I'm in the market for another car and I'm not sure what to get. Currently I'm between an e36 and s14...

I'm in the market for another car and I'm not sure what to get. Currently I'm between an e36 and s14. Currently I have some spare kouki parts, a stage 2 clutch, flywheel, CF hood, short shifter and some cosmetics I can easily swap over so I'm leaning towards another s14 but I've always loved the e36 too. I have around 10k for a budget so I can get something stock and build it up a tid or buy something already tuned and put more into it later. What should I do Veeky Forums?

S14 has more potential with the SR

Look up what a turbo but otherwise stock S52 or M52 can do lol
SRs are junk

Both cars are comparable. If the s14 has a SR already I would say go for it. Depends on your location. Post a craigslist if you want me to take a look.

SRs are fine, unlike the gs400 you crashed.

>sr
into the trash

i'd say s14 because all the cheap but good parts, ka with piston, metal headgastket and turbo. rb, jz, ls or ca.
i rather deal with any other motors issues over having an sr

buy another s14 youll regret it if you dont

Yeah, the thing drawing me towards another S14 is the abundance of parts and I've always heard M3 or any benz is expensive to maintain. I got my current s14 for dirt cheap and started investing into some parts but it ended up being too much of a project. Now I have a friend that wants to buy the shell for more than I initially payed for it and I can still keep the parts I invested in and make profit. But if I sell it to him with the parts I can pretty much get the M3 for free. I'm really leaning towards the s14 but it depends on what I can find on the market when I'm ready to buy which will be really very soon. The guy that wants to buy my shell says he can come over with the money tomorrow. I know quote a bit about 240's and 300zx's but M3's are new ground for me. I though I might ask around before I commit.

so figure out what you want, i got a 240 because they're cheap to put together and supposedly drove great. the local s-chassis crowd loved how my car drove and i thought it was crap compared to my old rx7, only got it because it was cheap. hated the looks. now i'm back in an rx7 and happy with it vs spending money to try and have the 240 drive how i want it to

I personally love the 240's lines, chassis and how it looks. Of course I like the rx7 too but I don't want to deal with a rotary. I know the s14 pretty in and out but I was hoping some people could shine some light on the e36 since it's a viable option and it has always piqued my interest. How much did you end up spending on your rx7 to surpass what you wanted with your 240 to be and what year is it?

Buy a nice, ideally tuned E36 and build it up from there

get the silvia and swap a rb25det in it

Where was your picture taken?

my s13+s14 totalled 2500usd
s13 was 1k, got t-boned, bought an s14 that didn't run for $800 and moved my motor and trans. i kept getting deals like parts lots or whole shells for the price of parts i wanted. my s14 was a zenki se, fogs, all se switches, fixed the sunroof, working a/c and ps. thought i killed the ka so threw another one in then ended up selling it for 3800. had all the rear adjustable arms including lower control arms, factory garbage vlsd, lightweight flywheel, 6puck clutch, shortshifter, potenza eibach coilovers, was about to buy brakes (stock s brakes are complete crap) flca's and tension arms. then either rb,ca or 1uz swap it.
my rx7 was 2200, needed a rebuild but ran, rebuild kit+odds and ends, maintenance bits, and some stuff i still haven't installed like a watermeth injection leaves me at $4,200 with it fresh rebuilt and i ported while apart. scored a fresh rebuilt upgrade turbo for $100, $10 for a used SARD fpr, and the walbro 465 at 60psi keeps me from running out of fuel with stock injectors. i need some injectors and engine management and i'll get fuel economy and a power increase. it's around 350whp based on whp of cars i can beat racing. the rebuild process was so simple and way faster than the ka24 i put together for my friend. i lifted the motor from theengine bay with hand power since the hoist was broken at that time. the reliability meme is because the rx8 and no one wanting to rebuild or change thier oil at 3k.
1988 rx7 turbo, the lsd locks like a real lsd and it's factory and rebuildable/adjustable unlike the crap nissan vlsd in 90% of what fits the s14. stock trans will hold 500whp on slicks at the strip, same with the clutch. the 71c in the 240 is weak, the 225mm clutch sucks and is stupid exspensive when you can easily get it to run a 350z clutch which will hold more power with cheap replacements

You've got a bunch of S14 parts sitting about already. Might as well put them to use, no?

