twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

game development

reminder

youtube.com/watch?v=C-T4VVZrmkA

how many downloads do your games even get googumems
legit curious, not part of whatever convo you were just having
share some numbers?

>gamedevs vs enginedevs

Fifth for not having any progress to post because you've been debugging forever/adding little quirks and the only tangible development is through a noose.

>tfw the thought of working on your game is starting to sound revolting
>can't even imagine anyone would want to play it
>maybe someone will see it on twitch and get a laugh out of it

which game/platform do you want?

the better ones.

Basically, fuck C#'s 3rd part renderers. I'll make my goddamned terminal out of M$'s shitparts because at least those are documented.

why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

how about the old columbine flash thing if you have stats for that, versus your newer stuff
RRPS and social interaction thing come to mind, I don't recall much about your one hand game stuff but if that's still going it would be neat to hear comparisons for those things too

>inb4 it's an eternal recursion
>inb4 you rewrite the OS

Firstly, because literally all I need is a proper text-like interface that supports arbitrary colors and characters. Secondly because it's a fun challenge. Thirdly because even though this thing is made of whatever godawful crap M$ threw together it's still less heavy than XNA.

Outline or No Outline

Fuck dude, I'd better go get my metastability disruptor, the only way this ends is just making a whole new reality.

those are reasonable reasons

Since I stole DF's tilesets I also inadvertently added support for tilesets too. Pretty neato IMO. I still have to actually implement something besides just "Place a given character" but it's late as fuck here and I don't work weekends so I'll do it tomorrow.

how many objects can Game Maker handle

Depends on the complexity of said objects. GM:S isn't the most performant thing in the world.

>Black haired, tanned beauty.
>Noisy and useless, pale, morally controversial , bony little girl.

Gamedev-onee chan

example

A best.

Can I learn to dev 3d before first learning to dev 2d or would that be like trying to learn to run before you can walk?

roughly? they would be immobile (although it would be cool if they moved around, but that would be much more complicated), no collisions (all mouse based), though ideally animated

We're still working on the desert area.

I can only hope people go DEEPEST LORE over sandbox rakes, although probably won't happen

depends on how much of a retard you are

If they're literally just sprites, don't implement them as objects. Just use a bunch of draw calls from one object to draw them all. If we were going to use objects for all of them, it depends on your PC. I'd say 10000 objects would cause problems for just about anyone.

It was placed there by the elder gods after their internal battle which was won by the heat god which is why this is a desert he wanted to use a sword but it broke so he wanted to use a spear but it broke so he used a rake and the ice god was impaled on the 3km pointy rake thingies and legend has it the frost god is still impaled deep under the sand (this is also why the rake is blue, it's cold despite being in the desert)

Reposting because nothing last thread again.

clyp.it/user/1e5ud4zl

you know the deal, still looking for a project to spend 2 days a week on.

they need different values for each though

But I already bought a midi keyboard

Ok guys..

I'm finally ready to start my project after doing some prep work.

Now...

The eternal question...

Godot... or GMS2....

Either way, 10k is the cap I'd use, depending on target platform it may be a lot less. What are you actually trying to do and on what?

>Desert Area is just a big sandbox
Well, then.

are cigarettes and coffee good gamedev fuel?

>you know the deal, still looking for a project to spend 2 days a week on.
?
I don't know the deal, are you looking for work? details?

HoMM, PC

Literally don't worry about it, that's maybe ~1000 objects in a room if you're literally stress testing the game. Assuming you aren't retarded about it and only instantiate the actual actors when they're needed (store their relevant info when they're not in some kind of holder) you probably won't have any issues at all.

I'm one step ahead of you, with infinite terrain gen/chunk loading and tile manipulation. Working on terraforming atm but I'm lazy as fuck and suffering implementation dilemma; I know exactly what needs to be done, thus can't be assed doing it.

Is there a market for topdown space games?

one is free and good
the other is paid and bad

>I don't work weekends

well la did da

composer here, i do mostly orchestral music if anyone is looking. i'm looking for some side projects to keep me busy. if you have no budget i can be negotiable.

[email protected]

soundcloud.com/ethanb/the-retreat

soundcloud.com/ethanb/ethanb-journey-live-recording233

soundcloud.com/ethanb/the-grand-walk

soundcloud.com/ethanb/spets-suoiretsym

soundcloud.com/ethanb/frozen-rain-drops

soundcloud.com/ethanb/c-sharp-minor-stuff-2

soundcloud.com/ethanb/improv-on-june-5th-2013

soundcloud.com/ethanb/sailing-in-the-autumn-sea
soundcloud.com/ethanb/tracks

Only for a short burst of concentration and getting back on track with momentum, and you can only get that burst really once a day, so you might as well avoid the cigarettes if you can and just drink coffee when you really need the boost, then you will most feel it and only have 1 crash to survive instead of the perpetual crash a chain smoker or coffee addict feels (which definitely is not gamedev conducive)

Bug fixing time this weekend

>I don't recall much about your one hand game stuff
10/10 uppercut to gogem's jaw there well done

very comfy.

