Modern car designs

I'd dare to say that more than 95% of people I know are either scared of working on their own car or simply not interested in getting their hands dirty.
Are manufacturers really that insecure about losing that 5% of shills that are willing to fuck up as high as possible their design?
I'm sure we'll get to the point that using a spare wheel requires to call a Certified Technician™ for the job.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610212008144
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wouldn't even want to work on my car with all that VVT, emissions and electronic bullshit. Don't worry, the people who are even remotely interested in working on their own car already own old shitboxes.

>I'm sure we'll get to the point that using a spare wheel requires to call a Certified Technician™ for the job.
I bet you most normies don't know how to change a flat tire. They'll call their insurance company for a tow instead. Makes me wonder why they even bother including spare tires in modern vehicles anymore.

Actually they don't anymore lol. The spare wheels are becoming an optional and you get by default that flimsy foam you have to inject into the tire for "weight reasons"

ITT: Scotty Kilmer

Fuck off faggots. Maybe things are like this in America but in Europe basic maintenance know-howis required for a driving licence. Even my english teacher used to be able to change her timing belt herself while incapable of plugging her laptop to a projector.

no it isn't. all you need to know is how to provide cpr. that's it. european driving schools don't teach you anything about car maintenance. the difference is in the cultures. europeans take care of their things, and respect things that belong to others. that's the major difference. a lot of americans don't have this concept of respecting other people's property, and wouldn't give a shit about anything they would possess because they'll just "get" someone else's shit to replace it

You act as if I can control the fact that my country is filled with dumbasses who don't know a monkey wrench from a monkey's ass. I'd love for American driving to be more like Europe, where diesels and manual transmissions are commonplace. Except I don't like that thing you do where you get a restricted license if you can't drive manual, that's bullshit. I can drive stick shift by myself, but if someone is with me I stall at every intersection. With a driving instructor in the car I probably would forget to put the clutch in to start.

>know is how to provide cpr
No such requirement exists in America. But I do agree on the whole "Americans don't take care of their things and don't care about other people's things" mentality. It's a shame, because some of these people could actually be contributing something to society and yet they're conspiring on how to get more for themselves.

My point was "stop acting like you're the chosen people for caring about your car and willing to do stuff yourself", not shit on people.
>diesel
No. Diesel engines are a mistake, except for trucks, van, lorries and other heavy vehicle. Gross pollution, no devving at all, dull driving, it's a fucking shore to drive diesel and don't let any shill tell you otherwise.

No it isn't. All I was thought at driving school about maintenance was that if the car feels in anyway off I should go as soon as possible to a mechanic.

Don't know where you live but I know nothing about CPR. Only the bare minimum in case of emergency like laying someone on his side if unconscious, using bandages in case of hemorrhages and so on. You have duty to help in case of a crash but also to leave the medicine to the medboys.

DPF is a mistake, it's single handedly killing diesel engines. It holds PM10 back just to burn it into PM2.5 later which is even more dangerous.

What are you on nigger? Diesel is much more comfortable to drive
>it will literally move on its own, no need to rev to 3k just to get it moving unlike a civic
>2k RPM doing 130km/h on the autobahn
>modern diesels do 1000km on one tank
>more torks than you can handle
you probably hate diesel because you drive a civic and need to rev to 6k to feel fast

You cuck I'm in France, and I've driven more dieselshit than you probably have. It's mindnumbing. You don't have to rev, because you cannot rev at all. 4KRPM redline. Torque, and Diesel engines, are only useful on work vehicles like vans, trucks, semis. Also the mileage is only decent on the highway, god forbid you drive in a city, otherwise both your mileage and valves are fucked.

In driving school we at least learned the minimum. Checking and refilling fluids, jumpstarting the car when battery's dead, diagnosing blown head gasket, simple but useful stuff.

No you haven't, I drive garbage trucks for a living

>VVT being complex
Toyota style VVT is fucking simple unit at the end of (usually) the intake camshaft, a oil feed line in the head/block and a solenoid.

VVL systems on the other hand can get somewhat complex.

