Should I buy a C5?

First job out of school, making 42,000 a year and living with parents. I contemplate putting into retirement fund, investing, or saving but my heart wants C5.

I currently drive a 2nd gen Scion tC. It gets good mileage, does pretty well in the turns without passengers, and has toyota reliability but I miss the thrust of a V8. Is the vette the way to go?

Other urls found in this thread:

milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-chev-corvette-convertible/6293314295.html
newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/2002-chevy-corvette/6313966198.html
newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-corvette-zo6/6297753228.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

42k isn't really a lot. What's the C5 going to cost you up front and maintenance, and how long will it last?

I'm thinking maybe something more than a tC and less than a C5 as a stepping stone.

What would fit that description?

A V6 mustang

Don't be a dumb wigger, put the money in a retirement fund
Unless you wanna be the 70 year old working at Walmart making end's meet

How often are you really going to find the opportunity to get your money's worth out of a Corvette anyways?

Like I could probably go out and get myself a ZL-1 Camaro right now, but it would be stupid of me to do.

If your parents are cool with the idea your using your money on cars and not your "future", go for it. But that's my own lower-class experience were they weren't, ymmv

Just do it.
you're only young once. You can't take your money with you when you die.
I make 45k/yr 2nd year out of college.

I have my own house. I pay $500/mo after mortgage/insurance/taxes/etc. about $150 for internet & utilities.

I bought my 06 GTO for $12k this summer.
I pay $230/mo. Insurance is about $50/mo

I still have a good amount of extra income after all my other expenses. I save some and burn some where I want.
Just don't buy dumb impulse shit you dont need like new phones every year or expensive meals. It's not hard.

Your payment would be about the same on a 97-04 C5. You can get a clean regular C5 for $9000-12000. Can find the occasional clean z06 now for $12000-15000.
Hell nicely built c5's are going for $12-14k.

Just do it, they're pretty reliable and extremely fun to drive. You can always sell it and get most if not all your money back if you decide you want to save again.

Sad but true.

the fuck u niggers all talking about? acting like the c5 is a $30-40k car.

They're cheap as fuck now. a 30-40k salary wouldnt have an issue buying one and still being able to save a bunch of money especially if living at home still

42k a year and want a 12k car? Go for it, I make like 25k a year and drive a 20k car. I do just fine on the payments and maintenance and will be able to move out as soon as it's paid off because the car payment and full coverage insurance is more than a house payment would be.

I don't know. A C5 would be brilliant if that's where your heartstrings are tugging you and you know how to handle it, but don't do it at the expense of something else.

>OP makes minimum wage and lives with his parents
>yeah dude buy a Corvette

>~$20/hr
>min-wage

Shit you NEETs are fucking stupid.

>GTO

Go with what this guy's driving, OP.

>make $50k/yr
>live with parents

And I'm not moving out until I get married, which at this rate will never happen...

If that's the case, buy it now while you can still find color and option you want.

Living in NYC, I don't have the luxury of financing because full insurance is too expensive. Also, C5's here are way more expensive with owners trying to get 18,000 out of the usual 50k miles, 2001 coupe.

A C4

As someone who makes 85k a year with a c5z06 i say go for it. You can get a non z06 for as little as 10k. I paid 20. They can be good on gas and fun as fuck to track. But DD it sucks cause its nit much fun. Cheap parts for a sports car but due to it being low getting under it can be an issue if you dont have the tools or space.

No

Had one, biggest problem with those shitty electonics

but it's half the price of a ND miata

As a dd, i miss my miata, but had more fun with the vette on the track then the miata, both are great. Id recomend a miata as well.
You could get an rx7 op

Aren't RX-7s expensive to maintain?

Not only is the miata way overpriced for the lack of quality craftsmanship and materials but it is also not that great on the highway

>GM
>Quality craftsmanship and materials

Lol

If ur talking about the c5 interior, its shit. Trust me. C6 is better. Good for DD

dude if you live in NYC
1) you don't need a car
2) you can't afford a car with 42k a year

Verry
This is true. Forgot ur in nyc.

That's not anything special, considering you don't have a home or a retirement fund

Get your life in order first

You can buy a BRZ/FR-S or STI for $10-15k. My buddy owns a C5 ZO6, and he tells me "the vette tax is real"

Every modification you will want is going to cost you double, simply because boomers are willing to pay it. Where as with the other 2, the prices on mods are a lot cheaper. With the brz/frs, you still keep Toyota reliability and get 30+ mpg. With the STI, you get comparable speed to a vette, but with the practicality of a sedan and AWD. Also, having a 2 seater is a major adjustment in life.

