Wangan Midnight

Wangan Midnight wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

It's biggest and most immediate problems is that it focused way less on the tuning scene, had bad/forgettable music, and almost never featured any cheap/easily obtainable cars. The series oddly doesn't portray Wangan racing in a good light. It also doesn't do a good job of making you excited to see the next race.
The characters were mostly adult men and women, with the exception being the main character, so it's often hard to relate to them. Most of the characters, including Akio, are very solemn and depressing. Akio himself is not very likable, and they all have major personal issues that stem from racing or from how racing negatively affects their personal lives.
It weirdly never makes an effort to tell you how much time passes either; often the viewer learns how much time has passed through offhand remarks. The scenes take place within months of each other, since Akio feels the need to basically rebuild the Z after every race. It makes it clear that racing and repairing these cars took a lot of time, effort, and money, something that Akio could only do at his young age by being a workaholic loner. So it portrays street racing a little too realistically to be all that fun to the viewer.

All of this and maybe a little bit more is probably why it was never as popular as Initial D.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bL4KDjy_E
youtube.com/watch?v=HzgwIVg56hM
youtu.be/a5CAoii28aM
youtube.com/watch?v=sM51PYTkCi8&index=22&list=FLISwBCWrSB0eE5h3CrVcy7g
youtu.be/HzgwIVg56hM
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHMU--_sO7ftB6R_FUrpAKS21BPbMIscs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good thread

BUY ACCORD COUPES WHILE YOU CAN Veeky Forums

hail satin

wut

>it focused way less on the tuning scene
Did you even watch the entire series?

>almost never featured any cheap/easily obtainable cars

How many cheap cars do you know can be tuned to reach 180-215 mph?

Real life tuning culture of the time wasn't discussed as much as it could've been. It tended to focus on more personal things related to the cars

>they all have major personal issues that stem from racing or from how racing negatively affects their personal lives.
>something that Akio could only do at his young age by being a workaholic loner. So it portrays street racing a little too realistically to be all that fun to the viewer.

See that was what I liked about it. It showed us a side of racing/being this much into cars that isn't all happy and full of excitment

i seriously thought i had missed a few episodes after the main devil z crash
worst transition ever

>Not watching the greatest racing anime ever made

Dude, stfu.
We all know it's awesome.

>$8,000
My credit isn't good enough to finance.
I fuckin wanted it even though it was an automatic.

>Portrays street racing too realistically
>So it's not fun
>Dark
>Somehow a bad anime because muh "tuning culture"

Go watch Fast and the Furious or something kid. Anime about driving around at night to deal with personal issues because the harsh reality of life is that life is a harsh reality might be too deep for you.

(This is a loose murican version of initial-D/Wangan Midnight so keep that in mind for the kinds of characters and cars they'd drive)

Its set in a small town in Colorado, centered around a young guy who just graduated HS and ends up looking for a graduation car with some money he and his parents saved up together and since he doesnt have alot of money (like 3k or so) he goes to his local scrapyard and finds a slightly beat up old Foxbody GT in decent enough condition and buys it, and he eventually gets a job delivering pizzas around town to save up money and work on his "new" car, while he thinks about what he wants to do with his life, all the while racing and working on his car and saving money, and meeting new racers with there own stories and motivations

There'd be local small town drag racing/national park touge racing/ hoodlum hooning/ and the yearly small town rally race

Lots of 80s/90s muscle cars and sporty shitboxes like preludes/celicas/integras/civics/foxbodies/3g camaros/fieros/trans-ams/ fox-thunderbirds/ celica supras/ crx/ miatas/ etc, etc

why

also, how do I get started in crypto?

Not OP, but I started to get that when it showed why Reina likes to drive (ep 4) - she doesn't enjoy modeling all the time, so she unwinds by driving her GT-R.

Isn't this the Initial B fanfic you're working on?

