>a2bikes.co.uk/

Motorcycle Ergonomics simulator:
>cycle-ergo.com

Webms with sound:
Previously on /dbt/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EFFWJwI6YjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=z_WcaZLk1xw
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Sonic_Supercharging_of_2_Stroke_Engines
youtube.com/watch?v=8oaathrV8Hg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for what bike is gud
>XL600R
>1250 eurodollars
>Restored by previous owner
>Missing ignition key

How bad of a deal is this?

First for Team Green

a cute bike

google says this is a TDR 500
there are more than one of these.
is this a thing? or is it some idk swap

youtube.com/watch?v=EFFWJwI6YjQ

at least it looks cool

kek its stolen

youtube.com/watch?v=z_WcaZLk1xw

what do you feel about this?

I was about to create it. ;____;

>looks cool
>disc brakes, unlike my previous bike
>4 times the power of my previous bike
>cheaper to insure/tax/fuel
I'm just worried about the price.

Did every single check already. It's being sold by a reputable dealer who mostly trades Audi/VW, probably got it on a tradein. Registration paperwork, framenumber etc. all check out according to police, so as long as the VIN on the bike matches the paperwork, I'll be fine and completely legal.
Problem is, a new ignition lock + keys is 214 EUR. That's an awful lot of money for shitbike, so I think I can use that to haggle him down - and then buy a lock for 40 EUR off ebay.

why did you take the spokes out to change the bearing?

What's going on there?

Do you use your engine braking, /dbt/?

2t motoGP engine in a Dakar frame
Basically unusable on tarmac

Yes, a good combination of engine braking and regular braking

well pretty much only when im in town why?

Yes. Downshift with a blip, don't even touch the brakes, piss of all the people behind me because my brakelights never even light up.

>1250 eurodollars
>worried about the price
poorfag nigga

yeas because my brakes don't work

why unusable? its a lot less powerful than say a multistrada.

Either no traction or constant wheelies
2smoke power delivery is the polar opposite of a multistrada's

Worried about overpaying, because college life.

An old 125 cc two stroke has a 1000RPM powerband, 1500 if you're lucky. A 500cc I4 is just four of them strapped together.

>his bike has engine braking

just curious if there are more retards like

2smoke do not have engine braking, or rather
If you do it with one you'll break it

V+-four written literally on the side of it

nah they simply just do not have any, let off the throttle and its like pulling the clutch in.

Nah, they have minimal compression braking due to the ports, but closing the throttle starves them of fuel, rapidly burning the oil film on the cylinder walls and scoring your shit

it does the opposite, you are thinking of holding a 2 stroke wide open, thats why they explode if you don't go up and down in the rev range, no fuel lubricating the bottom end.
at idle the engine is being bathed in fuel and it will start to foul the spark plug if you idle without revving for too long.

My mate has the Z650. Those bikes desperately need a tail tidy.

and more power LOOOOOOOOL

>LOOOOOOOOL
what does this stand for?

what the fuck is that thing

Nah fampai
if you're keeping the throttle closed while the crank is rotating you ain't getting no oil in there

noob here, why does the air suddenly turn a little orange just after the intake?

Fuel vaporization

laughing out out out out out out out out loud
nobike kys

rooooofffffffffffffffffffffffl

lol u mad displacementlet

>what is stationary jets

Blue=Air
Orange=Fuel+Oil
Green=Air+Fuel+Oil
Green+ignition=Red/Grey exhaust gas

confirmed nobike shitposter

Would rather nobie than er6

good thing it's not an er6

nobike

t. muzzie

>3 spanish win in spain

FIXED RACE!

the more I look at it, the more I think "This is how Speed Triples will look like 10 years from now"

Is it me or do those forks look thin?

thank god I won't be alive in 10 years anymore to witness this downfall

If Triumph cuts the budget in half or more
And they get a deal with a toy factory

hopefully not

Fucking spoilers asshole, don't talk about this week's motogp until midweek

Not really, it's going for more of a supermoto look, whereas triumph will always be more muted and classic aside from their headlights on the STR.

