/acg/ - Armored Core General

E3 Hype Edition

Older bread: For all newcomers, Armored Core and all JP mecha discussion here. You are welcome to shill western stuff with JP influence.
We can talk about Ace combat as well and puchi posting is fine too.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED LISTEN TO OUR THEME SONG!!!
instaud.io/jzI

AC pastebin: pastebin.com/z1bJS9gF
Read that if you have any questions. If the pastebin doesn't answer whatever question you may have feel free to ask us in the thread.

/acg/'s partially complete recommendation pastebin:
pastebin.com/Wjv8sukr

Steam: steamcommunity.com/groups/armoredcorevg

/acg/ PLAYS

SCRIMMS
>Ask.

SUNDAY NIGHT FOR ANSWER
>Ask.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON VERDICT DAY
>Ask.

Official Strategy guide PDFs for 2, 3, and Nexus :
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_2_Another_Age_Prima_Official_eGuide/1833
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_3_Prima_Official_eGuide/1635
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_Nexus_Prima_Official_eGuide/2226

AC related cover music: ripped from niconico by risto
mega.nz/#!j1l03AjA!beyftPD1gLIsymJC2gdmHpUecO4JHGbg6KdFQNS7htI

Understanding Last Raven technical stuff.
pastebin.com/RfbVYwwr

AC Webm and Music collection download.
dropbox.com/s/eh12d8bhn4o5t3p/AC Webm.rar?dl=0#
dropbox.com/s/e43xmgrl76l9bpo/AC Music.rar?dl=0

Bump

"waiting for people to get off work and start posting" bump

THERE WE GO

Do you guys color your weapons to match your AC or make them different?

Yo. Let's bump it up.

I usually go with boring gray weapons, but I usually color the laser blades/shields in more exotic colors.

It depends on the design for me.

I leave them the original gray to act as a counter to the abundance of purple I use

>abundance of purple

send pics

Post screenshots of 3rd gen builds

Who would you pick as a guest AC designer?

The guys behind Evangelion, to make bio-synthetic AC armor.

I always imagined that Kisaragi's bio weapon experiments would yield something like organic-machine armor.

No screenshots for me, make do with best boy.

The purple in the AC4/V are darker than what it appears because of shitty phone pictures, it's more like the main color of the AC2 pics

Here's some shitty OC I made.

Ok no idea why it's a picture of a boat, so here's the real thing

nice Stigro

Nice.

Ippei Gyoubu, I want AC6 to have the same genki feel that G-Reco had.

You put the White Glint emblem on a nice boat?
>screenshots
I guess I could get phone camera pictures if those work for you.

Depends on the color scheme I am using, sometimes I match it with the AC, others just the boring gray.

bump.

>I guess I could get phone camera pictures if those work for you.

pop open an emulator and make a build for fun and fashion

>those action figures

Back in my day, our weapons came in 5 colors, and before that, the only colors we got were from different weapons with different specs, and by joe we loved it. You young'ins don't know how good you got it.

>tfw trying to emulate some older AC titles, when my idiot friends keep texting me, asking me why I'm not playing Zelda or Persona
>explaining that I'm not a fan of those games
>"wow dude seriously stop being an autistic virgin and have some fun, nobody cares about that gay robo shit"
>mfw

Day of the rope when?

It's not because they dislike AC, it's because they wanted to share their video games with you but you're not letting them.

People flock to brand new AAA titles because all their friends are doing it, and they like feeling validated in their choice by being able to talk to all their friends about it.

Playing AC instead of BOTW is like being that one guy who surfs the web on his phone when his friends invite him to a party. You've got better things to do, you're not interested in the party, but they really wanted you to get involved.

Maybe they should play AC instead of zelda

Maybe they should, but they won't because they care more about the social aspect of gaming than the creative or mechanical aspect.

the eternal struggle withing doing something because you like the activity itself, or because it gives a change of social interaction, is always a sad tale.

bump.

bump.

bump.

bump.

I've run into a similar situation. When I'm with friends when they're in town, I'll be happy to play their games because it's what's "in" with the young people, so I don't want to be a party pooper. Unfortunately, not alot of care care for AC, so even if I show it to them, they show a passing interest at best. I think that's such a pity. But there's not much you can do. Just leave them to their enjoyment, while I sit back and satiate my autism by creating a pixel perfect emblem which I can never get right because it has to be perfectly symmetrical.

It's surprising to me how many friends I have that, as soon as I talk about AC, their first question is:

>"Did a new game just came out? Is it on PC?"

And when I explain that the best games were on the PS2 they aren't interested at all. There are VERY few games I think that can hold interest past their original console generation. Mario, Smash, Mega Man, maybe Metal Gear Solid, Morrowind, etc. AC is definitely not one of them.

I thought to myself "Would they play shadow of the collosus?" Probably not. So it's not about how good or critically acclaimed a game is, it's still more about the convenience and social factor.

I think the best angle to getting people into AC is the uniqueness. There's few games like it, therefore it's worth going back to the past to enjoy. Most success I've had was:
>It's like dark souls, but an action shooter, and from the same people
>there's even more customization
>there's nothing quite like it

People play games like Titanfall and get lukewarm on Armored Core because Titanfall seems like an "alright" game and they judge all other mech games by it, so a PS2-era titanfall sounds like a waste of time. But people who are still playing Mech Warrior Online, if you can get past the "western mechs only" mentality can really enjoy AC.

>people who can get past the western mechs only mentality

Hah, after the military shooter craze, suddenly everyone wants to talk realism and how "robots aren't practical" because video games can't have a fantasy element to them. Heaven forbid something whimsical happen.

