Plugged cat

Check engine light is on for this. Car stalls like once a month? Is there a way to clean out the converter. Are catalytic converter cleaners a meme? Is there a down side to getting a cheap catalytic converter ($50-100)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6qSMgj5_djE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If my chem knowledge holds the cat gets oxidized after a while and the cleaner just reduces it. Could be wrong tho.

>plugged cat

Just don't have one?

the cheaper you buy a cat the faster it will clog up and choke your engine.

Last option. Planning on buying a cheap one, but if happens and it goes out too fast, Im going to look into a straight pipe.
Would it reduce it enough to remove the issues though?

youtu.be/6qSMgj5_djE

Why do you need it? Are you in one of those states? My shitbox has one because its never had a problem. It's also kinda nice to be being good for the environment.

But my 300zx has no emissions equipment at all because all it does is waste power and brake and cause faults

I dont need it, but you have to go somewhere shady to get a straightpipe put on because you are supposed to have it. And Id prefer if my check engine light wasnt on.

Cleaning them is a meme. When they're done they're done. Cheap cats pretty much garbage. I spent $550 on a MAGNAFLOW (name brand) direct replacement cat for my Crown vic and it still failed in only 1 year. I got lucky enough to find a OEM brand new old stock cat on Ebay for a great price and haven't looked back since.

I would either try to find a proper OEM replacement at a decent price or just gut it. It's illegal to sell used cats, but you might be able to have someone "give" you cats from a wrecked car too.

Almost all aftermarket cats are physically inferior to OEM. You might be able to get away with using them, but they will not last. If you can't get OEM, I would just gut or remove the cats if you live in a state with no emissions.

Oh, and don't forget if you car is under 8 years old and 80,000 miles then you can get new cats for free from your dealer due to the federally required warranty.

There's that cat declogging shit you put in a tank of gas. Made a CEL for the cat disappear for my coworker. Stuff makes your exhaust smell like shit but it works.

>It's illegal to sell used cats
Still lots of them out there. Some mexicans were spotted in my city's community center parking lot stripping cats from under certain SUV vehicles. I guess the cats get sold to the body repair or other repair shops. In my city, a lot of those shops are owned and run by mexicans. You can get airbag and cat replacements at those body shops a bit cheaper....

Take off your muffler and redline the car until it blows the honeycomb out the back in fragments

>but you have to go somewhere shady to get a straightpipe put on

Unless your shit is rusted and needs a torch or Dremel to get off, or the cat is built into the header, then it's ridiculously easy to put on yourself - 4 to 6 bolts. Though, I realize not everyone lives in a spot where they can work on their car.

If it's a 'tuner' shitbox you can even get resonated test pipes for like $60 on ebay - they look like cats (mine is on the right in pic) so you could get any shop to do it. They sound good too.

Check your state laws. in WA state cars built after 2010 dont have to do emmissions so u can straight pioe that summbitch

>Car stalls like once a month?

Increase throttle and reduce angle of attack damnit

>so u can straight pioe that summbitch
That also means you cannot take the car to any place that can see the cat has been removed AND which might report you. WA State law does require shops to report certain things. For example, if a shop notices odometer fraud, it must report.

If I ran an oil change shop, I would take pictures of the car and then report the cat has been replaced by a pipe and the picture of the O2 sensor would probably show something strange. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

I wish. My car as a throttle position sensor. Tried a new one, but no matter where I set it, after 5 minutes of driving my idle drops to 500 rpm.

He didn't get it

Either punch out cat or go to a wreckers and get a used cat off a car with a bigger engine.

Try some Cataclean aka paint thinner. It might work for a month or two. Otherwise you gotta take the cat off and clean it or gut it.

>it still failed in only 1 year.
That's because it was probably a chinese counterfeit. Even good chinese brands have multiple other chinese counterfeiters copying their product.

a clogged cat is a bad thing. it'll kill your mpg because the engine will always run in open loop. what car? what code? p0420? buy an oem one if it's a decent car and/or you're gonna keep it a long time. get a cheap one if it's a beat up shitbox.

>he hasn't removed the cat yet
Pleb

>Are catalytic converter cleaners a meme?
Never heard of flushing cats with paint thinner to clean them as being a legit repair method. If it worked for someone, then he's one of those rare odd situation.

If you're going to remove the cat to clean it, you might as well just replace the cat. Used cats, especially stolen ones, become replacement parts at many small shops, but in my state, you're supposed to have new ones installed. Due to the consumer protection law that requires a shop to return your replaced bad parts to you, you can get your bad cat back. A shop cannot charge extra to return parts and the advertised price is the price with the parts returned to you. That prevents the shops from scamming the law by automatically saying all prices are where we keep all parts. Since your cat is bad, there is no scam. But some shops like to say "your cat is bad" and they might give you a used cat salvaged from other customers if it fits your car. So keeping the allegedly bad cat (that was actually still good) can stop them from reselling your used cat to someone else.