Why shouldn't I buy an rx8?

Why shouldn't I buy an rx8?

You should, so Veeky Forums can laugh at you when it lunches apex and coolant seals.

It's buttugly and expensive to maintain.

Rotary reliability and no power. Also meme 4 door.

Because the RX7 exists

Don't be a rotard.

You should
>Cheap as fuck
>Fast as fuck
>50/50
Drive it like you stole it and 13b it if it blows

i forget, what is the vintage to avoid? is it pre 04 or pre 08?

>he fell for the doritos meme
senpai please

pre 09
either way you have to swap the shitty starter

i actually like that bumper, looks way nicer than the RX8 facelift

>Why shouldn't I buy an rx8?
why do you make this same post with the same pic?

I just googled rx8 and grabbed the first image

I don't care how unreliable that would be - i want to feel those 12 brapmachines brapping me straight into geostationary orbit.

iirc, there exits a 12x dorito, but it's for a boat

I just watched the video.
That thing pulls 200HP at... idle

Because it is all the hassle and expense of a rotary engine, without any of the cool factor of the FD or FC

this is the true power of the samurai engine

Because you probably can't afford to LS swap it.

4-cylinder power with 8-cylinder fuel consumption with the added benefit of 2-stroke oil burning.

Great engine that renesis rotary.

This

Fast as fuck? What planet are you from?

14s 1/4 Mile is not fast at all.

wallet seppaku: need anymore dumb ideas?

>mfw they set a glass of water on top of that monster and it barely even rippled
it's amazing how an engine that powerful can produce so little vibration.

This is the true power of apex seals.

Have you ever seen one irl? They look much different than they do in the pictures.

the renesis's actual name is the 13B-MSP

if you look in through the engine bay, you will see "13B" stamped othe rotor housing

just premix if pre 09, and it eats less of your oil since not enough oil injection

1/4 mile times doesn't correlate to track times for most cars. a lot of people don't care for drag racing either since it's mostly who has the bigger wallet wins. when you can do good on the toogay or in autox without having to build a crazy hp monster, or circuit racing at a track.

when people say throw a 13b in it, they mean a real one, that can actually take mods well and make real power gains, which the renesis doesn't when compared to a 13b in an rx7 (i can't confirm how well a 12a or 13b from the fb does, everyone i've talked to with a 13b fb has an fc or fd motor)

if you're going to leave it stock the rx8 is great for what it is, and it's easily found for cheap. if you wanna mod it look around and wait for a cheap fc rx7. you gain much more power for your money. and if you have an na you don't need machine work to reliably turbo it, just the turbo bits, your ems of choice and rebuild the na trans, or the usually easier route of just swapping in turbo trans and diff.

i like this face

more like 6 cylinder power. n/a 4 cylinders dont make that much power unless they're vtec rev shitters or turbo

My RF900 RS2 does 0-60 in 2.9
>Been waiting for 5 days for a new fuel pump to arrive in the mail.

>That much power

You have a maybe 30-50hp difference with an average 4 cylinder from the era, and an even lower torque band. 4 cylinder power it is.

The only reason I don't own one is because the only place around me that'll work on a rotary is the mazda dealership.

I really want one, but it would have to be a second car because I can't use that and still be a pizza delivery driver

You merely lack the will of the samurai.

>go on delivery
>get to location, turn off car and get out
>get back into car to drive back to restaurant
>flooded engine
Also
>needing to get gas every night
I don't think I get payed enough for that

The Jew fears the Samurai, not the other way around.

I'm thinking of buying an rx7, is there anything like this out there for it? Does this advice apply to it as well? I'd ideally like to daily drive it

Daily drive it? Fuck me good luck user. It can be done, just be ready for the insane engine heat.

Hell I talk shit, but I DD an R33 GTST. I can't say I know a ton about rotaries anyway.

>That thing pulls 200HP at... idle

that's like late 90s GM V8 territory

>wanting to tithe the gasoline Jews daily

Because you're not fucking ready. No one is ready for the eventual complications of a rotary-engined car. They demand a masochistic owner, and at times can be luxury-expensive to maintain.

Yeah they're fun but that's a high cost.

>tfw buy premium gas
>and don't give a fuck
There's no time to hoon after you're dead, user

Lots of the maintenance from rx-8 infograph(redlining, premix, etc) does carry over to the 13b in the rx-7 as they are both rotaries.
In this one instance, the older 13b is better than the newer renesis.

