Pure Car/Truck Carriers

Good evening, Veeky Forums. Would you like a behind-the-scenes look at the ships that carry cars across the ocean? Would you care to find out what goes into getting your JDM-tyte car from Glorious Nippon to 'Murica?

I also have pictures of the first Kia Stingers to be imported to the United States; KDM models destined for Kia showrooms.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PdR9KV0N7j4
youtube.com/watch?v=9H2KDAzRaFc
youtube.com/watch?v=dkQYdx2ioN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how do i get your job?

And to prove I'm not bluffing.

post more pictures faggot

My job specifically? You go to one of the various maritime academies for four years, graduate with a degree, and then sit for a USCG license. Then, you join one of the 3 maritime officer unions in the country and sit in a job hall until you get lucky. I was VERY lucky; I got a job after just over a month after I got my license.

how hard do you drive the cars? can I assume the 8 miles on the odometer has some red lining in it?

nice trips

where are these cars being dropped at?

What do you mean kdm models? Are they not able to be sold because of that, just to look at?

We don't actually drive any of the cars; the longshoremen do. Ship's crew just watch them to make sure they don't damage anything. That said, yeah, they get driven fast to load fast. Particularly in Korea; I'll post a few videos of that later on.

Also, modern cars do have a "transport mode" which disables the odometer and stereo system so that normies don't reee their heads off at the normal distance you have to drive cars on/off the ships. Some yards are farther away from the ships than others.

I assume korean domestic market

i'm actually already a vet and have an engineering degree. i'm looking for an ejection seat career that i can just go get lost at. do i just sit the license exam or do still got to go through some formal training.

The Stingers are destined for Brunswick, Georgia, which is one of the major auto importation ports in the country. Going along with them are a fair share of the other Kias onboard, while the rest are destined for Philly. We also have a few hundred Buick Encores we loaded in Incheon that are going to Newark.

Yeah. They're not street legal. They got pulled off the Korean line and sent over to drum up interest. They still even have Korean license plate brackets.

How can I put my car permanently in transport mode to keep it low miles.

Oh, you're an engineer? Same thing. In order to sit for your license, you have to have sea time. Going to a maritime academy gets you that time and gives you specialized ship education. Engineers are actually in a better place now; fucking everyone wants engineers so you won't have any trouble finding a job once you have your 3rd Assistant Engineer's license.

I recommend Texas Maritime in that case. They give in-state tuition to anyone who attends regardless of where they are from.

You want to permanently gimp your car and turn off your radio?

It DOES look good in red.

does transport mode prevent the engine from being wound up or WOT from actually working?

i really don't want to go back to school. can't i get some OJT type gig where i get paid?

Probably. I don't know much about it beyond that the cars I see have it engaged.

Backtracking a bit now that the Stingers are done, this is a load of Genesis G80s we had on board when I joined the ship. They got off in Brunswick as well. Apologies for the camera quality; all I had was a Blackberry Z10.

You would have to join the SIU and get work as a GUDE: a General Unlicensed Deck/Engine. You'd essentially be mopping the deck in the engine room until you get enough sea time to sit for your QMED certification: Qualified Member of the Engine Department. And after you have enough time doing THAT, *then* you could hawsepipe up and sit for your 3 A/E license. It's going to take years either way; going to school just lets you skip a lot of the bullshit.

Yeah, it sucks. But this is a licensed profession. Shit is serious; if you fuck up your ass is on the line legally, and the potential damage you can do is immense.

Have some Elantras.

Some...Tuscons, I think?

Engineless 1978 Firebird that went to the Middle East.

1992 Cressida destined for Jebel Ali, UAE, along with a Dodge Ram.

This was the most interesting car on the ship. A 280SX that was also going to Jebel Ali.

*ZX, my mistake.

Only 97k on the clock.

A bunch of totaled cars that were destined to be shittily repaired in Beirut.

On the outbound leg, we also carried a few decks worth of FCA products destined for the Middle East. Chargers, 300s, Rams, and various Jeeps. Being able to see just how small Wranglers were in person helped convince me to not bother getting one.

>Saudi Arabia
>caring about gas mileage

That was taken on a sole Charger SXT that was loaded in error in Wilmington. I don't know if it was destined for another ship or not, but it wasn't supposed to be on ours. So it got a free trip around the world and is supposed to be offloaded in Wilmington in about 5 days.