These bikes serve different markets for the most part, and instill different riding behavior.

Then you get the same complaints.
I never said names, class etc.

If you don't like things getting spoiled, watch it live or avoid places where they might talk about it.

What is your problem friendo? My 390 duke has more than enough power around town. A 650 is one of the perfect all-around displacements.

If you have to heckle anonymous people on the internet about how good it is to get them to believe it is true, then maybe it isn't actually that good?

It's about having the best tool for the job, and heavy high-displacement bikes aren't that for most situation on the street.

Too be honest the perfect daily driver street bike would be a 200hp, 100kg bike. Weight matters more than power, and power becomes largely irrelevant over 40-50hp if you're just riding on the street. Sure, you want a bit more for highway cruising (especially merges and overtakes), but you don't need it for B roads and cities.

>perfect daily
>200hp, 100kg

so you want a bike with 200hp to weigh less than a competition MX bike that is at the peak of performance capability when compromising weight/power?
keep dreaming kiddo.

>200hp, 100kg
I am become death, destroyer of squids

Let me rephrase that, the perfect daily is:
>Goldwing tier comfy
>Utterly reliable
>Zero maintenance
>Can take bumps like a 125cc dirtbike
>Cheap enough to drop/scratch without care
>Indestructible
>200hp
>200ftlbs
>100kg
>60MPG
Sadly, this does not exist.

Perfect does not exist, I know that.

>yfw it's a turbocharged 250cc two-stroke

>>yfw it's a turbocharged 250cc two-stroke
>that whine/rev
do want

not so much the power but a better way of delivering it. ptwins are lumpy and godawful to ride. yes, even the FZ07 and africa twin. it's "okay" but so is a 3 cyllinder diesel econobox. also shit are the much praised "thumpers". garbage meme engines that belong in lawnmowers and get praised for the riding that they normally accompany and not their other characteristics. they're lightweight, that's about it.

i'd rather ride a V4, V2 or I4 with 40HP than a parallel twin with 60HP. V4 preferred.

>daily 100kg bike
>pic related, it's you in a crosswind on the highway

You do NOT want a 200hp, 100kg bike as a DD.
That's only usable in perfect weather on perfect roads.
A DD is 80-100hp, 180-200kg. Easy to control, easy to manage the power, can handle some wind.

Everybody does.

>le cylinder layout determines power delivery meme
It doesn't. Cylinder displacement, bore:stroke ratio and manufacturer tuning determines how an engine makes power.

Most people's daily commute does not involve highway riding, at least not here in Europe. Less weight is better, especially for city riding.
I've never been bothered with crosswinds too much actually, even on lightweight scooters.

True, those 200hp isn't usable, but as long as it doesn't add weight, why not have it?
Why such a heavy weight? Don't you guys ever have to do manouvring or cornering?

ummmm you do know 2 strokes are all supercharged right?
thats what the expansion chamber is for.
it is called sonic supercharging which makes it sound even more bad arse.

Ummmmm you know that they aren't, right?
>A supercharger is an air compressor that increases the pressure or density of air supplied to an internal combustion engine.
Please explain how in the name of fuck an expansion chamber compresses the intake air.
Also, turbo =/= conventional supercharger.

I even told you what it is specifically called ya drop kick.
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Sonic_Supercharging_of_2_Stroke_Engines

>Most people's daily commute does not involve highway riding, at least not here in Europe.
You mean in your country. In mine and neighbouring countries taking the highway to commute is normal.
How else do you go from city to city?

>Why such a heavy weight?
Wind and grip.
With more weight the wind moves you around way less. Also adds grip, which is really nice in shit weather.

>Don't you guys ever have to do manoeuvring or cornering?
I have, my pig fat bike does it perfectly. Better than way lighter sportbikes.

