How old were you when you bought your first car?

How old were you when you bought your first car?

Not when you had your first car (ie. given by parents etc), but when you actually bought one yourself

for me it was when I was 26 last year and I got one of these

15, bought a 2001 subaru 2.5rs

I bought my 05 GTO at 19

13, bought a 2001 subaru 2.5rs

how are these things?

are Australian cars legit or a meme?

Fucking checked.
There lots of fun, but the price is rising quickly if your interested.

It has a been a great car to me. Im 26 now and i still have it. Just reaching 200k now, i got it at around 70k. Its a little expensive to fix here in the states because parts are harder to come by, but only parts that kept breaking were the driveshaft carrier bearing and radiator. Both were upgraded to better parts and havent had issues since.
Idk if aussie cars are even popular enough to be a meme but Im happy with my redneck monaro.

Bought this 1987 Celica when I was 18, cost me $500 and I sold it for $1000 a year later when I bought this 240sx.

Ah, the memories.

12yr. (I'm 24 now).

There was a pretty rotted 83/84 944 for sale near me that needed a fuel pump and a slew of other work to get it running again. The guy was asking 1250$.

I mowed the fuck out of every lawn I could find in my tiny area and only came up with 840$. My uncle being awesome gave me the rest and we worked on getting it running the next full year after that.

Had a '94 GMC 1500 I bought from my brother at 19. Traded it for a '82 Camaro with a 350 swap. Sold that to pay for my first AW11. Each step was a step up in my opinion.

I bought my first car for £500.
1984 Vauxhall Astra 1.3 'Special Edition' whatever the fuck that means.
>pic related, except blue

Notable features:
>aftermarket 'racing' seats that some dude had put in
>unique combined cooling and lubrication system, which I was later informed was a cracked head gasket. I drove it anyway. fucks given; 0
>rubber door trim came loose and thrashed around like a demented octopus when driving. pulled off and threw in bin
>the alarm system was a homebuilt thing operated by a simple barrel lock under the steering column. it was awkward enough that I regularly failed to deactivate it before it went off
>front offside wing panel had detached and flapped around in the breeze. I pop riveted it to the plastic mudguard. fucks given; still 0
>handbrake would occaisionally not engage and end up with the handle in your armpit. repeated attempts usually worked. potluck controls were interesting
>when cornering at speed the leaning would press the front brake on the outside of the corner closed, which tried to drag you out of the corner. terrifying

I had that thing for 18 months before I got tired of the bullshit.

7, bought a 2001 subaru 2.5rs

$700 for this when i was 18, 1990 formula firebird. Id been wanting a car for a while but no one was really helping me achieve that goal. Finally found this for 1.5k and figured i could do it. I was wanting something that stood out, like older vettes, chevelles, etc. and wasnt planning on buying this when i went to see it. All that changed when he lifted the hood and i got to see my first v8 start up and run.

Almost died quite a few times in this, it eventually got destroyed by an suv driven by a teen even younger than me. Her parents were in the back and immediately BS'ed the fuck out of it. The cop talked to them for like 5 mins, and then talked to me for less than a minute before he left. Big surprise that the official report is the exact opposite of what actually happened. My car wouldnt of done a 180 and been facing the opposite direction if what they had said happened had actually happened. Found out after that my insurance had dropped me a day or two before and i hadnt gotten the letter yet. By the time id gotten the letter from their insurance saying i owed 7k, i was all packed and ready to skip town. Fuck paying someone 7k to total my car. At least i learned my lesson about accidents, BS the fucking hell out of it and dont trust the cops.

>when cornering at speed the leaning would press the front brake on the outside of the corner closed, which tried to drag you out of the corner. terrifying
That is Christine tier horror.
How did you keep yourself together enough to drive it for 18 months?

>BS the fucking hell out of it and dont trust the cops

You mean spend $100 on a dash cam?

never thought of a dash cam back then. The new city im in has one of the highest auto related deaths per year, consistently, so now ive got one. Almost got killed by an idiot shooting from a side road straight onto the highway. Meaning he drove in a straight line onto the on ramp, ignoring other cars and shit. Realizing he had to turn to actually get onto the highway, he tried to do a sharp 90* turn at at least 30mph. I had another firebird at the time and the brakes on those are pr shit for hard stops. Almost slammed into him doing 50+. After that i got a cam. pic is the view from the side road he was on when he decided to shoot onto the highway in front of me

18 when I got my 95 miat (w/ torsen!) for 2,200 in '08. It had 170k miles and was fucked from hurricane Katrina. Busted water pump, exhaust had a complete shear in the midpipe, torn roof, alternator held on by one bolt (lol), cracked belts, moldy interior, cracked taillights, etc.. I gave it a minor rebuild that winter and restored it over several years.

This fucker's got 230k miles (I DD'd a wrangler for a few years), has seen over 20 hours of wide-open track time, done hundreds of burnouts, and gets redlined nearly every day but is strong as fuck (given what it is...) to this day. I have zero intention of ever selling it - I've had it just over 9 years and I love it more now than ever. That said I do want a mid-00s Forester XT or Legacy GT for a DD at some point.

Pic from two nights ago.

