BMW Stock Radios

I just bought an '87 325i and I love it.

The only thing that needs replacing is the radio as its cassette player doesn't work and I'm gonna kill myself having to listen to the radio any longer.

So, I want to keep a stock radio in it but I need to figure out a way to get a auxiliary line in. So, should I find a replacement stock radio that's tape function works and hard wire on in or should I spring for something like that Blaupunkt Nashville (pic related) ? The Blaupunkt has the line in built in which is pretty nice.

Also, do I need to get an amplifier?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AGkP1EjZwto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can definitely convert any tape player to an Aux in. You just have to know how to solder.

The Blaupunkt is absolutely a better stereo though. Personally, that's the route I would go. ALL Alpine stereos that control a changer also have an Aux input, all the way back into the 80's. It's a simple $5 adapter that converts the CD changer input to an Aux input. So long as you get an Alpine that can change the display color, from Green to Amber, it'll look just as good in your dash as the Blaupunkt will.

As far as an amp, that pretty much *always* makes your stereo sound better. More clean power means that the sound is, well, cleaner. You don't have to go crazy on an amp though, with 500 watts or more. Even a modest amp that's 30 watts per channel will provide a huge improvement in sound.

>I'm gonna kill myself having to listen to the radio any longer.
just get a ten dollar fm trasmitter.

enjoy your absolute shit tier audio quality

but that quality is mad spotty

Damn that radio is sexy, thanks OP

Going to get one for my 380SL

You could fit a later stock one with a CD autochanger remote.
E36s and Z3s were still single DIN (I think)

>87 325i

fugg, that’s the exact car I had before it lit on fire in an intersection. Take care of it, they’re creat cars

how DO you convert a cassette player to aux, though

So I've got a 323i E36 and was using direct piggyback onto the tape head via 1.5w 10k resistors to 3.5mm aux jack.

worked ok but you need to turn source volume down to like 10% and the amp on the head unit up

it's kinda hacky but worked good.

i broke it when i took my dash out so i put a new one in

8/10 would do the mod

you guys have all been super helpful but it seems like both the Blaupunkt and Alpine are good routes. Which should I go with?

youtube.com/watch?v=AGkP1EjZwto

>how do I google

If you could find an Alpine CDA-7876, you'd be in the business. Apparently they're kinda rare though, so that sucks.

don't these have awful sound quality?

Not really. You have to turn the source volume to the appropriate level and then turn the players volume up to compensate. These things do not like high source volumes. It's not like aux were you can crank it up on your phone.

Slightly better than FM modulator. So yes.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
You're welcome

Why are you listening to the fucking Twilight soundtrack?

I have a 2x Becker Indianapolis Pro which i believe was either stock or an option in E46

And I absolutely fucking love them
In a Miata and an IS300.
They just look clean and stock with all the functions you need- bluetooth, aux, ipod, mp3

Aftermarket blaupunkt radios from the 80s are extremely expensive and generally not worth. The American issued Japanese built pioneer and Alpine units have more features than the euro stuff, but are basically trash quality-wise and will break in a hot minute if you manage to get ahold of a working unit. In my opinion, the best thing to do and what I did with my e28 is I bought a stock blaupunkt unit (Bavaria C) ((check your wiring harness to see if it's the early or late style)) and I got a cassette adapter to plug my phone in. The adapter has no perceivable loss in audio fidelity as far as I can tell. You won't pick up most AM stations on a euro radio, but you should be able to get all FM stations fine. If you have the factory premium Soundsystem, you will already have a somewhat low power blaupunkt amp mounted in the top of your trunk

Just realized I assumed you were American. Ignore the stuff about picking up stations if you're a European. Definitely still avoid the American Alpine/pioneer radios even moreso if you're euro