/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #786 - Dyamic Duo Edition.

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2017/06/08/hands-on-with-the-hedgehogs-return-to-2d-in-sonic-mania/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvNp0Boas721Xb1rZMrxR_NHEKRpO5VNf
youtube.com/watch?v=4TX2I3iUORQ
tssznews.com/2017/06/08/archie-talks-with-sega-part-of-an-ongoing-process/
eccothedolphin.wikia.com/wiki/The_Asterite
info.sonicretro.org/What_I'm_Made_Of
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sonic Mania looks good.

You should include this article that leaked the Green Hill boss venturebeat.com/2017/06/08/hands-on-with-the-hedgehogs-return-to-2d-in-sonic-mania/

Sonic & Garfield & Knuckles

Yay, it isn't garbage!

I think Sonic Forces is going to be pretty good

First for hyped for both Mania and Forces.

I can't help but think of this when I think of all the OCs that will be made when Forces releases.

> mfw listening to the Black Knight soundtrack.
Holy shit this is really good.
I'm actually thinking of playing the game.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvNp0Boas721Xb1rZMrxR_NHEKRpO5VNf

Sonic Mania - Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 Gameplay: youtube.com/watch?v=4TX2I3iUORQ

So now that we know a majority of Mania will be remixed classic stages, how many of /sthg/ have lost interest? Will you get it eventually, or completely ignore it?

If it sells well and is deemed a success, do you think there will be another Taxman/Headcannon Sonic game? If so, what would you like to see?

CD is subpar because its design conflicts with itself, and the whole time travel mechanic is done in an incredibly annoying fashion. You have to go fast to travel through time, but you have to explore to find the badnik spawners if you want the good ending. Except you don't have to explore because you can just get all the time stones like you get the chaos emeralds in Sonic 1. But the level design still emphasizes exploration over running straight through, which hampers building speed for time traveling, so they put in specific sections intentionally made for building speed to time travel with, which feels more like a band-aid solution than anything. And there's no reason to ever go to an Act's future. There's no reason to stay in the present, either. Everything important is in the past.

If you want to time travel, you have to hit the right gate and then build up speed for long enough. If you lose speed a few seconds before warping, say goodbye to time traveling, and don't expect that signpost to work again, either. Don't want to time travel but accidentally hit a signpost? Too bad, now you're at constant risk of time traveling if you go fast, with no way to remove the risk except going fast and slowing down just at the right time. We put in speed zones that propel you forward with lots of springs and boosters, though, so watch out!

Most of the game ends up feeling like a pointless mess, while the rest of it feels like its constantly working against what you want to do. It's a pain whether you want to time travel or avoid time travel.

>I'm actually thinking of playing the game.
Don't bother.

I like Princess Elise.

>So now that we know a majority of Mania will be remixed classic stages
We've known this for a long time.

I was sold with the Studiopolis footage last year and preordered it immediately. Nothing is going to make me change my mind.
>If it sells well and is deemed a success, do you think there will be another Taxman/Headcannon Sonic game?
God I hope so.

I think Sonic Forces is going to be not well received.

Don't listen to , it's an alright game. Nowhere near as bad as Secret Rings, because its actually playable.

>So now that we know a majority of Mania will be remixed classic stages
We've known that for a while already. The 'remix' concept at least alleviates some of the annoyance. I never liked Chemical Plant but the stuff they're doing with the bouncy/sticky gel in that trailer looks dope, so I'm okay with it.

I hope there's a sequel with all original stages and no more Iizuka meddling but we can't have nice things so we'll have to wait and see.

Is it weird that I don't like Sonadow, but I do like pics of Amy or otherwise going fujoshit over Sonadow?

I think Sonic Forces is going to harshly compared to Mania, especially the Classic Sonic sections.

I think you're right but also that 1/3 of the game will be near perfect which will result in a > 33.333333% score

Yes it's "playable" but that doesn't mean it's good.

It's fun, though.

Nigga I ain't readin' that shit.
CD is fun as fuck, stay salty.

Yes, but I'm not too sure if that pic is real or not, for its caption doesn't match the content of the picture.

Let's talk about Team Dark.

