Looking to buy a reliable car for as cheap as possible to go around the country (US)

looking to buy a reliable car for as cheap as possible to go around the country (US)

long story
Ausfag moving to US estimated march next year with girlfriend
we will be based in LA with my father (US Citizen) and want to drive from there outwards with no plans until we start work a couple of months later

maximum budget is $5000 but ideally we are looking at like $2-3000 shitboxes and under

has to be auto because she doesnt want to drive stick with the wrong hand
ideally something with a little bit more power although I'm not expecting a v8
main goal is reliability while not being so bad it's hard to live with on a day to day basis
needs to have cargo space, just incase a whole heap of random crap comes back with us

if it was Australia I'd go a v6 wagon like pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/black-lincoln-ultimate-towncar/6281869970.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

refer to the sticky

but the correct answer is volvo 245

sticky is old as fuck

crown vic or a chevy van

if you want to be a scrooge about gas, toyota camry.

You could easily get a V8 powered Mustang for 5k or less, especially in Cali.

this the sticky hasnt been updated in fucking years.

If you wan't cargo space and utility, you can't really go wrong with a minivan it's pretty much just a wagon that's taller vertically, you can sleep comfortably in the back and have tons of room for cargo at the same time, older Toyota Siennas (00-07) are pretty good the V6 version feels like it has some decent power to it and can be had for around your budget plus should be pretty much bombproof, although I'd stay away from the Honda Odyssey because they have ton's of transmission issues.

As an alternative option you could go with a small truck like a Tacoma (essentially a Hilux) or a Ranger and throw a cap on the back, it'll probably get around the same mileage, but you'll have more ground clearance if you wanted to go down some of the sketchier roads in the National Forests/etc.

>V6 wagon equivalent
>Expecting a $3000 shitbox

You're gonna have a XV10 Camry and you're gonna like it.
Good luck finding a wagon one. That's a unicorn.

>Tacoma
>less than 5k

yeah right

I own a 1996 that I got for 3K with 140K mi, it's doable you just have to search around and be ok with negotiation.

considering a crown vic because cargo space and a bit of power out of the old v8 but dont want to look wannabee police officer
is there an alternative?

I am still a car guy, obviosuly its a very low budget but even if a car is semi enjoyable to drive its a huge plus

Not sure if you want to go Chrysler, but 300 comes to mind for whatever reason.

OP dont get the old 300 (which is all you could afford under 5k), I drove one when it was new and it was dogshit even in the sports v8 trims

Shit.
I got it.
1st gen LS 400.
V8, built like a tank, big cargo space.

>Ausfag finnaly to embarrassed to stay in Aussie after our Ruby team has fucked them too many times.

I've been trying to leave ever since it was an option
Dad actually had an LS400 when he first arrived but he bought a shit one and it didnt stop breaking down

Get a Jeep Cherokee, usually the rusted out shit ones are about $500, while the good mechanically sound ones are anywhere between $1000-$3000. Nice Torque with the inline 6, comes with either automatic or standard, 4WD is amazing for snowy climates and even recreational offroading, extremely common in all states so all parts are incredibly cheap, very easy to do most repairs on, can haul 4 adults plus cargo comfortably, if you're easy on the accelerator you can get 20mpg city, dat sexy 80s boxy look.

avalon

Hey, it might be a lucky one second time around.

fuck
my first car in Australia was an Avalon and it's not a bad suggestion

>but dont want to look wannabee police officer

chevy g10 van or the ford econoline. toyota previa if you can find one. subaru wagon maybe. honda crv.

Seriously look at the Saab 9-3 or 9-5. They have a ton of space (yuge trunk), are quite quick, fairly dependable GM drivetrain and can be had for very little. 3k is definitely doable.
I've had many many cars and my Saab 9-5 aero is the best value I've ever had. $3800 and is in great shape with under 100k miles and that is a typical example. Also looked at one for $2800 with 140k miles and some body dings and torn seats, but otherwise good shape.

I have always wanted a Saab but I feel like buying a brand that doesnt exist anymore when finances are critical is a bold move

Stick with the Camry, easy to find in V6 and you can't complain other than it being a little boring. An LS400 sounds like fun but they aren't as reliable as you think at this age. Problem is they sound pretty nice and once you start revving them out a few times they blow easily if they've just been driven around town or lived their lives on the highway.

Lincoln Town Car. Get a newer one, mileage still doesn't matter. If the air suspension fails, you can switch to coils easily. Comfy and you won't look as much like a cop.

2nd gen Prius

OP you can also get a nice used Buick. It's pretty easy to find a relatively well-maintained Regal or Park Avenue with a 3.8 supercharged in it. '90s and up GM will generally run forever, even if they can be ugly.

fuck, he could prolly get a roadmaster wagon for under 5k if he looks in the right place

that shit would be the perfect american trip car

losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/black-lincoln-ultimate-towncar/6281869970.html

whatever it says on the odometer doesnt matter as long as all the interior and trunk shit works

fuck off we're full

Volvo V70 R

Ford Ranger

The only correct answer.

New edge mustang GT exact same engine has backseats and a trunk for storage

>crown vic
> reliable
pick one.

no. good for daily driver around town. not for a road trip. not comfy enough.

- t. ford ranger owner who drove across the country and back in it

some kind of van, wagon or suv with enough space to lay down in and sleep if you need a rest
fuckin hotels are expensive if you just need a few hours sleep

nice Opel Omega

Shut up idiot
Wouldn't you rather another white person than some spic or poo
Aussies are based