Thoughts on Hyundai Coupe? Heavily considering getting one

Thoughts on Hyundai Coupe? Heavily considering getting one.

FWD and slow af
My V6 new edge could best it and that's saying something.

Check out a civic si

Looks nice, V6 sounds nice.
Cheap parts, cheaply made. Eats clutches.
Doesn't handle particularly well, isn't very fast unless you get the 2 liter inline 4 and boost the shit out of it, should be reliable enough as long as you upgrade to a stronger clutch right away.

overall they are pretty good, especially for that era of hyundai. They look also subjectively good. Only ive heard that they have minor transmission problems if not treated correctly i.e hooned

>hyundais hoonmobile
>It only breaks down when hooned on
Ah Hyundai. never change.

I'd be my first car and desu I'm mostly about its looks, but I'm worried about reliability and running costs... Oh, and I'm pretty sure it'd be fast enough for me.

It's fine. Nothing too remarkable, but not a bad car.
If something breaks it shouldn't be all that expensive to fix either.

>I'm buying a hoonmobile only for looks
M O D S
O
D
S

user I....

I work with a mechanic that has one, he loves it. Beats the shit out of it and it's still running like a champ. Engine does sound good, he is running straight pipes and it sounds pretty insane. I agree with the other user, clutch is a weak point. I think he's running a stage 4 clutch to take the abuse. Also, he's broke his motor mounts a few times and he couldn't find any good after market mounts for it (i.e. poly, or solid) so that's one thing that sucks.

>buying a car just for looks

Get a E46 320D and people won't laugh at you for driving a Hyundai

Is it the lower mounts? I've heard of people using Hockey Pucks in place of actual mounts and they work great

>caring about what other car autists think

>I'm mostly about its looks

this is the reason i bought mine, didn't read any reviews only looked at ratings, v6 2nd hand at 78k miles for 1k, previous owner didn't take care of it at all and i had to replace the clutch at 80k, but it has been solid since then and is a hell of a lot of fun to drive. every MOT it sails through and i've only had to replace brakes & tyres as per the norm.

>Doesn't handle particularly well

compared to what exactly? i've had no problem taking corners at what the police might call dangerous speeds in this. turning the traction control off is a must, then it's fine.

i think it's a very underrated car, but as i'm driving one i suppose i'm biased. it's quite practical for a coupe and has a pretty strong modding community if you're in to that sort of thing.

>diesel
>4 cylinder
>BMW

How's the interior? I'm eyeballing a 2,7 version with light leather and it seems nice, but hard to judge based on pics alone. (Gonna see it on a few data)

I think so, I just know that the engine hit the firewall when they broke. He bent his throttle body pulley when it happened.

Oh, that doesn't sound like lower mounts if it hit the firewall, that sounds like the rear mount snapped

>previous owner didn't take care of it at all and i had to replace the clutch at 80k
if that was a factory clutch you're lucky it even lasted that long. From what i understand its rare for the OEM clutch to make it past 70k

yeah the first time it broke he welded it back on but the welds didn't hold and it snapped again.

it's ok, plastic everywhere as expected but it doesn't seem to rattle much if at all, has ac & a cd player and the digital ac control is really simple, and if you're lucky you might get one with heated seats, but that's another thing you can easily mod in later on (there's space for the switches ready & waiting on the dash)

if anything the interior is the low point of the car but i upgraded to it from an old seat ibiza so i have a limited point of reference, i have driven a 7 series bimmer but that's on such a whole different level it's pointless to compare them. for a first car you could do a lot lot lot worse, i'm sure you'll have no complaints

digital ac control is simple but also fuckin awesome* coming from the shitbox i had previously lol

Get a Celica instead, Toyota reliablity, plenty of parts and looks way better.

I was also looking to get one as my first car, i tried one and its not a bad car, but for the same price range you can have a better one, and
i ended up with one of these, its way better built, and also suprisingly reliable until now (clocks 340k km now with mainly regular maintenance)

It's a 406 coupe, right? Also considering it, although I like the look of the Hyundai more. Care to share more about it?