>also, how do I get started in crypto?
invent a time machine

Ya it's loosely an initial-B mangu
Been thinking about making a racing mangu like this before I found out about inital-B

Agreed OP. I only watched it to see the Supra. Stopped immediately after because, like you said, there was no hype at all for the next race. Honestly, I don't even know what the fuck the point of the storyline even was.

OK, what if instead of focusing on the Devil Z, the focus was on some high school kids with an EF hatch?
They race their pals, and look up to the rich doctors who get all the women and have high-power imported Porsches and stuff, but the real guy they go out to the Wangan to see is the Devil Z, who occasionally blows by at 220mph, with Chad-chan in his Porsche barely trailing.

Why would there be? Street races are incidental just like irl; Tatsuya traveled to Osaka to get a new exhaust to help him race the Devil Z - he wasn't expecting to meet a guy who happens to drive an Evo. Eiji had his own life and his own rivals, who had just tuned an R34 to race against him and his step-brother; some guy in a 911 shows up to have his friend modify his car, so while he's there, Eiji decides to have him race the R34 in his brother's Evo to see how skilled he was. He soon learns about an extremely fast car in Tokyo built by an associate of his friend and decides to check it out.

We already know the outcome of that.

Can we talk about Devil Z itself? I think it's a much better hero car for the series than the tofumobile.
Trueno doesn't have much power but has good balance and likely some Bunta shenanigans in the suspension, so it should be relatively easy to drive, making going faster the only thing for Tak to care about.
Devil Z, however, is exactly what it says on the tin. It's an ancient stroker engine with a snail that takes centuries to spool, stuffed into a floppy chassis and with a pathetic stock rubber spoiler being its only aero. If it can reach 300 km/h, it's certainly nigh undriveable at that speed, no wonder previous owners died like flies, and Akio's struggles of keeping it under control are a part of his challenge.
Tak doesn't get excited driving his car alone because it's just a tool fir him to deliver "tofu" and wreck scrubs. Akio drives his car because it is exciting on itself, racing is secondary to that, and he commutes on a train to not dilute his excitement by dailying his undrivable mess, so it's almost like a character on itself whereas trueno is just an iconic car.

I really quite thoroughly enjoyed Wangan Midnight, even more than Initial-D
Because Wangan never had the problem that Initial-D had which is DBZism in the sense that after watching Dagumi race over and over and over again you KNEW that he was never gonna lose and he's magically find someway to win no matter how ridiculous the odds were, ie: the fucking meme leaves, literslly teleporting a car, etc etc

So it got to a point where it became DBZ and the protagonist was so INCREDIBLY OP that no one could ever beat him and his "power lvl" got so damn high that the ppl that he struggled with in the 1st stage were now so far behind dagumi that they may as well have been fucking Krillin & Yamcha tier

In Wangan Midnight, it felt exciting because you honestly didn't know who the hell was gonna win, because Akio lost or crashed his fucking car a bunch of times and that was just in the beginning 5 episodes, and he even still loses some more down the road,
and I liked the fact that they spent a bit more time on talking about or showing what it's like to work on and tune your car which Initial-D never did much,

and they put soo much detail and story into side characters that if they ever wanted to, they could just as easily make a side character a main character because of how much they put into them or left open for them ie: the Evo & Supra arc with those characters that came out of literally no where and weren't really the main characters but after a while they sortve felt like they were

And it's because of this that made Wangan Midnight feel more like a real street racers animu than Initial-D ever could.

Although I would love to see something like with more focus on non super engine cars, with ppl that have budgets and lives

Which is sortve why I'm making my murican version that a set in Colorado

is this some kind of shitpost copypasta?

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bL4KDjy_E

watch some of these, like wangun but live action.

>not just watching the live action wangan midnight
youtube.com/watch?v=HzgwIVg56hM

The AE86 is not a car that handles well. The only thing it has going for it is being very light.

