>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Our pastebin (Don't bother reading this right now, it needs an overhaul)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Noob questions answered that you didn't think to ask
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Debugger guide and download
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing
Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GrumpyPocketLich
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheLittleTriton
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How much gold do you even get per gem anyway?

Distill Gold (F1, Alt. 1) is 15+
Transmute Fire (F2, Alt. 5) is 20++
Alchemical Transmutation (E1, Alt. 2) is 10+
Earth Gem Alchemy (E2, Alt. 6) is 15++

In other words, Transmute Fire might actually be the best use of fire gems for some nations (if you have cheap researchers and plenty of forts, it can be better than lightless lanterns and if you have cost-effective elite troops, it can be better than fire snakes), especially if you have high F or alchemy boosters, but for the other rituals it's not a good deal unless you absolutely need gold RIGHT NOW and can't use the gems in any useful manner.

Still seems a bit shit.

Because it is.

I think you need an F9 and something like 20 gems in order to get a decent amount of gold/gem

MA Ermor has been in 10 summod games and won 1 of them, which is reasonable since they averaged 10.6 nations.

The game it won was a mixed skill game on dom4mods.

It's also won a few blitzes, usually using an awake lich queen. It's way less strong than it was, but still viable.

Not enough to be worthwhile unless you're really desperate for gold or really can't use the gem type.

With a F9 or E9 pretender I think it's somewhere between 30 and 40 per gem. Seems high, but runs out very fast. You can get an artifact which increases the gold receieved, but that late into the game gems are even more valuable.

>if you have cheap researchers and plenty of forts, it can be better than lightless lanterns
Lightless lanterns are really amazing. Even if you have great research, a larger lead is never bad, and they allow you to field more of your mages without hurting for research.

>and if you have cost-effective elite troops, it can be better than fire snakes
Remember to consider upkeep. If you have an non-sacred troop for a year before he dies, his gold cost is 180% of the listed price. Longer periods will cost increasing amounts of gold.

A fire snake only has the upfront cost to worry about which makes them a lot more appealing, at least to me.

Not really Dominions related but how's the Illwinter Floorplan Generator? 5€ isn't much but for a floorplan generator competing with a lot of free ones, it better be a cut above the rest.

Newbie here playing as MA Man, Getting fucked over my the mermen and their many temples on my beaches.

I've got an army of shamblers that I can send to attack them, but no aquatic generals to lead them.

What can I do here?

Easiest way is to grab Construction 2 and have a W1 mage use 5 water gems to forge a ring of water breathing. Give that item to a commander and he can go underwater.

There's also some more powerful items which let commanders go underwater and bring some of their air-breathing troops along. Look for Barrel of Air and Tome of Water Breathing.

You are very unlikely to ever beat Pelagia in a UW war. Best bet is UW capable summons but thats not happening right now.

Going by your upkeep you need to attack a land neighbor fast.

I'm 99% sure he's fighting AI.

>new player with a large empire
>44 PD
>other players have hordes of chaff in every province

To be fair, all of these happen in /domg/ games too.

My thought exactly.

Ermor broke out in Magus, by the way.

Why is the major air bless so fucking shit
It should just increase a sacred unit's DRN roll

Jomon attacking Pangaea in NewGamePlus:

ded gaem

You're right.

To correct myself, I went through all the undead units in the mod-inspector. Invariably, the lifeless undead were corporeal reanimated corpses. However, the quality of the reanimated corpse varied greatly. There were lots of soulless and longdead there, yes, but also Malliquis, Liches, Behemoths, and Mummies. Looking at the list of undead that were not lifeless was no more helpful: there are corporeal undead there too that are barely different from the lifeless corporeal undead.

I played around with filters and I found something relevant: there are 3 lifeless undead with coldres >15*, 1 with a cold aura**, and 14 with a fear aura***. Invariably, lifeless undead are also described as possessed, reanimated, or having "false life", else they are necromancers that persist in the physical world by their skill in death magic.. In contrast, "living" undead are either live beings cursed by death magic, or dead souls summoned from the underworld. The only exceptions are undead that live not by magic, but by having both the willpower to refuse to leave their body, and the spiritual power to enforce their decision: dead gods.

