Are oval racers the autists of motorsports?

Are oval racers the autists of motorsports?

You can measure the difficulty of a track by its number and variety of turns. At best you get four slightly different turns on an oval, so you'd think a normal person would want to graduate to a track with more turns and more decisions to make - and I'm not even including the scenery here. But in true autistic fashion, they just want to keep running the same tiny route for hundreds and hundreds of laps to take off fractions of fractions of milliseconds.

I'm not saying it's easy at all, but I don't see the point when a robot that can actually drive perfectly for the entire time (unlike a human) could do it and be unbeatable. At least in a road race it would take time for the robot to figure out the optimal racing line first, since each turn depends on the turns before and after it; then it still has to deal with traffic. "But what about other athletes that run laps?" You really think a swimmer or sprinter has the same physical challenge as someone sitting in a chair for three hours? At least the first two are getting a stronger body out of it. Will oval racing even still exist once a self-driving NASCAR shows up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_DRcUR1CM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Track difficulty surely does increase by the number and variety of turns, but race difficulty does not.

You and I would have a much easier time racing corollas on the nurburgring than would racing NASCAR

>they just want to keep running the same tiny route for hundreds and hundreds of laps to take off fractions of fractions of milliseconds.

so racing in general?

ovals have just has many variables as road racing

The mere suggestion of 'a robot doing it better' shows you're a clueless underage fuck
Not even an oval fag but seriously you need to get out if you know this little

>EIR

lel

Ok real answer.

Oval racing is like automotive roller derby. The track layout is meaningless. The challenge is passing other cars in such a confined space.

This. The aerodynamics play more into oval tracks than normal tracks.

ok James D'amore

> At best you get four slightly different turns on an oval

We live in three dimensions, banking my dude.

Yeah it's boring as shit to watch. But if you were to jump in a 600+hp glorified go-kart you'd likely shit your pants. Especially when you got 50 other guys doing the same speeds inches from you.

Road racing tends to be a lot more give and take than oval racing. With a road course you can afford to give up a bit of time in one turn if you think you're gonna be fast in another because you've got twenty some odd turns or what have you to play with. The usual four of a superspeedway and the constant high speed means there's way fewer opportunities to employ that kind of racing. NASCAR is a matter of consistency.

>human drives perfectly for 500 laps is fine
>computer drives perfectly for 500 laps is totally different

>a robot that can actually drive perfectly for the entire time (unlike a human) could do it and be unbeatable.

This is a false presumptions especially since no robot has ever posted a better time than a human on ANY race track, much less an actual race. Even when speaking hypothetically, if a robot can drive on a race track perfectly all the time, then why would it be any different on an oval vs a roadcourse?

>they just want to keep running the same tiny route for hundreds and hundreds of laps to take off fractions of fractions of milliseconds
this is where you are confused, you're not racing the track, you're racing other people

in most oval series the cars are nearly the exact same, it all comes down to setup + driver, while most road racing series the cars are very different

and this is why you end up with the top 10 qualifiers for NASCAR being within fractions of a second, and then something like F1 the top 10 qualifiers will have a 10 second spread...

>someone sitting in a chair for three hours
Do you really think that that is what driving a racecar is? Do you think that driving a racecar is not demanding both physically and mentally?

The NASCAR cup was the hardest event in GT6

t. Things that people who have never driving in a race say.

Nah. You probably just left ABS on. You gotta turn all the aids completely off. Even if you don't use the brakes, ABS will slow you down for some reason.

the fun things with ovals is that they are cheapest motor sport that isn't autox or drag racing.

ahem....

hospital visits add up

if its a computer racing why even fucking bother? At that point where is the competition? AI racing will never be entertaining to watch.

yes

> they just want to keep running the same tiny route for hundreds and hundreds of laps to take off fractions of fractions of milliseconds.
I find that more interesting than having to autistically memorize how to take hundreds of turns like some basement dwelling speedrunner.

Nope. Pavement's pavement, you gotta maintain it all the same. A 2 mile oval is the same pavement as a 2 mile road course, and if anything, deals with more cars on it because of the nature of oval races. And cars are cars, making them fast will be expensive no matter what.

Dirt oval is a different story

the thing is, nobody can actually do that, so the burgerring is a horrible objective measure of performance with conditions and the driver being the same between two cars

most tracks in motorsport have like six to ten things recognizable as corners and a bunch of very slight bends nobody really notices or cares about until they try and figure out why their line is slightly off. this makes it interesting because everyone is trying to be that autist, but everyone has too much testosterone to actually be an autist, so there are lots of overtakes and you're not sure who will pull it off by fucking up less than the other guys.

and then you have racing with autists (F1)

Dirt circle derper here. Pretty sure OP is just a troll that lives in a basement but none the less lots of those guys come from speedway.

As a rule a lot of speedway dirt circle guys have great reactions and car control. It's where I carved my skills out before rally driving, consistant drifts and sketchy short cars with twitchy handling and high horsepower, what's not to love?

>they just want to keep running the same tiny route for hundreds and hundreds of laps to take off fractions of fractions of milliseconds.
Sounds like the speed running community in video games which happens to be highly autistic

>being less demanding than x is the same as not being demanding at all

Nascar is more like the WWE or NFL of racing. Its more about blocking and bullying your way to the front.

Indy does ovals but its more interesting because you can touch and speeds are very high and the driver has to make very quick and important decisions with a solid understanding of physics or he's into the wall like Bourdais this year.
Ovals have a place but I dont think it should be the whole season.

Still how can you even deny that a racing at 200mph plus isn't relevant to motorsport?

>Its more about blocking and bullying your way to the front.

It's like you've never watched any other form of racing. Just look at any DTM race this year. Or SCCA World Challenge. Or British Touring Car Championship. Or the Australian Supercar Championship. That's not to mention semi-pro series which are comically bad in terms being IRL video game racing like the Blancpain GT series -- really any series with a GT3 or GT4 category.

Even for what a person like you would presume to be a "professional" series, starts are always dicey and first corner pileups do happen.

Banger racing is the best form of oval racing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_DRcUR1CM

There are as many decisions to to make in oval track as there are in road course.
Many road course cars have very good traction and the field is much more spread out on the track leaving the driver to focus more the twist and turns of the track
Oval track cars on the other hand race on the edge of traction at high speeds, door to door with up to 40 other cars doing the same. It's more focusing on what the cars around you are doing. As close and fast as these cars race one small slip can be disastrous.

Both are completely different animals and take different levels of skill and endurance and even a good driver in one would have a hard time being competitive in the other

The only autist I see here is (you)

This user knows what's up. I'd love to go to watch some in person some day, makes the enduro's I run look like babby's first race.
I have however recently gotten addicted to boat/trailer racing. Way more fun then anything should be. Anyone who says oval's are boring is just watching the wrong type of racing.

>that 1st gen extended cab Ram
those are next to impossible to find around here
why can't people just use old sedans and shitboxes

I know, it's rust free with a 360 and a stick too.
I've met the guy a few times, says he got it with no paper work so decided just to have fun with it. Then again I'm killing a rust free second gen SHO so I can't judge.