If there's anyone worse at making cars than the Koreans, it's the French

I love how the car looks, its a Pininfarina design and it shows.
It handles awsome and it has a great chassis but its kind of slow, mine is the 2.0 DOHC 16v from the D9 version (2001+), and not the 3.0 V6. Also the stock flywheel is heavy, and the stock suspension is kind of soft (with a very low travel so the handling its still great)
Its a GT car, not a sports car. You can make it a sports car with some mods, but thats losing the point.
The interior I think looks good enough and its well put together with almost just leather and softplastics. I've had a few eletrical gremlins but nothing too serious
Overall: not perfect, but when i sell it i know i will miss it

>3.0V6
You mean 2.7 V6, Tiburon isn't an Eclipse

The 406 Coupe got a 3.0 V6 option.

lol shit, I thought you were talking about the Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon

If its stupid to rate the brand and not the specific model its even worst to rate them by the Country but if i had to...
>Japanese>German>French>American>Italian>English
French cars are not that bad

How many French cars do you know that have made it past 600,000kms?

i don't know of a single car that made it past 600k km

>French cars are not that bad

>he's never heard of the Million Miles Lexus

more than you would imagine. most taxis in france were peugeots and most of them had more than 600ks
My uncle had his 406 diesel and it lasted for 820k kms before the engine gave up

>anecdotal diesel
First off it's a diesel, I'm talking about petrol engines, the Japanese are superior obviously, but not every French made vehicle is going to make it to 600k kms, maybe more of them now would, but the same can be said of most cars made today regardless of country of origin

Except Italy

They truly aren't, I've got a Peugeot 106 from 94 and it runs great with more than 300k km.
I like Peugeot and Renault, fuck Citroen. Their classics are atemporal and will always be great and I feel they take risks in new car designs, Renault has always been pushing for new strange stuff that was only seen in concepts.

>got btfo now has to move goal posts
weeb cucks are this retarded

They acquired a bit of a stigma during the early 2000s, with the first Renault Laguna being a rolling electrical failure and Peugeot building miserable cars, and before that they rusted like hell, but mechanically they've always been pretty good and some of the most fun little hatchbacks ever came out of France, not to mention the legendary Alpine rally cars.

>move goalposts
I mentioned a Lexus petrol engine that hit 1 million miles, you mentioned a diesel, which everyone knows last longer (usually) than petrol engines, you are the one who moved the goalposts, you are getting mad for no reason other than your point being shit

>which everyone knows last longer (usually)
just like me versus ur dad when fucking ur mom lol

Go back until you can learn not to be this much of a faggot

remember:
>Japanese>German>French>American>Italian>English
no one said french cars were better than japanese ones, but they are also cheaper

I'd have an American car over frog made junk tee bee aitch

thats what ur mom said to your dad before i fukt her

when i first started checking autotrader for hyundais i also checked out this and the bmw 328, and the 406 coupe really is a sexy car, i don't regret choosing my hyundai but i'm considering buying a 406 coupe and making one of them a 'project' car

Thats exactly the opposite. American cars are just junk, not just the cars, houses and everything. Americans dont care about quality, they don't even know what that means.
sure some engines are reliable, but then again they are 20-30years behind european or japanese technology

The cars they have been putting out, especially from Ford aren't bad cars, they designed the new Mondeo and it's a good car, the mustang GT is a great car
Yes the Focus and Fiesta are European, but I'd take a Ford over French any day

i can respect a 406 coupe as a project car, i think it would end up looking awsome and it has a very nice chassis to start with, i've never seen a nice 406 coupe project tho, idk why

If you're set on wrong wheel drive, you can do so much better.

thats just your opinion, Ford isnt great either, most of them were built in England with also dodgy quality.
I like ford but i wouldnt say its better than Renault or Peugeot, they arent that far apart it could be easly another french brand

where do you live OP? kind of depends on that

if you don't mind being call gay by your (car) friends then its fine i guess

called*
fuck me

Yeah!

Poland. And why does it depend on that?

My only *car* friend drives an AR Gulietta, so I think I'm safe there (not that I care either way)

price of parts an rust issues
not sure about the first, but the second may be bad there

why

Miata, MR2, 2nd/3rd Supra, LS400, EG Civic are all superior and probably around the same price.

Because I like the looks and consider them no. 1 criterion. I'm open to more suggestions though.

>miata
Don't like the overall shape - kinda looks like a small boat with wheels to me
>supra
I like Supra IV, but they're insanely expensive and rare(at least here).
>LS400
I like more aggressively looking cars.
>Civic
There're aren't many hatchbacks I like the look of and old Civics aren't among them.

Will look for a NB as a second car some day.