A trend I've noticed -- There are a fuckton of Mazda guys out there that respect and love the rotary, but want nothing to do with it. I know more than a couple that bought rotaries and just watched them rot or get resold.

Because when it's running, it's a god machine. A proper turbo setup and nothing else is like it on the road. It's lighter than anything, has almost zero weight over the front wheels, and the red line is insane. But as soon as anything goes wrong and it will go wrong, you break out in a cold sweat

>4 rotors 13B RX8

>fast as fuck
You've either never driven one or the only other car you have ever been in was a Tercel. They are disappointingly slow, with zero practical ways to remedy it

renesis

Fan boys will never admit how fucking slow rx8 is. Good luck getting decent gains from bolt on.

>inb4 muh backseats
My grandfather had an early rx8, even at like 9 or 10 years old the back seat was USELESS, had to sit sideways

hueh hueh hueh

> and if you have an na you don't need machine work to reliably turbo

>turbo charging a 6 port 13b

That's never been worth it, just t2 swap and be done with it, or just buy a t2.

lower torque band than the average 4 cylinder at the time?

I think we're gonna need citations

4 cylinder power. Honda Civic K20, stock.

A Gt350r gets better milage

Burns as much oil though.

and yet, no torque.

> average 4-cylinder
> compares to the best 4-cylinder

You're not wrong, but still

> I don't understand mathematics

>do you have ready amounts of disposable income?
>do you have auto mechanic skills?
pick one or both but if you cant dont buy it

How much?

t. a litre /1000km Nissan owner

Slow as fuck.

implying torque has any other job than to make horsepower

& slow as fuck.

why not get an RX7 and look cool for the week that you'll have the car running

i did something like this, but with a fiero gt instead. it was worth it

>Used RX-8s are cheap
>A cheap RX-8 is liable to blow an apex seal and cost more in repairs than you paid for it

the RX-8 paradox

Might have better luck buying one off of an RX-8 forum from someone who doesn't treat it like a normal car, but at higher prices the value component drifts away.

>buy cheap RX with blown engine
>fix it by swapping in a good engine
>have reliable car
>?????

>could just spend the $4k for the rx8 and $10k for all the LS1 swap stuff on a c5 or something and have a faster car.

Ehh. It's slightly lighter than the vette and just different. You're still going to loose money trying to keep the rotary alive.

It's still a piece of shit engine? I know.

A 1ZZ in a scion makes about 170hp and an even fatter torque curve.

Accept the loss.

> 1ZZ in a scion makes 170hp

You have to turbo a 1zz to make that much power, you must be talking about another engine

This but with either the LFX or J32A2 and turbo them

Both of those weigh as much as the LS and are close to the same physical size. You need a turbo to make what a high compression LS can make NA.

The J32 does not weigh anywhere near the LS, fully dressed or not
I can't speak for the LFX, but I'm pretty sure it's all aluminum design and the fact it has two fewer cylinders might lend to the thought that you're wrong on that count as well

>c5 and have a faster car.
A heavier car with poorer suspension and the same engine will not be faster.

I really want one of these without the dorito. Is it worth it to use anything besides an LS?

An rx8 with a LS1 swap would weight as much as a regular c5, and the suspension would still need to be upgraded since a LS weights double what a renesis does.

People have swapped the following engines into them, depends on if you got the money/willing to spend it
>13B-REW
>20B-REW
>1JZ-GTE VVTi
>2JZ-GTE VVTi
>K20A2
>K24A2
>SR20DET
>3S-GE BEAMS Blacktop
>GM LFX

>3S-GE BEAMS

why not just a 3rd or 4th gen 3S-GTE?

You could, it would just require a different oil pan being as you're trying to mount a transverse engine longitudinally

S-GE BEAMS
>why not just a 3rd or 4th gen 3S-GTE?

Why not just turbo the BEAMS? It's got the better head

Objectively the best rotary for daily driving
Check service history and do a compression test. If good and you know how change oil every 3k and not limiter bash a cold engine, is a 200k+ Miles engine ez

You obviously don’t know what a BEAMS engine feels like.
Its like a rotary without the rotary part.
Slapping turbos everywhere doesnt make the car instantly better

Are there any gains to be made on a BEAMS 3S? Aren't they pretty much maxed out at that point?