>garbage trucks
I meant cars, not utilitary vehicles. Diesel is a logical choice for this kind of heavy vehicle.

Really the bare minimum I was told: how to fill up your tires with air, how to tell if the tire is evenly worn out, the most hardcore was checking the oil level.

>implying i don't daily a diesel E36

VTEC has been a stupidly simple and reliable system for the last 30 years

Go and test drive a gasoline E36. You'll see what I mean.

diesel cars are for short shifting cucks who are scared to rev an engine
if you really need that torque and steady output for heavy moving like trucks (semis for the obese among us), excavators or cranes then fair enough but driving a diesel car is downright retarded

Do you like to show how brainwashed are you on gasoline? I bet you can also justify barely doing 400 miles on a full tank.

Its for the moon and back

You need wheel torque, not engine torque.
Your wheel torque depends on your gear ratio, a 1,0L na gas engine can produce more torque at the wheels than a 2.0 turbocharged diesel, if geared shorter than the diesel.

You can also reverse than and make a diesel go fast with a longer transmission.

Usually the manufacturer gives the diesel engine a longer transmission since it needs it to go a decent speed, therefore the torque at the wheels is usually pretty much the same.

The benefit of diesel engines is the higher efficiency, but they have issues with power/weight ratio, emissions and clogged DPF when not driven on the highway.
So they are used when a engine is run at a constantly high load, while gas engines don´t have these problems.

The new HCCI engines, wich are coming up right now, will put a end to diesel engines since they are more efficient and don´t need a DPF to meet emissions.

>emissions
Oh no, all those NOx emission that get reduced to nitrates and fertilize the soil are killing the planet!

No one cares about the planet, they care if they need to settle lawsuits because polluting vehicles are causing cancer.

>NOx emission that get reduced to nitrates and fertilize the soil are killing the planet!
They are not killing the planet, they are causing cancer.

Lol NOx doesn't cause cancer, it triggers asthma in some people, but really is only an issue in densely populated smog prone cities

>live in rural Canada
>people drive diesels with emission systems deleted
>air is still clean as fuck
>government doesn't do shit

Sucks for the people living in rural parts of the US and stuff that lost their TDIs

>really is only an issue in densely populated smog prone cities
It is a issue whereever people live and many diesel cars drive.

Good thing hardly anyone drove diesel vehicles in the first place in North America

Gasoline pollute less but since they get shittier gas mileage proportionally they pollute more.
It's the grams CO2 / km that really counts since 1 liter of fuel has only a fixed amount of CO2 it's able to release.

Modern diesels are pretty good with CO2 emissions, no worse than gassers. It's the NOx emissions that have everyone's panties in a knot

People will whine about them causing cancer while eating foods filled with chemicals like hormones, preservatives, and pesticides

>1 liter of fuel has only a fixed amount of CO2 it's able to release
Actualy 1 L of diesel contains more carbon than 1 L of gas, resulting in a higher co2 emission per L

But co2 is not dangerous upt to about 5 %vol.
NOx on the other hand is dangerous even at low concentrations.

Diesels where always better with CO2 emissions since they used significantly less fuel.
(Lupo 3L used 3L per 100km)

NOx isn't dangerous it gets broken down naturally into nitrates

If it gets precipitated, the danger is when it's airborne which you can safely assume is most of the time.

It is harmfull to humans before it gets broken down.

It's harmful to asthmatics

>But I do agree on the whole "Americans don't take care of their things and don't care about other people's things" mentality.

Lots of americans take care of their things and have positive attitudes towards other peoples' property. But america is also full of criminals that just life day to day on social welfare. They can't get educated in normal schools as kids because they get kicked out of school for chronic violence, chronic crime, knifing, stabbing, selling drugs to other kids at school, etc. Those kids get shipped to special schools for violent or criminal kids in hopes they can still get an education, but they still drop out due to chronic bad behaviour.

I can guarantee you than non of those wastes of lives had father figures and were raised by single mothers on welfare and child support

All the idea for VVT is just a solenoid, oil pressure, and a few trickery lines and holes and ducts.