>lived in NYC
>makes like $45k a year
>wants a car
No, just no.

I had a C4 and if I could afford it would've Kept it but I barely had a job then.

>Toyota Reliability
Yeah right... My 2011 Scion 's sunroof rails just broke and I need to replace for $700. Also, the engine bay is rusting already, way worse than a 20 year old car.

Don't forget, lives with parents, owes nothing in student loans cause got education in city. Will register and insure under father's name for savings. Is it really that hard to maintain a Vette once you buy it?

Odd, it looks like the C6 is more plastic-like and breaks more easily?

Looks better than my c5 ill tell you whut. But i love my z06. Not as much fun as i thought but yeah

The prospect of owning any car, let alone a sports car in NYC should be enough of a deterrent. And you know saving up to get his own place, preferably outside that shithole

How about a bicycle? Or a motorized bicycle.

Move out and stop being a baby, you stupid millenial

truth. I feel like in my field I will never be able to afford a sports car once I move out. We mental health counselors make shitty salaries and I have always been into motorsports. I currently enjoy riding my 2005 cbr600rr but I'm starting to miss the vette life from when I had a C4. I am also saving for retirement, folks, dont worry about that lol

I was in a similar situation making 40k my first job out of school living at home.
I took home $2300/month after taxes/insurance

I bought my 04 Cobra for 16k at the time. Had a $380/mo payment.
I banked $1000/mo. Had $300 in bills between insurance/phone/student loan. I still had a bunch of extra play money even throwing a ton $ extra against the car & student loan every month and into my 401k
2 years later I had my student loans paid off, car half paid off. Got my house. 2 years later I paid off the car. Sold it bought my 05 CTSV with cash from the Cobra sale. Also had a healty 401k already at that time for a 24 year old.

Just saying you guys act like he's gonna blow his whole income on the car when it'll be a small ass fraction and the C5 wont lose a ton of value over the next couple years as they're already getting to a bottom.

If you want to be an anal super responsible adult with a stick up your ass then sure. Like another user mentioned youre only young once. Enjoy it, spoil yourself long as you can control yourself outside of that. Dont spoil yourself every day to $10-30 meals. Dont buy a bunch of useless fad shit.

With bolt ons/maybe a cam . around 400-450hp you wont break much. Only thing to maybe worry is the rear diff. Theyre reliable drivetrains. Suspension is a bit pricier but otherwise big aftermarket that isnt really any more expensive then the other shit.

Now this also all depends on where you live. If you're in NYC where cost of living is stupid high then 40k isnt shit and maybe you should avoid the vette unless you plan to save up $ and then move.

I make 55k now but when I was making 40k I was still doing pretty good considering im in Missouri in an area where the median HOUSEHOLD income is 35-45k.

I feel you, but I have a sports car and you don't know how badly I wish I had a bike instead plus an econobox for daily driving
Grass is greener etc.

c5 owner here, what mods are you referencing that are so expensive? The only thing I can think of is exhaust. Even then I didnt think that was too bad , there are cheap options. I bought the full TSP Header/x pipe kit for $750 and the SLP LM catback for $760. So around $1500 in the whole exhaust including the longtubes. THats about as much as youll have in most other brand name exhausts. You dont HAVE To buy a $1800-2500 corsa catback.

Otherwise it's just an LS1/LS/LS3. The internal mods/valvetrain/etc are all the same mostly between them and prices hardly vary.

Suspension is a bit more but for the average person the corvette suspension is actually already pretty solid unless you're building for pure drag racing in which case why the shit do you own a vette.

See if you can get the same job somewhere more rural. $45k in NYC is poverty tier but elsewhere you can live a decently comfortable life
>larger homes with nice lots in Charlotte starting at $200k

I am not going to be making any payments whatsoever. I will be buying for cash and insuring liability only. I know I can't afford to finance and insure fully in NYC.

That's definitely the plan. I'm working on my professional license, almost halfway done with the hours, then when I have the NYS license almost any other state will take me because they know how hard we slave away up here and for the same wage (sometimes you get more in rural areas).

milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-chev-corvette-convertible/6293314295.html
How about this corvette?