Given what I have stated above, that one of the Tartarians is a soul that formed its whole body from "bones, stone and earth" but is not lifeless, and Returned Ones, who were never allowed to enter the underworld, are, I propose that a unit is lifeless when any of the following are true:
>1: the unit has no soul
In this case, the unit is an elemental, mechanical man, longdead or soulless: little more than materials given movement and direction by magic.
>2: the unit's soul is illegitimate
In this case, the unit is either possessed by a foreign spirit, or has not accepted or experienced death. Examples of the former: Ziz, Revenant, Behemoth. Examples of the latter: Lich, Mummy, many national undead.
>3: ??? I have no clue
Ophans.

Reminder that there's an EA game recruiting.

Is this a meme game?

No, sorry.

But its summod???

;^)

oh my god there is so much to read to get good

And even if you do it you wont be good, just not as bad.

What do I even read to git gud?

The manual and every nation guide for dom 3 + 4.

dom3 =/= dom4
You better avoid reading dom3 stuff just in case.

>unironically reading guides
lmao

Don't forget the Lemegeton and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Play vs ai to learn nations + how to expand
Play MP and search thread + forums to learn advanced shit
Theres no other way

>ironically reading guides
Wtf?

wlep, my turns in.

t. Machaka TwoElvesOneGrail

>not reading guides chromically
step it up sempai

No you don't
Watch/Read some basic let's plays to get the basic jist down
Pick a nation like Ulm or Agartha and see how you do in early expansion
Ask questions here

I'm gonna host a memegame.

good4you

ARCHAEA
DISCIPLES
KNIFE
FIGHT

Gonna make it an UWbowl. With a map generator.
Skeletons, sailing nations, and amphibians are okay too, I guess.

Preferences between MA and EA, anyone?

Make it MA. I wanna be Pelagia.

Fucking cheeseball. Sure.

6 players for maximum UW, or 9 to give the amphibians a continent to knife-fight on? There's unfortuantely no 8 player setting on this thing.

I want this too

Me too.

Mąka it ea i want to be agartha

>Mąka

t. Malakal_PL

Its me again my dude
I drunk polackposting before and im doping thos again
I feel that theres Sort of identity assosiated with that and Its better than shitting up other media
T. Avatarfag

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

sorry

Imbecile.

Oh god, that imagen is so great.
When did it get created? it's the first time i see it.

okay fags, let's settle this in a better way

which sailing faggots are better, berytos or MA vanheim

Bery

Vans is a better nation, Berry has better sailing.

Looking over it again, MA has more applicable nations, because MA Xib is also natively amphibians. Guess we're doing that.

What map ?

Mapgen

Get owned, Abysia.

Is Sy planning on releasing his videos for Degeneracy in pairs of two following a 4^n days pattern from day 0. So far he relased 2 videos day 0 and 2 videos day 4 and no more videos after that, I assume it'll take 16 days.

please explain

He relesed the first pair of videos 4^0 days after he planned to release them, the next 4^1 days after that, and I presume it'll be 4^2 after that 4^3.

I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so next video's going to be either today or in about two weeks

ok, great. I'm enjoying them so far.

Just in case Marignon decides to not use his dudes in 157 to defend Shinu, here's his army.

Only thing really noteworthy about it is that he has a 2 com slave / 1 master communion to boost up an air random Witch Hunter carrying a bunch of air and astral gems. In our last fight he cast Wind Guide, but he might have more alt now which would open up Fog Warriors with a booster and an 8 slave communion.

Hey Helheim, I'm planning on taking 116 this turn.

How would you equip a queen water elemental to fight LA Atlantis underwater?

Vine Shield, ethereal cloak, ironskin helmet, MR amulet, reinvig item or lodestone amulet

Weapon can be frostbrand, elfbane, or swap a misc slot item for copper fist and give her a moon blade

alternatively, don't gear her with anything other than boosters and use her with an army to cast Living Water and stuff

Ophans are just big angelic machines.

Isn't ethereal cloak pretty useless against Atlantis, with all their troops having magic weapons?

How does a stone bird work with quickness? will it strike 8 times instead of 4? Also how does it in general work on a thug, will the stone bird attack's go before/after the main weapon swing or is it randomly ordered?

I'm asking because it seems like its potentially interesting as an aid for a anti thug to work down defence skill while giving the anti-thug a length 6 weapon that may help repel troop attacks for survivability.

Also putting 2 stone birds on a dude with quickness for 2x(4+4+1) attacks seems like a pretty funny way to clear trash with a brand.

gg wp

WH 5.9 out now.

Includes the description fix to the Cursed Consul and a new hero for MA Vanarus

If you can force yourself into a multiplayer game after learning the very basics, it's much easier to learn the nuances of the game when you naturally encounter problems on a daily turn-by-turn basis. The most important resources you have are the inspector and the page that lists all of the boosters so you can figure out how to ratchet your way up in different magic trees.

