What was the highest gear you ever reached?

What was the highest gear you ever reached?

I once went into 4th. FUCK it was scary.

Liar

probably somewhere around .7:1th gear ratio in my CVT

Tfw purposely staying in third cause it sounds so nice at highway speeds

>I once went into 4th. FUCK it was scary.
Damn, and I thought 3rd was a nightmare.

27 on my mountain bike

My car reaches 65mph in second but I once snuck it into third. No idea what fourth, fifth, and fucking sixth are for when one and two are all you need for street legal driving.

I put it in D gear, but im still new to cars. Is that high?

I was going to say 9, but I guess it's just 8th.

they're for better mileage

Yeah man, that's real high. Most normies never get past the N gear. D has a lot of power.

5th because fuck highway mileage.

>vegan friend doesn't know anything about cars
>wanted his own car since he and his wife shared one and went shopping during his week of leave
>ends up liking the BRZ but has never driven manual in his life and no autos were available
>drives back 1000 miles back to base in 4th gear because "he didn't need to go fast enough for 5th"
I wish I made that up. When he told me it's a "gas guzzler" I was a little confused at first.

Top jej

R for Ridiculously high gear

Not as bad as my mom.

>Stopped at red light
>WRX next to us takes off
>Mom asks why the car is so loud for a few seconds after taking off
>Explain that the driver needs to increase the RPMs before switching to second gear
>She asks if the WRX has a special control for increasing RPMs

D for Drift

in car 4th because ive driven a car with a 4spd auto and in the 5spd manual ive never been going fast enough to warrant 5th
on bike 5th because no 6th

Cus duck fuel economy, but I am guilty of such practices too

I once went into overdrive and shat my pants

>playing g NFS2015
>8 gears in my 1990 Miata

Video games pls

One time I wanted to be /devilish/ so instead of D3 I put her in D4. Wasn't as exciting as I thought and the car actually felt slower.

12th

>
Well duh. The D on an autotragic stands for "Divide by" that is how much it divides the power of the engine by, hence auto's being slow and less fuel efficient.

Maximum overdrive.

Incorrect, it actually stands for 'Dull'
Dull 4 would be a very high boredom setting

10th gear in a Freightshaker

>Because it has a loud exhaust

That would have been the correct answer

I had to explain something similar to my grandmother.

>Be me at 13 years old.
>Grandmother has Mazda B2300.
>5 speed gearbox, but 5th gear is shown as Overdrive, so it's just a 'D' on the shifter with a Circle Around it.
>Notice that she never used it, used every other gear but that 'D'. Ask her why.
>"I dont know what it does so i dont mess with it."
>Go home research, learn it is overdrive, essentially 5th gear.
>Explain this to her, she learns and uses it.

5 high, or ten.

5 th at 6200 rpm. I was only going 150 km/h sadly.

Ooh, mine was in an international s 1700

What car is that? Some new 3 cyl?

Honda fit 1.5 L15A sohc with 4 people and 200 lbs of camping enrollment equipment

Drift gear. Don't push it too hard, greenhorn.

Cuck.

Weight doesnt change gear ratios user, 6200 at 150 is short as fuck

Stoopid nugger

9th in a rented E-class.

4th

>all the cars I've ever driven had a CVT or 4 speed auto

FPBP

Warp drive. I was once in a battlecruiser and made the warp jump when we were out testing a freshly repaired one. Shit was scary af.

xD

Drive a VAG car and a Lexus RX?

4th or so my dude

you're like a little babby, watch this

TRUCC

8th, 10th if electronic shifters count

all of them

tfw i will never shift into 7th

6th. Get up to 60mph and drop it in 9th gear. Get up to 45mph and go back to 3rd. Always keep RPMs below 1500 to save gas, of course.

How are you supposed to drive that - are there two sticks?

>wants to shift gears
>boops instead

???

Eth

And that's not a fuck up, literally gear E

13th.

over 9000 xD

Top gear lol. If you are not in top gear on the highway you are using up your engine and fuel for no reason. I just started driving manual and even I know that. Keep your revs low and accelerate slowly and you can easily make it into 5th gear while saving gas and going pretty fast as long as you don't slow down again.

5th because 5 is the perfect number of gears for a car. 4/3 is ok too I guess, if it's real old. 6+ is retarded

>Keep your revs low
This is how you kill an engine

>upshift between 3 and 4k redlining at 7k
>downshift below 1.5k
>accelerate slowly

How is this bad? I just googled it and as long as the engine is above idle speeds and you don't try to accelerate quickly it should save you money without damaging your engine.

>not having a 6 speed sequential

Nice truck bro

Low revs isn't always good. I rev between 2000 and 2500 rpm and never go below 1500 in higher gears than 2nd. You are actually wasting more fuel if you try to accelerate in a high gear from a lower speed.

I think you're doing it completely right and the other dude probably thought you're permanently choking the car.

You're supposed to drive your car with optimal revs, fitting the situation at hand.

If you just keep choking your car all the fucking time with starting in second, shifting up below 2k and/or going pedal to the metal at fucking 20mph in 5th there will be massive carbon buildup inside the engine, fucking it up at some point and wearing your clutch down really quick.

If you want to be really efficient, look up your engine characteristics, internalize them and shift in the sweet spots according to the situation and when cruising at the same speed with not a lot of throttle you can go with a high gear to keep the revs low for lower consumption.

Just listening to the engine and feeling the accelerator is the best way. Your engine will sound comfortable (louder for spirited driving obviously) if it's in the best gear for your speed, and you'll have sharp throttle response.
If you're in too high a gear the engine will sound sluggish and you'll have very little throttle response because the engine has to do much more work to rev.
Too low a gear and the revs will simply be too high for what you're doing and you'll waste fuel and work your engine unnecessarily. High revs aren't bad for the engine in and of themselves though (assuming it's warm, well-oiled etc), while too high a gear can actually damage the working parts

>"I dont know what it does so i dont mess with it."

I wish my coworkers was like that.

In a literal sense my parents jags has an 8 speed auto so 8th gear

At both tracks I’ve been to, my 6 speed Z is able to hit around 90mph on both back straightaways so that’s around 4k rpm in 4th gear

funnily I have the same story. A old rally driver told me about the time he bought a 500 Kompressor or some other sporty Mercedes. Driving from habit he didn't realize there was a 6th gear, and kept wondering why it drank gas like ten cars.

I do have the wheel gap of a truck

What year?
My second gen Fit will do 90mph (~150km) in 5th gear around 4500rpm.

Is this a semi transmission? Always wondered how they worked. Doesn't look too hard.

6th in many manuals.

9th in my an auto (Evoque).

Manual fits have short as fuck gears.

The 2018 I took for a test drive was buzzing along at over 3k RPM at 65mph / 104kmh in 6th gear. I actually shifted to 5th and back up because I thought I had accidentally shifted to 4th.

yo how are you supposed to reach 5th and 7th without syncros? is that when you move into the hi gears so you jump over 12?

2nd
Tfw powerglide

Had a Challenger rental once with the 8 speed ZF box. I'll admit it was fun manually going through all those gears.

Looking forward to the 10 I'll have when I can afford a new GT500

6 cause that's all I have

Hell yeah boi

>>>/reddit/

I just leave my car in D, dunno what it picks. Think my car is a 4 speed

I've used this gear box, it's on a tractor iirc. so much fun to drive

WHat's the reasoning behind this mess?

The top right one

How do you shift without letting out a hadouken? holy shit

>dog leg transmission
>actually a dog head transmission
What did they mean by this?