Is it possible to retro-mod a classic muscle car to the point where it handles and rides and brakes like a modern...

Is it possible to retro-mod a classic muscle car to the point where it handles and rides and brakes like a modern near-luxury roadster and still look near-stock to the untrained eye?

Or is the inherent size / shape of the car somehow prevent this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3ufEpb_WIR0
detroitspeed.com/
fastdrags.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*restomod

Of course, anything is possible if you have enough money

Probably if you throw a similar amount of money at it but that's cash up front not financing.

no

big brakes and good tires arent gonna happen on 14s or 15s

You can get pretty close. The bigger wheels and tires are kind of a dead giveaway though. You can get sticky rubber in 14 or 15'' but fitting big brakes will be an issue. Add an adjustable high end suspension setup a couple hundred pounds of dynamat and you're good to go.

I can get good summer tires for my 15" wheels.

yeah in what some 205 width or some bullshit

fine in a light car not in a fat muscle car

yeah 205 width on my mr2

youtube.com/watch?v=3ufEpb_WIR0

Yes to a degree

You can get decent summer tires for 15's as some 15's are racing spec wheels.

14's not so much.

they make drop in front ends like pic related for around $3500 that have modern r&p steering, coilovers and disc brakes
never been in a car with one but I assume they make it feel like a new car

why bother they werent made for handling i got me a fat 68 impala with a 427, all 4 drums, fucking bicycle tires and a open diff. shit floats down the highway

>fat muscle car
Even if you don't end up replacing the pig iron components with lighter, better stuff, those cars were never all that heavy. 70s Mach 1 Mustang with the big block was something like 3500lbs. Same weight as the GT today, give or take a couple hundred lbs. Had a fucking iron intake, so obviously weight could be shaved further.

Mustangs arent muscle cars tho

and no those cars weighed more like 3600 lbs with archaic suspension and 200 some hp

so yeah fat as fuck

detroitspeed.com/

Let me guess, you think any car over 2000lbs is pigfat? You're right that the power:weight ratio was bad but anybody that doesn't throw a cheap heads-cam-intake package at their smog era engine is firmly doing it wrong. There's absolutely no reason not to be making at least 300 crank hp these days in a classic American car when good top end parts are so damn cheap.

Just buy a Bass770.

OP specified near stock appearance, and your options open up considerably with 16s

for that particular car, yes. you can literally buy every component for that car off the internet, down to the frame and all the sub assemblies. if you can think of a modern aftermarket assembly to swap into it, it probably exists like has pointed out. it will cost you close to 70k$ to do so unless you are really into the resto mod thing, its not worth it.

Horsepower is irrelevant if you're doing a restomod, you're probably replacing the engine anyways. So yes, the relatively light chassis of a safety-less Era will be perfectly fine on 205s with castor-tier rims. Could it be better with better sizes? Duh. But it won't be terrible without em.

3600lbs is fat for a "sports" car with no safety luxury or anything else

yeah I guess if you go 16s you are more than fine

lol no it wont be fine on 205s

it will be more than terrible and no its not light

AVON CR6ZZ.

You can get good enough brakes in a 15 wheel if the car isn't too heavy

You could stick the bodyshell and V8 onto a modern chassis about the same size.

Although you'd lose the stock wheels, because you need lower profile tires for performance.

ADvan Neova

The profile of the tire has nothing to do with whether or not it's a "performance" tire.

People who do this should be shot
But personal opinion aside look up FAST racing series for what you are looking for.
fastdrags.com/

t. Fucktard.

Do you know how the profile of a tire affects it's behaviour in a corner?
I'm guessing you're american and thus don't understand about corners.

Presumably you're talking about the common misconception that is the sidewall deflection boogeyman? No, this is even beneficial since it allows the tire to conform to the road, every racer anywhere takes advantage of this and manipulates ease of deflection through tire pressure. If you wanna point out images of old muscle cars taking a turn and the tire basically being pitched over onto the sidewall, that is an inherent suspension geometry failure where there's not enough built in camber gain to keep the tire's contact patch normal to the road.

Riddle me this though- If low profile rubber band tires are the bee's knees, why do the runningest mother fuckers from F1 to Indy Car to NHRA you name it, not run them?

>why do the runningest mother fuckers from F1 to Indy Car to NHRA you name it, not run them?

rules
rules
drag slicks need the sidewall for wrinkle which is fine since they only go straight

>If low profile rubber band tires are the bee's knees
They aren't. They're 'bling' for the sake of selling more wheels. You need SOME play in the tire to absorb bumps, just not entire feet.

>why do the runningest mother fuckers from F1 to Indy Car to NHRA you name it, not run them?

> Indycar/F1
Regulations force it.
> Drag ''''''racing''''''''''''""""
No corners, thick tires can grip the ground for best launches when kept at low pressures.
> You name it
Rally, touring cars? They use tracks, they corner, and oh wait they don't use tall tires.
Bikes don't have high-profile tires, and they corner way over on the side of the tires.
GT racing? Medium-height tires.

Again, americans don't know what performance is, and think 'racing' is straight lines or turning left for hours.