Hi guys. I am trying to take off this cover that hides the wiring and the gas tank...

Hi guys. I am trying to take off this cover that hides the wiring and the gas tank. It is corroded beyond shit and I need to remove it. This shit just jerks. All the screws are off etc.. 1988 560sl

Well, are there any parts of it that you can feel are lose?

It might have had a thin layer/small spots of adhesive on it to prevent rattling

I can almost pull it out. The left comes out but feels like something in the middle is holding it back. Same thing If j try the right side

This isn't metal nor rusted but do I need a tetanus shot. I got a little baby cut

You're replacing the whole thing, right? Could be cutting off parts so that you can see what it is behind the panel that is resisting

If the gas tank is behind it then you might need some sheet metal snips or a sheet metal nibbler to prevent sparks

Oh, its just plastic?

Cut it to shit with a solid knife or another tool

I mean I kind of find it hard to find these certain parts for my car. I am about to head out for work in 20 min. Trying to gets this off.

So... are you replacing it or not? You said it was corroded to shit

and another question; where exactly is this located? You said its covering the gas tank, but for some reason I keep seeing it as if its whats behind the passenger seats?

Could you do a photo thats a bit more "zoomed out", so we see a bigger part of the vehicle and can easier judge what exactly we are looking at?

I mean I am going to take it to a shop and see if they can clean it first

For the most part, it pretty much is behind the passenger seat. However, it is only accessible from the trunk.

Could you mark on where it feels like its holding back?

Wherr the screwdriver is

I am autistic. I see one tiny screw left. How the fuck do I take this thing out

Huh, thats fucking weird - from what I know there shouldn't be anything to hold that back

And thats the only spot?
You *could* try heating it up with a 2KW heat gun or something, just be careful that you don't melt the plastic itself

Also; did the screw that was there come out very easily compared to the others? For all we know it might've been that the previous owner fucked the threads there, and decided to superglue it or something to make it seem like it was properly secured

I actually think this is metal. This does look like really old super glue. I cut myself very slightly right here. I should be fine, right? That explains how the tank itself is in perfect condition exterior wise.

Yeah the other bolts were caked in what looks like super glue. That one in the center came off easily

I guess sone mechanic was retarded and super glued everything

Well there we go

Drain the tank.
Label all the hoses with colored stickers/non-alcohol based marker and take photos os you don't switch them up before disconnecting them. Then you remove all the bolts one by one

Note; I've not removed a tank in one of those, but judging by the position of it you will have to drop it through, which means you'll most likely need either a lift or really tall jackstands, plus something that can hold the tank steadily while you remove all the nuts and fastenings before it can be lowered

Should be easily to tell - does it make a screeching noise if you scratch at the edge with a screwdriver, or does it not?

Thats just grease to prevent it them from corroding. As for why the tank is still clean; its not in a place where it would ever really rust, and it also kinda looks like its made out of plastic? Still, I can't touch it myself so cant say for sure

Thanks for your help buddy. I will tackle the rest of this tank tomorrow probably.