Is it just me or do modern cars suck?

Is it just me or do modern cars suck?

Other urls found in this thread:

nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they're the best they've ever been when it comes to performance and mpg. The designs just suck.

i guess they are superior if you hate the overall experience of driving

This, but also they're increasingly being designed to handhold and take away from the driving experience.

Cars might be getting better, but they're definitely getting worse as well.

Also they look overstyled and edgy.

name that sedan! is it the new LS500? Maybe the Q70? Kia? Genesis? It could be any of them.

That must be an Axura RLX.

It's just you

>they're increasingly being designed to handhold and take away from the driving experience

i dont understand modern car design at all.

the 2012-2016 sonic is actually a decent looking car, and then the 2017 comes along and its edgy af.

i dont get it

The MX5 is the minority and you know it.

So were most cars in the past as well. Don't be a delusional idiot and think that a '92 Corolla was a fun car

MX5-chan has a l-lewd face...

duh, new cars are the best!
i once had the misfortune of driving an old car which did not have lane departure warning, rear camera or park assist. and it's interior was not designed around an ipad. the steering wheel gave me feedback from the road and hurt my delicate hands. it felt dangerous driving a predominately steel vehicle. it was very loud and gave me temporary ptsd.

But it was

This.

I feel as if most people here haven't driven a new car for more than 5 minutes

Most here don't even have a license.

You could do that to any generation of cars pretty much.

>Comparing a roadster to a compact

Alright then, stop pretending modern cars are great because the Prius is a piece of shit. Everyone would agree, unless you're this guy who sounds about 60.

The point is that fun cars are fun, regardless of generation. Whining that something like a modern full size sedans doesn't have driver feel is stupid because even a 30 year old full size sedan would have been a boat
Same thing for econoboxes, etc

Not really. The cars in your picture suck though.

I would agree, but I do go along with the feeling that with all the electronic nanny stuff in modern cars and the ridiculous infotainment stuff it takes away from the driving experience. Cars are great now for normies who commute 30 miles each way and can be nannyed and insulated from the driving experience, but for drivers who like to drive I think something is being lost. Not all of us can afford a 911R if we want a pure driving experience, so we're stuck with older cars.

But it was, faggot.

New cars are awesome, you just can't afford any of them, so you pretend they're all shit.

WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME

Consequence I suppose of all needing to be aerodynamic.

keep saying that in your nu-car that's emasculated by economy aerodynamics and pedestrian saftey unlike the raw power chad plows of before

>euro plates
>on jap car
>pic clearly taken in Banff

lol what the fuck

>grand tourers aren't allowed go tour grandly

>i'll btfo of him by using a soulless blob of brown metal with a grill stolen from someones chain-link fence but its got a lexus emblem and price tag so you know its good

k

This actually is the superior engineering solution.
It will allow for independent 4 wheel steering, braking, torque and bring about a revolution in corning performance

The ND is the closest I have felt to running in the 90's again. All other jap cars right now are so padded, softened and insulated that they are a chore to drive.

Rage your Dream

It's got the grille stolen right off the VFII Chevy SS

>I can't afford it

Save yourself carpel tunnel next time, sperglord.

Counterpoint, the FRS exists as a drivers experience but people here still shitpost about it. Same with the Miata

Hell even if you want an econobox with driver feel Mazda has you covered. Their infotainment is also really good at the same time, you should try it

Consumers are spoiled for choice in whatever category they want a car. But when people here can barely afford a $3k Civic of course they're going to bitch about new cars being shit
Fox meet grapes

I hope the FRS inspires other makes to enter that market segment. There's a lot of room to do things a bit better (or just differently) and it is fundamentally a car centered around getting the driver experience right.

Felt like I damn near caught air zooming out from a lane closure on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway last night. That was a new one. I was a little worried how it would handle a road that's sometimes like somebody paved a rally-X course. Definitely a car that needs to be flogged a bit to shine.

Yes,because i cannot afford one.
I also don't like the design of most modern cars.

Those are some of the sexiest fucking sedans in the world.