I would but its a vert

>not killing yourself at 65

Putting money away for retirement is one of the stupidest things you can do with your money. You could put away a million dollars today and by the time you're old enough to retire, it would only be worth 30-40% of what it is now.

Buy property, buy appreciating assets, buy into something that will generate passive income, or just spend it. Letting it sit for 30-40+ years is as good as dumping the majority of it into a furnace.

t. richfag

>make $50k/yr
>live with parents
This is casual mode. I make $150k+ annually and still live with mommy.

Just wait until you find a good deal on a '96 vette,

LT-4s were badass, late C4s were badass, and you won't be breaking the bank on a generic C5.

Mommy probably lives with you, lol.

Wtf is with all the negativity? C5's are cheap as fuck (relatively).

If you can pay cash for one, yes.

otherwise find something else fast you can afford

He lives in NYC. Cars are a terrible thing to have in NYC

>$36,000 car is faster on track than $15,000

true, but irrelevant

>retirement funds offer no rate of return

nigga wut

Of course. Why would I take a loan on a car that's going to need thousands of dollars a year of repairs?

>new phones every year
I never understood why people do this.

this

I'm a NYC fag, just moved here cause I got offered a good job from the company I intern'd for. Giving them a couple years of experience then getting the hell out. It's awful as a car enthusiast. Luckily I like the NYC life outside of the automotive aspect so I'm not as miserable as I could be.
I had my '11 mustang GT here with me the first couple months and instantly realized how much I was risking with the cramped super busy street (I live in a pretty standard tiny ass apartment with on street parking less than 10 blocks from times square). Then just driving anywhere with hours of stop and go with the 6speed is just awful.
I took it back to Ohio and left it at my parents within the first couple months living here. I bought a $700 96 auto corolla just for the rare times I do need to leave the city. I dont mind it as much but it's completely worthless having anything nice/enthusiast level if you live in NYC.

Op here. I live in queens and the car culture is real here. Especially when we ride out to deep Long Island or drive upstate on route 9w and then west on 6 to bear mtn.

Why not a V8 Mustang or Honda s2000?

Because for the same price you're getting slower cars

Because the S2000 is about the same price but more costly to maintain. ANd the Mustang is made by Ford so that's a no no.

Do it. Reliable, and a good DD. Automoatic is really fucking bad in tehse tho.

Fucking do it. Bought a C5z 6 months ago. $15K 2004 with 80K miles. You can fucking roast pretty much anything on the street. 0-60 In 3.9 and the 1/4 In 12 flat if you lrn2launch.

Yeah if you're an army vet

How reliable are the z06s compared to the coupes? I'm worried about maintenance costs with the higher spec.

No
If you're interested in a corvette get a c4 zr1 for the same money. They have bottomed out and are going to start appreciating soon you'll only lose money on a c5

>NYC is only Manhattan the post

Travel, they're piss common if you're willing to drive a hour out to suburban Jersey/PA/Long Island. Its expensive to get full coverage on a new car here because of every retard and crooked body shop trying to rip insurance companies off for any little fender bender. I'd personally just get a CTS-V.

newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/2002-chevy-corvette/6313966198.html

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-corvette-zo6/6297753228.html

I have two, just don't park them out in the streets like a putz unless you live in a nice area like southern Staten Island, College Point/Whitestone, or a white part of the Bronx (and in those areas you might as well be in the suburbs).

NYC isn't that bad. There's a lot of car enthusiasts and the shops that cater to them just from the sheer amount of people and money there is flowing around. You'll see ten times the amount of sports cars here in three days than 2-3 weeks in Tokyo. I just wish we had closer racetracks and touges (both about 2 hours away at least)

Yeah, NYC is that bad. Why anybody would want a car there is beyond me. Just so that your nocar friends can ask you haul their shit all the time while pajeets who can't drive aren't driving crown vics and you're stuck with nothing but mexican techno-salsa on the radio?

I wouldn't even want to be a richfag who commutes by boat from great neck or somethig because it's still all jews and the sand niggers are flooding in and neither one of them can drive. NYC is nothing but misery if you are in to cars at all.

