Emissions aside, what's wrong with electric cars?

Emissions aside, what's wrong with electric cars?
Could it be you guys are just afraid of change?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/an-electric-ferrari-with-a-manual-gearbox-is-strangely-1797836219
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescreen
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're gay.

Well, they're gay. And I also have nowhere to plug one in to leave it on charge like some stupid phone or whatever (also gay).

They're gay

If I had a garage to charge it in I'd be all for an electric, but I don't.

They refuse to make vroom vroom sounds.
Just like cyclists.
So they do not belong on roads.
Just like cyclists.

They gay as fuck

So how about in the near future when petrol cars are banned and chargers are everywhere because everyone has one then what?

What's wrong? Emissions.
It's the biggest problem and you can't ignore that. Hydrogen based cars will be the future.

Well, the batteries they run on are highly toxic to mine and environmentally destructive to dispose of, with limited lifespans and high cost associations in general. They're a band-aid solution, not a permanent fix.

On a personal level...I like having 3 pedals and shifting. It makes driving more fun for me. Electric cars don't offer this.

1. They're overpriced. The base Model 3 is NOT comparable in terms of features to a $35k fully loaded Honda or base BMW. And that base Model 3 has the lowest range possible.
2. Aside from Teslas, all electric cars/hybrids are designed to look like cuck mobiles. Small, narrow wheels and yuro hatch styling. Awful.
3. The range and charging time IS a factor for everyone who doesn't live in a city center who just drives to get groceries. I drive 6 miles (20 min) to work but I still semi regularly drive 4-5 hours east to the beach, 1 hr 45 min west to the lake, or 3-5 hrs north to the mountains. I don't want to plan all my leisure time around my car. I just want to hit the road and go. So if you're not using the car for road trips, you're spending $35-100k on a city driving grocery getter. Why?

It doesn't make logical sense for families. Maybe for a rich person who just wants a cool gadget or to virtue signal. Anyone else? Nah.

Overpriced and horribly inefficient. Weak as shit for anyone other than a 40+ year old mother.

Also, they're gay

Won't be in the near future. Maybe in more rural countries in Europe but not in places like America.

Lol no
I have to go 2 towns over to get gas and every time it rains heavily power and internet goes out

Literally every argument in this thread can be fixed with improvements in technology
Fossilfuel-fags BTFO!

>hurrucane or similar fucks up power grid
>can't charge a tesla without a 220v cord
>generators typically cant supply that

Eventually your governments will make the effort and make it mandatory you either charge your vehicle or take the bus. Actually you're probably stuck with the bus since i have doubts your governments nor the corporations will actually bother getting charging stations for your town.

Try evacuate in an electric car from Hurricane Jeb.

This.
Not everyone has a bit of land they can use as a power dock.
Hell, most people here don't even have a bit of land to park their cars at all, everyone parks on the street because there is nowhere else.

Also range.
How far can you get one of these things?
What are you supposed to do if you can't charge it once you get where you need to go?
Yeah. Nice idea.
But has a ton of flaws to work out and potential traps to avoid.

And until all that shit is circumvented or solved in some way electric cars will remain nothing more than a curiosity.
Basically this without the pointless dickwaving.

We had this talk a few days ago.
See: Your hydrogen-based cars are even more shitty at the moment than purely electric vehicles.

The problem I see with electric vehicles is that they may be more fuel efficient as the electricity can be produced with renewable energies or in ways that are more efficient than internal combustion but if you take the whole production process into account, including the batteries, they are at least as damaging to the environment as combustion engines. Politicians just wank off to the thought of having less air pollution in the city while the air pollution just transfers to other regions. Also they are too expensive at the moment. Call me as soon as I can get an electric shitbox for 500€.

Should have been clearer on the damages argument: Excluding emissions we are still talking about immense use of resources.
Also they lack the emotional aspect that dragged 90% of the guys here into cars and are as much of a pleasure to work on. If the manufacturers (Tesla and small manufacturers aside) stopped designing them like utter futuristic piles of shit that would be a step forward.

