How to haggle

Going to be looking at some cars in a few days
first time buying a car. Read the sticky, but what are some tricks to haggle.
having cash on hand is a good idea I've heard, also dont compliment the car and stay neutral

Point out every minor flaw and after test driving say "it's nice, although I do have another [insert car here] lined up for [5-15% less than the car's value]"

That was actually the next thing I was going to ask
I'll be looking at 3 cars in the same general area
and I guess you already answered the question if I should mention that im looking at more cars after this one

Research how much the car is really worth. Try to find out how much the dealer paid for it.

Make the dealers compete with each other for your purchase.

Don't finance it through the dealer.

Most important: Don't be afraid to walk away. If Dealer 1 says $20,000 tell Dealer 2 they have to beat $20,000. If they say no, walk out. If you're in this haggle for the long haul, give them your card and they can call when they've changed their minds

not going to dealers but I assume it still applies
not going anywhere near 20k though

Not op, but whats a good price guide to trust?
KBB almost always undervalues stuff like 80s and 90s sports cars and NADA will always overvalue stuff. Edmunds also overvalues too i think

Ask for extras as well,

have a realistic price you won't go over

be ready to walk the fuck away...which will usually result in them agreeing with your price

How do you figure out what the dealer paid for it?

What about checking the general condition of the car, like repairs and maintenance history and the like? I've never done much car work beyond basic shit like oil changes, so I feel like I'll end up letting a lot of small details slip.
I want to try to nitpick but I don't think I have the eyes for it with cars just yet. Are there any easy finds that would notably affect the value?

what cars? budget?

Go to at least 3 dealers so you can play their lines and their prices against them. Don't jerk them around. You're just shopping to get the feel for how they play the game, and you're seriously interested in the car but you're a noob.

Then take a little time regroup and review what they offered. That way you can develop a realistic idea of how to go back in and work a deal with backup deals in hand.

Play good cop/bad cop. Bring a more mechanically inclined or just general car guy along. Bring up the cars flaws. This way you can like the car (assuming you actually do) but you have someone there who isn't really involved to bring up all the problems.
Most importantly, know what you're willing to pay and don't be afraid to walk away.

You have to know what is realistic price and what is not.
When I was salesman, I don't mind people haggling but I hated really uneducated stubborn people.
Many times customers will demand half off or they don't want to pay taxes.
When you walk away and they don't stop you, there is only 1 reason. Your offer was too low. Check online and get a idea what is good deal. Many times when we get dumbnuts we would give them bait number to play around with them. Like literally half off the msrp, but no matter what you say they want less. When you do this, you will never buy the car

How did you feel about people who waved KBB or Edmund's value and the like at you and tried haggling off that?

Kbb and true car number is given by dealerships, it's not like "oh shit this guy has super secret pricing" good salesman's heart is like stone. You can have stack of 100k in cash, I didn't care.
Car buying service has been around for many years, it's just part of game. Does it suck ? Yes! I will make no commission, but at least that tells me your serious.

Forgot to add, I seriously doubt you can get more off. Car buying service numbers are under invoice, don't expect to use that to get more off. At this point you are literally fighting for pennies

That's consistent with my small experience. I don't care if you get an extra $100 on the sale price compared to what the vehicle is going to cost me down the road as long as it's a fair price.

Meanwhile I have to sit there and listen to the niggers (white or otherwise) take up all afternoon working a million different financing and trade-in prices they don't understand, wanting to drive it one more time, and saying they'll come back tomorrow.

Bro tomorrow boat never comes. Every time we get some performance car new or used, I have to deal with bunch of kids wanting to test drive for free. I am glad I am out of the game.

I was thinking of getting some cheap used car and using kbb/true car as a reference for haggling a few hundred off to appease my inner jew. It was nothing like demanding pennies for a car just because da interweb said so, just trying to massage the price a little bit if it's above the recommended value and there are things worth knocking on like general condition.

Last time I was stuck in the stealership because various insurance and plating garbage so I had nothing to do but wait while they were trying to sort it all out on my behalf (you're damn right I want to buy this car, now sell it to me already jesus!)