Engine layout effects smoothness (due to balancing and the number of power pulses felt through vibrations and the rear wheel) and certain layouts are better suited to certain tunes, which have become fairly standard practice and aren't being changed unless you're an engine wizard reboring, shaving, shimming, and cam swapping shit all day.

Also, there's a lot of "why not"s. Even a small I4 tuned for more midrange like an FZ6's can rev towards the moon and be peaky because a 600cc I4 that makes 50hp at 8k still has room to rev as it's probably still more oversquare than a 600cc twin that makes 50hp at 5k

And there are "why the fuck would you do that"s. You can make a low revving, torquey I4 with looooooong cyllinders. You definitely can. Turn the stroke up, add more fuel, but it's not something associated with inlines because if you're going to have a low revving engine you might as well cut weight and frame width down and just use two big cyllinders. You'd get better fuel efficiency due to having less shit in the engine to move around.

But for the sake of good vibes and sound, put them in a fucking V. If I'm going to be three feet from both the intake and the exhaust noise I want it to sound like an engine instead of a fart.

>I can do Google mommy!
Nowhere on that entire page does it say how in the fuck an expansion chamber is compressing intake air as per the definition of supercharging.

An expansion chamber creates a peak in volumetric efficiency at a certain RPM. This does not mean it's supercharging.
Similarly, on a 4 stroke, you can calculate the volume of the intake tract to resonate at a certain RPM, creating a slightly above atmosphreic intake charge at a certain RPM. This does meet the definition of supercharging, and is truely accoustic (guess why Yamaha is pretty damn good at designing heads for cars?), but it's not a mechanical supercharging method.
Your proofless, citationless wikipage however, doesn't even give a single reason as to why it'd be supercharging. It just sounds cool, and then idiots like you copy the term and meme away with it.

>How else do you go from city to city?
By taking a B-road of course.

>More weight = more grip
Rubber would like to disagree with you, and you're trying to turn more amss anyways.

Of course a pifat cruiser will be better at manouvring than a sportbike. Now pit it against a lighter nakes bike, and guess who does better.

see just because you are tarded and it hurts your autism does not make me wrong m8.
sperg more.

Still not supercharging.

>6.1 ft
>158 pounds
People say ninja 300 is smol. According to ergonomics simulator I'll have lower position on 300. You should be lower on "bigger" sportbike or am I missing something?

if you think sportbikes are not manueverable you don't know how to ride a sportbike

protip: your balls need to drop first

youtube.com/watch?v=8oaathrV8Hg

if the ninja doesn't have ZX in its name it's a UJM pretending to be a sportbike

>im autistic and can not comprehend the fact that sonic supercharging is a real thing
you are just pissy because you put so much effort in and were proved wrong m8

No, certain layouts are being marketed as being better suited to certain tunes. Harley only making V twins is one of the big reasons people think V twin = cruiser.

If you actually designed an I4 from the ground up (instead of relying on existing infrastructure like that FZ6), than you could make it undersquare and torquey. They actually did that pre-WW2, with big I4 cruisers. Bore:stroke ratio is much more important than cylinder layout anyways, you could make that 600cc twin oversquare as fuck and rev it way higher.

The desire to cut down weight always applies, especially in sportsbikes and actually less so in cruisers.

Still not supercharging - and still no arguments.

>By taking a B-road of course.
On my commute that would mean about 30 minutes extra. On a 30 minute commute.

>Rubber would like to disagree with you
The forces of nature don't.
Why do you think something called"downforce" is so important?

Please read where I said they aren't manueverable. I'll wait.

>trying your hardest to get rear ended on a bike

The UJM is back niggers

Pretty long commute you've got then, if it's really 30min I'd look for a different job (or home) before I'd consider a pigfat cruiser, but hey, you do you. For some jobs, I'd consider it.

Downforce actually bypasses the negative properties of rubber, which seems to be non-newtonian in it's reaction to normal force. Even if it did react in a linear fashion (giving always more newtons of traction for every kg you put on your bike), there's still F=m*a you have to work around, which means you as the end user still to to put in more force to get the thing turning.