>be me
>yes me
>16 at time
>buy car vw polo
>its green
>no licence,insurance
>manual
>first time driving wid bros
>smokin weed
>tag on my ankle gotta be home at 8pm
>cant drive for shit changing gears
>khuuuurrrrrrrr
>gears change sucsess
>oh wiat
>7:49
>3 miles from home
>HEAVY traffic
>change gear
>khurrrrrrrrrpow
>tfw Gears broke stuck on gear 2
>slowing down at red light
>green
>push on the gass
>mfw 7:59
>jet to home
>make it
>never drive again

3 month ago, age 22. Bought my first own car for £1k.
I wanted to spend as much as £10k cash on it but decided to get a shitbox and learn to drive in it first. Even if I crash it I won't regret it.

You push the clutch in, change gear, let clutch out and accelerate. How hard can it be?

fc rx7 at 19

it was actually one of those. a 2004 WRX 6 months ago

though I am 27

stock, red, 56k miles. paid $9600

did I dun goofed?

I probably did over pay for it but it was the cleanest stock one I could find. only issues were the paint isnt the best and has some carpark wounds and had chink tires just so they could say 'new tires fitted' in the ad.

I also learnt how to drive stick in it lmao

>I also learnt how to drive stick in it lmao
Don't you have to learn it to pass a driving test in first place?

Bought a 1993 Mazda MX-3 when I was 16, nothing special but my favorite non-fast car to date.

18 bought a Honda civic 02 for 3k in 2013
22 financed Nissan murano 09 for 14k
23 bought your car 2005 wrx for 4k

Bull fucking shit you bought an 05 GTO with 70k at 19 with your own money. 7 years ago that car was worth more than $15,000.

Parents giving you money so you can buy it doesn't count.

Bought a shitty little Honda Civic sedan for $700. It's a downgrade from the Type-R I used to own before but at least I saved up for it

Was 22, still 22 but a wiser 22 now. Bought a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant with more than its fair share of issues for $2k. Still love it now, but I'd buy something in better condition if I could do it over again.

18 (its the legal driving age here).

how do you not drive better on weed? am i the only one that can drive and shift better on dank buds?

A mixture of willful ignorance, cautious cornering, and lack of any other options.
Was p. glad to ditch it for a swedish land barge t bh.

33, just this year in fact. Up til now I've been driving a truck my parents help me buy back in college. Still have it, just needs some work done.

20, I busteed my ass working at walmart for three summers between college to buy my first truck

>got first vehicle given to me (top picture)
>uncle traded it for a gun (lol)
>painted it, did some other work, sold it, made a few thousand in profit
>paid uncle back, paid for second vehicle (red truck) in cash at 19.
>just got the WS6 at 22

woops meant 17

>be me, 15yo
>/g/entooman, among other things
>read just about all tech sites
>AMD was working on Zen and Vega but were at rock bottom
>Some tech papers leak, AMD makes promising claims
>Use profit from bitcoin the rear before ($1200) to invest in AMD stock
>later sell and make several times my investment
>Buy a $6k E30
>thank you based Lisa Su

19, '03 is300 sportcross, 4800 cash

>b&
what WM and distro on thinkpad?

Not a car but I got my motorcycle (my first vehicle bought by myself) when I was 23.

$500 1988 Jaguar XJ6. British Racing Green.
Sold it a few months later for a phat profit.

>Bought her when I was 17
>$600
>Only 2 issues
>Clutch master cylinder
>Bald tires
>Favorite car I've driven
>1 year anniversary Sept 21

17, one week before my 18th birthday
00 olds intrigue

bought this for 2k when I was 16. The grocery store around here hires kids at 15. Even only working weekends it didn't take that long to save it up since I had no expenses.
1984 Trans Am, 350 swapped in, TH350 swaped in, factory posi, edelbrock 600 carb, headers, shift kit. When I had it I did a cam and holley intake. The interior was complete trash, so I put in 4th gen seats.
>mfw vacum leaks everywhere
>no working heater
>always bald ass tires
>aways smell like exhaust
>can barely afford gas let alone insurance
>grenaded the poor tired ass 350, sold the car for parts after a couple years

These cars arent worth 15k here. I paid 12k for mine. I saved 4k and took out the rest with a personal loan at a bank at like 15% interest cause I was a dumb kid. I still have the car though so no regrets.

1990 Civic Si when I was 23.

18, first $1600 saved up from first job bought 98 passat v6 5speed with 225k miles. Best car ive had to date

1986 Honda Prelude Si for $2500

worked since i was 13 bought it for cheap when i was 16 back when gas was 60-70 cents a liter... those were the days

18, I was given my Ford for some work by an older retired pro nfl player.

First before I paid money to be given a title too was my 81 cx500 I bought for 800 bucks when I was 19.

At age 24 I have yet to purchase my own car. Still going on the one my parents gave me.

I hope to purchase something interesting at age 26 or so, probably a low millage recent year 911, or early model R8.

19 bmw 318is with 150000 miles for 1000 bucks

24, bought a BRZ right after my birthday a few months back

2, bought a 2001 subaru 2.5rs

>actually bought one yourself
>yourself

I admire how much pride you take in your trucks

Thank you my man. It's something I've come to love, and is hard to replicate with anything else I've owned.

Almost 19yo, nice try
Ubuntu 17.10, GNOME (i3 sometimes)

14. Bought a rusty 1980 f150. Many hoons were had

Had just turned 20, paid $800 for a '95 Grand Cherocar, looked almost exactly like pic related. Pretty fucking amazed now that I paid so little for a perfectly functioning 4wd V8 with 152k miles

A little

>25
>It's a 2.0TFSI manual with 190.000km on clock.
>Paid 6500 euros for it.
>not very fast, too big for the city but comfy af.