>had bad/forgettable music
Music was the best thing about whole show.
I very liked everything that was 3D and all way opposite with 2D.
Well, I have some love to cgi with cars, it's something I could watch forever.
But how I said, I hate everything that happens when 2D animation is shown, so everything besides races like characters, story, it's all so bad and boring.
After few episodes I just skipped every scene with characters and after few more I just stopped watching.

you inspired me to create my own strain of initial d derivative

basically, a couple of decades into the future somewhere in the balkans a cunt has inherited an 80s biodiesel powered shitbox converted to an offroad runner, he does smuggling runs with it and gets into all sorts of slavic shenanigans, with the ocassional rally drifting through a minefield.

i'm actually sort of curious how much an /a/ drawfag would ask for to make this real

This sounds like Slavic James bond than initial-D/Wangan

The main issue is that cgi straight line racing just isn't very exciting. The cars look like they move too slowly, and there's none of the vibration and intensity that comes from speed in real life. I liked the music though.

i liked it.
i mean yes, the story was fairly bland, but i don't give a fuck.
i was watching it mostly to see if reina and kuroki would get their ass kicked

This

Where can I watch wangan midnight?
anyone have a magnet link?

Wasn't it based on the actual rivalry between some dude in a Z and some doctor's with a Porsche?

I've been inspired to come up with an Initial D styled story that plays out a bit more like Wangan and features character interactions like First Stage, where the side characters would be just as important. The location would be some vague western land that has Twingoes alongside meme Miatas, Chrysler's K-GODMACHINEs, the-fastest-car-in-the-only-important-day-to-day-metric Model S, and even the A-Meme 86 itself alongside some exotic cars like the Countach. Random assortment of cars, especially in terms of performance and capabilities. The cars would just be props and further extensions of the characters, the real focus would be on the characters and how the MC really wanted to start a toe-gay team with a grill with the Twingo and some Mexican narco with a P71.

Leave Reina alone!

Please, I've been imagining my own racing film for years.

It'll be a mix of Initial D and Wangan Midnight with the final race being between a modified R32 and a stock Aventador LP-750 - in fact, the protagonist is the one driving the R32, who happenes to be racing the very same Lambo, on an expressway in a major city, in the beginning of the movie, during the opening credits; he miraculously survives a crash at 200 mph but ends up being hospitalized for months and has amnesia. Once healed from his physical injuries, he starts to go out and discover who he is again by going to a racing scene in the mountains and meets the top racer in the area, who drives Hondas or any other car people don't believe are capable in defeating more powerful cars, just to prove that it's the driver's skill that matters in a race and not the car itself. They have a couple of races and the protagonist is proven to be a formidable driver; the protagonist later discovers his wrecked GT-R being stored in a garage near his house and realizes, with a lot of work, it can still be repaired. He then takes his restored, yet detuned, Skyline back the the mountains to race the top ace once more; he goes to his house, but sees he's not home, so the protagonist decides to check out his cars in the garage. There is one car covered with a tarp and once uncovered, the protagonist realizes, with his memory now restored, the top ace racer is the Lambo driver who raced him and there's a mark on the side of Lambo's front bumper the same color as his R32.

The rest is left to your imagination.

youtu.be/a5CAoii28aM

why would there be? uhhh to keep us interested in watching???? they're right, it seriously is boring and it just repeats itself over and over while driving home the idea that racing leads to a shitty life

It's just inspired off the Mid Night club IIRC. Club members that raced down the Wangan doing 150+ mph. 911's were popular in the gang as well as GT-R's, Supra's, RX-7's, etc. they had various cars, including a heavily modified 280z which the Devil Z is based off of.

There was one Initial D race where the animation really did a terrific job of portraying speed. And it was basically a straight line race on a freeway with slight bends.

youtube.com/watch?v=sM51PYTkCi8&index=22&list=FLISwBCWrSB0eE5h3CrVcy7g

>not a single real car
>not even a single real engine

I don't remember this episode

You're exaggerating. The DevilZ has a full roll cage, racing suspension, twin turbos, everything you could hope for. This is what sets it apart from the rest of the junkyard, in the first episode.