Modern valve timing and lift is mostly done through a wiring and ECU mess for no reason.

The ECU controlls the solenoid, how else should that work?

Fun fact: If you are stranded in the middle of nowhere and your car is incapable of moving and your cell phone reception is dead, burning your spare tire will generate black smoke that can be seen in the sky for miles and will burn very slowly as well.

So even if normies lost the knowledge of how to change a flat tire, a spare tire could be used as a life-saving emergency flare.

Just don't breathe that shit if one day you are forced to burn a spare tire to get help from authorities.

>muh mileage
Just get a Prius then and be done with it

Thanks for the tip.

Not him, but I can do up to 1000 km (625 miles) on a tank with my gas powered car.
The tank is 35 L (9 gallons)

A Lupo 3L (one of the most efficient diesel cars) is supposed to be about 0,5L/100km better, but costs more taxes and does not fit modern emissions standards.

If I was some faggot who bought brand new cars I would be terrified to work on them. Some newer nissans will fuck you up if you try to change anything without an IBM headquarter's-worth of machines.

Have you seen engine bays lately? It's painfully obvious that the manufacturer doesn't want anyone "non-certified" working on their cars.

>mfw cheap 2000s car
>still 90s tech
>NA DOHC port injected inline engine with cable throttle and variable intake valve timing
>no unnessersary plastic
>no electronic aids
>free space in engine bay
>just works

Fun fact:
They still produce the same platform with the same engine and just a facelift today.

>But I do agree on the whole "Americans don't take care of their things and don't care about other people's things" mentality. It's a shame, because some of these people could actually be contributing something to society and yet they're conspiring on how to get more for themselves.

Number one, what does respecting other people's things have to do with contributing to society? Wouldn't somebody who's a materialistic "more for themselves" type appreciate respecting other people's shit because they wouldn't want people fucking with all the shit they're trying to garner? Number two, what stops people from contributing to society and trying to get more for themselves? If a guy goes to school and becomes an engineer because he wants more money and nice things and also designs the uncollapsable bridge, isn't he doing both? Fuck me you sound like a Californian.

Engine vacuum is clearly the answer.

To be fair, that is just as complex as ECU controlled, also VVT is more about RPM, not about load alone.
That means you would need some additional centrifugal controlling device for it to work properly.
And these fail a lot more than ECUs and solenoids.

>but if someone is with me I stall at every intersection. With a driving instructor in the car I probably would forget to put the clutch in to start
lol what
You might as well admit you can't drive standard then until you fix that shit

I was doing my best to take the piss out of a period in time where basically every rudimentary attempt at engine management was vacuum referenced, got lost in translation I suppose. Kudos on understanding engine vacuum as a way to gauge engine load, though- 90% of Veeky Forums can't figure that doozy out.

I´m a hypermiler, engine vacuum is one of the best indicators to find the sweetspot if you don´t have VVL ore exessive lean burn.
>mfw 80 mpg

Yeah I had a grandfather with a '68 Chevy truck he drove solely by vacuum gauge no matter what the speed limit was. I just don't understand you hypermiler types. Seems like the sort of thing a guy who's really really into Microsoft Excel would do if he were also a car guy.

>I just don't understand you hypermiler types
I´m a poorfag engineering student/Pizza delivery guy, I get 15 cent per km additionaly to 8,50€/h (I pay no taxes) and fuel is 1,30-1,40€/L.
Every liter of fuel I save is 1,30-1,40€ in my pocket, since I drive verry much, that adds up. (100km/day at least)
I make about 3-5€ extra per woring day and am not slower than anyone else.

At this point I don´t even need a vacuum gauge anymore to get as close as possible to maximum vacuum.

If I would work 20 days per month that would be 60-100€/month free of taxes directly into my pocket only from hypermiling at my work.
Regular commute not included.

>€

Well no wonder you're so poor, they're paying your ass in Monopoly money. In all seriousness that explains a lot if it's for practical purposes. I know some fuckers out there that actually choose to hypermile for fun.