>s13 was 1k, got t-boned, bought an s14 that didn't run for $800 and moved my motor and trans. i kept getting deals like parts lots or whole shells for the price of parts i wanted. my s14 was a zenki se, fogs, all se switches, fixed the sunroof, working a/c and ps. thought i killed the ka so threw another one in then ended up selling it for 3800.

Pretty much sounds like me. Got my s14 95 SE running for about 1,200. Got hit, ended up converting the front to a 97 since I got the fenders and hood for free. Only had to pay for radiator support and weld it on and now I have my buddy offering 3.5k for it.

That's how I feel at hear about it but the M3 runs for more and since my buddy runs a car dealership I can do a clean trade for an M3 or pay a little more for a tuned one. I feel I'm going to go for the s14 but from what I've seen the e36 has some love around here, and everywhere else so I wanted to go for a second opinion.

rb25/6 have exspensive pain in the ass oiling issues to fix, and jz rebuild kits are exspensive

my friend went 10.5 to 1 compression pistons, metal headgasket, used turbo kit for $400, new BOV, custom downpipe to keep a/c, nistune (rs enthalpy is crap, it's only good for a baseline and isn't adjustable) rebuild kit, machine work, plumbing, etc and he's spent about 3800 just turboing the ka right. he still needs a brake upgrade and he's open diff.
he'll still have to worry about headlift and his trans with stock rods limiting him to about 600hp

if you already have a lot of s14 parts just stick with that, is the e36 the one that the welds break for the subframe mounts?
the only thing i liked about my s13/14 was most upgrade bits were cheap (isis/isr is the noname china shit just yellow and with a warranty)
my bushing set is cheaper and all of it is useable (poly tension arm bushing will break the stock tension arms, how fast depends on lowered or not and road conditions/how you drive) but an lsd is cheaper for me to get something nice since a stock one is actually good and it's ~$500 for me to "build" the motor and i can go for 800whp without a worry

just go for what you like the looks of, can get parts for easily. and won't kill you for your hp goals

500whp on 15 psi with a GT35R, cut ring gasket & arp studs
Stock ecu tuning is good
The GS400 was fixed within 3 days tho ;)

Santiago Canyon near Irvine Lake

Goddam that's clean. Just when I'm certain on the silvia you pull me back in. Can you say anything about your build or know enough about the s14 to compare it to? I'd really like to know more about the M3 before I make my decision and it seems best asking an owner here among confronting opinions than anywhere else.

How is the up keep? Are parts readily available? I'd be happy if you could tell me anything you could.

me and my other friend used to have enough parts and shells between us we were set for anything (1 s13 hatch, 7 s14 shells, 2 ka's, 2 trans, lots of suspension, etc)
3 friends have 240s (13 hatch, 14 zenki and kouki) 1 sold his sr hatch (gt2871r, 19psi)
it spiked 30lbs on stock internals, piston 4 ended up d shaped

from what i've seen 240 parts are pretty abundant everywhere, other cars it's more of a how well can you as a person locate parts

there are a few e36 guys local to me, they drift, etc and the cars seem to be reliable enough. only problem i saw was a radiator fan exploding and killing the rad (gk tek fan i think)
and he said it wasn't easy or exspensive to fix things, but you will have to relearn the chassis/motor

Well I owned an S13 for comparisons sake and here I am with 2 e36s? lol
They have a much better suspension setup in general
Parts are inexpensive and for the most part they are straight forward to work on
Anything you could question has been documented online or join e36 world fb group
If you need parts or information and are local to SoCal I gotchu

Well either make sure your fans in good shape or go efan
My Koyo aluminum was 200 bucks, regular plastic tank rads are about 100
I can r&r a fan and rad on an e36 in like 20 minutes
Dont know why hed say its hard or expensive

not op here but i will be moving to orange county from eastern europe in october. planning on buying an e36 there but i'm a bit scared about the cost of parts on german cars in america.
how much have you spent on maintaining your e36?

meant was not wasn't

but most rwd cars i've seen it's easy to pull the rad and fan

Quite a bit considering Ive mechanically restored the better part of the car
Nothing crazy though really