas has twice as many as the second largest miles of road, who is the largest?
The confusion is simply in what was meant by "largest state". Because Alaska isn't part of the lower 48, its often forgotten about and TX is commonly used as 1st largest, and California then gets bumped to 2nd.
The guy was simply saying Tx isn't the largest but was talking about physical size not miles of road. Assuming the guy thought Alaska was forgotten about, and Tx was being thought of as the first largest state. I'll reiterate the point made as well saying Largest is most often referring to a size than it is a quantity. "I want the largest steak you have. My dick is larger than yours." It doesn't imply a quantity is implies size. Size being physical land area not quantity of roads.

By referencing another large state, you are bringing in an image of large landmass and comparing how tightly packed roads are into any space. Saying you have twice as many roads packed into once space, compared to the second largest state (again as physical land area) it sounds more impressive. By bringing in other countries to compare miles of road to you again are creating an image of physical space and how dense the roads are.

>As someone who you isn't a native
>who you isn't a native
>who you isn't
I don't think I'm going to take advice from you any time soon. I'm also no the guy who misread that post. Just someone who can see where the mistake came from. Keep in mind many foreign speakers take words for a literal meaning. They understand context just fine. But the minute you use a word in a way that doesn't match it's literal meaning they will get confused.

damn.

I live in Commifornia. We only have Spring and Summer in the southland.

Good cheap summer tire recommendations?

Get the Michelin Energy Saver A/S

>A/S
ew

if you get taller and wider wheels do you have to adjust anything? won't the speedometer become inaccurate?

What would be the best cheap tires for my nissan pathfinder 255/70 R16? I need something thats gonna last awhile

Taller wheels will make it read slow, so you're going faster than your speedo says you are. If you go wider make sure the wheel's offset is right so it doesn't stick out too far or be too far in and hit the suspension.

Yes, I believe if you go +2 sizes above stock, you have to get the speedometer calibrated

>6ft of snow
I'm in Wisconsin. My county doesn't even average 4ft of snow over the course of the whole winter. I call bullshit.

>are they michelins?
>do they come in my size?

I live in Montana. We got snow last night and it was 91 degrees F literally last week. I mean seven days ago it was over 90 degrees. It's suppose to get back into the seventies tomorrow. I use all season tires

thank

>know your size
>know your budget
>know your needs (comfort, longevity, grip, etc.)

Refer to Both North Texas, both happen every year at least twice.

Yes - those are conditions would improve your performance, but when you see how low speed the traffic is when there is actual snow, and there generally not being ice its not weird that people stick with all-seasons. I've driven my RWD Merc on summer tires in slush and light snow, and although a bit slippery I still made it to where I needed to bet. Its nowhere near as good as winter tires, but if I lived some place where the snow didnt freeze, the pace of the traffic was slow and the area flat I probably wouldnt get them.

You made the smart choice for sure - having the best traction available is never wrong. Still; if you can safely keep the speed of the traffic with the tires they have then is there really a point to invest in dedicated winter tires for those who only see those winter conditions and nothing more?

He said drifts, not 6ft of actual snowfall

Conditions where winter tires would improve performance

Can your car even squeal the tires?

If the answers no then you buy the cheapest tires.

>Can your car even squeal the tires?
Any car can to that.
-t 1,0 L shitbox driver

Winter tires aren't just for snow.

All-seasons lose their grip in the cold.

In months where the average temperature is below 45 degrees in your area, you should be running winter tires.

I live in NC and we only see a handful or light snow days each winter, if that. I still run winter's from December 1 to March 1. Those are the only months with avg temps below 45. The rest of the year I run all seasons.

>make sure it fits the rims
>make sure it is a performance tyre from a known brand
>make sure it's not a semi slick or slick because I don't want to get bumped up a class at races
>make sure it can handle rain
>make sure it has lots of contact area
>make sure sidewalls are strong
>make sure it can last half a year of hard cornering and some skidz
and before buying
>make sure the reviews are good

The only tire I've ever used that would be good for "all-year" use is the Nokian WRG3 all-weather tire.

They came on a shitbox I bought in winter. With a bunch of weight added to my shitbox they got me through a harsh canadia winter as almost as good as winter tires. I'll be using them again this year to wear them out.

Huehuehue, you fill up at the Shell station across from the Lakewood Highschool don't you? I've seen you around a few times, also saw your ride in the bay at Discount Tire.

>I'm not stalking you, but you've been spotted by an user, friendo

I run hankook ventus evo pro v12 on my MRS on both track and street.
Sidewalls flex a bit but they grip well in dry and wet, have lasted the entire summer full of racing and they give you plenty of warning before all grip is gone.
They're good all around daily tyres. And about as cheap as you should go unless you're a normiefag suv cuck who gives 0 fucks about cars.

Most important:
>check timestamp code on sidewall
Sometimes they are several years old and look like new, but perform like old shit and blow up.
>brake them in
There is always mold release compound on them, just drive them carefully on the first 100 km since they don´t have the full grip yet.

CAfag here, coldest it gets here is maybe 40°F at night in the winter. What the fuck would I need winter and summer tires here?

I am fully aware of the advantages of winer tires - I happen to live a good bit north of you and run my own winter tires from late October to very late March/early May (when I take them off depends on how much snow we've had, how much is left on the road, forecast and so on)

I am not saying that you're being stupid for running winter tires - you're actually being real fucking smart and making sure that your vehicle is properly equipped. Heck, people here in Norway call me a bit stupid for bothering to spending nearly $1300 on winter tires alone when I could get cheapo ones for half of that

The point I am trying to make/question I am trying to raise is; does driving on all-seasons in your area actually mean that you are hindering/impeding traffic, or that you are possibly endangering your own and others life? I am fully aware that an all-season is FAR from optimal in snow no matter how little when you compare it to a winter tire - but is it so much that in your area its downright suicide or would you say that, in the context, its safe?

sounds to me like you should use summers all year round then?

First, decide the purpose of the tire.
>off road, winter/summer/all season/track
All season is what most people would use, perfect for an econobox. If it snows a lot then you probably want all season or summer plus winter tires

Second, do some research
>Read tire reviews online for hours on end
Tire rack does good comparison tests of all the tires they offer. I usually start there. A higher quality tire will offer more grip and therefore better stopping distance. More $$ != better tire necessarily.

>What is your budget?
Pick the best tire in your budget. Shop around; tire rack, discount tire direct, and local shops.