>have spine
>tell nocar friends to get a fucking zipcar

there problem solved

>pajeets

what if i told you they moved on from crown vics onto suburbans, its terrifying. there's more of them too cause of uber/lyft

>jews and sandniggers

always been here, white transplants from ohio and california are the real threat. they're the ones raising your rents and pushing bike lanes and diversity everywhere. fuk wypipo.

it could be worse, you could always be living in a 3rd world country/europe or be broke living in a flyover state where the median job pays $10 a hour. or live in somewhere even shittier like chicago or minneapolis.

Nah, they're senpaitachi. I get how they're dirt poor even though they won't quit the city because they're completely and entirely insane and rely on gibs like me being nice.

I don't know why you'd want to move to c-town or minneapolis. What the fuck man. There's like an entire country half the size of a continent out there where you can get away from all that shit. Hoon erryday, not just that one bump going south on the west side highway as long as traffic doesn't suck dick.

People move to cities to LA/NYC/SF because you can get a job in any field you work in and they'll all pay well. Even a garbageman/police officer makes $80-120k a year. NYC for example is the center of finance/fashion with huge tech and media industries (Hollywood/TV, Journalism, and Broadway).

You come to the city to make money, not to settle down and make a family. You come here because that degree you got at LSU didn't do shit for you and you're sick of waiting tables at a Applebees in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I make $25/hr doing piss-easy environmental consulting work I know I wouldn't be able to do outside of NY/NJ/CA (everywhere else the same position pays $10-12/hr less with way less demand). Its not as easy to find a "well-paying" comfortable job outside of a big city especially if you don't have a degree or you have a specialization that can't get you a job.

Shit, I'd personally love to move South to AZ/TX or Louisiana. I won't without getting a degree that guarantees a decent job, because then i'll be no better than any other unskilled high school graduate there.

>oy vey
>my shekels
We're talking about cars, while you're working for the Jew. And where's that getting you in life?

You need money to own cars so shekels are Veeky Forums related :^)

One of the first shocks when I moved out of NY was that my insurance dropped to 1/3 of what it used to be.

That was when I was a poorfag. I really just don't know why you would defend living in shekel city when it comes to driving. It's one of the absolute total worst places to ever have to drive in. More like cuck city. I don't know how people put up with it beyond the occasional fun of cutting of some motherfucker or literally hitting some bastard knowing he won't do anything but yell at you and give you the finger as you drive past with the superior traffic position.

I kind of got over bumper cars when I was a child.

Don't put money into retirement fund. What's job? What education do you have?

I spent 6 years doing construction making similar/more money than you. It was a mistake to waste that much time. I saved a bit of money and I'm going back to school now for engineering. Entry level engineering jobs are something like 62k nationally, more like 70k/yr in my area.

Tuition is $500/month for good local community college with strong engineering program, which will transfer to the state university for me to finish a bachelors at. Total costs for tuition and shit will be less than $30k.

Put some money aside for that kind of shit. Doesn't have to be a ton, but consider that 6,000 can pay your tuition for an entire year, which is half of an associates degree for your field.

Inb4 hurrdurr do a trade

fuck off cucks I've been a tradesman my whole life and my body is already fucking ruined at 25

also, on the subject of the car

Fuck it, buy the piece of shit. I made around $50k a year and drove a $30k truck every day with no problems financially. Was very comfortable money wise and it was nice to step into a nice vehicle every day.

but for real, put some money towards increasing your income too.

I have a bike and an econobox. I fucking hate the econobox and wish I had a modern ute with a V8 in it instead.

Definitely grab it user, they are not very expensive and are very fun to drive!

Used corvettes are always white trash tier. They reflect the inherent flaws in the body, the cheapness in the plastics, the thin leather and chipped paint, in other words peak GM. All those were overlooked when new because it was so fast and compared to cars it competed against performance wise. Then they went and sold as many as they could rather than being limited production and keeping it exclusive. And it was usually some old sugar daddy slime ball who thought he was alpha as fuck becsuse he had strippers on his arms because he had hundred sollar bills for coke hanging from his Johnson. Make sure you dont have body glitter in the seats.

Now when looking at them used, their only value is parts donors for hotrods. Find another car.

isn't that the one with the lotus motor that noone wants to work on?

Bike lanes are cool for motorcycles. I ride on that shit every day.

Drive your current car until the wheels come off.
Stay away from the corvette until you're in your 40s.
Save your money.

What the hell do I need a corvette in my 40s for when I'll have kids a wife and a house? That's when I'll buy a Chevy SS to haul my badass family around in or itll problably be some electric shitbox.