Dwarf Fortress General - /dfg/

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Latest log:
>Kobold caves are well underway. Suffocated due to a weapon trap coated with giant cave spider venom. The site layouts are a little more involved now than the up-down natural caves, spreading out over a few z levels with some traps, guard posts, living chambers, animals, eggs and stolen objects. I've been working with the old entity animal code, but the next step is to update that to allow more control over entities and their animals. For vanilla DF now, that'll be so kobolds can focus on poisonous creatures, but hopefully it'll be a bit more flexible for everybody, probably focusing on creature classes and tokens. The old tags will still work as usual.

that's nice

Well that brings 4 out of 5 major races into relatively developed sites. We need toady to actually make elf sites not look like the same tree coypasted everywhere and we are set

Can I really not tell these assholes to put all these hazelnuts in a barrel
Do they really need SPECIFICALLY a cloth bag

So, first fort here

Immigrants arrived and I suddenly lost sight of my fortress, its nowhere to be seen

What do I do?

f1 zooms automatically to your embark point

you can use H to define 16 different zoom positions from f1 to shift-f8

you're my hero

btw if I may ask, what the fuck do I do with these immigrants?

You could feed them to your volcano. Alternatively you could give them specific labors to do through v-p-l or u-z-p-l if the ones they came with are unsatisfactory

depends on what you want to do with the fortress.

I assume since it's your first that you want to set up a "one of each" fortress. Well then,

Your first 30 or so dwarves should be assigned the jobs you want them to do. Jobs that don't depend on quality can have multiple workshops and dwarves with assigned jobs for extra speed. use the wiki to look up weapons grade ores so you get a basic metalcrafting industry.

From there it really dpeends on what you wanna do. Usually you can start trying to figure out all the industries and jobs, breach and secure the first cavern layer or dig all the way down for the magma.

Don't really bother trying to min max all dorfs, just grab the first 10 dwarves past 30 to make a military and give them armor, then leave any excess as haulers

I kind of fucked up then

set focus on my fort and now I lost sight of them, they seem to be on a different area

use > and < to change z-levels

Becomes hotter.

they actually seem to have joined the rest of the dwarves by themselves

anyways, thank you, that's useful to know

You put bags in barrels, you put seeds in bags, every dwarf knows that seeds don't fit in barrels.

Yes, i make this!

Yes that's what your migrants do. They're just additional citizens coming from the mountainhome to live in and work for your fort.

>migrants
>work

user is obviously just starting out, he doesn't have that many yet

r8 my fortress plan
>aboveground
>large surface quarries
>trade focused economy
>tropical region
>on the coast
>massive triple palisades and seawall defending the city
>at war with human civ
>huge totally useless port
>ritual child sacrifice

>>ritual child sacrifice
How ?

I never knew butchering and strangling animals to train adventurer skills could be so much fun

The first time you kill something in adventure mode gives you such a rush

As your fortress grows and you dig more and more do you move your dorfs and your industry to lower z-levels?

They work very hard on hurting your fps. Honestly, there's no reason for more than 100 dwarves even if you want to put 80% of them in your military.

Not him, but I assume it involves burrows and a few levers.

How do you even deal with that many idlers ??
I freak out when i have 2 of them.
OCD hurts..

>involves burrows

Since when children obey burrows ?

Just threw a dagger at a kea, with my no experience dabbling thrower skill, cut off the left wing and killed it instantly.
Sometimes this game is just so lovely.

Since forever? I'm pretty sure they behave just like adult dwarves.

people have been making daycares forever. just do that, but with murder pits instead of safe rooms

I expand my dwarves and industry to lower levels, I don't just pack up and abandon upper levels.

Burrows restrict where dwarves can take jobs. Eating, drinking and sleeping are all jobs. I haven't noticed whether they'll only play in assigned burrows, but it probably counts too.

>Since forever? I'm pretty sure they behave just like adult dwarves.>>

I'ver tried to make a drowning chamber for kids but they absolutely refused to enter it despite its being open etc...
They just played make believe for months at the time IIRC..

Incidentally, I advise NOT putting seed bags in barrels. Not unless you like the idea of having 40 seeds in 29 bags in five barrels that is. If you make sure to disallow barrels in every stockpile that allows seeds they actually tend to waste a lot fewer bags, since they aren't constantly losing track of every bag of seeds that's in a barrel which is any other dwarf wants to take anything out of or put anything into, less cancellation spam too.

You really do need to put a high priority on learning how navigating the view of your fortress works. I do remember when I was first starting out it was surprisingly difficult to understand. Just remember that you're looking at a 2D slice of a 3D space, and you control which slice with < and >. And of course the arrow keys/numpad move the view north/south/east/west, with shift increasing the speed, not that you're likely to need that unless you're using a fairly small window. By the way, are you playing straight plain vanilla or are you using any utilities, mods, or graphics sets?

>page 10

Wow, story behing that pic ?
Looks fucking amazing..

Is this the minas tirith attempt? looks cool as fuck

someone posted it on bay12. made an entire thread for it. you can probably google reverse image search it.

How many of us lurked the general before trying to play, and how many of us decided to check out the general after having already played?

I belong to the latter group, myself.

I've played since 2010, but I didn't start posting in the general until mid 2015.

Mounts for dorfs when?

how much RAM do you have?!

I only have ten military Dwarves.
There's about ten more gobbos on the list that isn't shown in the picture.
Armok, lead us into glorious death.

When I started playing there was no such thing as Veeky Forums

Toady said mounts will be added when there is a need for that which is when you can move around large armies in world map.

I think I came to /dfg/ first. I kept hearing about df on other boards and came to lurk the thread a bit and see what was up.