Sure, just interested in a side project to spend 2 days a week on and get some credits and history out there.

I do FMOD and sfx stuff too.

send me an email with your game or whatever [email protected]

What is with the 4 'Not Found' links, user

Which poster is the most triggered by 3d games in agdg?

I already did that in another project a while back, perlin noise with cellular automata for caves is neat. This game just uses a test interface, the actual gameplay is totally different from most roguelike/procedural games. Shit, it's basically a node-based room text adventure with a ton more stuff and a combat system piled on.
I'd work them if I got paid for it, but being salaried at a major tech company means I can basically work the absolute minimum number of hours and get paid the same amount of cash.

i just fixed them.

this is the updated link of the first one

soundcloud.com/ethanb/journey

Progress. How's this, guys?

me

Every thing I see a 3D related post I kick my dog

what are you making?

fighter jet roguelike

>roguelike
can someone define this term for me.

Sometime its about randomgen, sometime its about 1 life stuff, etc.

Nice concept, godspeed user. My pet project isn't a roguelike either, more a simearth/evolution sandbox. I like simulations, and I'm really just working on this one to improve the complexity of my coding.

Are you fucking drunk? What the fuck is this shit?

It's a set of qualities: bp.io/howroguelike/. Classic roguelikes exhibit all of them. Modern roguelikes and roguelites show fewer. And like you said, sometimes procgen is enough to slap the label on now. Also look up the "Berlin Interpretation".

Usually
>Random levels
>Permadeath
>Turn-based combat

That's the essence of a rogue-like. Often they just take it as Randomly Generated levels and Permadeath, but turn-based combat is a fundamental part of the experience that people choose to ignore.

Here's something kinda funny to me
The developer of INK helped develop/published Hacky Zack, which is a good game that sold poorly (779 ± 1,526 on steamspy)
But he prided himself on INK having been such a fucking massive hit that he was clearly confident in his ability to sell games. And when it was floundering, he seemed to get desperate on Twitter for people to leave reviews and such.
I don't wish the guy poorly, but it's nervously funny to watch people who had been on the good side of the indie luck machine see it for what it really is

[agitated canadian terrorism intensifies]

Sounds neat. Maybe take a look at Gridworld or something for some ideas.

Where is your game, sourcefaggot?

Total Biscuit just did an autistic 50 minutes rant on defining "roguelike" and "roguelite".

youtube.com/watch?v=-cu5RkWoW2M

Where is your game?

>accused of being sourcefag
It feels like I've finally made it

>he watches the autist who's every video is 50 minutes of autism
>surprised when he gets what he subscribed to
ruglife

It looks alright, but I'm no expert. I just wanted to ask someone who might know: why do the edges look so jagged all the time in progress models posted here? Is it the program they are using?

whERE TEH FUCK IS YOUR GAME

there's no reason to antialias the working environment

thanks

>i-its ok if u dont have anti aliasing, i-i work on this toaster on purpose
Lol. Still working on your mom's Acer, sourcenigger? Fucking retard tranny. :)

what's the difference between making something difficult yet fun, and outright annoying?

I somewhat know the answer, but I want to check to see if I'm right.

the difference is playtesting

Who said I don't enjoy autistic rants about videogames?

particle effects

unskipable cutscenes

my apologies, cancer on

Juice. Not being remotely ironic.

close
almost
the answer was, adequate feedback and no RNG so the player knows where they went wrong

explain how Godot is better than Game Maker

Godot has an actual 3D engine. Godot can use delta time without breaking everything, Gamemaker games always seem to be broken as fuck if they let the user choose their own framerate. Godot is free.

But for the most part it comes down to personal preference, there are things which you may or may not like. Godot allows more flexibility but it comes at the cost of you needing to code and structure your game more. Gamemaker does more stuff for you, but you have to follow their way. The way scenes are set up are different, Godot uses a node tree system. The scripting languages are different.

it actually facilitates game development instead of constraining you like GM does

how do i get u guys to like me?

make game

make game AND post progress

kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube

Nice hollow knight ripoff dude

>nostalgic and comfy
Triggered

I think I'm gonna just finish all the battle stuff before I move on to spells

Has bokube's game been vastly optimized in the past 6 months or is he just deving with a beast machine? Because I tried to play it and couldn't with an average computer.

Trying my hand at procedural texture generation. It should be easier to get something decent looking than it would be using example based synthesis like I was before. And easier to make a smooth transition between areas as well.

headache: the game

Looks like a Magic Eye picture.