Unless the car can be fully charged or battery swapped very cheaply in under 5 minutes (comparable to filling a huge gas tank with a slooooooow pump) electric cars can fuck themselves. Even a full charge in half an hour is way too long for anyone who actually has an interesting life.

It is comparable to a 28k car which is where it's at after rebates sooooo

As of right now and probably for the next 10-20 years, every single one of them weighs way too much. I don't care about muscle cars. I want a track car. There's no such thing as a production vehicle that's electric and even slightly fun on the track.

no A E S T H E T I C

I don't want to drive a computer someone stuffed a million AAA batteries into an stuck some wheels onto, I want to drive a horse-drawn carriage minus horse plus tank of highly volatile, explosive liquid and a solid steel rube goldberg machine that turns explosions into spins.

1. Charging infrastructure as-is is dogshit. Most people I know with one only charge it at work. It's either that or they have a garage and they've set up a 220/240V charger inside.

So either you have a cushy job where they set up masses of EV chargers or you own a house. Most people are not in those categories.

2. Charge time. It's still a problem relative to gasoline engines.

3. Energy density. The Chevy Sonic is ~3000 pounds. The Chevy Bolt EV is ~3600 pounds. More work needs to go into weight reduction. Lithium-ion technology is a huge jump over earlier generations but it's still not as ridiculously energy-dense as gasoline. Lithium-air will probably get us to where we need to go but that is still in development.

I think those are the three real criticisms of electric cars. This is obviously a bait post but EV is still in development and will take some time to be viable.

Also, I'm personally also waiting on transmissions to come to EVs. Most EVs right now run out of steam quickly as you get to highway speeds because they don't have extra gears. Even two gears would go a long way with electric motors.

They're fucking gay.

For me, it has less to do with the technology than where that technology is leading the automotive industry as a whole. The automotive industry is becoming more like the computer industry and the computer industry thinks it knows what's better for you than you do.

The rebates are gone, faggot. And I just explained why it's NOT comparable in terms of utility.

Nobody buying a model 3 now will get a rebate. Also

>Relying on gibsmedat to be competitive

It won't last forever. Norway nixed the tax rebate and they stopped selling.

>generators cant normally supply 220v
apparently you've never seen a half decent generator before

>Emissions aside, what's wrong with electric cars?

Not a lot, it's mainly the fact they are vastly worse for the environment than an ICE car per passenger mile that puts me off. Unless you look at something like the Twizzy then they have the problems associated with being a quadracycle like mustang equaling 2 star levels of passenger safety.

>can be fixed
Then OP's fucking question should have been "What will you guys have against electric cars in xx years, when the problems associated with can be fixed?".

Well when technology catches up with the younger technology of ICE people will happily switch until then it's going to remain hipster spunk jockeys who buy them to go with the macbook and cigma vape pens.

> Lack of range
> Lack of noise
> Long charge time for some fucker to unplug them or steal/cut the cable.

There where more electric cars sold in June than Diesel and petrol cars here in Norway.

Bet there will be a punk-ish subculture of people who still run their cars with ice despite heavy regulation, paying a significant part of their salary in taxes just to continue experiencing the emotion of ICEs.

When a thread like this comes up, and the hate comments roll in, I was wonder how many of those hateful comments come from kids who live in flyover states that serve little to no purpose in America.

That being said i love ICE and I hope it'll be here for a long time.

t. coastie cuck

Aside older models with broken traction control electric cars are boring. Also they cost a fortune in canada. A base model s cost like 90k plus tip.

I have no fucking clue what you guys are on about when you say emotion. Electric cars can be fun, Teslafags just fucking ruin everything.

i just bought a new phone and the battery life was super sweet for like a week and then it started to turn shitty and that's why i don't like electric cars

I didn't say EVs don't have emotion, it's just another deal. First off the sound is different, the styling in most EVs is almost exclusively modern (they're modern cars, duh), they are packed with electronics and an EV with quirks or glitches is shit while it can be called character in cars with ICE. A pre-2000 car will always have another charm than a modern EV. Not saying that cars like the NIO EP9 don't have character or charm.

jalopnik.com/an-electric-ferrari-with-a-manual-gearbox-is-strangely-1797836219

I think the issue people have with EVs is that manufacturers are trying to make them something entirely different from ICE. It would be amazing to drive something like an electric Toyota 86 without traction control and 2-3 gears on a manual transmission.