Boy, this sure sounds like me with my shitbox. Except it doesn't run, and I am sad boi.

>>not a single real car

Did you even watch the movie?

youtu.be/HzgwIVg56hM
It's better than the anime imo

Nigga the one real car BTFOs an entire field of WipeOut hovercraft fucking shits.

The whole fucking plot is about the nostalgic pilot outplaying much better equipped rivals on his V8 comfybarge

Akio with a wig.

I don't see it.

I still don't see it through your shitty edit.

>including his nose
How fucking shitty are you?

>an anime wasn't good

what a fucking surprise

I wish OverRev got an anime adaptation.
With the lood parts removed of course.

Fuck you, leave the sex in there!

>this faggy piano music
Initial D really did get fucking awful as it went on.

Looks like a western show.

>no cheap cars
>hard to relate to the characters
I've never read/watched but wasn't the IRL equivalent a bunch of rich douchebags with supercars abusing the highway system because the underpowered police cars couldn't catch them?

It was made by a westaboo

It's not a F&F meme though, Midnight Club was a thing that actually existed in the 90s.

Unironically yes. Though a fair number of them weren't richfags but actual tuning shop "teams" operated by wagecuck Veeky Forumstists who raced their shop's demo cars.

Yes I watched it. What car model is this ? Nothing.

What real car ? Looks like a bland mishmash of various muscle eras. And what internal combustion engine uses tiny pills of energy ?
>V8 comfybarge
Either you're blind or you drive a V8 roadbarge yourself. Because it looks nothing like what we commonly call a landbarge.

It's a fucking 1st gen Pontiac Trans Am you jackass.

By real car I meant "wheels and an internal combustion engine"

He says it himself, literally in his fist line of dialog: a Trans Am

Could also be a Camaro Trans Am

He later expands by mentioning how he's crashed it so many times it's completely different underneath

The car he uses in the redline supposedly has a v10 up front whose exhaust is being fed into the rear mounted turbine

How the fuck is this supposed to be a TransAm ? It looks nothing like it, and the crash story was just an excuse. Anyway, it was a great film nonetheless.

It's the same car, but with really fucking beautiful fender flares

How the fuck is this supposed to be a Nissan Skyline?

Here's a link to all the episodes on Youtube:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHMU--_sO7ftB6R_FUrpAKS21BPbMIscs

>He fell for the "It's a pontiac" meme

The body is so different it could have been introduced as anything that has been modified to hell.
This clearly looks like a Skyline with racing bodykit. Meanwhile put a real 1gen TransAm next to the TransAm 2000. They don't really look alike, so much that when watching it I first thought it was called the TransAm 2000 as in 2000th gen of Pontiac TransAm, released by future GM.

>looks like a Skyline with racing bodykit
>wheel wells that go as high as the shoulder and the bottom of the window
I'd like to see a body kit that can make those proportions possible

If you actually pay attention to the cars, you can tell the Trans Am 20000 has similar features as the original Trans Am.

I looked up the Trans Am when I first saw the movie and I can see the similarities in both cars, the biggest one are the haunches running from the front of the car to the windshield that are on top of the headlights.

the cop was an asshole

also
>dat M O N T A G E

No shit. He's a corrupt cop villain in a fictional move

ur n asshoel

OverRev would've been great
So far it's quite possibly the greatest stret racin mangu ever made
It portrays the life of a stret racer pretty well as well as a neet trying to get her life together

>I love it, wish it has an anime

post best racing mango

When I 1st saw this page I got instantly kuwaii cozy :3
Made me want to curl up in a ball and sip hot cocoa inside Mr.2 ;3

Is that a CB3 Accord in the background?

Probably not, just rando scrap sedan

Yeah, it doesn't have the same color/number of pillars.

>The characters were mostly adult men and women, with the exception being the main character, so it's often hard to relate to them.
It's hard to write racing related stories involving 8th graders.

Is that nigger wearing lipstick