Exterior-wise it blows Lexus the fuck out IMO. Acura looks more beautiful than they ever have.

to rant for a bit, i think carmakers have forgotten what made cars fun to drive in a lot of ways. at some point in the mid-90s they decided to make cars very boring and uninspired. to me, what makes a car fun is how feedback feels through the wheel, pedals and seat. i want to feel the car vibrate, i want to feel it when i drive over a little rock, i want to feel it when my tires begin losing grip. that's what makes driving fun to me, even if i'm driving an underpowered shitbox. audi for example used to make small, light, sporty cars. the B3(1988-1992) Audi 90 was a fun little car no matter the trim. the quattro made the car feel glued to the road, the 5spd manual had really short 1st and 2nd gears for quick acceleration to 60, and there was lots of feedback through the wheels and pedals. the suspension was stiff enough to let you know when you were losing grip and the engine was loud enough to tell you when to shift. when i bought my 1991 90 the first thing i did was upgrade the suspension, brakes, steering rack and poly bushings and drivetrain mounts. it made the car feel completely different from stock. the thing would vibrate and rattle just sitting there idling, and i could feel every crack and pebble that i drove over. it wasn't comfortable of course, but at least it was never boring. i'd drive it for 100s of miles just for fun. i miss that car.

new audis are completely numb. there's almost zero driver feedback whatsoever. i don't know what audi is thinking. i'd never buy a new A4. i wouldn't even buy a 20 year old A4. they are just boring, shitty cars. i'd buy '92 S4 in a fucking heartbeat though. too bad there are none around

New Audis are luxury cars, not rattle boxes. Their sales reflect this

Go buy a Mazda if you want an econobox driver's car

cars are designed to be disposable. that's the bottom line. these electric steering pumps and water pumps? who's going to make them when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting an older model? more "analog" cars of yesterday were easier for aftermarket companies to support, now who's going to do it? some shady chinese company whose shit won't even last a fraction of the oem?

Damn you're stupid. Modern cars have been lasting longer and longer with less maintenance

What about analog equipment? Who's gonna make those replacements when the manufacturer stops and interests dies down?
And it's not like cars haven't had electrics for longer than you've been alive. Go find a replace idle air controller for a 4-AGE at a fair price, I dare you

>electric waterpump

tell me you arent serious

>a part for a niche car from the 90s is hard to find
just stfu

>niche 90s car
More like an engine that was in plenty of meme machines in the 80s that still has a very strong following today

>muh AE86
>muh MR2
>muh tofu

>New Audis are luxury cars

But they aint, at least not the previous generation. Go drive any Audi and then drive an equivalent MB, the interiors might be nice in both, but the Audi will feel stiff and bumpy in comparison. Can’t comment on the actual high-end models like the A8 however.

I'm the one person on Veeky Forums who agrees with you. Modern cars have no style, no personality, no semblance of comfort, and no choice of individual options to really make it yours. They're overloaded with so many fucking gadgets that they may as well drive themselves by now. The only things they do better are gas mileage and safety, which shouldn't even matter if you're financially fit and, you know, actually know how to fucking drive. I'd take a 1980s shitbox over a 2010s anything any day of the week. Sure the older car will be slower, but being in a hurry is what causes a good amount of crashes. Sure it won't be as safe, but if I die while driving, at least I'll die having fun. Sure it might not be as reliable, but at least I can fucking fix it myself when it breaks down.

They can run faster in stop and go traffic where heat is an issue and slower at highway speeds where ram air can do a lot of cooling

Less parasitic draw on the engine and more control over cooling, just like what electric radiator fans have been doing for decades

Mercedes' new straight 6 engines are going to have a single fat 48 volt alternator and all of the accessories are going to be electric

>drives a lower end Audi
>wonders why it isn't all that luxurious

Coupes and sports cars are niche by definition

Yet that engine was a souped up econobox engine that was produced in the millions

that's the stupidest fucking shit though. maybe 1hp gain from the less parasitic draw of a mechanical pump. it's not like we're in the fucking 70s where engines are dogshit slow

>A4 and A6
>low end

Perhaps, but its still inferior to its competition.

The thing I like about new shitboxes is that even base models have most of the stuff you need in a car, but also shit you don’t.

Less complication is always a good thing. A single generator/starter motor mounted on the crank is all this engine needs to power everything in the car, and with much greater control. Things can be made far more modular, and since it's a 48 volt system that means less amps needed to spin those accessories

Your next line is "what if those electrics fail?"
They hardly ever do, stuff like wires are far more resilient than a belt that needs to be changed frequently

After all, do you hear horror stories about how fail prone the electric steering in the NSX and S2000 are? Or how they drain the fun out of driving? No? Thought so

When the competition is Mercedes, sure. Compare them to BMW and tell me who's nicer
>$40k X1
>still has manually adjusted seats

The mind boggles

less complication are buzzwords for cheaper crap. it's more environmentally friendly to use plastic electric shit that fails faster than its mechanical water pump but don't tell the plebs that it's also cheaper than a mechanical part

the nsx and s2000 have hydraulic steering

>backup camera
>tire pressure monitor
>stability control
>5 bazillion other safety features
>phone connectivity
>automatic transmission
>power locks, windows, mirrors
>"""things you need"""
People got along fine for decades without any of that shit. Why all of a sudden do we need these things?