They need their own game.

it can be fun, especially when you know what you're doing. It's hard to go back to after the Boost games though but for it's time it was decent, maybe even good

>rouge the bat
>age 17

Princess Elise is beautiful and precious!

It is pretty funny, desu.

I would like nothing more. There's so much potential.

They all danced in fire, trapped in that machine.

What are you talking about? Shadow the Hedgehog was a critical failure. I guess the video game consumer market won't accept a game involving Shadow or Team Dark.

I thought I said fuck off with the gay shit in the OP

Too bad her ingame model is oranger than Trump or i would of made one of those SFMs for her., It'd be nice to see her non sonic lusted self in the canon just to see if her nation still exists

Don't know how long they waited, as the Eggman watched

this is now an elise thread

>Every comment on the new Bubsy trailer is about Sonic memes
Why are the two related again

FORCES WILL BE PLAYABLE AT E3
ALL THREE CHARACTERS

Elise a shit

I assure you, user, that Sonic and Garfield are entirely wholesome and not gay. Garfield even has a girlfriend. Two girlfriends, if you count the 80s cartoon.

Animals.

Everyone memed Bubsy as the new Forces character as hard as they could, but we got an OC maker instead. So now that Bubsy is getting a big comeback, this happened.

Elise did nothing wrong.
I love her so much.

Balloon head chicken legs

Chaos Control
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos Control
Chaos Control
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos
Chaos Control

those lyrics are so good

>Shadow the Hedgehog.
>Time of Creation unknown.

What is 50 YEARS AGO?

Go cry about politics somewhere else.

>Colony Arc

He didn't mention politics, calm down.

Am I the only one of the opinion that Heroes had some of the best character themes? Team Rose's theme was a better Amy theme than My Sweet Passion, Team Chaotix was great, I loved This Machine & What I'm Made Of.

It's called pantyhose, you cuck.

just add 4-5 years to whatever they say it is and you have something closer to the truth

They're not strong enough for their own game.

I'd much prefer another Adventure scenario with Team Sonic, Team Dark and Team Rose all having their own separate playthroughs and story arcs, which are loosely connected at different points. Kinda like Birth By Sleep.

Elise is an underrated character

shadow by himself was strong enough for a game

>film noir team dark secret agent story never

Follow Me is great. It's just so upbeat and pleasant
Team Chaotix is good but I cringe when I hear the lyrics. It's a good cringe though
I was never a fan of This Machine for some reason.
We Can is just... well I like Tony Harnell and Ted Poley
What I'm Made Of is god tier

on the whole I'd say Heroes' vocal tracks were pretty good

Wouldn't Team Chaotix fit that bill more? They even had Vector attempt it in their arc before they got shitcanned.

E-123.
You didn't know, now I'm going to show you.
The power that is me.
You try to take me down, stop the show.
Seems you never tasted fear, a loss of control.
The power lives in me, the power that is ME!

We Can is god awful. Usually with Sonic songs there's a cringe curve, and usually it's a fun cringe, like without the context of Sonic it wouldn't be good but it's a guilty pleasure otherwise.

We Can just sucks and I think it might actually be the worst theme in the entire franchise. Even Almost Dead is better.

>Sonic is 19-20
>Charmy is 10-11

both shadow and rouge work or worked for GUN undercover

Follow me is such a guilty pleasure of mine, it has absolutely nothing with Big or Cream but holy shit does it get the point across on what Amy feels for Sonic, too bad the game's writing of her makes that her sole character trait instead of part of her. She was totally bluffing wally back there wasn't she? She really couldn't hit him while he was looking like Sonic

Covfefe

We Can is my guilty pleasure song and I only like it because of Harnell. Whenever I meet someone who's into Sonic, I'm never ashamed to admit which songs I like except for We Can. It's literally the only one I never mention. It's just so... bad. But I like it and I don't know why. It's embarrassing

>They're not strong enough for their own game.
Like hell they're not.

>wally
Huh?

Taxman is a traitor. We thought he was our savior, but he's just another blind nostalgiafag.

>Chaotix theme.
>Cringe.

The fuck are you talking about? The lyrics were hype.