Our other cargo, the one that makes the big bucks: military. The ship was part of the Marine Security Program, which means that it gets about $5 million a year from the gubment to carry Army shit around the world wherever it needs to go. In our case, we took trucks and MRAPs to the Middle East and Korea, and took trucks home back to Beaumont.

Here's a video of one of the larger ones going ashore in Busan. The things are fucking massive.
youtu.be/PdR9KV0N7j4

We also carry rather...random cargo. Ro/Ros are very versatile ships; we can carry anything that can go up our ramp and fit between our decks. This includes helicopters.

These are State Department birds S-61Ts.

We also had a pair of tank retrievers onboard.

The rest of these are from South Korea, and loading cars destined for America. Incheon is where we picked up our "GM" cars; a bunch of things badged as Buicks.

In order to get in, since the dock was in a tidal basin, we went through a lock.

>get work as a GUDE
do they work hard? as long as i got a place to stay and a steady paycheck. i'll mop floors.

They do odd jobs around the engine room. Beyond that, I don't know much else. I'm not an engineer.

>this triggers the ozfag

sounds comfy.

is the food good? whats your day on the boat like?

For me, as a deck watchstander, I had 8 hours of watch every day, 8-12. Four hours in the morning, four hours in the evening. After lunch, I worked OT. In port, I did 6&6; 6 hours on watch, 6 hours off. Our engineers, since the ship had an unmanned engine room, just did daywork down there. There was a "duty engineer" who was assigned to handle whatever alarms came up at night; they rotated through the 3 assistants nightly.

>is the food good
ha
hahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHA

oh god the food was awful. That steward was fucking shit.

do you ever get time to get off the ship in another country and go take a day to fuck around?

Sense of scale for how massive the ship is.

Yes. When you're not on watch/duty when you'r in port, you can go ashore and do whatever.

On this ship, however, we got little time in port because we go in and out so quickly. Because of the watch schedules, I always got screwed out of shore time. I got two hours of leave out of the whole 100 day voyage.

If you're wondering why I didn't just shoot a video, it's because it takes about 10-15 minutes to land the ramp.

And in this instance took 30 minutes to land because one of the locks on it got stuck.

Deck 12, before starting loading.

Same deck, same place. This was only about 3 hours later.

They just kept bringing more and more as the day went on, replacing on the dock what we loaded onto the ship.

whats that pay?

In Mokpo, we moved to a port that was pretty much owned entirely by Hyundai. We were right next to the Hyundai Heavy Industries shipyard, too.

Here, we loaded Kias. Couple thousand Souls and Sportages.

Bump for one of the more interesting threads on Veeky Forums in a looooo time

Any pics of the crew living quarters?

Are there any purely IT staff on these ships or are those duties handled by engineers?

On their lonesome, 4 electric Souls. I don't think we loaded any electric ones ourselves, though.

For 100 days work, including 500 hours OT, I grossed around $32k. $23k net after taxes, and I live in Texas so I don't have state income tax.

so the pay is not worth it at all

damn

could you just be gone all the time if you wanted? work 365?

Here's my own stateroom.

And no, nobody but MSC (the supply ships the Navy spun off to be run by civilians) has dedicated radio officers anymore. Certainly not IT. The most you get is a rare guy who has a GMDSS Maintainer license instead of just an operator's license, and that just means he can fix the radios if need-be. Everything else the ship hires shore experts for.

thats pretty fuckin' swank. i thought it was going to be way more crowded.

Depends on the contract.

Here are a bunch of Cadenzas we loaded in Pyeongtaek, the previous port.

how did you even load/unload these? did some nigger on your ship know how to drive a tank?

you get internet?

And here are a bunch of Sedonas. Tbqh the grill works well with the raised ride height. 7/10 would not mind hauling kids to soccer practice in.

Pfft, fuck no. This ship had a crew of 19. Everyone had their own room. The only difference between officers and unlicensed was that officers had their own fridge.

Does anyone ever fuck up and crash a car as they're loading it? What happens then?

Yup. The longshoremen that work military cargo know how to drive the military vehicles.