I actually only have seven.

I wonder if the gods are looking down on them, not too sure. I don't think they would allow the womenfolk and children to be killed.

I don't think he'll touch elf sites for a very long time. At least they don't just live in a middle of woods like hobos.

Anyone remembers mod which makes all types of wood, meat, skin etc. into just wood instead of *** wood?

The Enemy has taken heavy losses, we have lost a few of our greatest champions. The Entrance to the Fort has been closed, we do not expect the few remaining to survive.

Standarized Wood/food/skin - part of Masterwork.
I dont know if its available seperately.

Was it maybe accelerated mod?

Apparently accelerated was merged into modest mod, so you probably should use that. No idea if it's up to date with 43.05

that's the shittiest "feature" I've ever heard of.

different materials have different property, and I've never heard anyone in the industry talk about wood or leather without also specifying which type it is. this feature does nothing but impoverish the game.

it's to improve fps supposedly

I agreee i always turn it off when playing Masterwork.

any fps gained would be lost by masterbloat's "thousands of creatures, workshops, interactions and extra everything yaddayadda".

does the accellerated mod even have any documented effect on the fps?

>playing Masterwork

It used to be a pretty substantial improvement in 34.11, IIRC.
>advantages lost by masterwork bloat
It wasn't always part of masterwork. Even then you could also argue that it makes masterbloat more playable by improving FPS.

It has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. Almost all wood and skin behave in a same way, density doesn't do shit and value is worthless when you can make loads of money producing shit.

>density doesn't do shit
Once we get to boats, we can be sure that density will affect floating ability of different materials.

>value is worthless when you can make loads of money producing shit
Hardly an argument. You might as well say:
>having a militia is worthless when you can just hide behind an indestructible drawbridge
Just because the current gameplay is broken and easy to exploit, doesn't mean that we should dismiss everything as irrelevant to gameplay.

>doesn't mean that we should dismiss everything as irrelevant to gameplay
Fair. I should have worded it differently. Material selection doesn't make sense, so even if you make neat clothes and furniture with roleplay in mind "this fort is famous for its goose leather shoes" you'll eventually end up with shit like leather socks and silk boots menacing with wooden spikes. I wouldn't mind if material selection wasn't so retarded.

>density doesn't do shit
This is actually one of the few games where density actually does shit.

After adding [LOCAL_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] and [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] to blind ogres it became possible to make clothes for their sizes. They're still in the petscreen though but at least they're not naked anymore.

>density doesn't do shit
denser materials cause dwarfs to be encumbered, which is why you need to use wheelbarrows to haul stone for example.
Also, denser metals make for better blunt weapons, which is why Adamantine war hammers are absolutely useless.

>Masterwork

I really, really like this image.

Well fuck, so I was thinking about trying to get a "pick which site you start from" script working and started poking around in the viewscreen_setupadventurest screens to see if I could maybe fix names as well and one of the unk entries jumped out at me.

>tfw you recognize that bulge and see the adventurer setup appearance modifiers you were looking for forever

Nice, looks very dwarfy in style.

I thought DF's code was proprietary, or am I stupid

That's gm-editor from dfhack.

GIMP

You are the trippiest fucker ever man.

Wait, you're photographing your monitor, aren't you?

I must say, the effect it adds is pretty cool.

>gigantic ass

Modest mod and accelerated modest mod are two different things. Accelerated is meph's shitty version that kills the games flavour for an extra 2-3fps

New player here, so I heard if you give large bedrooms to all commoners the nobles will start complaining, is that true?

Only if the nobles have worse bedrooms than they have.
If you keep their requirements met they'll stay happy.

Nobles cant complain if they arent alive O!

They'll be grumpy but it isn't like it was when the economy was in place.

>not having an economy strong enough to give them exactly what they want.

>not executing the nobles as soon as they arrive

>being so much of a pussy you can't handle nobles

>building a featherwood boat in adventure mode
>equip it with ballista and a shitton of crossbows and bolts
>sail the seas with your crew of bandits as pirate kings raiding hamlets

To be sure, 'tis the only life for me

The dots is back, stronger than ever

and this time, it's personal

>not laying siege to port towns
>not using cannons to blow massive holes in the town walls, and any smaller building which stands in the way
>not taking a few strong men and swashbuckling your way through the streets, with exploding cannonballs and burning buildings in the background
>not chasing the local noble up on the castle walls and duel him, overlooking the blazing townscape as well as your ship
>not defeating him and forcing him into submission
>not using the loot to buy a plantation in the land of the elves, and then settling down after a life of adventures

>not kidnapping human children aboard your ship
>not forcing them to arm the cannons as powder monkeys
>not raping the power monkeys
>not dying of dysentery and plague
>not losing your buggery sailor boner because of the diarrhea dripping between the decks

>implying i dont drown them instant they set foot on the map

Im handling them alright.

Haha yea-

Wait

no

Dodged a bulled there.

>bulled
*bullet

What do you do with captured wild animals?

Do you try to tame them or just butcher them?

Depends on usefulness.
Anything that isn't war trainable becomes a meal.

>he doesn't want to tame badgers
They make cute pets

I just love when labyrinths have more than one floor.

It's too bad they only have one enemy.

Has anyonese tried making a spouse converting creature who lives in a labyrinth? That should mean that you get a labyrinth with several enemies, no?

if answer is yes, then do it
Is it War Trainable?
if no
Is it Hunting Trainable?
if no
Is it Egglaying?
if no
Is it Milkable?
if no
Is it Shearable?
if no
Butcher

Make it shoot projectiles in a line too

What's the point of hunting animals anyway?
Also, how exactly are elephants trained to hunt?