>golden age of muscle cars is happening again
>golden age of JDM is coming back

Yeah man, these modern cars suck so much.

i get the advances in vehicle stability control systems, that's the one thing that's most notable about a modern car versus and older car everything else is just bullshit

Are you telling me that dozens of moving parts in sync with each other all bolted to an engine block and mechanically driven by a wear prone belt is a far more reliable setup than individual components that won't kill all of the other components if they fail?

>idler pulley snaps
>takes out your water pump,power steering, AC, alternator
>stuck in traffic with an overheating car, boiling interior, steering heavier than a manual rack, and a draining battery

>muscle cars
>JDM
>implying people care about that shit
There's a reason why they went away in the first place.

>the nsx and s2000 have hydraulic steering

if the belt fails it won't fucking kill anything, it's an accessory belt. you'll lose power steering, a/c, and your engine is going to overheat, but if you're not retarded it won't kill anything

Auto journalists say the current Prius has the best handling yet.

>>implying people care about that shit
so why does the Mustang and GT86 for example sell so fucking ridiculously well worldwide?

>what is hydraulic with electric boost

>engine overheats in traffic
>blow a gasket and fuck up the head
Or you know, just stop in this and push your car

>The NSX is was the only fully electronic rack in production until it was also put in the S2000
nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm

only a retard would want to keep driving if the car is overheating.
>but what about the other drivers?! they'll think somethings wrong with my precious car i'll be soo embarrassed if i don't act like nothing is wrong
enjoy paying for that new engine special snowflake

Something Honda didn't use

I wouldn't really call that a reliable system

At least with an electric system if something like your AC compressor fails you won't loose engine cooling or power steering
Not to mention no belts or idler/tension pulleys

That's the very definition of more reliable

>but what about the other drivers?! they'll think somethings wrong with my precious car i'll be soo embarrassed if i don't act like nothing is wrong
You must live in a fly over state and never had to push a dead car through traffic like that

yeah when i lose power steering and my engine is overheating, i know something just failed. what about the electric water pump? oh that light that i must've missed when it went out telling me that the car is overheating i completely missed that entirely because i was livestreaming to twitch while driving and only noticed when the engine died completely

>X1

Way to choose their most "luxurious" model. Bmw still manages to be more sportier and handle better though.

are you fucking scared to use a phone to speak with an actual human being?

>that light that i must've missed when it went out telling me that the car is overheating
This is how I know you haven't driven anything made in the last 10 years. Cars have giant fucking screens and warning sounds now

>At least with my old car I know something is wrong when everything goes to shit
Jesus fuck go be a retard somewhere else

automatic porsche, what a fucking cuck

Yeah must be fun waiting literal hours for a tow truck to show up while drivers threaten to skull fuck your mother

PDK is pretty good

go be schizophrenic somewhere else schizo boy

You're thinking of Cadillac. Modern BMWs don't handle nice at all, they've been too busy chasing Mercedes

>autocuck is unironically pretending his pseudomanual is good

But I though those cars were well handling and had good feedback! Were the memes wrong?

t. bus rider

>useless shit that will break and cost hundreds/thousands to repair

Because the average new car costs something like $35k and people like nice things

All of the stuff he mentioned doesn't really break. The most failure prone thing I've seen are power windows, and even then those aren't all that often and the part that breaks is the same part in manual windows

Nigger even a Civic has power seats

of course they suck, they're all turbocharged

I see you too have visited /k/

>muh manual autism

god what a miserable place
I'm getting antsy and impatient just looking at this picture

>eco turbos everywhere
>"sport mode"
I just test drove a 2017 Civic Si with an amazing 205 hp. The clutch pedal may as well have been an on off switch to say nothing of its lack of usable power. and Sport Mode may as well have been like one of those light switch ebay tuner mods.

>lack of usable power
>makes boatloads of torque throughout the entire rev range
>the basic bitch 1.5T with a CVT making 170bhp is faster than the old Si making 205bhp

I believe you

It's a boring ass car

Is it boring because it isn't on the verge of falling apart?

because you got the 1.5t and a cvt. should've just went with the 2.0 and a 6mt

lol no you didn't

None of it is needed. They're convenience features that started out as luxury options before economies of scale made the inclusion of them cheaper generation after generation.

You're basically bitching about the remote for your tv being included in the box.