Toyota files trademark for "Celica" name

thedrive.com/sheetmetal/14353/toyota-files-for-a-trademark-on-celica

Would Toyota revive the Celica and add it to its sportscar lineup in addition to the upcoming Supra, current GT86, and the speculated MR2?

What would it be? FWD, RWD, AWD? 2 door only or will it be a 3 door hatch?

if they make a new celica at all (unlikely), it will be an underpowered FWD successor to the scion tc. I wouldn't get too excited

This. Honestly, I don't understand why they killed the tC instead of rebadging it as the Celica tC.

I swear to god toyota, get it right just this once make a celica comeback with a 350hp turbo charged I 4, 5 speed manual, and rwd

>350hp turbo charged I 4
this won't happen without an astronomical pricetag. The only company doing this atm is Mercedes. I could see them doing 250 HP< especially with their new 2.0L Turbo. Maybe 280 HP if you're lucky, but 350 is out of the question. Go fantasize somewhere else.

The Celica is supposed to be an affordable sports coupe. You can't have a car with 350hp 4 cylinder and be affordable to the masses.

it's possible they'll sell the 4 cylinder turbo version of the new supra as a "Celica".

how about 300 or a little below, just please god don't let it be another toyobaru

>Supra was originally an offshoot of the Celica that became its own model
>Now the Celica is returning, but as an offshoot of the Supra
Now that would be funny

Toyota DOES have a 2.0L turbo they can use. You'll find it in the Lexus NX, and Lexus IS.
Highest output at the moment is 243 HP. expecting them to bump it to 300 HP is too much to expect from Toyota.
250 HP? Definitely.
270? Maybe if they wanna get into a horsepower war with the Ecotec turbo Camaro

a 270hp turbo celica better be lighter than a camaro. I really hope toyota does good by the celica name. it'll probably be a crossover or something but I can dream

They must've wanted some time to develop an actual new product, since that gen tC had been out for 6 years at that point and was due for a refresh that was probably in limbo with the date of Scion being decided at that point.

>date
Fate

pls be
>3 door
>awd
>220+ hp

Chrysler trademarked the Barracuda name like 2 or 3 years ago and nothing came of it.

If they want to beat the Civic Type-R they'll bump it to 300hp.

>implying the Celica will ever have over 200hp in current toyota.

It'll have a Corolla engine and be slightly lighter than a Corolla, and the majority of them will probably be CVT.

Doing so would require a new cylinder head, among other changes.
Too big an investment for too small a return.
I'll expect an aftermarket ready 250 HP 2.0L turbo FWD coupe, AWD if we're lucky. and let the aftermarket take care of everything else.

honestly, a stripped down rwd corolla coupe would be an honest successor to the celica

Celica's have always been slow glorified economy sports cars. They were never that spectacular as people have made them out to be.

It wasn't until the introduction of the GT-Four/All-Trac versions that people cared about them, which cost well over $40,000 with inflation.

It's going to be a 2 door carolla

With an IRS where the Corolla has a twist beam rear axle.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

They had the chance to do it with the 86, and instead they decided to give the fucking camry 300 HP

Get a Corolla iM, then it has double wishbone rear

Well the Corolla iM chares it's chassis with the tC so...

>scion tc
>scion toyota celica
Oh fuck

Why do you people think the new Celica will ever have over 200hp when the new Supra has only 240hp? Big jokes

.....the new Supra will at least have 335 with one of it's trims since it's going to be driven by BMW's B58 engine...

The st185 celica had 205 hp in 91 and could hit 500 by removing restrictions and upping the boost
If they go with a replacement for their rally Yaris it would be monster

That trim is only under the BMW brand as the Z4.

The only supra option is the turbo 4banger.

The supra is strictly 6 cylinders you dolt

I'm fucking calling it. The 2019 MY 86 will be renamed to the Celica.

The A90 (?) Supra will then be released, and shortly after, the W40 MR2 will be released, and Toyota will be on top again. This will usher in a 2nd Japanese golden age, as Mazda is in the process of creating a new rotary sports car.

Maybe Mitsubishi will enter the game again. I'd hope for a 3000GT successor, as the Eclipse strikes me as kind of lame (and it's a crossover now lol)

It's gonna have a Lexus v6 dummy

Nah senpai, celica needs tarbo 4banger, meme headlights and 4wd

God, let us hope.

Also, if like suggested doesn't come true, and we actually get a new Celica, that would be awesome if it got the 8AR-FTS. The MR2 W40 could share this engine, kind of like how the All-Trac/GT-Four and the SW20 Turbo shared the 3S-GTE and E153 transmision.

I completely agree, and I hope I am wrong. I do not like the current 86, mainly because I FUCKING HATE SUBARU

What's the betting it'll be a hybrid or electric

Please no

Mitsubishi is out of the game permanently for the foreseeable future.
>but why?
Because Carlos Ghosn is there now.

On the other hand, Nissan may enter the ring. The new CEO of Nissan wants to Nismo everything and even has plans for a Nismo minivan.

280 hp, 5 speed rwd,
BUT
Its pigfat and fugly

who the fuck is going to buy a 40k celica? 350hp? turbo? you're all retarded

I assume it will be like the last generation celica:
>FWD I4
>AWD turbo option