Sidenote;
>engineering student
What's your discipline? And are you man enough to take the PE exam?

fucker

> I know some fuckers out there that actually choose to hypermile for fun.
So did I before working as a pizza delivery guy since legal wangan would have killed my engine pretty fast...
>400 rpm before rev limiter
>for 30 minutes straight

>What's your discipline? And are you man enough to take the PE exam?
I am a mechanical engineering student and don´t have my bachelors degree yet, so I did not choose a discipline yet.
But it is most like ly gonna be one of the following (translation might be inaccurate)
>Aerospace
>vehicle technology
>industrial combustion

Also:
If the fuel price rises much further I will start delivering with my bike, I´ll fabricate the required rack out of aluminium sheet metal and rivets or fiber glass sandwich for low weight...

>mfw i live in baltimore not even a mile from where this picture was taken and i see it all the time

All that wind will cool the food down unless you have some sort of enclosed box?

The Pizza is in a heated bag, wich will be placed in a box.
It won´t cool down.

Tell me your secrets senpai
I managed to get up to 26.8 km/l in my Focus 1.8 diesel (the old TDDI model without any DPF crap) but I can't break the 30 km/l figure.
I'm also a poor engineer student (EE) but I don't work and for me gas < public transportation but every penny counts.

1L naturaly aspirated 3-cylinder gas engine, slightly rised tire pressure and a OBDII adapter to measure vacuum.

For Diesel engines it is a bit more tricky, since you don´t have the vacuum as a load indicator, so you need another load indicator.
If you can read out the injection or any other load indicator, you might be able to work with that and drive it on the lowest fuel injection per combustion in a certain gear.
If not get a brake specific fuel consumption chart like pic realted and figure out where your engine is most efficient.
But don´t just run it where it is most efficient, rather run it below that since the aerodynamic drag kills your fuel effiency pretty fast.

Usualy the ideal speed on highways for best fuel consumtion is around 75-80 km/h for most cars.
A bit slower on the uphill, a bit faster on the downhill.

Other techniques you should consider:
>engine off coasting
Shutting down your engine when coasting down a descent, restart it with the clutch.
(brake booster works only a few times after engine is shut down, use E-brake to slow down and keep the brake booster as a reserve)
>driving without brakes
Not litteraly, but drive in a way that does not require you to brake above 30 km/h, instead keep distance and slow down early
>heating the car
Don´t use theater untill your engine has reached operating temperature.

Some easy mods:
>Power steering delete
It uses power=fuel and manual steering is a good workout when you are a delivery driver like me.
I pulled the fuse...
>grill block
A winter mod to reach operating temperature more early and improove winter fuel consumption.
Sometimes it has aerodynamic benefits as well...
BUT WATCH THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE!!!
>remove unnessesary weight
Keep your car empty, don´t leave stuff in it.
>slightly worn tires
Less tread=less flex=less resistance

Also:
Use the bike more often, it does not need any fuel and little maintainance while beeing faster than the bus.

>mfw i live in baltimore not even a mile from where this picture was taken and i see it all the time
Oh? They regularly trash non-police cars for the fun of it? Or just during weekly protest marches?

Use carpooling apps to get other people to drive with you on longer distances, since they usually pay you more than your fuel on the trip is worth, drive like 100 km/h.
Keep your engine well maintained, only a decently maintained engine will be efficient.
Keep a eye on the air filter, since that affects efficiency on a diesel.

A few other tipps to save money:
Look for rust underneath the car once in a while, use a wire brush (2€) to remove it and use metal paint (5-10€) to repaint these spots.
A rusted out subframe/suspension/chassis is the end for your car.
Change the oil yourself and do it a bit more early than the manufaturer says, the oil breaks down over time and creates some black deposits everywhere, bus especialy in the head.
This stuff can get into oil feed lines and block them.
The manufacturer just cares for your car to not break down while under waranty, what happens after that does not matter for him.
Look for carbon deposits on the intake valves, all types of direct injection (gas and diesel) have issues with that.
Clean them if nessesary.

In my car the power steering pump is driven by the engine, I don't understand how it shuts off by pulling the fuse, the parasitic load persists anyway. I'm thinking about blocking the grill, something about going 50% horizontal coverage.