I was lucky. The company I worked for is known for being tightwads, so they normally don't have internet on their ships, just shitty text-only email. This ship, however, was originally built for a different company, so it did have wifi equipment with prepaid net. It would have cost more to rip it out, so the company just left it. However, it was pretty shitty satellite internet that Cloudflare hated. You never knew just how many sites used Cloudflare protection until you had to solve a captcha to access half the internet. Couldn't post on Veeky Forums either, and the speed was sub-dialup tier.

Still, had internet in the middle of the ocean, which was cool as hell.

Thanks user. I'm still debating what color to get my stinger in .

It happens. At that point, we take pictures of the damage, fill out a form documenting it, and have the longshoremen sign it so our ass is covered. Otherwise, if the damage is discovered later at unloading and we didn't have that form, we'd be on the hook for it.

Here's a picture of that that actually happened. Some dumbass kid was loading a Charger and just ran it into a pole because he wasn't paying attention while taking a turn. All the other longshoremen were calling him an idiot for doing it, and the foreman just signed the paperwork without a fuss.

Dozens of Cadenzas.

Boatman, how often do you see neat things coming out of japan?

Sadly, rarely. This company doesn't have many contracts with Japan; we mostly have Korean deals. The ship before us in the liner service DID go to Japan, though. But it only loaded a bunch of Mitsubishi Outlanders.

A pair of Soul Exclaims.

>NY
Sheeit I thought everybody just used FOC nowdays

More Souls.

However, here's a video of Kia Sportages going on the ship's ramp. You can see how fast they take it.

youtube.com/watch?v=9H2KDAzRaFc

The white Optima that led the way is the car that carries the longshoremen back to the row they're working back on the dock so they can pick up the next group.

How long is the trip from Korea to the states?

Run through any bad storms on the way over?

Naw son, MSP ships. Gotta have American flag to carry American military cargo.

More Souls, this time in technicolor!

So are they going to dealers (I assume you could test drive them on dealer or manufacturer plates) or mainly promo stuff at big Kia offices and such?
Are they getting re-exported at the end or shredded?

i hear the deck hands in this job are subhuman filth and often criminals. is that true?

It took about a month, and that was going through the Panama Canal. I have a video of a ship going into the upper locks there, but it's going to take a long while to upload.

Don't know, I'm afraid. I just know they're demos only. Their gauges were still in KPH.

Sportages on Deck 10 getting lashed down.

>Jeep, Benzes, Range Rover
shocking

Not since the 1950s, user. This is the age of increased liability, so everyone has to be certified professionals at the very least. Deckhands know their shit, and they have to get background checks to even get into the ports in the post-9/11 age.

Longshoremen and crew on foreign flagged ships? Can't say on those, however.

And here's the video you've all be waiting for. This is what it looks like when the cars are actually driven and lashed into place on the cargo decks.

youtube.com/watch?v=dkQYdx2ioN4

Any pics of stuff going to or coming out of Australia?

t. Ausfag

Got a picture of a new Holden right here, m8. Built with pride in the Republic of Korea.

every deliver cars to tacoma, wa? i see big fleets of them fresh off the boat every day

Nope. The only time this company's ships call on the West Coast are when they're dropping off cars from Japan, and they generally go to Long Beach, then.

Our "service truck". This thing was fun as FUCK to drive.

>all those squealing tires
Damn it looks like they have fun hauling ass around that little area.
Seems like it would be fun to drift something around there when it's empty.

The decks are pretty huge, and there are ramps everywhere.

It's literally an ocean-going parking lot.

That looks awful, just rushing to do the same shit over and over.
But oddly calming.

I bet it would get real old, real fast

But keep in mind, those decks are just painted metal.

delet this

Other ships in the American fleet are...not as well kept up.

>Crowley

Ramp from Deck 7 to Deck 5.

everything in this thread is awesome

this thread is one of the best this year, thanks for sharing this

>Beaumont
>range of tide

Something of note on this one. See how slack the wires are on the ramp? Yeeeaaaah, they catch the wind. They got damn lucky the wind didn't twist them around themselves.

Sadly, this went on the Independence. I wish I could have gotten a good closeup of it.

No problem, user. I'm happy to share my viewpoint of this stuff.