Mech dev here, back again with some questions for you all.

Here's an example of the basic mech. I feel as if the proportions are off. Thoughts?

It'd probably be helpful if I posted a picture.

Yes, there is a lack of hands. I'm still working on them.

Here is a diagram of how parts work. Currently, arms are considered one unit but I'm considering allowing the user to choose both left and right arms for slightly asymmetric designs. I don't really want to do that for legs, however, due to how my animation system is setup.

Once again...

I think it needs another segment for the arms as like pseudo shoulders or something so that when the arms rest they'll be right next to the legs without touching them.

Besides that the design looks great.

I actually just added shoulders this morning. They can roll a little bit for a bit of extra movement.

Torso is way too tall. Human torsos look longer than they really are but for mechs narrow/short chests and nonexistent torsos are more common because they give a sense of size and scale (it makes the legs look much longer).

This makes me think of a cool idea for dealing with mech damage (I think I might have mentioned this before) where you essentially have a different hurtbox for each body part, and instead of doing damage, you do "status effects". Like each body part has a heat bar, and when enough heat damage is taken to that location, certain functions cease.

So say you have an armor stat, which has high heat resistance. If you use armor-piercing bullets, it wears down the armor stat until is "breaks" and now the underlying armor is exposed, which allows you to use high heat rounds now. Other effects would be like crushed or severed joints, electricity attacks causing arms to fail

So instead of killing someone by depleting their HP to zero, you find weaknesses in their armor and wear it down until they're just a broken mess that can't attack or move, or their cockpit is exposed.

Yeah, that's more in line with my thinking. I thought I could remedy it by scaling up the legs and maybe shrinking down a bit of the torso.

Does pic related look a bit better?

Yeah, I plan on doing modular hitboxes, but visual decay is a bit too impractical for me to pull off as I'm only one person. I was probably just going to resort to a flat "armor" value that is just decreased as the part takes damage.

Looks better.

>visual decay is a bit too impractical for me to pull off

You wouldn't need visual decay, just disable certain controls or change animations, and put a warning light on the screen like "ARMOR DOWN" flashing over some part that changes its stats.

Something like:

Armor (0 to 1000)
Shielding (0 to 1000)
Energy (0 to 1000, slowly recharges)
Cooling (0 to 1000, slowly recharges)

So each weapon would do a certain amount of damage to armor, and certain amount to shielding, a certain amount to energy, and a certain amount to cooling.

If armor reaches 0, that part is completely disabled (can't attack using that arm, etc.), and at, say, 50% armor value,for legs, your mobility is reduced, 50% armor for arms you can't swing melee weapons (but you can fire guns), etc.
If shielding reaches 0, armor damage is allowed (if shielding exists, armor damage is blocked)
If energy reaches 0, that part is temporarily disabled until it restores to full, maybe also have other effects like making the screen fuzzy for energy depleted head parts.
If cooling reaches 0, armor continually is damaged until it restores to full

And each weapon would be like:
Rifle Damage
>Armor: 10
>Shield: 5
>Energy: 0
Cooling: 10

Armor Piercing Damage
>Armor 5
>Shield 20
>Energy 0
>Cooling 0

Chemical Weapon damage
>Armor 5
>Shield 5
>Energy 20
>Cooling 50

ECM weapon damage
>Armor 5
>Shield 5
>Energy 50
>Cooling 20

Melee weapon damage
>Armor 20
>Shield 100 ( a successful strike can break through shielding in one hit)
>Energy 10
>Cooling 10

And each body part will have different armor/shield, etc. values, so some mechs will have really strong shields and armor, but low energy defense , some will have high armor but small shields, and some will have high shielding but low armor.

So the game's strategy would involve swapping certain weapons to break the enemy's strategy.

Yeah I've been flirting with ideas similar to what you described. The reality of the situation though is that it takes a lot of time and effort to get these systems in place. My first goal is to get a rough gameplay loop going, but I wanted to get some animations up first. To get animations going, I needed a standard rig, so I've been putting time into making my first standard mech. All other mechs will use retargeting to try and match that rig's animations.

Seeing the Devposting has got me thinking, what if there was a core that was designed to ram into people, pre-equipped with the fastest boosters but you can't change course when it's active

Like everyone else said, I'd give your mech some thunder thighs and a smaller torso.

AC was doing Extra thicc long before it became popular.

>logic
Don't bother, that's just someone who drops by every couple months to make a generic
>I like AC but my friends are casuals and don't understand why I like AC reeeee
post.
>thunder thigh mechs
Yeeeeeees.
But also sizeable-but-not-quite-thunder thighs. Because those are nice too.
Something tells me that it would be the best core in the game unless there were some serious drawbacks, like energy use.
But I don't have an emulator.
Or a rom.
And even if I did it would be fresh and have no parts.

Bump.

Bump.

A rare Ring World spotted.

Bump.

Bump

>someone reposted my OC

Feels good.

Bump.

What are you developing, again?

I love all art of ring world

stylish

what head is that?

Shoji Kawamori
I just want him back.
Make the left mech but with ac4 - 4a proportions

Kek

Wouldnt most ACs looks like a mix of white glint and rosenthal?

He can totally do variations.
I mean i just like his sci-fi look really.

Most ACs would look like AC2 generation, or Patlabor or Escaflowne.

Given that Miyazaki says he would make an Escaflown style game bringing kawamori back for that sounds likely, depending on how attached he is to Nabeshima.

Bump.

All these japanese names are so hard to keep track of.

>Miyazaki
>Kawamori
>Nabeshima

Yes, and a ching chong nip nong to you too, sir.