Also I'm researching about the effect fuel passing through magnetic fields, apparently it can slightly increase efficiency due to change in the molecular structure of the fuel itself. Might be a cool experiment to do, neomydium magnets are pretty cheap to get.
Here's an article about it: sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610212008144 however it's possible that in 4-strokes engines the effect might be less dramatic than 14%.

ITT: luddites

>hydraulic power steering
There are other ways to shut that down, just look it up, my car had electronic power steering wich worked kind of different.
If I remember correctly you have to
>Use shorter betlt to disconect P/S pump
>disconect the tubing
>reconect tubing, so that each component is a loop on its own
That is to prevent the fluid from leaking and Dirt getting in the system.

>magnetic fields on fuel
That does litteraly nothing, it is just snake oil.

You'd have to change the racks otherwise powerless hydraulic power steering is stupidly heavy. Heavier than a manual rack

Free workout...

>In my car the power steering pump is driven by the engine, I don't understand how it shuts off by pulling the fuse, the parasitic load persists anyway
If you don't remove all the hardware, your car will be carrying all that extra power steering rack weight as well. In my opinion, the safety benefit of power steering outweighs the mpg loss. I'd sure hate to try dodging an errant freeway driver or distracted city driver with only manual steering.

The other problem is your own driver reflexes if you don't have all your cars with manual steering. It's good to have your unthinking reflexes tuned to just power steering or manual steering. Mixing and matching different steering types makes it more difficult to have automatic quick reactions as if the car was part of your body.

I did, you need to rev it to death to move, it's annoying and loud for a commutebox
base model, that is

Go to Paris or Berlin or London and you will see why diesel fumes are annoying

My car steers fine with a dead pump(it's a hydraulic pump powered by a dedicated alternator, basically) I quite like the heavy steering because it feels like a truck

>the all smog comes from diesels meme

Diesel are easy to blame, all the metric tons of coal they burn hour-to-hour just behind don't ever count apparently. Let's assume tomorrow all cars have gone electric, booboo-diesel is gone forever. Now what, how can they pump enough electricity for a +100% demand increase? Burn more coal which makes diesel look like flowers in comparison.

>coal
But only filthy germans and english"men" use coal

Newer cars have so much documentation its actually fairly simple to work on them. My first vehicle was a 88 F150 and the only documentation readily available was your father or grandfathers lessons on how to nigger rig shit.

And a gorillian sensors that tell you exactly what's wrong instead of a vague ticking noise

I knew an old dude like him.
>worked at a mercedes dealership for 20 years
>then worked at a private german car place until he retired
>drives around an old 190e with a manual tranny he swapped in from Deutschland
If anyone's seen things go to shit it's these old dudes. They know whats up. Guy started working in the 70s and quit in the 10s.

Cars are just as easy to work on as they ever were. You just have to follow along with the factory service manual. You can find those online easy.

Its not all win win. The more sensors means the more things you have to maintain. A sensor goes bad and it could fuck up anything like your air and fuel mixture and like that you went from 30mpg to 13mpg. And most people would never know to go buy a $30 scanner and it'll even tell you if a sensor is bad. Instead they take it to a mechanic and get scammed into a $600 valve train job.

>A sensor goes bad and it could fuck up anything like your air and fuel mixture and like that you went from 30mpg to 13mpg
Lol no, there's plenty of redundancy built into new cars. A sensor goes bad and it'll just guesstimate using an O2 sensor, that goes bad too and it uses a default map

You'd have to be a complete and utter moron driving the same car for like 30 years barely doing any maintenance for most of those redundancies to fail

I've had the engine light for over 2 years cause of the oxygen sensor. I just check that the code is the same every once in a while and delete the code.

Just clean the sensor next time you're under the car for whatever maintenance

>Newer cars have so much documentation its actually fairly simple to work on them.
No one at the dealership has leaked the chebby data yet for the 2016 next generation model. I'll have to make do or maybe have to subscribe to the online data from Autozone's sister company.