>using a gas generator to power your electric car
H Y P O C R I T E

Electric is fine, it's the Orwellian nightmare that is unequivocally packaged with it.

What about this is so hard to understand?

Inextricably*

I love my ICE, bro but that argument is dumb as fuck. A hurricane literally just caused a gas shortage in Texas and electric fags were the only ones not scrabbling for fuel.

>shortage for a couple of days
It's nothing.jpg

Electrifying the road is the plain solution to a problem that has never existed (electricity is the easiest and fastest resource to transport).

Lobbyst won't make that happen and we are looking foward to fill the cars with heavy metals in order to carry the power with us (so there exist a market)

And if the shortage doesn't end after a few days? You can not want an electric car and still recognize that they have some advantages. Your ICE privileges won't be revoked.

My man!
How about something like an Evo or an STI with electronic motors? The ability to precisely apply torque and have it applied instantly in connection with an awesome awd system would be amazing.

>A hurricane literally just caused a gas shortage in Texas

No, the rere squad filling trash cans and 600 gallon tanks is what caused a gas shortage.

Also this.
Thank your government for not allowing """price gouging""" which then forces shortages.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the reason is not the immense cost of ripping apart all streets to place cables under it. If we had that life would be great but even if every country had the money to do that it would take decades to build all necessary structures.

saging a shitnigger thread

Make a hot hatch-esque one that:

>Doesn't require a garage to charge or has batteries that can easily be swapped
>Has plenty of charging stations, especially in rural areas
>Has an interior that is not fucking shit. Seriously, most of the interiors on electric cars are garbage, especially in their price range, even including rebates.
>Performance relative to a hot hatch

Then I might get one. Also, on a more personal note, I'm convinced Musk is a scam artist and I hope that comes true.

The interior a crap because they have to make it lighter and people will buy just for being electric anyway

Fueling/charging can be a problem for both vehicles given a natural disaster. You don't base your entire life of what could happen in a natural disaster do you? If somebody really is an electric fan, they can buy a 2k shitbox and stash it for said hurricane.

That being said, electric cars are more inconvenient than ICE, worse for the environment, less durable and reliable long term, cost more to own/maintain long term, and are essentially disposable pieces of tech equipment. They'll have to make leaps and bounds of progess in battery improvements and infrastructure before they could even hold a candle to ICE convenience.

On the flip side, I think they're a great addition to the market, gives people an alternative option and I think they are kind of cool. However, the most troubling thing about them is not their faults, but the megalomaniac spearheader of the electric market, Elon Musk, his vision to end ICE and private ownership of vehicles, and every electric owner bowing to his will to end ICE. Their smugness is over an inferior piece of machinery is pretty baffling and equally annoying.

>convinced musk is a scam artist

lol good luck. almost every time he comes out and says 'we're building this!' he eventually comes out with a functional product.

also, why does everyone want swappable batteries? you're talking about something that weighs over 1,000 lbs. it's unrealistic. they're not swappable for the same reason that an F1 engine is a load-bearing part of the chassis. it makes more sense to fully integrate it into the structure because of the constraints placed on the design than it does to try to make it more modular and sacrifice a lot of the utility for no real benefits.

>Could it be you guys are just afraid of change?
Yeah. That's it.

They cost more than regular cars.
Overall maintenance probably gonna cost more than regular car, battery loses its effectiveness

im afraid that government owned energy companies are going to inflate energy prices once electric cars become standard in 30 years. the sole reason governments are pushing electric cars is not because global warming. its because they dont want to rely/ pay for middle eastern oil and the costs that come with it. soon youll be giving your money to a company that runs your house and your car. protip: invest in energy companes now because their profits are gonna skyrocket once gas is abolished.

Most people buy them because theyre cheaper than filling up gas.
However I dont see how thats going to stay this way when everyone has electric. Super charger station will probably charge as much as now, simply because they can.

The benefit would be that people wouldn't have to wait 30 minutes to 3 hours to have a "refill" but some minute like they are used to. For most people the time needed for a full recharge is the heaviest argument against EVs.