And the salesman at the next table over after trying to explain how they could save more money and get the car today by putting down an extra $50 finally lost it
>NO
>IF YOU COME BACK TOMORROW I AM NOT GIVING YOU THIS DEAL
>IF YOU COME BACK TOMORROW I WILL GIVE A WORSE DEAL
>TAKE IT OR LEAVE
lel

On used car, there is too many variables. Car history, condition, miles, and of course what area. Best way is call in and ask for best price and few comparable same car with lower car price to haggle.

Yea there is reason we do this.
We mostly sell cars on excitement more then actual need. When they walk away, excitement is gone, and they start to re think about purchase.
Understand that sales live and die by sales. Yea whole thing sounds shitty but being a salesman is very stressful.

Be realistic
Have a sharp eye
Always be willing to walk away

Yup, first guy I bought from was pretty much done with me after the first visit. I came back a second time because I didn't know what to do and he pretty much just tossed me the keys while talking on the phone. When I finally decided, we had a sit-down talk about buyers remorse and he threw in floor mats and a full-sized spare and then told me that was it and time to sign the papers. Good guy, really.

Next guy I basically said
>ohai
>I saw you have that car on your lot
>yeah that one
>but I boxed it in because there's nowhere to park
OSHI- face
>let's go take a look at it
y-you mean you want to drive it?
>yeah faggot let's go :D
And that's how dude made a sale that day.

Funny story.
We just got new raptor, this was first gen first year. Get a call from very grumpy guy yelling and curse Ung about how he can't find raptor without any markups.
Days go by, he calls everyday telling me to discount it for him. 3rd day I told him to stop being a bitch and bring your wife so you can't have bullshit excuse about how wife said no shit. Guy is pissed off, he says I will see you in minute and I am going to kick your ass.
Cool, I grab a key, wash the truck park it in front of main door. Guy shows up, we talk. He bought it at full+mark up, went followed him home to drop off car he came in. Had dinner with his family.
I am the silence hero that keeps America moving.

I have an uncle in the biz and he says the new era of people who can look up prices is great because they come in knowing what they want and about what the price should be so he can move inventory.

For a non-haggling culture like the US, I would think it should be pretty easy to just pose whatever off the asking price, wait for the counter-offer, and then take something reasonable. I'm not much of a haggler myself, but if you walk in knowing what's a good price and what's not a good price then it seems like you should be able to get what you want.

I agree, but for me it was the worst.
I worked at ford and Toyota, and I was only Asian in both store. Every coworkers would give me Asian customers and I still have nightmare about them. "Oh I saw this in internet, what you do?" They want thousands less and when I tell them no, they always say shit like "come on, give me Asian discount" many nights I went home after midnight, working a deal with Asian family. Commission? Nice fat 40bucks after tax

I have some asians in my family and they are impressive hagglers on their own turf (asia is beautiful, wonderful destination if you have somebody to haggle for you).

But in the US don't fall for it. They're just whiny shits here, and they can take a deal or go kick dirt if they want to play those games.

Took me some time, but i got really good at finding good Asian buyer or shitty haggling bitch. I just tell them to fuck off in 2minute. Managers were pissed but they learn to trust me and let me say whatever I wanted. I think I got fired like 5times, but they would always call me next day and yell at me for being late to work. It's been like 4years since I quit. But my name is still on display as top salesman on both store

Sounds like the stealerships need you as a go-between to get the asian market. Nothing wrong with that imo

What are you buying,faggot?

one of these

For new cars I'm not sure, but assume they've to profit from them so remove a couple of thousands (more or less, it depends on what car).
For used ones there are price lists which they must conform to when buying. Dealers won't go any higher than the estimated value of a car, but neither the owner wants to go ridiculously low. For example when my mother's 500 was totaled (the amount to fix > car's value) the insurance company just gave us a 3500€ check, which was the car value estimated for the 2011 model.

Would neg haggling like this even work when everyone already knows what you're doing?