>big I4 cruisers

that's a big "why the fuck would you do that"
A torquey I4 is an inefficient meme engine due to frictional losses and weight. It's just too much engine for what you're trying to achieve. A high rev I4 makes more sense because you're getting your engine's worth in power. A V4 hasn't magically more torque but it allows you to fit the engine in a narrower frame, which makes for a nice bike to ride. Which is why I fucking like them, having man hips insead of a trappy thigh gap,

Likewise, a high revving, small twin is also a meme engine, and too poorly balanced to even rev that high in the first place and still won't make the power of a high revving 4.

>Pretty long commute you've got then, if it's really 30min I'd look for a different job

30 minutes is pretty common, on the short side even.
I'm lucky with going against the traffic jams, other wise it would just double.

we gang squad now boyos

If your commute would be twice as long just go twice as fast

First of all it is called "normal force." It means more friction/grip between your tires in the road. However the extra mass means you need proportionately more force in order to attain the same acceleration (in any direction, not just speeding up) so you aren't going to be able to maneuver the bike any better just from having more weight/

Why the blip? Moar engine breaking if you didn't blip...

> "why the fuck would you do that"
Because it looks bitching. - and it's theoretically narrower than a V4 given the same bore/stroke if you use a longitudinal setup (without T-heads/DOHC).

By car standards, a torquey bike I4 is still damn peaky. As an engineer I can understand your packaging concerns, but my fetish for unconventional engine layouts in motorcycles means that a torquey I4 (or I6, or flat six) seems like a pretty good idea to me. Look at the K100, for all of it's downsides it's a good cruiser.

I'd love a 15K RPM I2. Imbalanced as fuck, but if Honda engineers can make a 20K inline four motorcycle for the street, and a 15K V6 for race use, this stuff should be possible.

Where do you live? I live i the tail of the Netherlands, every major city where you can get a decent job is within 20 minutes of B road riding. Highways are so full during the morning that the pace is well below 100KPH.

Because my clutch/gearbox components are a lot harder than the petrol is my tank.

>30 min commute too long
that's not very long at all

>spend 4 hours riding the same twisties over again until become touge king
>spend 4 hours practicing wheelies

what should i do
my twisty riding is pretty good but my wheelies can definitely improve, but i guess 4 hours of twisties will make me even better on this road

I've had this toy motorbike since forever, what do you think it looks like?

I assume its supposed to be some old Yamaha, what do you guys think?

riding the same road back and forth for hours will piss off the locals and eventually ruin the spot because they will beg police to sit there, and IMO not that fun because there's no adventure.
Same for going back and forth doing wheelies. Wheelies are fun to throw up and fill in boring roads but I can't spend all day doing them in the same spot over and over.

Go ride new roads. Either make random turns trying to get lost on good looking roads, or plan a big loop route from maps. Smash tooj while you can and do willys on the straights.

>riding the same road back and forth for hours will piss off the locals and eventually ruin the spot because they will beg police to sit there
so? flip up your plate and take off like a big boi
>inb4 r3 virgin

Looks like an old UJM, but what's wierd is that it looks like a DOHC twin, but with a drum front brake. Can't think of any UJM that does that.

>narrower than a V4
But with worse weight distribution and a dumb wheelbase. Remember, the thing has to go in a motorcycle.

Clutches cost more than the minute amount of gas you use free frevving

>6 more months stuck on a 125

CoG on an inline four is pretty much the same though, and a K100 for example doesnt have an excessive wheelbase, neither do those prewar cruisers. If you really want a short wheelbase, turn the engine transversely if you really want a sportbike.

Meant to say
>Because my clutch/gearbox components are a lot harder to replace than the petrol is my tank.
But yeah, they're also a lot more expensive.

>tfw you will never ever jump on a 35kW shitbike again and be amazed by the power because you rode a 125cc for two years
Almost feels bad man.