How real humans would react:
>You killed our god!
>We give up!

Dominions:
>You killed our god!
>WE SWEAR ETERNAL VENGEANCE UPON YOU AND YOUR PROGENY

UWbowl memegame, amphibians and skeletons welcome too

Why don't you sucide your armies into Abysia for a bit now? He is in rhe lead with 3 throne points claimed, bordering 5 and is beelining for another 2.

Is that your way of saying that you want to cede Shinu to me?

What afflictions can immobile pretenders like monument, monolith or golden idol get? Would teleporting defensive immobile for Ur be innovative?

No. I can keep btfoing you there all game. Which will ne short btw with Aby throne rushing.
You can keep losing armies to me if u wanna though, since you are obviously not in it to win.

Always in it to win it senpai. And I do have eyes on the thrones.

>How does a stone bird work with quickness?
You'd have two sets of attacks, so you would indeed get 8 attacks with it.

>will the stone bird attack's go before/after the main weapon swing or is it randomly ordered?
They're not random, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly the order.

It seems to be based off which slot each weapon is equipped to. I've never seen the main weapon be before the misc slots in attack order, and you can swap the order of misc weapons by swapping their slots.

>aid for a anti thug to work down defence skill
You'd need quickness, unless you're using another misc attack.

>Also putting 2 stone birds on a dude with quickness for 2x(4+4+1) attacks seems like a pretty funny way to clear trash with a brand.
It would be, but each round of attacks can't hit more than one square of opponent. You're limited to killing 3 guys (6 with quickness) unless you use a weapon with AoE > 1.

In such game, playing a non-uw-capable nation would feel like playing a uw nation in a regular game and I want to feel that feel.

Could I join?

Get a load of this fag.

Fuck you user

Needs 3 more.

A map is generated after pretenders are sent, right? I joined as Pelagia but just wanted to double-check so as to avoid the risk of being left in a pitiful little pond (>implying any amount of UW provinces occupied by Pelagia isn't going to be irrelevant)

>A map is generated after pretenders are sent, right?
Yeah, that's right. I'll post it here and give you a few hours to check it and update your pretenders, if needed.

I'm quite new to the game and I wanted to try some MP, but I see that many of you use mods. Would any of you be willing to spare me the time of reading through the changelogs and tell me which are the general changes of the main mods used around here? Also, I'm a bit wary of mods, so pros and cons of staying vanilla?

>summod
mod that makes OP nations slightly less OP and trash nations to actually have a chance of winning

>better arena
makes the death match competition reward not shit

>worthy heroes
makes the hero mechanic actually useful

>magic enhanced
huge content mod that adds more end game stuff & national spells

>magic enhanced + summod bundle
summod makes the game less imbalanced while magic enhanced imbalances it again

>natgen
nation generator

>superhams
warhammer fantasy nations bundle

>awful nations
retarded community-made OC nation bundle

>mu's throne mods
makes thrones drastically more OP and fun

>one age
makes every nation playable regardless of age

The main three you're likely to see are ones which focus on mostly keeping vanilla content, but improving on or balancing it.

Summod focuses on making nations and spells more balanced. Has a very long list of changes.
Magic Enhanced focuses on adding cool spells to the game, especially endgame magic. Also has a very long list of changes.
Worthy Heroes makes national heroes more worthwhile, and adds new heroes to nations which don't have many.

There's a couple other big mods which sometime make an appearance.

Cataclysm, which makes every nation the same and randomizes what you can recruit in every province.
Nationgen, which gives a selection of randomly generated nations to play.

Finally, there's a massive number of nation mods, which add one or more new custom-designed factions to the game. I'm not going to even try to list them, there's probably hundreds.

>pros and cons of staying vanilla
Will depend on mod.

Worthy heroes is very well-liked, and almost universally used.

Summod and Magic Enhanced are mostly liked. Some people dislike one or both, but they still get regular games.

Cataclysm and Nationgen are probably worth avoiding until you've had some experience with standard dominions. They're a nice change from vanilla, though.

Nation mods often have highly questionable balance, so they don't get used in multiplayer much. Usually you'll only see them in a game specifically for modnations.

Its really easy to make a modnation busted. Its hard to realize how easy until you do it yourself.

Yeah, I'm not judging. Well, maybe a little. Some modnation mistakes are really obvious issues

But it's worth pointing out why they aren't often used despite being the most common mod type around.