A CHALLENGE HAS BEEN ISSUED BY THE EGGMAN
THIS MISSION'S GONNA NEED THEM ALL
AND THOUGH HIS HOPES GROW THIN
AND THE OUTLOOK IS GRIM
THESE THREE GOING TO HEED HIS CALL
YEAH, CHARMY'S THING IS DISHING OUT FIRST STING
AND THE GREEN ONE CHEERS THEM ON
ESPIO IS CLEARLY READY TO GO
RUN DOWN WHO'D DO YOU WRONG

I don't think "We Can" is that terrible, but it isn't particularly memorable either. It's the most generic of the team themes though.

"Team Chaotix" is the one only one that's really about the whole team, since it's also most obviously sung by an outside perspective. "We Can" is mostly Sonic, with mention of Tails and Knuckles briefly. "Follow Me" is just Amy's perspective, and "This Machine" is from Shadow's perspective with Rouge and Omega getting mentioned in a verse each.

What I'm Made Of > This Machine > Team Chaotix > Follow Me > Sonic Heroes > We Can

"THE SECRET IS SHARING OUR DREAMS!"

Tell me that wasn't the gayest thing you've ever heard in a Sonic theme. I don't know what was the mindset with "We Can".

Cringe

Cringe is just another word for "I don't like" nowadays.

PREVIOUSLY
ON SONIC THE COMIC

T...the Asterite?!

Walter Naugus from the Archie comics. Basically, after trying to kill Team Dark, Knuckles & Amy backfired, this happened.

Jun wrote the main theme, SEGA told him it didn't quite hit the "SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK" button hard enough, so he went all out on Team Sonic's theme.

I want a new main series game with these four playable.

"What I'm Made Of" was also supposed to be the main theme of the game, not "Sonic Heroes".

>T...the Astride?!
Is that a weird British thing?

tssznews.com/2017/06/08/archie-talks-with-sega-part-of-an-ongoing-process/

How long do you think they can keep this bullshit up?

>Not knowing the Asterite

Go see the Big Blue and brush up, faggot.

source?

For awhile.

If that's true, then that's probably exactly what happened, except the sequence was.

>write main theme that describes final boss fight, like Open Your Heart and Live & Learn
>Sonic Team tells him to write one more in line with game's overall tone
>writes Sonic Heroes, a tad more generic but not overly cheesy
>SEGA tells him it's still not enough
>fuck it

The Chemical Plant video is okay. I actually look more like a Sonic CD level (through the non linear level design, the pipes, the music sounds like Wacky Workbench JP) than that awful Sonic 2 level.

Still hyping for this AND Forces.

Longest """"talks"""" ever. It's like the fate of the world is at stake. Or it's like nothing of value is at stake

They be stalling hardcore.

Personally I'm sick of Knuckles. He's the guardian of the fucking ME. He didn't need to be involved at all past SA1. Even SA2 is pushing it.

>more Brit Sonic
Sweet!

They bumped it up to 18 for an unexplained reason.

I do wonder why.

Once again, I really appreciated how Fleetway tried to integrate the game mechanics into its plots. Kind of. Well we're on 88 mph rules so I guess people can figure out how this is going to go.
Dude... Mega Drive represent .. eccothedolphin.wikia.com/wiki/The_Asterite

>Or it's like nothing of value is at stake

Archie's executives are so old the talks are probably being conducted by a sequence of carrier pigeons flying across the Pacific.

Why is it a big deal for Shadow to use firearms but no one cares when any robot has them or otherwise fires bullets?

info.sonicretro.org/What_I'm_Made_Of
>The track was originally composed by Jun Senoue as the main theme of the game, but was rejected as the development team wanted a song that was more upbeat, which lead to the creation of the final main theme of the game Sonic Heroes (song).

I always wondered what it was like being in the minority. Glad I'm not there yet.

Robots can get away with it. But with the abilities Shadow already had, it's redundant for him to wield weapons.

it isn't. shadow's unique playstyle as a character is guns and vehicles

While I generally agree that Knux shouldn't be involved in plots for no reason, I've come to accept that, given how he's been fully integrated into Sonic's friends and how Eggman seems to have given up on trying to use the Master Emerald for his latest Master Plan in any given game, Knuckles helping save the world isn't that big of a deal.

My main problem is just that they just keep using him as dumb background comic relief.