>I'm convinced Musk is a scam artist
What makes you think that? The fact Tesla is a ponzi scheme where the pre order money from the 3 was used to make Ss for existing customers or the fact they had to issue junk bonds to cover it up?

>governments losing out on all that $/gal from gasoline
US taxes on it are incredibly small compared to europoor countries...expect some sort of kWh tax to make prices comparable again to gasoline fill ups LMAO.

All of the above, plus
>We need more money
>Let's release more stocks!
>His stock prices increase dramatically.

I agree in its entirely.

I understand that, but It's a reason why I don't want EV.

then you'd be trading off instant torque, silent operation, minimal moving parts, lower center of gravity, ease of operation, minimal supporting structure, just for a quick refill.

the best part of this, is this argument comes from people who seemingly would never be in the market for an electric car for all of those reasons.

i don't know, i don't get the idea of the 'i need a 5 minute refill' in today's world. if anything, during a roadtrip it would be great to have an excuse to get out of the car and walk around for 30 minutes to 3 hours, but that's subjective.

>expect some sort of kWh tax to make prices comparable again to gasoline fill ups LMAO.

Thats what Im thinking. Right now its still a way too small market. And its only reason to get in (for europe) is the cheap charging.

However Im sure they will all get fucked in the ass with the charge prices when electric cars are the norm.

>tesla is a ponzi scheme where the pre order money from the 3 was used to make Ss

a ponzi scheme is one that doesn't bear fruit. what you're talking about is actually a risky investment because it worked out in the end.

Range and charge time.

Also super fucking gay

>electric cars are more inconvenient than ICE
nonsense
>worse for the environment
nonsense
>less durable and reliable long term
nonsense
>cost more to own/maintain long term
nonsense
>and are essentially disposable pieces of tech equipment
nonsense

>They'll have to make leaps and bounds of progess in battery improvements and infrastructure before they could even hold a candle to ICE convenience.
For what 95% of road vehicles are used for EVs are more convenient. They have a full charge every morning and require little regular maintenance.

It's emasculating to drive one and bring as much joy as getting a used fridge from Craigslist.

Also, how is mining tons of lithium cleaner than ICE, most modern ICE are PZEV rated or close to it. Diesel today are cleaner than EVs. Hell, United States found ways to make diesel from corn.

Yeah, nonsense is a logical counter argument.

EVs are good for commuting a small distance, typically work, and thats literally it. They are shit for anything that deviates from the daily routine. Need to travel to a city 3 hours away for sone reason? Nope. Need to run errands all day? Nope. Roadtrip? Nope.

Like I said, they make sense for small dedicated purposes but every EV owner will have to use a gas car at some point because life is not limited to work and back home.

I don't trust the reliability of EVs. They aren't more practical or efficient to own over a conventional car/truck. It would be more efficient for brands to make small europe-tier hatches than to trust shitty EVs with toxic batteries for environmental reasons. The most successful "green" car is the Toyota Prius and that's because its a fucking Toyota. The cost of owning an EV needs to come down more than just the MPGe, and until then a Prius is far superior in every way as a greener car. Too much technology in that vehicle that everyday mechanics won't fuck with.

3 hours away is about 200 miles, that's doable with a modern electric car.

and if you run errands all day, you're doing what, maybe 70 miles?

and with roadtrips, this one is subjective but when you stop off do you just hop out, fuel up, and hop back in then take off? if so, you're doing a road trip wrong. you stop off at an interesting location, chill, walk around, inspect the sites, then leave.

the only thing that EVs aren't good for is long distance commercial transportation

Everything you mention is done by many EV owners every day.

Running errands all day in Texas for me ends up being 150-200 miles.

All of those things hinge on a 200 mile range, quit pushing this meme, EVs rarely get that mileage. You'd be risking getting stranded going that far on one charge. And charging is not as available or fast as fueling. You seriously risk getting stranded on any sort of road trip.

of course "car enthusiasts" think that the average Joe Shmoe needs 30000 miles of range. Open your eyes, morons. EVs great.

