Any tips on removing these hose clamps? Ive tried pinching pulling and prying, cant get them off...

Any tips on removing these hose clamps? Ive tried pinching pulling and prying, cant get them off. Do i need a special tool?

Filler and vent line on the gas tank of a 96 Ford Explorer v8

Water pump pliers and turn it?

turn the hose or the green plastic clip? ive tried turning the clip, it moves but the hose wont give. i can turn the hose as well but it still wont pull off.

Are you familiar with this type? is turning the clip supposed to release the hose?

What in the hell is that? That almost looks crimped on and not meant to be removed without being destroyed in the process, which I wouldn't put past 90s USDM.

Just giving out suggestions

Does the green plastic clip move at all?

They wouldn't put a release clip on something like a gas tank. You almost never need to attack the gas tank, and nobody expects a gas tank to be a DIY job.

Screwdriver and pry it from the back.

i soaked them both in PB, i got the big one to break free, it rotates a little now, the hose rotates as well. but i cant for the life of me figure out what needs to be done to get it off. i cant even find a picture on the intertubes of a similar setup.

and thanks for the tips.

Ive done my own work before. the tank was leakeking so i had the shop check and see if it was the pump or the tank. I was worried if i dropped the bash plate the whole thing would crack open. it was the tank, its rusting out. they wanted $750 to replace the tank, figured i could do it myself.

i may of bitten off more than i can chew. but ive already ordered parts and ive got the bash plate off.

what pissed me off is all the other pics i see of the same make and year just have normal ass hose clamps. guess i lucked out or something.

Try pushing the green clip down while pulling on the metal part

I once ran the numbers of swapping a rusty tank vs. trying to clean it vs. just swapping the fuel filter every few months. Actually wound up discovering a product that did actually seal it from leaking from the outside, which, probably for the best, was shortly before the thing just couldn't hold together in any direction well enough to pass inspection.

So if I were you I would think of it in terms of getting a whole new hose, not wasting time, and just taking it off with an angle grinder. That mindset seems to work well with bastard old cars.

And try pulling the green clip up while also pulling on the metal if that dont work

Well i'm already replacing the tank, may need to get a new hose as well. The rust is bad, shes a Michigan winter machine. new tank was $115 ish bucks, so even if i have to get some new parts im still saving some money.

Ill give these a try

I guess these are called "Quick Connect" and not "Quick Disconnect" for a reason.

Thanks for the assistance my dudes.

I wish you luck

Looks like you've fucked the clip up and it's now inoperable. You're supposed to push the two tabs in together and pull.

Probably best bet is new hoses

"In" as in pinch together or push towards the tank?

google "fuel line removal tool"

you're welcome.

pinch together and then pull the entire assembly, hose and all, away from the barb.

That's weird. I just did a tank on my 96 Taurus lat weekend and it was screw clamps for those connections. There was one evap connection where I had to squeeze both ends to get it over a ring on the nipple, but nothing like that.

It almost looks like a clutch connection. Get a screwdriver between the tank and plastic piece and try to jam the clip up into the fitting to release it like says.

The plastic tabs are designed to press in towards eachother while you pull the hose off. i ended up breaking mine off and just using a normal hose clamp instead of this bs

your supposed to pinch the plastic clip together and remove the round metal base from the port while the plastic retainer stays on the barb.

Ive been trying to remove it while the tank is still mounted. Nit a lot of room to work. I'm going to remove the filler line/neck from the body, drop the tank and then try and get it off. If it still wont come off ill replace it.

Is this thread serious? I'm usually the nice guy here, but c'mon. "Car enthusiasts"....

OP, you need a fuel line removal tool. This is very common with Ford. Pic related is the tool. You can find it at any auto parts store. Get the multi-size one.

Thank your sir, ill see if a local shop has one. Even if it does not work its probably good to have for future projects.

>pic unrelated

see

Tool obtained