>"so besides the main reason they're bad aside, what's really not to like?"

I guess you're right OP, it's totally my fault that I'm unable to look past the fact that it is an ineffective solution (if not directly a much worse replacement) for the problem it claims to solve

They are not very quick to recharge, and almost all quick charge features shorten battery lifespan. And the batteries themselves cost almost as much as a new car to replace.

Then you have the jewey stuff regarding performance and such. it's not like engines, where how you make the engine determines performance- what tesla has started is literally "on disc DLC" of the car world. to up performance you pay the dealer to 'unlock" a feature already on your car.

also, making lithium ion batteries is anything but "green".

basically, we need to stop meming the idea that they are anything other than a rich person's toy

This speaks more to the need for safe, clean, and effective public transit than it does for EVs.

They're just boring as hell to drive. I won't even rationalize it through other means, I'll just out right admit that I think they're boring. I just feel nothing while driving them, both literally and figuratively. That may be perfect for some people but it just isn't for me.

It'd be better to create infrastructure for public transport rather than for EVs

I don't like cars without clutch pedals

does you car have a choke, user? if it doesn't you don't drive a REAL car.

Both would be nice too. It just infuriates me when people over state how much the vast majority need to drive each day. 1/200 commutes is over 50 miles one way.

It has an electronic choke

They're not fun
If I just wanted transportation then I'd buy a bus pass.

nice autotragic choke, then. you're not an enthusiast at all, are you? I bet you don't even have a spark advance lever in that modern abomination.

Good point.
It is scary how ready to accept telescreens normies are.

why is it scary

why is it bad that I want a bigger screen in my car. Makes the UI less of an ass to use, and it looks better. would take it over knobs any day

>literally zero actual advantages over ice only disadvantages(weight,range,takes hour to charge etc.) it will take at least 10 years iron them out [spoiler]if they ever gonna be ironed out[/spoiler]
>need 6 gorillion neetbucks of investment to be at least half of viable alternative to ice it claims to be[spoiler]all of that money will come fom your taxes :^)[/spoiler]
>all car manufacturers invest R&D money into EVs instead of affordable sports cars,off-roaders etc.
>not economically viable,EV need subsidies to survive pic related
>people that push them(hipsters,leftist,sjw,environmentalists,corrupt politicians) hate cars/car culture and are probably cyclists as well
>no light sports EV,no off-roader EV
Why wouldn't i hate them?They stand against everything i like/belive in as libertarian and a car guy,fuck em!
Except it isn't the point,dumbass!It's not about "if i will" it's about"if i can"!I CAN go on the road trip from London to Beijing on my pile of shit 2006 lada niva i CAN'T on tesla model x!
Pretty much this.Normies never actually need a car except maybe then they need to drive their wives sons to disneyland!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescreen
>Telescreens are fictional devices which operate as both televisions and security cameras.

>It is scary how ready to accept telescreens normies are.
Dude you have no idea.Monitors in computer class at my inu are COVERED head to toe in fingerprint smudges despite the fact they are asus 720p monitors from 2006!

>be me yesterday
>driving home from carshow/golf in my corvette
>in freeway going normal 85
>cars in front suddenly swerving wtf.png
>see a chevy bolt doing 53mph in a 70mph zone
>pull up behind him flashing my lights at his dumb ass for nearly killing people for muh eMPGs
>pull up next to him and give a nasty 140db 6900rpm rev right at his window
>get in front of him and speed off
>everyoneclapping.gif

God these climate fags truly are willing to fuck over everyone to save a moldy plant in montana.

B&B bullets are the loudest "mufflers" you can buy for a corvette. Basically straight pipe with 3 inch mufflers on a 440ci LSX is loud as fuck

and you wonder why people hate gearheads, shithead

Everyone going a normal speed/flow of traffic and some faggot hyper miler is nearly causing everyone to crash off the freeway because going way under the speed limit.
This is as dangerous as someone going 110mph with everyone else going 85.

>I have no where to charge it and leave it charged like a phone.

That's why they come with adapters. And they also charge with the electric motor it has.

Remote pollution is still pollution.

You electric cucks are just terrified over how Mazda will wreck your ass soon